IMDb > A Life Less Ordinary (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 18:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

A difference of opinion.

Author: The_Slider from Manchester, England
3 November 2003

It seems that with A Life Less Ordinary you either love it or you hate it. Personally I am of the former persuasion, with it being a favourite of mine. I can see were the detractors come from, especially after viewing Boyle & Hodge's previous works. ALLO is in a completely different in style to their previous two films Shallow Grave and Trainspotting. But to say it is the weaker of the three films would be a fallacy. Stylistically the film is excellent - reminding me a lot of a Coen brothers film. The script is spot on and the performances of McGregor and Diaz are both excellent (which surprised me for Diaz) as their does seem to be a real chemistry between the two. A very enjoyable romantic comedy overall, and if an old cynic like me can say that, it must be good.

If You Get It, Its Amazing, If Not, Its Not

Author: ecwjedi from Toronto
8 June 2005

I remember seeing A Life Less Ordinary back in the late 1990s with high expectations as Trainspotting was one, and still is, one of my all time favorite films. What I got was a different film, but not in a bad way. It was fun and very different from anything else that came out around that time. But the funny thing was that after I saw it I kept thinking about it, little things; lines and camera shots that stuck in my head. By the time I watched it again, a week or so later, it was like the film was an old friend. There is a charm in every scene of A Life Less Ordinary and if you are able to pick up on it the film is a great experience. People I know are split on the film, most think its just OK. Although I enjoy ALLO its not perfect, some parts don't work very well and come across as corny, but the good, my man Ewan is just great as the lovable loser, far outweighs the bad and thats why it has a place in my film collection.

no quote

(This review was originally written by a man but then a robot replaced him.)

A Magical Movie

Author: RNHunter from California US
13 September 2005

I just love watching movies where I do not expect excellence - and yet there it is. I was very happy with a Life Less Ordinary. It seemed to me to be unique, charming, fun and just a great way to spend some enjoyable time.

When a movie gets this enjoyable, I need to ask why. In my opinion in this movie its "casting" was exceptional. And of course one then has to credit directing that puts the cast at their best. Clearly Ewan McGregor and Cameron Diaz can both be characters. Well, this is a movie that puts them at their best, funniest and most charming. The director also brings out their unique features as an actor and actress that just makes the movie enjoyable.

The highlight of this kidnapping movie is also unexpected. It for me was the song and dance routine with Ewan and Cameron. They were great - fun and charming.

This is a movie that I will want to watch again and again.

Another whimsical and wacky comedy!!!

Author: PeachHamBeach from Morro Bay, Hammett Valley, Twin Rocks
27 April 2004

Years ago I didn't really like this film. I couldn't get into it, but I watched it the other night, needing a Ewan fix, and I loved it!!! It does seem a very strange mess of a movie if you browse thru it or happen to miss a scene while going to the bathroom, but I made myself pause it when I needed to and now I seem to get it!!!

Part road trip, part romantic comedy, part wacky comedy, part fantasy, it's all about how the angel Gabriel (Dan Hedaya) is getting pressure from the Big Man Himself to arrange love matches that will actually last.

Down on earth, oblivious to what's going on in heaven, a janitor named Robert (Ewan McGregor) has just been fired and replaced by a robot. His ruthless boss (a hysterical Ian Holm) refuses to even act apologetic about replacing hardworking men with mindless robots he doesn't have to pay. His reason completely gone, Robert kidnaps the spoiled princess daughter of his boss, Celine (Cameron Diaz) and hits the road with her, hoping to get his job, some money, or just an apology!!!

This is the kind of film which is perfect when you need something very fluffy and fun with no heaviness. There is some violence (one very funny scene involves Delroy Lindo forcing Robert to dig his own grave), but it's so funny and comedic that it's not going to fit in with the regular violence in movies, like in Die Hard or something.

It's a very delightful film for anyone who likes Ewan or Cameron. I think they had great chemistry and the whole movie was just pure fun!!!

Nice little Fantasy

Author: jonathandoe_se7en
15 July 2001

After the success of Trainspotting (1995), British filmmaking trio, Danny Boyle, John Hodge & Andrew MacDonald made A Life less Ordinary. The film could not be a more different departure from their previous effort. A Life less Ordinary is a wild and sweat natured romantic fantasy, concerning our hero Robert (Ewan McGregor) and spoiled rich girl Celine (Cameron Diaz) and the two angels (Hunter & Lindo) who are given the task of getting them to fall in love. Boyle uses many great cinematic techniques to make the film seem even more fantastic, and Hodges writing is some of the funniest in a long time. Sadly the film does go off the rails somewhat in the last twenty minutes, but it's still an extremely entertaining film, full of bizarre characters and images that makes it one of the most enjoyable two hours you could spend watching a film.

A pair of angels are not to return to heaven before they've accomplished their mission: to make two people on earth fall in love and stick together.

Author: caroline-bjurstedt-1 from Sweden
17 July 2005

Finally, a romantic comedy that is original, intelligent and truly funny. Not to say unpredictable! Usually I dislike this genre, but i can't help loving this movie.

The cast is great, and the chemistry between Cameron Diaz and Ewan McGregor is sparkling. (And McGregor even manages to look good in spite of a terrible hair cut. What a performance.) Holly Hunter is great as usual. Please also notice the appearance of Maurey Chakin as the somewhat odd neighbor. If you happen to recognize him, it could be from "My Cousin Vinny", where he plays the grit-eating witness.

This movie has a smart and entertaining dialog and a number of unforgettable scenes and jokes. And it even brings out the romantic in an old cynic like me.

McGregor and Diaz are real stars here

Author: Mike-DD from Singapore
24 August 2000

I'm a big fan of Cameron Diaz, and Ewan McGregor caught my attention after his riveting performance in Trainspotting. McGregor is the bumbling kidnapper and Diaz is the victim who seems to know more about kidnapping than he does. All this makes for a really funny comic act from the duo as they progress from kidnapper/victim to lovers, with the help of some angels who live in a seemingly hip heaven. The pace of the movie doesn't let up much, and you find yourself immersed totally as you wait for the ending, which, sadly, could have more of a cliffhanger effect than it has now.

Probably the best romantic comedy ever

Author: kurciasbezdalas from Lithuania
1 October 2008

Danny Boyle became my favorite director after I watched this film. It looks like no matter how simple plot may appear, he still can make a masterpiece of it. The humor is pretty weird and subtle and that is what's good about it. It's really unusual film. It's not like other Danny Boyle's works (Tainspotting or Shallow Grave) but has some similarities. Actually it is even better in it's own way. Ewan McGregor and Cameron Diaz are probably the best film couple in history of cinema (or at least it seems like it to me right now). Althau some people may not understand this film because it's pretty weird and even may appear banal sometimes but it's not. I think it was in really original way portrayed how two totally different people can fall in love with each other. Personally I think this is the best love story ever told.

Finally, a love story that's not boring.

Author: squir1y from Stevens Point, Wisconsin
16 April 2000

This was a great movie. It had some of the best acting I've seen in a while(especially McGregor). I really liked the soundtrack too. Especially the R.E.M song they played when they were captured.

The story goes like this, Robert(McGregor) kidnaps Celine(Diaz) who is the daughter of his former boss who just fired him. Two angels from heaven,(Lindo and Hunter) are sent out on a mission to make the two of them fall in love. It actually seems like Diaz and McGregor do make the perfect couple.

I thought it was funny when the whacked out dentist operated on Ewan. His reaction was hilarious.

If you want to see a movie that's seems so far from reality, check this one out.

Not an Ordinary Film

Author: REvans9092 from Middletown, New Jersey
4 April 2006

I LOVED this film. It's a joyous, hilarious romp through the lives of two star-crossed lovers. The theme is original, unpredictable and full of surprises. Even the ending was a surprise to me. Cameron Diaz is an excellent actor as a rich-girl you love one minute and hate the next. Her quirky nature is presented in a credible manner. Iwan McGregor is believable as her fated, working-class lover. They act well together as a couple trying to deny their feelings for one another. Holly Hunter and Delroy Lindo are believable as well in their heaven-sent roles. There is violence but it fits into the scenes and is not excessive. You'll even laugh at the villains. Unfortunately, the love scenes are scarce...I would have liked a little more romance! This is a film to view in its' entirety...not in bits and pieces.

Page 1 of 18:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]