IMDb > Julian Po (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Julian Po More at IMDbPro »

very good movie

Author: ogrizkoo from Bulgaria
2 February 2009

I think it is a pretty good movie.

It is a little bit strange but different from other movies and interesting in my opinion.

Also, there is deep thinking ...we see how change the life of people when they starting to look every day for last day in their life... they start to appreciate the moments and we see that people afraid to go after their dreams until J. Po appears to give sense to them :)

So, it was a good movie with messages in it, you will not regret to watch it at least once.

So, I voted 8.

A lot beneath the surface...

Author: amcwl ( from Olympia, WA
6 April 2000

Julian Po is a film that I hadn't heard of until a casual channel surf stumbled me onto HBO. I was hooked immediately. The characters in this town are so unbelievably strange and almost creepy. Julian (Christian Slater) is a wanderer, narrating his own story, who goes to a small town in order to end his life. When the townspeople find out, it becomes a sort of obsession with them. The children follow him through the streets, he's offered gifts from shop owners, and a beautiful, intense woman, Sarah, (Robin Tunney) falls in love with him, creating a very karmic bond between the two of them. Ironically, in the course of his procrastinating his death, he changes the lives of everyone around him. They ask him for advice in life matters. A man "comes out of the closet", a Priest denounces God, etc..

Julian Po left me sad. It doesn't end the way anyone would think, but it left me with one recurrent theme running through my head. Life is a beautiful thing, not to be taken for granted. Never make life or death decisions when you haven't even experienced life. And maybe one more thing... a real man sticks to his obligations... :-)

Tragedy/Drama/Dark Comedic overtones

Author: bat-lev6 from Virginia
28 December 1998

This movies has wonderful elements of drama. The Tragedy of life and the human perspective on death.This movie has a subtle dark humor about it, and in fact that is the only way to describe the ending.

The Point

Author: dementia100 from LA
30 January 2004

I think that the reason that Julian's past was not reflected was because they want people to relate. For example, If julian was going to kill himself because he...I don't know, let's say, killed his sister and was on the run, we wouldn't be able to relate to that because we've, hopefully, have never done such a thing.

Instead, they chose to keep Julian's past unknown, so when he states that he is going to kill himself, we can all relate, because, and lets all admit, we have thought about it before. They want us to use our imaginations (and for some of you, this may be hard) as to what his past consisted of, because they want us to relate to this movie in one way or another and say "oh, I can understand what he feels, I've been there too."

I also think that there was alot of symbolism. The townspeople saw the comming of Julian as somethink particular and strange when he first arrived, but when they found out that he was going to kill himself, they saw this as an opportunity to help a human being, hence the fact that they gave him several gifts and attention. But when he chose not to kill himself, the town felt taken for their good nature; they gave to him, trying to make his last days meaningful and with kind people, however expecting him to later take his own life. This, I think, is the meaning of the movie.

allegory of the price of fame

Author: darobsta from New Zealand
7 November 2001

I've only seen this movie once, so my interpretation might be a little off, but it seemed to me to be an allegory of the price of fame, how famous people, in American popular culture in particular, are often driven to suicide. Of course there are a few holes in my theory: Julian never sought fame himself, but the relentless media attention (the group of children who followed him around), the riches and free stuff he received, and the boredom of a small town (representing America in general) has nothing better to do than make a celebrity out of an ordinary person. And finally, the callousness of the people when they drive him to suicide sums up the allegory.

Forgive my interpretation if it's wrong... but those were just my ideas.

A story filled with both comedy and tragedy...

Author: Patrick Bradley from CT, USA
3 September 1999

This was a movie I had no history of prior to viewing. I watched it out of curiosity and boredom. It was not a waste of time.

Though it begins rather vague, the story quickly picks up withen the first 20 minutes. You find yourself laughing as the movie progresses at the many different and unusual reactions of the townspeople to Julian's announcement of suicide.

Though sometimes dragging, quotes like "You can all go home! I'm not going to kill myself today!" make the movie worthwhile.

The weak-excused ending may seem frustrating, but it leaves you with a sense of awe as the credits roll and you watch for a few minutes thinking "What now?"

In my book, any movie that leaves me speechless and thinking at the end is a good one. And if you liked this, may I also suggest Gods and Monsters (1998).

Where's the Point?

Author: Jennel2 from Arizona
10 July 2002

I really, really wanted to like Julian Po. I think that Slater is underrated as an actor, and that many of the supporting players here are better than they are given a chance to demonstrate in this film. I realize this is based on a short story which I have not read. So, I do not know if what I see as the film's faults originated with the story, or were imposed on it by the director/screenwriter. The premise is wonderful, and I loved the voiceover, confessional tone the opening narration strikes. But then...? Nothing! Several of the cliched local characters ask Julian pointblank to explain his intention to commit suicide. One could argue that he doesn't answer, because it's none of their business. But Julian is the one who, under only token pressure, blurted out his intentions in public. Then neither Julian nor the director/writer, despite the fact that the Julian character is keeping a tape recorded journal for God's sake, seem inclined to provide anything beyond the scant initial information on Julian's life. He says he was a bookkeeper. He says his family moved around when he was a child, due to his father's job. So what? There are several interactions with the locals which seem designed to illuminate Julian's purpose. But none of them go anywhere, because Julian seems to regard all these dopey locals as if they were aliens from another planet, as if he were the ultimate (and only) sane one among them. This might work as an allegory, if Julian Po had any defining characteristics or anything approaching wisdom to impart. The closest he comes to revealing anything about himself is in the scene in which he purposely humiliates the naive, religious wife of the mechanic. And what this scene reveals is not anything that would inspire empathy for Julian. I can only see the Julian character --as rendered--as selfish, petty, and totally condescending. Sort of matches the attitude of the director of this half-baked, contrived film. And poor Michael Parks, an actor who once had so much promise, is given nothing to work with here.

Strange-But-Nice Story Except For One Cheap Shot

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
8 April 2006

This was a strange little movie that got poor reviews and normally wouldn't have been something that would have interested me....but I liked it. It had one basic message: committing suicide is not the answer. Can't argue with that!

Strange characters abound in this dark comedy-drama as Christian Slater passes through a small town of curious inhabitants. I liked his narration and many of the characters in here.

The only thing I didn't like was yet another cheap shot at a minister (how many times have I seen this?). In this film, the minister tells his congregation he doesn't believe in God. Then the filmmakers make him out to be a great guy that we all like. The atheists in Hollywood just never cease in their anti-God propaganda.

Too bad, because the rest of the film is very likable and I enjoyed it, including the cinematography. Since this was a "one-joke story," they were smart enough to keep this short at 80 minutes.

Think Twice Before you Kill Yourself!

Author: whpratt1 from United States
22 October 2004

Just the name of the picture makes you want to see if this is a BOMB or an interesting story! As I watched the beginning of the picture and watched Christian Slater,(Julian Po),"Mindhunters",'04, stroll down this very old town that looked like it was from the Dark Ages, it started to capture my interest. Julian Po picks this town to sort of destroy himself and runs into all kinds of situations, meeting a minister, barber, hotel owner and lots of women for warm romantic SEX! Po meets Robin Tunney,(Sarah),"Paparazzi",'04 who arranges all kinds of candles around his bed and falls madly in love with him. Christian Slater and Robin Tunney gave outstanding performances in a rather difficult character role. You can possibly laugh and cry with this film.

unexpectedly sad:

Author: lamb7 from Seattle, WA
26 July 1999

Reading the back of the box at the video store I work at, I saw Julian Po listed as a romantic comedy. This is extremely not true. The only romance involved was Julian and Sarah suddenly falling in love, because Sarah was certain he was the man of her dreams, even though she had just met him. The only funny thing was the people of the small town- they totally pushed him into saying he was planning on killing himself. > It was an interesting movie to watch, but pretty depressing. I don't think I would rent it again.