IMDb > Just Write (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Just Write More at IMDbPro »

Just a fun movie!

Author: oliver-53 (jwo.oliver@gmail.com) from Michigan
28 May 2004

This is as the cover of the video says a romantic comedy. A fun movie that although it is not going to change the world gives you a moment away from the day's trials and tribulations. Isn't that the best thing that a movie can do?

Jeremy Piven is a great comedian who can take any material and make it his, so any fan must see this movie. He and Ms. Fenn should make more movies together because their chemistry is right. This movie was made by men who have never before or since made another film. If I understand it correctly the producers are dentists who love movies and wanted to make this one based on their script.

Rent it and share it with someone you love with popcorn.

Just Write is Just Right!

Author: ML368 (starboy368@aol.com) from Long Island, NY
5 April 1999

I really loved this movie. It was such an enjoyable film due to the great chemistry between the two leads. I can't seem to understand why Sherilyn Fenn isn't a huge star. She brings so much emotional honesty and depth to her roles. Anyone looking for a fun movie with good acting and romance, this is it! Great supporting cast too!

WOW! I WAS REALLY CAPTURED!

Author: Weasel-25
11 August 2000

Dramas and Romances are usually movies I tend to avoid like the plague most of the time, although on occasion I sit through one or two every so often to remind me that men & women have the same basic emotions and that it is possible to get along and be happy. This movie in particular exemplifies this completely. Its the classic rags to riches type story with an unknown, in this case a tour bus driver, who falls for a movie star and in the process learns a lot about himself, movies, screen-writing, and the joys of life. I highly recommend this as a good family, make-u-feel-good type movie!

Overall Rating 4.5 out of 5

I can't believe I liked this flick.

Author: George Parker from Orange County, CA USA
4 May 2001

"Just Write" is a little - no, make that tiny - formula romantic comedy fluff pic full of filler with only two things going for it: Piven and Fenn. Yes, it lags and yes it's silly and predictable. However, the naive trolley-bus driver (Piven) and Hollywood rising star (Penn) do work together. Recommended for those in the mood for romantic comedy but have seen all the big ones.

A real fun movie.

Author: dewey22 from Lahaina, Hawaii
9 November 1999

I didn't expect to rate this movie more than a 4 before I saw it. The director has taken a plot which looks boring and trite and turned it into a unexpectedly good movie. Lots of clever lines(ala Neil Simon)and excellent performances by all actors. I gave this a "7" rating and should be watched whenever one wants something just fun to watch.

A charming comedy

Author: gfs543 from Atlanta, GA
19 July 2003

Jeremy Piven and Sherilyn Fenn are sane lovers trying to find one another in an insane world. They make a very charming screen couple -- why aren't they doing more films together? Piven's role as a tour bus driver keeps him putting on an act he despises to maintain an unlikely relationship with Fenn, who plays the part of a rising movie star. Just Write is a fresh, charming treatment of an old storyline, made enjoyable by memorable characters.

To balance the niceness of the two leads, Jo Beth Williams and Alex Rocco give outstanding performances as cynical supports. Williams delivers some great lines as Fenn's forever-on-the-phone agent, and Rocco, as Piven's lame father, provides an entertaining obstacle for his son to nudge aside so he can shoot for the moon.

Wallace Shawn, Jeffrey Sams, Yeardley Smith, and Stephanie Miller keep the laughs coming in minor support roles, and Costas Mandylor is the Hummer-driving, GQ- reading soap star boyfriend Fenn can't shake loose.

Relax and give it a try. I think you'll end up watching it more than once.

Great Movie! (and it's not a chick flick!!!)

Author: hawkman217 from Texas
29 February 2000

I rented Just Write for Valentine's Day, largely due to the reviews I read on this site (my adoration of Sherilyn Fenn had a little impact, also...). Most people thought it was a great date movie.

You know the basis of the story if you've read the summary, so I won't repeat it here. Jeremy Piven, from TV's short-lived Cupid, plays the bus driver whose favorite actress is Amanda Clark (wonderfully played by Fenn). He brings the same appeal he did to Cupid - - funny and down-to-earth. He really makes you pull for his character.

Sherilyn Fenn has one of the best roles of her career, even though it may not be much of a stretch (an actress playing an actress). She looks absolutely wonderful and, while I don't know what Sherilyn's like personally, gives Amanda such warmth and sincerity that it's hard NOT to fall in love with someone like her.

The two of them have a really nice chemistry together. I wanted to see more of them as a couple. There were some nice supporting characters who added a lot to the story. There was the typical misunderstanding, but it was resolved in a nice way. Some reviews have stated that it was unrealistic for a famous movie star to fall for a guy like this, but I don't view that as a negative. First, all good romantic comedies have similar problems (Pretty Woman, Notting Hill, Sleepless in Seattle - - how realistic are they!?); they all resolve them in an interesting way, just like this movie does. Second, I enjoy putting myself in a movie ("How would I react in this situation?"), and this one allowed me to pretend that I was pursuing Amanda/Sherilyn - - that's what movies are for!

In summary, (guys) don't view this as a chick flick just because it involves a love story. It's every bit as good as those I mentioned above. Rent this movie with someone you love and enjoy the ride. I actually watched it again the next day, and even fast-forwarded through it a third time to watch just the scenes between Piven and Fenn. It's special. My score: 10

Finally, a good romantic comedy!

Author: Christopher Smith
12 September 2001

I have sat through many romantic comedies. Almost all of them have been lame and predictable. Then I rented JUST WRITE one night from Blockbuster. I rented it because I am a big fan of Jeremy Piven and I heard that it was really funny. To be honest, I didn't expect to like it. I did. It was one of the only romantic comedies I've seen where there is actual chemistry between the leads and it was one of the only romantic comedies where I laughed. I laughed a lot during this movie. Jeremy Piven is hilarious. I find him to be one of America's most underrated actors. He does a great job in this movie. He gives a very memorable performance. This is a movie that all Jeremy Piven fans should see. If you want to laugh, rent JUST WRITE.

Sweet low-key people romance - looking for soundtrack info

Author: oneno (intstuff@excite.com) from Tulsa OK
15 March 2001

I have seen this movie on starz/encore and was enchanted by its sweetness. The movie portrays real people that I could relate to, imagine knowing someone like them and cared what happened to - all very rare with today's super slick romantic comedies. And you can't go wrong with Jeremy Piven!

I have also enjoyed much of the music used in the film. There doesn't seem to be a soundtrack. Where can I find a complete listing of the music, performers, etc. from this film. Thanks

Small feel-good romance

Author: robertg-9 from california
10 December 2000

This film has enough off-center elements to keep you hanging on while it slowly moves you through all the expected plot points.

The main thing it has going for it is Jeremy Piven, a very smart and inventive actor -- even here, where he pulls out all the stops just to keep things afloat. And he's just the actor for the job. His energy seems to raise the standard for the other actors as well, not that they haven't all done good work before; but he gives them all something to respond to and they seem to rise to the occasion with some equally inventive turns.

Thank goodness. This small romance needs whatever help it can get to convince you to hang in there with it. It pays off in the end exactly the way you knew it would, it's just that it takes so long to go exactly where you knew it was going.