IMDb > Men in Black (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Men in Black

Men in Black More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 28:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Smart, funny spoof that is impossible not to like!

Author: Chromium_5 from Minnesota
11 December 2004

"Men in Black" and "Galaxy Quest" are in my mind the best sci-fi comedies ever made, because they are both hilarious parodies of two different cultures. Whereas the latter spoofed obsessed fans who take sci-fi entertainment WAY too seriously, this one spoofs the paranoid, tin-foil-hat brand of conspiracy theorists. It has funny characters, witty lines, and does not at all take itself seriously.

There are a lot of small details that can take multiple viewings to catch. One thing I found funnier the second time I watched it is the scene where Will Smith has just been severely lectured by his boss in the interrogation room when Tommy Lee Jones enters, asks a few questions, and tells Smith to come with him. Smith: "I can't, there's still a lot of paperwork to fill out." Jones: "No, the paperwork is all taken care of." Smith's boss (walking by): "Hey, nice work, Edwards!" This is one of many quick, funny scenes that you only really get if you're paying attention.

All the actors do a good job, too. I thought Rip Torn was the funniest character, and Edgar the bug was hilariously gross. Linda Fiorentino was one of the coolest female characters ever. She put Ripley to shame. Every time I watch this, I want to marry her.

Overall, it's a great comedy that is clever and fun all the way through. 8/10 stars.

Fun, memorable sci-fi comedy has lots of personality thanks to director, composer, and two lead actors.

Author: Ben_Cheshire from Oz
19 July 2004

Agent K (Jones)'s partner retires, so he has to find a new one. Street cop Will Smith seems an unlikely contender to join this very special service and help K battle illegal aliens.

Barry Sonnenfeld's experience as a cinematographer put him in good stead for planning this quirky fun sci-fi comedy.

Men in Black is given life by Sonnenfeld's shot-choices, for greatest comic effect, terrific fun musical score by Danny Elfman, and two perfectly cast actors: Tommy Lee Jones' wry delivery and Will Smith's comic persona make for a movie with some real personality.

Vincent D'Onofrio is a memorable bad guy - especially when we don't have to look at his regular face.

A few death scenes will be too gruesome for kiddies, but once they're a certain age its bound to be one of their favourite movies. Such terrific imaginative fun.

Woman: "You here to make fun of me, too?' K: "No maam, we here at the FBI do not have a sense of humour we're aware of. May we come in?"

One of the best sci-fi comedies ever made.

Author: crowrobot
22 April 2004

As my one line summary says, this is one of the best sci-fi comedies ever made, next to the classic Ghostbusters and the highly underrated Evolution. This movie has action, comedy, and some of the best special effects in the last ten years. Rick Baker, Hollywood's resident 'creature man', as I like to call him, has made such a wide variety of aliens. There's the first alien we see, Mikey; there's the Worm Guys; and the villanous Bug. But there are many others, such as Frank the Pug and the twins. The squid baby is pretty neat. Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith have an undeniable chemistry together, which repeats itself in the sequel. Linda Fiorentino is also good as the leading lady, and veteran actor Rip Torn is gruff as the head of MIB, Zed. Vincent D'Onofrio is also pretty good. My favorite line: "No, ma'am. We at the FBI do not have a sense of humor that we are aware of." All in all, two thumbs up, baby!

Funny Sci-Fi. As Good As Ghostbusters.

Author: mOVIemAN56
15 May 2005

As I stated above, Men In Black is just as good as the sci-fi comedies Ghostbusters I and II. But instead of chasing ghost's we're chasing after rogue aliens.

James (Will Smith) is an officer in the NYPD and one of the top officers. After a hard night, James is questioned by his own police force for allegedly killing a suspect who fell off a building. As James insists that the person was acting strangely, Agent K (Tommmy Lee Jones) comes in and takes him out.

James is welcomed to a secret agency which keeps aliens in check. After a brief examination of his life, James (now Agent J) joins the agency. On his first day, suddenly K and J are on a mission to stop a massive cockroach from destroying Earth and starting a galactic war.

The chemistry between Smith and Jones is hilarious. Smith has some great comedy scenes especially when he is using his new weapon, the Noisy Crickett and him trying to deliver a baby squid type creature. The aliens are smart, their inventive, and their just plain fun when seeing how they identify themselves and hide their identities. The story is funny and will keep you laughing at almost every scene.

The presentation of aliens as everyday people trying to live normal lives in Manhattan is a lot more fun than the presentation of murderous aliens (Independence Day). Another great part is that the film isn't overblown with special effects of alien explosions and massive battles. Instead comedy and chemistry keeps this top comedy flowing.

Men In Black. Starring: Will Smith, Tommy Lee Jones, Linda Fiorentino, and Rip Torn.

4 1/2 out of 5 Stars.

Men in Black: The Galaxy Defenders

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
29 November 2003

God, do I remember when this movie came out in the summer of '97. This movie brought aliens back in the strongest way possible, everyone was singing Will Smith's catchy song of the same title. But I remember seeing this movie and just wearing out the VHS when we got it. As a 12 year old kid, I just adored this movie and so badly wanted to be apart of the Men in Black. I thought they were so cool. Years later, I got the DVD because I wanted to go for a trip down memory lane, this may not be as cool as when I was a kid but this is still a very fun sci-fi flick that makes you laugh, squirm and also has some good scares. There is a reason why Will Smith is a star, he made this movie a riot to watch and has every star quality you could imagine. He and Tommy Lee Jones take us on an incredible ride through our world where the person that lives next door to you just might be an alien.

Agent K is a member of the Men in Black, a secret agency without ties to any government, whose goal is to maintain Earth as a "neutral zone" for aliens seeking refuge. K's former partner, D, has just retired, but identifies New York City detective James Edwards as a potential replacement, due to his agility to follow a disguised alien. After putting Edwards through several tests, K offers him the chance to join the MIB, which Edwards accepts. Edwards' past identity is erased, and he becomes Agent J, assigned to K by the agency director, Zed. The fleet warns that a "Bug," a member of a giant cockroach-like alien species that are currently at war with another alien race, has crashed down to Earth and is seeking an object known as the Galaxy that would turn the tide in favor of the Bugs. To prevent this, they are willing to destroy the Earth unless the MIB can secure the Galaxy before their deadline within a day.

The make up effects in this movie are just incredible. The main villain that was the bug was one of the creepiest looking things you've ever seen. Vincent D'Onofrio who is one of those great secrets of Hollywood always delivers an outstanding performance makes the villain even more creepier because of his jerks and twitches. The CGI effects are very noticeable but I don't think they could have gone any other way since the aliens are over the top. The humor is on key, one of my favorite scenes is when Tommy Lee Jones is trying to find out information and you see Will Smith in the background who is helping a lady give birth to an alien and the tentacles come out and start carrying him around everywhere and even slam him on the car. Men in Black is the definition of a summer blockbuster, it's funny, action packed, had the great actors and a very catchy song that is now stuck in my head thanks to this review. I still like Men in Black, I think anyone who just lets go and watches this film is guaranteed to have a good time too.

One of my favorites!

Author: obiwan-27 from New England
16 December 1999

I avoided this movie for a while because of all the hype, so the first time I saw it was on video (and I only watched it then because my husband wanted to see it). I was very pleasantly surprised, to the point that this is now one of my top ten movies. I love the deadpan humor in this, and Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith are perfect in their roles. MIB turned me into a Will Smith fan, in fact. I think the people who didn't like it were expecting an "epic" scifi film a la "Independence Day" (which I thought was way overrated) or "Deep Impact" or any of those other late 90s special effects films. But this movie is a comedy, first and foremost, and it does a wonderful job being funny. I give it a 9 out of 10 for executing perfectly what it set out to do.

Funny, effects laden sci-fi comedy

Author: mjw2305 from England
23 January 2007

Agents Jay (Will Smith) and Kay (Tommy Lee Jones) protect our world, that is crammed full of aliens who live among us, and most of them are respectful citizens of planet Earth, but every race can have a bad apple or two. Smith and Jones make an unlikely pair, but they work in harmony really well here, and it's a pretty funny adventure.

Fine special effects help to bring the aliens in MIB to life, and they have as much character as the duo in black, and they get just as many laughs. The film carries a good plot and is entertaining from the opening scene; which sets the tone of the film nicely, and makes you yearn for some more.

An Unlikely Comedy Team Carries This Film

Author: tfrizzell from United States
7 August 2000

"Men in Black" is a fast-paced action-comedy that over-achieves the whole way. Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith make an amazing comedy team as the title characters who protect the Earth from the scum of the universe. Everything is tongue-in-cheek and the whole film works in a really great way. A great film that benefits from its characters and amazing special effects. 4 out of 5 stars.

A great fantasy-comedy

Author: drevil1985 from Romania
7 May 2005

I am very upset that most people take this movie too seriously This movie is just a nice comedy with a very intriguing subject. Most people try to find bug in this movie but i believe that they should just sit back and enjoy the great epic line. Let's be serious do you believe that a galaxy can be carried around a cat's belt or that "Elivs is not dead he's just gone home" ? For this reason I believe this is an excellent comedy with a Sf theme. I also appreciate that the acting is very good and the script is very nicely written. I urge people to stop taking the "noisy cricket" too serious! This movie is making fun of the people who take this sort of things too seriously.

Fast moving science fiction comedy.

Author: Aaron1375
10 July 2005

This movie was really fun to watch the first time I saw it in theaters, upon subsequent viewings, however, it loses its luster. Still though, it is still a fun movie to watch. Unlike the sequel which rushes us through the story, this one takes a bit more time developing the characters even though it is only about ten minutes longer. Both Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith are very good and funny, especially Smith because he is the new guy so he is seeing all the weird aliens and such for the first time. This is also something missing from the sequel. In the end though the reason I probably like this one so much is that it sort of reminds me of a Ghostbuster movie, and seeing as how we will most likely never see another sequel to that movie it is nice to see a movie sort of like it in that they are keeping tabs and hunting aliens rather than ghosts. The pug dog scene is funny, and the dog is not over used as in the sequel, and there is also a funny scene where Will Smith must deliver an alien baby...their main objective in this one is to track down an alien insect that has hijacked the skin of a guy and is trying to find a universe. If he succeeds the Earth is destroyed, of course Tommy Lee's character is so calm about the whole situation that you feel you have nothing to worry about. So for a funny movie that has great scenes of Will Smith training and becoming a Man in Black watch this film and do yourself a favor and skip part two...not that it was entirely bad, I liked it okay, but it just seems like an unnecessary sequel.

Page 1 of 28:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]