IMDb > The Horse Whisperer (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Horse Whisperer

The Horse Whisperer More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 27: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Real good film

Author: Corinna Bee from United Kingdom
26 February 2014

one of the best films for me, I watch it each time with the same enthusiasm as the last and each time I see something new. Amazing. For various personal reasons I love this film. The acting from all, the story itself, the fact that Tom Booker doesn't quite engage on the telephone to the Annie, I thought he was rather shallow ie we are in Montana and I am not interested in anywhere else. Annie's sole commitment to healing the horse, whatever it takes, her pain and patience, the latter sometimes diminishing due to emotions. Scarlet excellent from beginning to end, the pain of her friend tragically dying, her horse being ill and near to death. I like Robert's ways, but prefer Tom. I watch this film at least once a month.

Well made but schlocky chick flick with horses

Author: bob-790-196018 from United States
25 December 2013

If you're Robert Redford, you have the clout to make a movie with a solid cast, outstanding cinematography, and great production values. This movie has all those things, plus horses as an added bonus. Unfortunately, the story is the sort of romantic fantasy that is often called "chick flick."

Redford plays the Perfect Man--a cowboy who understands women and horses, listens to classical music, is a source of wisdom and good counsel for all who come his way, and is ruggedly handsome to boot. Even Kristen Scott Thomas, a tough New York magazine editor, is a pushover for him. He fixes her broken daughter and her broken daughter's horse and then proves so irresistible to Kristen Scott Thomas that she is ready to abandon husband and career to live out her days on a Montana ranch.

There is one really nasty scene whose nastiness seems to have escaped the film-makers. It takes place at a barn dance. Kristen Scott Thomas's husband has arrived from New York. Redford and Kristen Scott Thomas have a steamy dance in which they explore each other while her husband sits nearby, fortunately not looking their way. No one seems aware of how cheap and low their behavior is.

Scratch a romantic chick flick--at least this one--and underneath it's all horse manure.

Cinematic Triumph - Redford/Scott Thomas At Their Best

Author: amandajc-1 from Ireland
2 April 2010

Contains Spoilers I watched this movie for the first time some years ago. As a die hard RR fan I was very impressed with the fact that he directed and starred in this film. Usually previous to this when Redford Directed he didn't star in. Ill bet he had some fun directing himself.

KST delivers a touching performance in this film as the mother struggling with a dysfunctional relationship with her daughter. I didn't find this movie to be over sentimental which I liked. A few of the highlights for me were The scene at little bighorn where Annie loses it after Grace rants at her this whole them is continued later in the film when Grace finally acknowledges to both herself but also to her mom how much her injury has effected. This is a very touching scene and illustrates just what a find the young scarlet Johansen was.

For me personally the scene that effected me most watching it was the dance between Tom and Annie. It has to be one of the most erotic pieces of film making ever.

I think RR did an excellent job with this movie both as an actor and as a director. I highly recommend this movie totally loved it.

Disappointing in comparison to book

Author: ajnanou
18 June 2009

I watched this movie about 24 hours after I finished reading the book, so my opinion may be slightly biased. I found that it was a generally good movie - pleasant soundtrack, beautiful scenery, and relatable actors. My main problem though was the script, I found that they took too many liberties with the script and as such the story is very different from that in the novel, which is a shame. In the film rendition, the relationship between Annie and Robert is just plain on the rocks, there is no love there, and they have cut out all scenes of lovemaking between this husband and wife. In my opinion this makes Robert much less likable, and it undermines the huge step that an affair with Tom really was. One even wonders what was the point of Annie's going back, since there was clearly no love there. Furthermore, I do not believe the budding romance between Annie and Tom was well expressed. The one exception is the dance scene - it was one of the most erotic, heart-breaking movie scenes I have ever scene, possibly the best scene in the movie. The end of the movie really strayed far from the novel and I think it's really a pity because that made the novel great. However, for anyone who hasn't read the book this would be an entertaining movie and not a waste of time.

Spectacular.... Spectacular !!

Author: zebra782 from Sudan
17 November 2007

this movie is one of the most touching and moving experiences that you will never forget and if you are a horse owner you will adore it.

it contains some the most beautiful cinematography ever, i don't know where did Robert Redford find the time to come up with this great achievement.

i think this film was ignored in two categories, direction and cinematography, if any body asked Robert Redford about his greatest achievement as a director i bet he'd say The Horse Whisperer, the camera work is fantastic.

This movie witnessed the sparkle of Scarlett Johansson's brilliant career she was amazing, and the acting was good overall.

The Horse Whisperer

Author: satinsam from United States
25 July 2006

I've seen all of Robert Redfords movie and this one is one of the finest ones I have seen. Wonderful actors in the cast and Robert Redford gave a superb performance in this particular film! A well written script and great story line. We are all intrigued and have the utmost respect for horses and therefore love watching any movies that involve these wonderful animals and this movie touched my heart in such a way I will never forget. I bought the movie and watch it once a month, absolutely in love with "The Horse Whisperer." I hope Robert Redford continues to produce, direct and act in more movies, his past history speaks for itself!

an epic that tells more about ourselves than horses

Author: raymond-15 from Australia
17 October 2005

I don't know much about horses, even less about horse whisperers. I can't say if Robert Redford as Tom Booker is giving us the genuine and accurate technique of a rancher who deals mainly with the psychological problems of horses. Io me it's not that impressive staring a horse in the face for hours on end or fettering a foreleg so that it cannot leap. It's a kind of mental telepathy between man and beast I suppose, if you can believe that, and as for the horse without the use of one leg, well it puts the horse in a similar category to young Grace MacLean who has lost hers in a tragic accident in the snow.

The casting is excellent and I particularly like Annie MacLean (Kristin Scott Thomas) who discovers the true meaning of happiness far from home in the sweeping vistas of Montana. The photography is so wonderful you can almost smell the freshness of the air in those wide open spaces.

I like the home-spun philosophy and the little bits of wisdom that leap out of the script as we assess each saying in turn and think "Yes...Life's like that" or "How true...when you put it like that!" The message seems to be that you can still be happy even if your dreams are never likely to be realized.

This is a film about human relationships falling apart at a dreadful pace. And then gradually, with all minds directed towards saving Pilgrim a beautiful horse shockingly injured in an accident, animosity towards others is temporarily forgotten and the healing process begins...both with the horse and all those concerned.

The film is bound to inspire, make you think and perhaps urge you to reassess your own attitudes. Not everyone will agree with the ending to this story about a horse whisperer, but as I mentioned, "Life's like that".

By the way, I watched the sub-titles and learned a new word "nickering". It's the noise a horse makes. Never heard the word before. Just shows how ignorant I am about horses.

not just a chick flick but a great movie as well

Author: dark_elf02 from United States
15 July 2003

To put into words how beautiful this movie is would be almost impossible but i'll try. I watched this movie several years ago and just the other night and both times I was amazed at how touching the story is. Yes I am a guy but one who realizes that a movie doesnt necessarily have to be violent to be good. This movie has what action movies dont have . . . heart. The story of a horse and a girl who's injuries cause them pain because the other's injuries cause them pain. Their souls and love for each other intertwine which is what gives this movie heart. Kudos to Scarlett Johanson who should have been nominated for an oscar. She makes this movie believable by wearing her characters pain on her sleeve. You feel for her and wince everytime she falls or cries. The love story is more of just a subplot. The soul of the movie is the horse and the girl. This movie deserves a definate 10!!!!

An absolutely beautiful film!

Author: rainbow414 from Sandusky Ohio USA
27 May 2003

Done with grace and grit.......my husband and I have two films two nights in a row, that in itself is unusual, but the icing on the cake was this movie,THE HORSE WHISPERER it is deeply moving, the scenery of Montana was beautiful....the story lines were well-acted. and if you are a R. Redford fan, it is one of his best. If you don't like it, I think you missed the point. It has no bad language the violence though, is very unnerving (the accident scene),and no gratuitous sex!..Wow, who would have believed it???? I'm still trying to figure out how they did some of the horse scenes,especially the gentling of Pilgrim.....

What a love story ! Better than Romeo and Juliet..

Author: florriebbc from Reno, Nevada
21 June 2001

This is my current favorite love story. I have always known of Robert Redford, but now I know what the fuss is all about. What an actor! His face can tell a story. This story is so exciting I watch it every week. Of course the ending is still the same and becomes more meaningful each time I watch it. The actress who played Grace is quite believable. It was my first time to see Kristin Scott Thomas. When Robert Redford and Kristin Scott Thomas were dancing, I thought I would melt. I think we all have lived that moment. Thank you for listening. Florence Forrester Stockton