IMDb > The House of Yes (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Outstanding Small Film

Author: Fourstar from NYC
3 February 1999

Don't listen to reviews that tag this movie with a "predictable" or "poor" ending - they don't get it. The House of Yes is a brilliant adaptation of stage-to-film. Although the entire movie takes place in a single location, there is no claustrophobic effect - the result of magical cinematography. Each room of the house reveals a new secret, a new mystery. The acting is superb, due to the amazing range of affect offered by Parker Posey, sharply contrasted by the humorously flattened delivery of the other cast members. The script is flawless, the directing well-hidden. Nothing about this movie screams "This is a cool indie film I just made" (hopefully a doomed approach to filmmaking) This is not Ben Affleck posing as a post-punk Dalai Lama in a waste of celluloid, but a true work of art. The incest issue is handled with grace, wit, and true affection, not to mention the laugh-out-loud black humor. It's one of my top ten, right up there with True Romance, Naked Lunch and Miller's Crossing. Again, don't fret over warnings about a predictable ending - the ending is not what it seems. Think about it.

I will never read film reviews again!

Author: Jelly-4 from Baltimore, MD
18 June 1999

This is the kind of movie that I would have ordinarily RUSHED to the movie theaters to see. It's got all the right elements: it's dark comedy, a great female lead, a bizarre storyline...Yet I read reviews that the movie disappoints so I was in no rush to see it. But I finally saw it last night and wow was it great! What terrific performances, esp. from Genevieve Bujold. Posey was as delightful as ever, and even Spelling was able to do a complete 180 in contrast to her usual Bev. Hills type. The dialogue was so witty yet dark. It's a two night rental so for the first time I think I'll see a movie twice in two days! I give this movie a 9 - I would give it a 10 if it weren't for the very predictable ending.

House of Fun for the sick-minded and perverse

Author: Miles Keaton Andrew (miles@mkandrew.com)
27 January 2004

The House of Yes is one of my personal favorites. Is it creepy? Yes. Is it funny? No - it's hysterical, at least to those of us accustomed to laughing at things you're not supposed to laugh about - like bizarre social taboo. Younger indie fans may not care for this flick, but The House of Yes is not to be compared with the likes of Chasing Amy. For Parker Posey fans, the film is apples to the oranges of Party Girl, Henry Fool, Clockwatchers, etc.

The House of Yes was adapted from Wendy McLeod's play, so it is a dialogue film with its own language - similar to the Coens' Miller's Crossing. As with Miller's Crossing, the snappy dialogue never misses. While watching The House of Yes, I've caught myself rewinding to catch a phrase I missed because I was still laughing a the preceding gag.

Facial closeups dominate this film, and for reason - the actors' expressions are more telling than the dialogue, delivered flawlessly by every member of the crew - looks you could spread onto a cracker, like when Mama (Bujold) warns her son Marty about Jackie-O's mental state: "I'm going to baste the turkey, and hide the kitchen knives."

The film's biggest surprise: Tori Spelling, as a prudish and naiive Pennsylvanian - perhaps her most believable role to date.

If there were a Cooperstown for comedic acting, this film alone puts Parker Posey into the Hall of Fame.

Highly recommended for the sick-minded and perverse.

Miles Keaton Andrew

Wonderful, Altmanesque: Nashville meets 5 & Dime Jimmy Dean

Author: Jared X from New York City
6 May 1999

A wonderful Altmanesque cross between Nashville and Come back to the Five and Dime Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean. This is one obsessive, compulsive, spread-eagled, dysfunctional play, extremely well written and very tight. Parker Posey's best performance yet and extremely well cast all around.

I can't recommend it highly enough. This is the kind of movie worth waiting years for!

Enjoy.

Quirky & Loving it

Author: P Adkins from Long Beach
12 July 2002

When you have a house with 5 insane family members in it, you know it has got to be interesting. The strange mother. The foolish dumb son. The other son who has "some kind of past." The girlfriend who reminds me alot or Chrissy &/or Cindy Snow from Three's Company. The daughter, who by far is the craziest insane & jealous person you will meet...played by no other than the incredible Parker Posey! The second this film started, I was hooked. For sure this movie is NOT for everyone. But if you enjoy independant quirky flims, then this is MUST-SEE! Its twisted, perverted, and in some parts mad. In my opinion, Parker has yet to do a bad movie. But if you are not familer with her work, this is a good one to start with. If you like this, you'll enjoy: Clockwatchers; Party Girl; Misadventures of Margret. 1-10(10)Z.

Parker Posey rules the screen!

Author: yossarian100 from usa
31 December 2003

Doing a film adaptation of a play rarely works, but when it does, as it most assuredly does in this movie, the performances are overwhelming and intoxicating. Parker Posey's characterization will be forever burned into my memory. The House Of Yes is completely enjoyable, even startling, and is a 'must see' excellent piece of cinema.

One Screwed Up LOT

Author: bellhollow from Nashville, Tennessee
6 April 2004

This movie is about the games between twins and their incestuous relationship. The whole family is screwed up beyond repair. Everyone seems to have a really bad hang-up on someone. The banter among the siblings is hilarious and they set each other up as much as possible to keep their screwed up family ticking. And the family keeps on ticking. The acting is very good and the movie flows very quickly. The ending stays true to the insane qualities of the family. The reality of this is how would someone get away with murder without somebody asking? Either someone got away or they got murdered and that just makes me believe the family would be found out and all sent to the looney bin. Even if you don't like the subject matter, the movie works keeping the characters nutty as all get out. You should watch this.

incredible

Author: schmucko from indiana
6 May 1999

Seldom does a movie manage to be at the same time this dark and this funny. Nearly every line of dialogue is wickedly sarcastic--as a playwright, I spent of the time during my first viewing wishing that I could write such biting dialogue.

Parker Posey is wonderful, as is Josh Hamilton as her brother-with-benefits. The mother (the actress' name escapes me right now) is also wonderful, despite her deficient screen time. Even Tori Spelling--pariah of good actors everywhere--does a great job as Hamilton's stupid/naive fiancee (a bit of helpful typecasting). In fact, only Freddy Prinze jr. really didn't do that well in this movie, but his performance was by no means bad enough to ruin it. He seemed handily the most awkward of the bunch.

At any rate, I wound up watching it again, two days after the first time, and would recommend that anyone who hasn't done so follow my lead. Not only doesn't it lose anything on second screening, but the whole thing gets better (check out the Posey/Spellling "Marty's first girlfriend" scene)...

Parker Posey At Her Best!

Author: Jerry (Nglas) from Tennessee
15 July 2008

Very few movies based on plays can be successful, but House of Yes is not one of those that fail. It succeeds where others have failed because of the energy put into a film that is mostly dialog. Parker Posey shines as Jackie-O, the mentally troubled sister of Josh Hamilton and Freddy Prinze Jr. Tori Spelling, whose only other film I have enjoyed was Trick, did a great job of playing Jackie-O's doormat.

The movie is at its strongest when Parker bares her sadness, always hidden beneath sarcasm. A classic movie of family dysfunction without playing out the same old tired roles. This family is anything but a typical dysfunctional family and though they all appear to be nuts, part of you wants to run out and find a family just like them, because looking past all of the sarcasm and insults, you sense and feel the love.

I highly recommend this movie to anyone who wants to see strong acting. Parker Posey is on top of her game here.

Los Angeles, California

Author: mml6
19 June 2000

One would think that Tori Spelling being in the cast of this movie would immediately signal its poor quality, but The House of Yes is a rare exception to that rule. Dark, twisted, and wickedly funny, one can't help but be drawn into the delusional world of Jackie O. Her family can't seem to either, as they revolve around her, half in reality and half out. This strange, surreal dynamic drives the film, and brings most of the comedy. A definite must see for fans of Parker Posey, and for anyone who considers themselves knowledgeable in the world of indie film.

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]