IMDb > Living in Peril (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Living in Peril

Living in Peril More at IMDbPro »

Let me tell you how good this movie really is......

Author: rbrb
19 July 2001

This film was recently shown on Cable and the opening 5 minutes is terrific....the music is compelling...setting the scene for a person about to be trapped in a series of perilous incidents...... (anyone who has had one of those days when everything goes wrong can identity with this film!!!) I found at times there were elements of Hitchcock-like suspense with an excellent performance by the lead actor. There are superb performances by the actors playing the apartment manager, the wife, the prostitute and the performance by the german neighbour is compellingly good. I was absorbed by the whole movie with its first rate direction and script. It is a black comedy....comedy drama...and the only dissappointment is the actor playing the part of Harrison...who seems half-hearted throughout.......deduct 2 marks for that but its still an 8 out of 10. rbrb.

This is what I say thriller

Author: joe-152 from Prague, Czech Republic, Europe
26 August 2003

I don't understand why is there so bad reviews. This movie thrilled me from begin to end. This is good written story, I usually suppose the end or the killer, but there was only in 50%. The civil acting of Rob Lowe is good, James Belushi played here an unusual role and funny is a part of Dean Stockwell as apartment manager. I think he enjoyed this part. Sometimes this movie is black comedy, but the end is quite brutal than previous parts of movie, I think it could be shorter (classic long final fight between bad/good boy).

Brilliant, absurd black comedy!!!!

Author: Mika Pykäläaho (bygis80@hotmail.com) from Järvenpää, Finland
26 August 2002

"Living in peril" was a brilliant, enjoyable, wonderfully silly experience. I loved every minute of it and I can't understand people who don't like it. Calm and stylish Rob Lowe was simply terrific in the amusing role of Walter Woods but rest of the cast was certainly even better, spectacular I should almost say. Jimmy Belushi made an incredibly clever, wicked and cool performance and Dean Stockwell was funny as hell. Patrik Ersgård (one of the scriptwriters, by the way) as a lunatic German bloke Dieter was one of the most memorable and craziest characters and it's hard to forget his pal Fritz either. Insane plot, undisguised violence, eccentric characters and dark yet absolutely hilarious humor. This is exactly what black comedies should look like! Great movie!

I thought it was well done

Author: matahari1968 from USA
15 December 2001

I thought that the movie was well done and very suspenseful. Rob Lowe did a very good job in this movie, there was never a dull moment in this film. It is filled with twists and turns that kept me rivotted to my seat. I did not lose interest for one minute.

Hey guys!This ain't that bad...

Author: BUTCHER-5 from Poland
25 May 2000

First of all,I agree that "Living in Peril" is nothing spectacular.The plot is quite interesting and the denouement is surprising-you won't believe who the killer is and it won't surprise you at the same time.There are numerous plot twists and the ending(as I said before)is pretty memorable.The cast is acceptable and there are also some good bits of humour.You can check it out,just don't expect a masterpiece.

Vot ah Tragodie! Vot ah Tragodie!

Author: kapelusznik18 from United States
29 June 2016

***SPOILERS*** Even before he got there to L.A things went wrong for young Seattle architect Walter Woods, Rob Lowe, in having been almost run off the road by an enraged truck driver-Tony Longo-for mot going fast enough in a 70MPH lane. Reporting Longo to his employer later has the well over 300 pound brute come to visit Walter to get him to change his mind so he can get his job back. There's also the man who's hiring Walter to build his "Shining Mansion on the Hill" Mr. Harrison, James Belushi, who never seems to be pleased with Walter's work yet still puts up with him for reasons we and Walter later find out have nothing at all to do with his skills as an architect!

Things get even worse for Walter at the rooming house that he stays in with his next door neighbor Catherine Langtry, Alex Meneses, making a play for him and later ending up murdered with him ending up the #1 suspect in her murder! If things weren't bad enough for Walter his apartment is infested with cat size rats that soil his blueprints for Harrison's house and his the house manager William, Dean Stockwell, threaten to throw him and his blueprints out on the street!

***SPOILERS***It's after someone-wearing a leather zip mask- breaks into Walter's room and fractures his big toe that he finally calls the police blaming the truck driver-Mr. Longo-that he earlier reported in a a fender vendor accident as the culprit without a stitch of evidence for the incident that the real reason behind Walter's problems finally come to the surface. Which go back to Seattle in what has to do with Walter's wife Linda's, Dana Wheeler-Nicolson, life before she met and married him. Effective thriller that has Walter fight for his life broken toe and all and when it looked like curtains for him he suddenly ties all the loose ends together along with the crazed killer who was out to murder him!

Contains Spoilers

Author: mickthemuppet from United Kingdom
26 January 2012

What started out as a kind of who done it with Walter(Rob Lowe) getting a driver sacked for road rage eventually turns into pure farce. It never explained how his drawings ever got wet at the start. How would he not know the girl was murdered in the bed next to him, after all they only had one bottle of wine between them. With the killer exposed at the end what part did the ex-driver play in all this. Who put the rats in the apartment. Who broke the glass in the car door and if was innocent what was he doing in the apartment block towards the end of the film.The Apartment manager(Dean Stockwell) said he knew all the comings and goings of everyone in the apartments. He missed an awful lot of people

Thought this Picture was a Comedy at First !

Author: whpratt1 from United States
12 January 2004

After viewing this film into about the middle of the picture, I began to think it was a comedy and found it quite funny. Then, all of a sudden, things started to get crazy and Rob Lowe(Walter Woods),"Austin Powers in Goldmember",'02, wakes up with a young lady in bed with him who is very much dead. James Belushi ,(Harrison/Oliver)," Return to Me",2000, visits Walter Woods apartment and all hell breaks loose. It was very difficult for me to consider this a thriller after having laughed so much during the first half of the film! Everyone will see this picture in a different WAY!

Extremely Implausible!

Author: rjbradlow from United States
25 April 2016

I do not know if this qualifies as a 'Spoiler' or not, so I ticked the box anyway.

This movie is part of a 12 Great Movie Collection on 3 DVDs in 1 box I bought from Walmart and it is NOT a movie that deserves to be in a 'Great' movie collection.

I couldn't even finish watching it. IMO this is Not even 'B' movie material in spite of the acting being better than the writing.

Walter Woods (Robe Lowe) has the most impossible worst luck EVER!

Everything that happens to him is extremely implausible. One thing after another in a string of unbelievable stupidity.

Yes people can find themselves in unfortunate circumstances but this guy and this film is just a constant train wreck of implausibility.

I cannot believe anyone could be as stupid as this guy, would put up with what he does, would find themselves in the situations that unfold or would handle these situations he encounters the way he does.

IMO this is one of the worst films I have ever tried to watch and Believe me I tried to give it a chance to recover but it just kept diving deeper and deeper into ludicrous.

There is just no way possible that anyone on earth could find themselves in the situations that unfold in succession for Walter in such short order or even a lifetime for that matter.

If it wasn't on the same disc with 2 other half-way decent movies and one really good movie I would toss it in the garbage.

The other 3 are: The Leading Man, The Dark Side of the Sun and Personal Effects... which was the best of the 4.

Not bad

Author: ctomvelu from usa
13 May 2004

What I saw of it. Which was roughly the first half, before I had to leave for work.

I will seek it out so I can find out what the heck is going on.

I never thought it was a comedy, just a weird thriller.

Urinating rats that slink around in the night and that nutty neighbor Dieter and that truculent apartment manager! Not to mention a truly obnoxious James Belushi and a very sexy next-door neighbor. I have always enjoyed Lowe, and thought he did not obtain the stardom he should have based on his earliest films. He is admittedly not a great actor but certainly always an entertaining one.