IMDb > Hope Floats (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Hope Floats

Hope Floats More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 17: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Just Basically Entertaining, But That's All We Want

Author: deputysgirl7 from OC, Ca.
30 April 2007

Not expecting to see the best movie ever, I was very surprised. I loved this movie. But I didn't pick it apart like most. I just watched it. I guess you have to experience having your heart ripped out by your husband, and then starting your life over again with children. And if you have, you will relate to this movie without having all of the details that were apparently left out according to other posters. I didn't need all of the details. I lived them. But my story ended just as wonderfully and I found my "Justin". So, all in all, this movie was QUITE complete. It just won't appeal to anyone who doesn't know the "story" like some of us do. Thank You Mr. Whitaker. I did enjoy Hope Floats very much and watch it every so often to remind me that my life is truly on the right track, once again.

What a surprise!

Author: 17268 from Waynesboro, PA
16 February 2007

As I recall, "Hope Floats" got terrible reviews and had poor box office. I watched the movie on TV to see Gena Rowlands--who, as always, was excellent. But so was everyone else in the cast!

This is one of those movies where nothing much happens and everything happens. Everything about the movie is spot on--the cast, the writing, the direction. I like Sandra Bullock, but I've never seen her as good as she is here--she's totally believable and willing to look like her character should look. Mae Whitman, the little girl who plays Bullock's daughter, is outstanding. As stated, Rowlands is superb. Harry Connick, Jr., is very good. In fact, that isn't a performance that doesn't ring totally true.

In the so-called Golden Age of Television, viewers could see dramas like these several times a week with remarkable actors--Grace Kelly, Geraldine Page, Kim Stanley, Paul Newman, Cliff Robertson--who had yet to become famous but were already showing the talent that would make them iconic. And they had scripts by writers like Paddy Chayevsky, Reginald Rose, and Rod Serling, as well as directors like John Frankenheimer, George Roy Hill, Franklin Shaffner, and Sidney Lumet And now, what do we have--car chases, violence, gore, needless and overdone profanity, and total pandering to audiences totally lacking in discernment and intelligence. No wonder "Hope Floats" didn't.

One of Bullock's Best Performances....

Author: Isaac5855 from United States
30 January 2007

Sandra Bullock commands the screen in HOPE FLOATS, a surprisingly effective comedy-drama about a former prom queen turned single mom, who, upon learning of her husband's infidelity, returns to her hometown with her daughter in tow and moves in with her mother and learns life is not so easy for an aging prom queen. This film boasts a deft screenplay that is beautifully realized by the director and cast. Bullock gives one of her richest performances as a woman who must start over and is clueless as to where to begin and must also face the wrath of those she wronged as prom queen and haven't forgotten the way she treated them. Gena Rowlands does an Oscar-worthy turn as Bullock's mom, a robust and vibrant woman who loves having her daughter home but won't take her nonsense either. As a big Rowlands fans, I have to say there are few films where I have enjoyed her more. Mae Whitman is a revelation as Bullock's daughter and Harry Connick Jr. shines as the hometown hunk with a hankering for the prom queen. An emotionally charged comedy-drama that sucked me in from the beginning and evolved into a loving character study of a woman re-examining her past and fearing her future.

Dead in the water - 45%

Author: Benjamin Cox from Hampshire, England
23 October 2006

Every now and again, a film comes along that really challenges the viewer's ideas and preconceptions. For years, this was one of the most chick-friendly, overly sentimental pieces of mush that I could think of and I was determined to put off watching it for long as possible. But love makes you do silly things and due to a recent change in my circumstances (like getting engaged), I felt maybe it was time for something mushy. However, those of you expecting a regular light-hearted rom-com might be disappointed as this is actually a bit of a downer movie and hankies might be needed by the end.

Sandra Bullock plays southern belle Birdee Pruitt, former Texan beauty queen and married to former college quarterback star and high-school sweetheart Bill (Michael Paré). But when it's revealed on national TV that Bill is having an affair, Birdee returns to her hometown of Smithville with her daughter Bernice (Mae Whitman) to stay with her mother Ramona (Gena Rowlands). As Birdee becomes ever more despondent, her life is held together by her eccentric mother and the affection of her old school buddy Justin Matisse (Harry Connick Jr).

While considerably better than the last Bullock movie I saw (the woeful "Fire On The Amazon"), I wasn't expecting much and I wasn't disappointed. Bullock is totally upstaged by the impressive Whitman as her troubled daughter struggles to cope with this most public of break-ups. Perhaps Bullock should have paid more attention to the youngster and learnt how to have played her role a bit better. The plot, such as it is, isn't too bad but is certainly less rosy than I had expected. As Birdee's problems multiply and her despair grows ever more, you struggle to see where the happy ending will come from - until the gangly cowboy Lothario of Connick Jr appears. The romance is strictly predictable, even if it is a little hard to swallow given Birdee's initial reluctance. But the whole thing is not exactly my cup of tea, although even I will watch a film like this that is any good, like "Notting Hill". But "Hope Floats" is neither a romantic comedy or a traditional weepie like "Dying Young" and spends most of its time treading water and going nowhere.

For a film that goes nowhere for ages, I can still see why some (female) viewers will enjoy this like my fiancé. But for me, I prefer a romantic film that makes me feel warm and fuzzy on the inside. Sadly, "Hope Floats" makes me feel sleepy instead. With the exception of "Speed", I have still to see a decent movie with Sandra Bullock in. While there is nothing technically wrong with "Hope Floats", there is just nothing that I can see that makes it special or worthwhile of your attention. It also fails to make any decent points about the impact of sensationalist TV on those who appear to air their dirty laundry in public. Any questions that are asked come mainly from the performance of Ms Whitman. What really sticks in the craw is I'm someone who has been betrayed and fought hard to recover my confidence and self-esteem and yet, I still couldn't feel anything for this movie. Hope may float but so does something else rather unpleasant...

Lovely Guilty Pleasure Chick Flick

Author: noralee from Queens, NY
8 November 2005

I went to see "Hope Floats" because I'd heard cuts from the Don Was-produced soundtrack with all Texas performers, but, unfortunately the use of the music was disappointing - the sudden Temptations song was intrusive and should have been a country song. The lyrics of the songs didn't exactly fit the action on the screen, but I did like the two covers of Dylan (Garth's is played twice) and managed with all self-control to not sing along.

So I was surprised that I cried and cried and laughed and laughed. Even though high school beaus with lasting crushes are ridiculous to the point of Princes on White Horses fantasy. This is for women who liked "How to Make An American Quilt" or that Keanu Reeves flick "A Walk in the Clouds" and yeah I liked both as guilty pleasures.

Sandra Bullock is America's sweetheart here and interesting that she was a producer - but why would a guy go to see this, even dragged along on a date. (All right, only if there's a reward afterwards.)

Forest Whittaker's directing was straight out of the old '40's women's pictures, with wavy lines on the screen for time passing.

(originally written 6/14/1998)

go to any other Sandra Bullock movie

Author: csauer from United States
3 November 2005

This movie is a complete dud. It loses it's credibility the moment they appear on the Jerry Spinger type show. We see Birdee, Bill,Bernice and the home wrecker. They are well dressed family people and appear to be respectful of each other. Not the Jerry Springer type 400 pound bums and whores who would say anything for 20 bucks. Birdee, Bill And the home wrecker would not do this kind of thing to each other. (The jerry Springer type show) Not saying it would not happen to them. If it did happen to them I'm sure it would be done in private. Not in front of the whole world. Should have walked out right there. But there is Sandy so I hung in there. She seemed to not want to be there either. This movie is simply bad. The only good thing about this movie is I saw it two weeks ago and I now hardly remember it. I can't believe I gave it three stars. Must have been the booze.

What a lovely movie!

Author: okejcool
3 October 2002

I really liked this movie. I have seen it a lot of times, because I really love it! Sandra is really heart-touching in this movie. Now I'm really proud of my mother and... I have to say I cried with this movie.

A really good movie

Author: tink-8
3 March 2002

This was a really good movie.I loved it.It makes you laugh and then it makes you cry.It is beautiful and heart-warming.I would highly recommend it.Sandra Bullock is superb.She really makes the role believable,and the chemistry between her and Harry Connick, Jr. is amazing.

Charming and Touching

Author: WolverineGirl from Ann Arbor, MI
29 November 2001

As a Sandra Bullock fan, I especially like this movie. Harry Connick, Jr. is well-suited as the humble and honest Justin, and Sandra is great as usual. The elements of family turbulence, Birdee's hesitation to begin again with Justin, and the relationship between mother and daughter (both sets) are realistic, and they help the movie to avoid clichés and sappiness. A definite must-see.

AN AMAZING MOVIE!!

Author: kara (ltkara1457) from texAS
24 November 2001

i loved this movie.. its sweet, romantic, sad, and shows that true love really does exist.. my boyfriend sits down with me to watch it and i cry everytime, i love sandra bullock and they did an awesome job with this movie, so if you havent seen it, go rent it.. you'll love it!!! trust me!! and there didnt need to be any action because its a drama and romance.. and it was perfect..