IMDb > The Horse Whisperer (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Horse Whisperer

The Horse Whisperer More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 27: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Visually stunning

Author: giuliano-3 from san diego
8 March 2000

Like "A River Runs Through It" Redford returned to Montana to shoot a film in the state's natural splendor. Unlike the aforementioned film, however, the plot is dull and the characters dumb. Bob Richardson saves this film from itself. The director of photography, better known for his Oliver Stone films than any others, scores what may be his best yet as DP. The visuals are simply stunning and, for me, left me yearning for more nature shots and less horse listening and child whining. This may be the the most apathetic Redford character since "Three Days Of The Condor" and audience apathy certainly doesn't help out Redford in any role other than like the one he had in the thrilling "Condor." He needs to direct, i.e. "River" and "Ordinary People" or act. Not both at the same time. He has lost his appeal with women under the age of 50, and should not consider himself the playboy that he once was, i.e. no more roles like the one he had in "Indecent Proposal." I respect Redford and believe that he can be one of the more influential directors during the next 20 years, but I think he needs to envision himself behind the monitors instead of in front of the camera.

A good film when you want to take a break from suburbia...

Author: marky-13 from Rochester, NY
5 March 2000

I admit I didn't want to see this film when it was in theaters. However months later in the video rental store, I decided to take a chance, figuring I had 3 hours to kill anyways. What a movie! There are only 3 other movies I have seen in my lifetime that moved me as much as this film. Excellent cinematography. Locations shots were breathtaking. I got lost in the film, taking in every detail. The 3 hours went by so quickly. Seeing it again on HBO, I am still taken in.

Powerful & Moving

Author: Bill Stone from Tigard, Oregon
5 February 2000

The cinematography was awesome, a beautiful film. redford was excellent, as was Scott Thomas. The natural beauty of Montana was an integral part of the film, actually another character, as is usual for a Redford production. hard to see this without being involved and moved...

Beautiful Film

Author: jjh6519 from United States
26 January 2000

The Horse Whisperer has taken too much unfair criticism. It is, in my opinion, a superior movie about relationships. Some want to compare it to Redford's A River Runs Through It because it is set in Montana and features breathtaking scenery. But the actual plot is very similar to Redford's first film, Ordinary People, both about a young person who has been traumatized with a perfectionist mother and a warm, giving father. Also, there is the similarity between the impact of the down-to-earth psychologist in Ordinary with that of the down-to-earth "horse whisperer". In addition, Horse Whisperer is beautifully photographed, from start to finish. Redford is at his peak in capturing the small beauty of simple scenes alongside the breathtaking wonder of the high Rockies. My teenage son, who is not given to being maudlin, left the film fairly choked up. He could not get over the eye to eye contact between the girl and the horse, and the unspoken feelings therein. He said he could not imagine anyone seeing the film without tearing up a little. Kudos to Redford! He is establishing himself as one of our finest filmmakers.

I like this one!

Author: ikerman- from San Antonio, Texas
5 January 2000

When I learned this movie was 2 hours and 49 minutes long,...I was surprised as it seemed like only 90 minutes. I don't know if Whisperer should be considered a chic flic or not, (I'm a guy) but I enjoyed it so much that I am recommending it to everyone I see.

The scene at the beginning was difficult to watch but, after that the movie got to work on the real story(s). I thought Redford was fantastic, and Kristen Thomas kept you on the edge of your seat with tension as you attempted to deal with what must have been going through her characters mind as she tried to deal with the situation. I couldn't help but put myself in the character's places and trying to figure out how I would have reacted in a similar situation(s). The love story reminded me of Bridges of Madison County, one of my favorites...and the chemistry between Redford and Thomas was wonderful as it developed. Oh, and the photography was just an added plus.

I would recommend this movie to anyone that can allow a movie to get to their sensitivity levels. If you don't like anything except shoot-em-up or kick-boxing movies, don't go here. I, for one, can't wait to watch it again.

Simple comments

Author: maro_c_aigio from Greece-Athens
15 December 1999

I saw this film one year ago and I loved it.I can understand that it's not something great but I believe that someone can love it.Robert Redford is very good and Kristin Scott Thomas is great(as usual)next to him.The girl is very good,too and I believe she has a brilliant future.In my country a lot of people saw this film.(The truth is that the Greeks like Redford very much!)I have read the book and I believe that the film is better.Of course we would like Thomas to stay in Montana with Redford and leave her family but this isn't something real.We would like her to sleep with him but this isn't real too.The last thing I would like to say is that Kristin Scott Thomas is great and she worths a lot of success...

Let the horse whisperer heal you as well.

Author: at_dusk (dpeca@esoc.esa.de) from Darmstadt, Germany
3 November 1999

There are two levels in this wonderful movie. One is its surface, with his gorgeous landscapes, its beautiful music, the horses, the great cast, and much more. The other level is what is unseen and untold, what you can read in the silences, what you can understand if you put yourself at the same level of the communication that Tom (the horse whisperer) tries to create with Pilgrim (the horse). Silent, subtle, speechless, slow, innocent, friendly. Basically the exact opposite of what you normally find in a big city (where theaters are), and the opposite of what you can get if you see the movie looking at your watch, hoping for something spectacular happening in order not to think to your problems back at the office.

I think this is not a movie anybody can enjoy in any mood. You must be ready to go to Montana, and let the horse whisperer heal you a little bit.

Simply brilliant

Author: LeaSuz from Montreal, Quebec, Canada
31 October 1999

I have just finished watching Horse Whisper for the second time and I can't wait to watch it again. All of the performances were brilliant and believable. I fell in love with Robert all over again. A beautifully simple story of love and consequence. As much as you wish that Annie and Tom continue their adventure together, it is painfully obvious that Annie has no other choice than to return to her life as wife and mother. Sometimes, doing what is right outweighs that which feeds our passionate souls. And sometimes, I wish it was otherwise.

Beautifully shot, plot needs strengthening, good popcorn and cuddles movie

Author: Karen Nakamura from New Haven, CT (USA)
11 October 1999

This is a movie for the lazy rainy afternoons when you just want to snuggle up with your lover and drink hot chocolate with marshmallows. It has the right blend of beautifully shot scenes of Montana, gorgeous horses, hunky cowboys (Redford definitely still has it), romance, and a minimally complex plot.

Think "Black Stallion" meets "Bridges of Madison County."

Touching, warm-hearted, and emotionally fulfilling...

Author: Casanova-7 (believe_52@yahoo.com) from Hazleton, Pennsylvania
11 October 1999

There are strong performances all around in this touching, warm-hearted, and emotionally fulfilling picture. Robert Redford magnificently portrays his horse-wrangling character with the ability to see into horses' souls. Kristin Scott Thomas also gives a stunning performance. But I feel the best performance in the movie was that of Scarlett Johansson. She's a bright young star who I think we'll be seeing much more of in the future. Overall, "The Horse Whisperer" filled up its 2 hours and 49 minutes superbly. --- 8 out of 10