IMDb > No Looking Back (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 3 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

A great movie

Author: dorothea from quebec
22 September 1998

"No looking back" is a movie that I really appreciate because the story is so real; all of us could be related to the character played by Lauren Holly.Who has never been in a situation where you have to choose between two road and knowing that this choice will influence the rest of your life?I also found all of the actors really good(I think it' s one of the first role for Jon Bon Jovi and he made me a good impression!)and Edward Burns made a really good job both as an actor and a producer.I recommend it to everyone!!!!

Fine film from Burns.

Author: Hermit C-2 from Marietta, GA, USA
7 August 1999

I haven't seen the other two more well-known films that writer-director Edward Burns has done but this one is excellent. It has a real feel for the ordinary lives of lower middle-class people, the kind for whom losing a $20 bet in a poker game at the wrong time of the week is a disaster, and it tells an interesting story. Burns plays a ne'er-do-well type who blows back into his old hometown looking for the girl he left behind three years before. Only he finds that she (Lauren Holly) is now engaged to another old friend, played by Jon Bon Jovi. At first Lauren is ready to tell this bum to hit the road, but he eventually begins to win her back, not simply because of his rascally charm, but because he forces her to think about her limited future here in town if she does marry her boyfriend.

Lauren Holly is so good here and such a joy to watch. All of her inner emotions and the turmoil she feels is there in her eyes for everyone to see each time the camera looks her way. Burns is also good in his role. He character in this film reminds me of someone Mickey Roarke would play, and I think he resembles that actor a bit, too. Bon Jovi was a real surprise to me, and the rest of the main supporting cast do fine jobs as well. If you like real-life or slice-of-life dramas or whatever you want to call them, 'No Looking Back' may suit you just fine.

Aimless

Author: G-Man-25 from Iowa City, IA
10 July 1999

A slight disappointment from Edward Burns after the fine comedies "The Brothers McMullen" and "She's The One."

There's no faulting the performances, most of which are decent...but the story goes nowhere and neither do the characters here. The movie feels aimless and lacks energy. Burns himself plays a ne'er-do-well and manages to make him almost likable in a scruffy sort of way and Jon BonJovi isn't half bad as a regular Joe. It's just a shame that none of the characters exhibit any real growth or transformation during the picture.

Burns' comedies were somewhat aimless too, but they felt more alive that his stab at drama here. Maybe he should stick to the funny stuff he does best.

Very good Movie, perfect tittle

Author: vaquerar from United States
14 November 2005

I think it is such a nice movie, this girl is so confused. I definitely agree, Bon Jovi is so great in this movie, I know sometimes everybody feels like not knowing what to do exactly, I like th scene when she is so excited because she is going out with Charlie, how excited and happy is in the restaurant and the difference in her attitude, the way she put the perfume on, thinking that her situation will improve and will fin the stability she needs. Then feeling so empty once she is with Charly and realizes that the past is death, that relationship did not work out and will never work out, and she has to go on. I think Michael's decision was kind of hard but it was the healthiest decision he could take, he knew he had done everything he could to keep the relationship up, but he understood finally that what she felt for him was not true love.

A Plotless Monstrosity

Author: Eric Chapman (caspar_h@yahoo.com) from Pittsburgh, PA
29 December 2003

A mood and a soundtrack in search of a story. A dull, flat, lifeless exercise so bad that it scares you away from ever seeing anything by Ed Burns again. Gives the words "independent film" a bad name. How did this ever get made? Say what you will about Hollywood's anti-art bottom line mentality but give them credit: they would NEVER ever in a million years greenlight something this slight and inconsequential and God bless them. There's no there there!

A drifter, smugly and unappealingly played by Ed Burns himself, returns to his blue collar coastal town to win back his girlfriend from a working class Average Joe played decently by Jon Bon Jovi. That's it. No insights, no spark, no wit, no originality, no surprises. Burns may think he's somehow honoring the so-called working class by depicting their mundane world and petty concerns with such honesty, but the irony is those very same people wouldn't be caught dead going to see a movie like this in a million years. (And God bless them too)

There's some pretty shots of ocean waves washing against the shore, cloudy skies and one scene with a swirling camera revolving around Lauren Holly and Bon Jovi, but everything in between is just listless actors reciting unimaginably stale dialogue. It's as if Burns were determined to drain what little potential drama the story had (you crave a scene where Bon Jovi loses his cool and decks Burns for going after his girl but in vain) and replace it with stony silence. But silence has to have meaning, here it has none.

Dismal. It IS as bad as everyone says. It sucks the life right out of you.

Suggests that Burns' initial promise has almost completely dissipated

Author: allyjack from toronto
15 October 1999

Suggests that Burns' initial promise has almost completely dissipated - this movie has barely a single line that rings true, and no wit whatsoever; the characters emote in dreadful cliches. Burns hasn't progressed at all as a writer or director: the movie is awful at generating a sense of place - the town remains an enigma despite his supposed roots there (take the bar scene one crowded night as the camera moves over various people gossiping and bitching - it has no pizzazz; it's flat and feels studio-bound and sterile). Beautiful Girls comes to mind as a more authentic evocation of this kind of blue-collar environment. Thematically too the film has no worthwhile ideas, and numerous plot lines remain unresolved - presumably because the movie was never really interested in all the little things it threw in to generate a sense of buzz and emotional breadth (like the friend who makes a pass at Jovi during the night he's out searching for Holly). The finale makes a mountain out of a decision that barely amounts to a molehill.

Not bad!!

Author: fattymoniz from Madeira, Portugal
5 July 2004

I was surprised at Jon Bon Jovi performance in this movie, apparently (and this is mean) he plays second roles better than leading parts. I liked him much better in the little appearances he has on this movie, specially the breakup scene, than for e.g., all of his performance in Vampires (altough the movie was OK for a Sunday afternoon, you won't remember it afterwards). A friend of mine even said "Michael" didn't seem like a romantic man (!?). The best thing in the entire movie is of course the girl. I liked the way she could play out the inner doubts the character was going through. The nerdo she was supposed to run away with was very good at being annoying.

I won't be looking back at this loser.

Author: George Parker from Orange County, CA USA
23 May 2001

"No Looking Back" spends almost all of it's 1.5 hour run time with a guy (Burns) trying to reclaim his girlfriend (Holly) after years away from the small town where they grew up together. Typical of Burns flicks this film is all conversation amongst working class people. The problem with the story is there is never any mention of a reason why she should want to go anywhere with him. No plan to ensure their mutual success and happiness save a brief mention of Texas. He has no goals. She has no goals. Her roomie/boyfriend (Bon Jovi) has no plans save the status quo. Apparently none of them care about goals and live as slaves of kismet or karma or something. There's no talk of anything such as..."Hey, what're you gonna do for a living?". Bottom line is this "dog" is shallow, simple minded drivel with some good actors caught up in a story/script which goes no where and has the ending to prove it.

Why doesn't Edward Burns' character wash his hair?

Author: Jacks-12 (sillyriss7@aol.com) from Bloomington-Normal, IL
23 October 1999

I liked this movie, I really did. It is one of the only roles I have ever like Lauren Holly in. She looks fresh and young in a movie where everything else looks barren and destitute. Take for instance the smoking mother. She looks like death warmed over. Okay, and why must they make Edward Burns go this entire movie without washing his hair? I know that he is supposed to act like a slime ball, but must he LOOK like one? Nevertheless, I still found myself liking him. You just can't help but love that New York attitude and indifference that he exudes so gorgeously. And Jon Bon Jovi! I am glad that Hollywood is giving him a fair shake at acting instead of criticizing his cross over like every other musician/actor. Without a doubt, Jon has a gift for acting. I have seen him in other movies that have further supported my opinion on this. My recommendation, own this movie, just don't watch it with someone you don't really love or it may make you realize just how much you want to get in the car and drive, too. Vaya con dios.

Yawn

Author: Theo Robertson from Isle Of Bute, Scotland
18 June 2003

I`d never heard of Edward Burns untill I saw NO LOOKING BACK but if his other films are anything like this then I won`t be very sorry if I never hear from him again . This low concept movie has little to recommend it , there`s no real plot and the characters are unlikable and slightly foul mouthed . Okay it`s fairly well acted ( Even by Jon Bon Jovi ) but that`s not enough for audiences who are looking for an entertaining story

Page 3 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]