IMDb > Kiss the Girls (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Kiss the Girls

Kiss the Girls More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 15: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Make them cry

Author: Prismark10 from United Kingdom
2 September 2014

In Kiss the Girls, Morgan Freeman plays a smart psychologist/detective whose niece has been kidnapped. Ashley Judd plays a doctor who kick- boxes in her spare time.

A serial killer in North Carolina is collecting beautiful, talented women and keeping them in his lair before killing them, its implied they are tortured before their death.

Judd's character escaped from the underground lair in the forest and it turns out she has been kept drugged which the police trace and get clues to the potential killer.

The film wants to be part Silence of the Lambs and Se7en. Although Freeman might be older than the Alex Cross from the novels he is believable although he seems to end up in charge of the case very easily when he was supposed to be a guest in another police force and told not to mess around in the kitchen.

Also Cross does not believe in calling police back up which means suspects evade capture leading to a contrived showdown. Also it makes you wander if the girls in the hidden lair are well fed and looked after, which means the villain has to regularly turn up with food and provisions that would leave tyre tracks and the like meaning the lair is not so well hidden. Such flaws in the plot and some bad lines let the film down.

perfectly fine serial killer movie

Author: SnoopyStyle
10 August 2014

There is a serial killer on the loose kidnapping girls in the Research Triangle in North Carolina. He holds them captive and kills them later calling himself Cassanova. Washington D.C. cop and forensic psychologist Dr. Alex Cross (Morgan Freeman) is told that his niece Naomi has been missing for 3 days. She's been studying in North Carolina and he goes down to get into the investigation. Det. Nick Ruskin (Cary Elwes) and Davey Sikes (Alex McArthur) are working the case. Jay O. Sanders is FBI Agent Kyle Craig. Brian Cox is Chief Hatfield. Dr. Kate McTiernan (Ashley Judd) is the latest victim and she escapes with her kickboxing.

It's not particularly special. It's a standard serial killer movie. Morgan Freeman plays a cop with brains which is well within his range. While it doesn't break any new grounds, it's a fine police procedural. Ashley Judd is a good plucky victim. This is definitely not as good as the great 'The Silence of the Lambs'. It needs a super villain like Hannibal Lecter.

Loved it!

Author: SpikyRaindrop from Netherlands
4 August 2014

I really liked this thriller with Morgan Freeman in the lead role. All characters where likable and the plot had just enough twists, action and investigation.

Morgan Freeman plays his role excellent and that's the same case for Ashley Judd. They bring us just enough suspense to keep me bothered. I actually cared for Kate and I really liked her.

The only thing in this movie was a bit vague, was the continuity. Sometimes the cut scene's left me a bit puzzled, they weren't fluent. Then we where there, and then there, oh and now where here.

Somewhere in the middle of the movie, I got the feeling I know who the murderer was, and I was not wrong. But that didn't bother me. I like thinking away during the investigation in the movie and what the ending is. I am still in awe after the ending.

Read the Book, Then You'll Understand How Weak This Movie Is

Author: RavenGlamDVDCollector from South Africa
6 May 2014

Not bad as a movie by itself, but shied away from the hard-hitting book which, if filmed properly, would have been the foundation for a really creepy, really controversial film with a 2 - 21 age restriction. Instead, this lukewarm, pretentious drivel that is an absolute letdown. Okay, the book is gruesome, cruel, vicious, everything dark and menacing, and it is the absolute opposite of family-friendly and politically correct, but if that is what you want, go see a Walt Disney movie. Instead, just like American PSYCHO, the movie is a tepid mess compared to what it could have been.

I'd have suggested pegging it down a notch or two for the silver screen, but they brought it all the way down to virtually nothing shocking at all. That first scene with the girl being led through the deep woods had the absolute feel of the book to it, but cut away to the aftermath crime scene too quickly. Read that particular 'juggling' scene in the book, and understand what should at the very least have been there. How can I put it lightly for those with tender sensibilities, and who then shouldn't be at this movie's screening in the first place? Psychologists would call it rejection, but as a way of a final bit of abuse, the killer availed himself to juggling the girl's bare breasts before murdering her. She cried and pleaded all the time. I full well realize the cinema industry would have balked at that sort of thing, but much of it could have been off- camera, as long as this defining scene that absolutely needed to be there, wasn't omitted entirely. But film-makers were keen to cash in on the success of the novel without being willing to commit something at least a whole lot more heinous to film.

Need we talk about the snake? This would have been way over the top for almost all audiences, but again, the graphic detail need not have been shown. I don't think I am at liberty to discuss this any further on a politically-correct family site, so just read the book, and prepare to enter a nightmare.

If you don't wanna walk the walk, film something else. Leave a thrilling, suspenseful read alone, you are discrediting it.

A nice, high-tensioned movie.

Author: OllieSuave-007 from California, USA
29 March 2014

This is a nice, high-tensioned movie starring Morgan Freeman as Washington, D.C. cop Alex Cross, who learns that his niece is missing in North Carolina. She is suspected to be among the victims of a kidnapper who nabs young girls and holds them captive and kills them. The kidnapped Dr. Kate McTiernan (Ashley Judd) fortunately escapes, meets Cross, and help him in attempts to locate his niece and the hostages.

This is a good conventional thriller, full of mystery, twists and turns and some kick-butt action that will surely captivate an audience and keep them engaged. Morgan Freeman makes a calm, serious and thoughtful Alex Cross, providing some touching drama and good on-screen chemistry with Judd's McTiernan character. Judd, though, was somewhat emotionless and detached from her role in some scenes, in my opinion.

David Klass did a good job in writing the screenplay, adapting from James Patterson's novel, making a movie where the story is fresh and intriguing. Gary Fleder's solid direction helped with the plot's suspenseful pacing and generated enough tension to keep the movie attention-grabbing; I especially liked the part where McTiernan attempts to escape from the kidnapper in a heart-pumping game of cat and mouse.

While the movie leaves some loose ends, it's still good tension and action fun, and worth the watch.

Grade B

Enjoyable Thriller, Albieit Lacking in Genuine Suspense,

Author: Dillon Harris from Ireland
19 February 2014

Kiss the Girls is a good movie with a well written plot and a talented cast. Morgan Freeman delivers a great performance as Alex Cross, conveying the redemptive spirit and intellect he has very naturally, he suited the role perfectly and I think fans of the book would be pleased, he brings a realistic feel to the dark life of a detective.

It was, on the other hand, light on real suspense, the most thrilling bits are the things you only hear about, not see. I also felt that there was far too much spoon feeding going on. The plot is simple but it is as if the writer and director thought it was so complicated that everything needed to be dumbed down for the audience, it never let us use our own imagination and get a feel for what was going on by ourselves.

I found Ashley Judd very unconvincing, for the things her character undergoes she never seems traumatised by it at all, she is at ease all the time, I do not think she is a poor actress, but she simply is not vulnerable enough for that role All in all, Kiss the Girls is an enjoyable film that is worth the watch if you are looking for a good crime or mystery, just do not expect perfection.

A forensic psychologist tries to snare a killer of young girls, helped by the only woman to flee him.

Best Performance: Morgan Freeman / Worst Performance: Ashley Judd

"Good Thriller!"

Author: gwnightscream from United States
14 November 2013

Morgan Freeman, Ashley Judd, Cary Elwes, Tony Goldwyn, Jay O. Sanders, Gina Ravera and Brian Cox star in this 1997 thriller based on the novel. This focuses on police detective/forensic psychologist, Alex Cross (Freeman) who searches for his missing niece, Naomi (Ravera). He learns she's been kidnapped by a serial killer calling himself, Casanova, the great lover who collects young women and kills them if they break his trust. Judd (Heat) plays Kate McTiernan, a surgeon who also gets taken, but escapes from him and helps Alex search for Naomi. Elwes (The Princess Bride) plays cop, Nick Ruskin, Goldwyn (Ghost) plays former plastic surgeon, William Rudolph, Sanders (Angels in the Outfield) plays Alex's colleague, Kyle Craig and Cox (Manhunter) plays police chief, Hatfield. Freeman and Judd are great in this and together. I recommend this good thriller.

kidnapping

Author: kai ringler from United States
31 July 2013

Morgan Freeman and Ashley Judd give award winning performances in my mind,, Tony Goldwyn also does a fine job acting in this picture,, a forensic psychologist is called in on a case when women end up missing or dead,, among those missing are his niece, so he has a personal involvement in the case.. another woman narrowly escapes with her life from the grasp of the killer, and goes on national TV to explain what happened to her , as to bring out the killer, there she meets Alex Cross the forensic psychologist,, and together those two will team up to try and find the killer or killers.. very intriguing movie,, very fast paced action packed, thrill ride to the finish,, freeman and judd give fine performances in this picture,, this is a definite recommend to anyone a fan of the genre.

Intense and well performed

Author: Bene Cumb from Estonia/Tallinn
8 January 2013

Although it begins with several clichés, there are twists and turns coming soon and surprises last until the very end - I had several guesses about the possible villain, but did not figure it out.

The cast is evenly strong, leading by Morgan Freeman as Alex Cross and Ashley Judd as Dr. Kate McTiernan - their synergy and acting is really splendid (those behind the movie Alex Cross from 2012 should blush at least). The tensions are always visible, even in calm scenes, and frequent new angles make watching very catchy. Recommendable to all fond of crime movies without supernatural elements, as well as to fans of Freeman and Judd.

Decent thriller...

Author: Tony Bush from United Kingdom
15 December 2012

After enduring the dross that is ALEX CROSS (2012), I decided to revisit the earlier two feature films featuring the character, as I remembered them being reasonably enjoyable thrillers.

Seeing the most recent movie reinforces certain factors – just how good Morgan Freeman was in the role (he is, after all, a professional character actor) and just how well made in terms of scripting, cinematography and direction they were.

KISS THE GIRLS sees Cross on a mission to rescue his niece from the clutches of a serial abductor and killer operating out of North Carolina. When links are unearthed to another homicidal nutbar in Los Angeles the case becomes more complicated. Sort of a crossplot (ha!).

The acting is first rate, the story moves at a nice clip and the atmosphere of Gothic ambiance is effectively rendered. A good little psycho-thriller with some smart, edgy scenes and decent performances.