IMDb > The Locusts (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Locusts

The Locusts More at IMDbPro »

A family with shocking secrets.

Author: Michael O'Keefe from Muskogee OK
21 September 2007

Clay Hewitt(Vince Vaughn)is a drifter from Missouri stopping in 1960s Kansas in hope to earn some money. He only has seven bucks in his pocket. He meets some locals, including Joel(Daniel Meyer), Earl(Paul Rudd), Patsy(Jessica Capshaw) and Kitty(Ashley Judd). Earl suggests he look for employment at Delilah Ashford Potts'(Kate Capshaw) feed ranch. Delilah's reputation of sleeping with her hired hands is common place. She demeans her son 'Flyboy', who is traumatized from his father's death. Clay finally fits in with the other workers and of course is a sexual target of his boss lady. Before Clay talks Kitty into moving on to California; he discovers two big Potts family secrets. The strong sexuality earns THE LOCUSTS the R rating. I really like the diverse characters. The photography catches the moodiness of the story.

ALMOST A CLASSIC!

Author: joe-274 from New York, NY
21 March 1999

I would much rather see a movie like this, that falters occasionally under the weight of a few cliches, than a thousand "innovative" films in love with their own novelties. This film seems made by young filmmakers who've done a hell of a job bringing a very American story to the screen with novelistic detail. Don't see that much anymore, and they almost pull it off here. Wish there was more Ashley Judd. Vaughn and Davies are great together. Vaughn's best role yet... hope there'll be more like it in the

Vince Vaughn is INCREDIBLE

Author: Doug-58 from Columbus, OH
14 December 1998

I recently rented this movie not knowing a thing about the movie other than that Vince Vaughn was the leading actor. What a pleasant surprise!! Although the plot was sometimes far fetched and definitely perverse, Vince Vaughn's on screen magnetism was evident. The man spent most of the film in an undershirt and oozed sensuality. It is evident that he has the potential to be the screen's next Brad Pitt. The film held my interest for the entire 2 hours. I especially enjoyed the performances of Jermey Davies and Ashley Judd. Kate Capshaw's character was under-developed but her performance was on target.

A very nice debut with a good story and some fine acting

Author: Philip Van der Veken from Tessenderlo, Belgium
18 July 2005

Normally when I hear or read the title of a movie, I have some idea of what it could be like. That's not always correct, but most of the time it works - especially with famous movies of course. But when I read the title of this movie, I really didn't know what it would be about. Of course I didn't think that it would be a movie about the insect, but I just couldn't form a good idea about it. That's why I just gave it a try, not knowing what to expect, but hoping for the best. And I'm glad that I did, because this certainly was a nice movie.

"The Locusts" is situated in the 1950's and shows how the arrival of Clay Hewitt changes life drastically in a small town. He's looking for a job and is hired by the local feed ranch's owner, an aging widow who likes to drink and seduce younger men. He quickly becomes her new lover, but also has an eye for her quiet son Flyboy. The boy hasn't spoken a word in years and is completely withdrawn since the death of his father. The only one who he talks to since his recent return from a mental hospital is his pet bull. But Clay wants to give it a try and gradually he manages to get the boy out of his isolation, much against the will of the boy's mother...

Even though this is perhaps not the most original story ever, I must say that I had a good time watching this movie. The acting has a lot to do with that of course. Vince Vaughn is very enjoyable as Clay Hewitt and Kate Capshaw did a very fine job portraying Delilah, but in my opinion it is Jeremy Davies as Flyboy, who was the best this time. But overall this is a movie that portrayed its characters well and didn't drown in an overdose of plot twists. This is John Patrick Kelley's first and so far only film, but it certainly makes me look forward to new projects from this man. I give this movie a rating between 7/10 and 7.5/10.

Deeply Moving

Author: SpencerX (everythingbeyond@hotmail.com) from Norway
10 April 2001

It's easy to get carried away while watching this movie. This is first and foremost a portrayal of people wrestling with their destiny and past, and ultimately facing a fate that seems unavoidable. The cast, without exceptions, superbly adds life to these characters that grasped me and led me through an avalanche of feelings. Vaughn in one of his finest performances.

Heartbreaking and Depressive Revelations

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
26 June 2016

In the 50's, the drifter Clay Hewitt (Vince Vaughn) arrives in a small town in the countryside of Kansas and befriends the locals Kitty (Ashley Judd), Earl (Paul Rudd) and his girlfriend Patsy (Jessica Capshaw) after punching their friend Joel Carter (Daniel Meyer) in a bar. Clay asks for a job to raise money to go to California, and Earl drives him to the ranch of the widow Delilah Ashford Potts (Kate Capshaw) to work with him in the slaughterhouse. Mrs. Potts is an alcoholic and promiscuous woman and hires Clay and let him stay in the barn. When Clay meets her son Joseph "Flyboy" Potts (Jeremy Davies), he learns that he has just returned from a mental institution after eight years and he does not speak a word to anybody. Further, his only friend is a bull called Jim that belonged to his father. Clay falls in love with Kitty and gets close to Flyboy that becomes his friend and slowly changes his behavior. When Clays decides to leave the town, he discloses a dark secret to Kitty. Meanwhile Flyboy's change of attitude unleashes a series of evil events and revelations from Mrs. Potts.

"The Locust" is one of the most powerful dramas shown in the American cinema industry, with a depressive and heartbreaking story of family revelations. This film is almost perfect, with wonderful direction, performances, cinematography, art direction and music score. Further, it is dramatic but never corny. It is also impressive how the distributors have neglected this film that was only released on VHS in Brazil. My vote is eight.

Title (Brazil): "Segredos Imperdoáveis" ("Unforgivable Secrets")

Moody Drama

Author: xXLegendaryXx from United States
31 December 2015

OK first let me start by saying I love this movie. From the time period, the score, picturesque settings and Ashley Judd is absolutely gorgeous.

However I'm a bit confounded by several things; how was Mrs Potts responsible for her mothers untimely death and why did clay sleep with her?

Even after it seemed like he decided it was worth the risk; of her informing law enforcement of his whereabouts.

On a gloomy note it was sad to see fly boy commit suicide, but I also appreciate the writer for not making it a cliché happy ending.

Worth more than 2 stars on premium digital cable

Author: ishpafaro from United States
6 February 2007

An American movie without happy end. Kate Capshaw heads a cast of young actors. From the start she comes over disgusting. 2 hours later you'll love here. It is really a very dark family secret. Vince Vaughn, Jeremy Davies, Ashley Judd are some of the names in this well-done USA movie. Who gives this stares anyway? Movie made during the 1997s. TRY TO WATCH IT ! The rest of the cast is young and horny. It plays on a mid America cattle farm. A seasonal worker, who may or may not haved killed a girl in KC, Kansas City, Missourri, finds a job in the south. La Madame Capshaw says yes. She smokes a lot in the movie. and she has a most wonderful main house ans cattlle field. A lot of blood on t-shirts and skirts. It makes it more hot. WATCH THIS MOVIE ! In Europe they would possibly say that if Kate Capshaw wasn't married to Steven Spielberg, this movie would have been never made? But watch for yourself.

Excellent vehicle for Vince Vaughn!

Author: istina from Saginaw, MI
11 December 1998

I have always thought that Vince Vaughn was a decent actor but this film just proves I was wrong...he is fantastic! Ashley Judd, Kate Capshaw, and Jeremy Davies turn in performances that would earn them award nominations if the movie had any media backing whatsoever. Great film.

The box art may be the highlight, OR so little story, so much (125mins) time.

Author: Doctor_Bombay from Lucas Buck, NC
30 March 1999

That this film has a running time OVER 2 hours, and has had little or no theatrical recognition, immediately activates my senses. This length will complicate scheduling on pay-cable, and meant pressing an additional disk for the laser package. Why?. One possibility (rare) is that it is truly an auteur's masterpiece, not for the masses, maybe, but important enough, as is, to be kept intact. The more likely scenario is that this movie is such a waste of time that everyone involved could really care less what gets released. By now they've all changed their names, left town, and moved onto the next..

Predictably, The Locusts falls into category 2. Vince Vaughan in a muscle shirt and Ashley Judd with her cotton dress flying in the wind are about all this film has on the plus side. Dragging and nagging situations, disconnected dialogue, and uncertain motivation tend to make most every frame tortuous to endure.

First time-writer-directors (John Patrick Kelley here) tend to script a very personal project, one based on material with which they are intimately familiar-they draw on their strength. Subsequent efforts can wane, as the writer ventures into more unfamiliar territory. With this in mind, I leave you with 2 questions: (1) Where in the world did this story come from? And (2) What can we expect from John Patrick Kelly when he starts writing from an unfamiliar point of view ?

The answers may scare you.