IMDb > Honey, We Shrunk Ourselves (1997) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Honey, We Shrunk Ourselves (V) More at IMDbPro »

Great Movie

Author: Swayze52
4 October 2000

I think Koolwiz is wrong. This was a great movie! The fact that Nick and Amy weren't there leaves a lot to the reality of family life. The older kids go off to college. Rick Moranis is not the only character left. Adam is there. Remember, Honey I Blew up the Kid? This one was great just like the other two "Honey" movies. If they hadn't got Rick Moranis to play Wayne again, then I would have agreed with KoolWiz. They got the actors as close to the originals as they could. However, they could have cast an actress with straight hair for Diane. But on the other hand, who says Diane couldn't have gotten a perm. I liked Marcia, but the storyline was not based around her, it was based around the characters.

Honey, We Shrunk Ourselves

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
20 June 2005

If you liked the first two films, then I'm sorry to say you're not going to like this one. This is the really rubbish and unnecessary straight to video, probably TV made sequel. The still idiotic but nice scientist Wayne Szalinski (Rick Moranis) is still living with his family and he has his own company, Szalinski Inc. Unfortunately his wife wants to get rid of a statue, Wayne is so stupid he shrinks his statue and himself with his brother. Then he shrinks his wife and sister-in-law too. Now the adults have to find a way to get the kids of the house to get them bigger. Pretty much a repeat of the other two with only one or two new things, e.g. a toy car roller coaster, swimming in dip, etc. Pretty poor!

It's best to skip this entry...

Author: MorbidMorgan from England
10 June 2012

In 1989 Disney scored a surprise box office smash with 'Honey, I Shrunk The Kids', a fun adventure for all the family that placed a handful of miniaturised kids in a perilous and amusing thrill ride that showcased some truly amazing special effects. It's success led to a sequel in 1992, 'Honey, I Blew Up The Kid', a joyous effects-heavy romp about a rampaging over-sized toddler that although not quite on par with it's predecessor was nonetheless frenetic and entertaining. Then in 1997 came 'Honey, We Shrunk Ourselves', a direct-to-video sequel. By this point only Rick Moranis as wacky inventor Wayne Szalinski remained onboard. Marcia Strassman as his wife Diane is replaced by Eve Gordon and Bug Hall takes over the role of their young son Adam (their other kids Amy and Nick are mentioned but not seen). 'Honey, We Shrunk Ourselves' pales considerably in comparison to the other two entries. It seems overall to be very pedestrian with woefully inferior effects and a dumbed down script. The budget is shrunken dramatically and it seems to solely target the very youngest audience with it's heavy handed life lessons. Even Rick Moranis appears bored by the proceedings, turning in an adequate but tired performance. It's a shame that a series that had started out on a high had to end with a bargain basement clunker. It's probably best to skip this entry and re-watch the other two 'Honey' films instead.

More "Honey" for everyone!!!!!

Author: Seth Nelson from (Near) D/FW Airport, Texas, USA
6 September 2006

Disney's next video only film, "Honey, We Shrunk Ourselves," is from 1997 and it is a live action film, too!!!!!

Here, the parents of both the families from the "Honey" movies were accidentally shrunken down to small size!!!!! However, for the kids, that meant PARTY TIME !!!!! LOL So, the kids have done crazy things from making a chili volcano with hot dog people to holding a very teenage party (don't worry; it's still a family flick)! And while those things happened, the parents went for a wild ride on a Hot Wheels loop ramp (I had that!!!!!), hiding in a Roach Motel, swimming in dip to avoid what would happen to the kids 8 years earlier, and the best part????? When one of the dads played God using a stereo system (a speaker, two pieces of aluminum foil, a blocked circuit "highway," etc.) MAJOR FUN !!!!!

I loved every bit of the "Honey" series, and I wish this would continue soon!!!!!

Honey We gave another classic

Author: Punk19 from Chester, Virginia
15 July 2005

Rick Moranis(Wayne Szalinski) is once again thrown into a turmoil of trying to solve another shrinking problem. Only it's not on his kids, his neighbor kids or his toddler. This time he done it to himself, his wife Diane(Eve Gordon),his brother Gordon(Stuart Pankin) and his wife Pattie(Robin Bartlett).

So what does a whole family of Szalinski's to do when they get in contact with big shoes, huge bugs and sick party goer children? They do their best to make us laugh more and more and more. Do they get themselves back to normal to stop their kids from sending themselves to jail? Watch to see.

Rick Moranis is the only one that remains the same all the way through this funny series.

Now, this is a better sequel than the second.

Author: maxnsam05 from United States
30 October 2007

Once again, Rick Moranis stars as Wayne Szalinski, but, this time it's not kids that get shrunk. When Moranis hangs around the house with his long-time brother, Gordon, they decide to take the "Tikey-man" that Wayne bought just to have a little fun upstairs to shrink, so that Diane won't notice it anymore, but, after they shrink the ti-key down, something goes terribly wrong, and Wayne and Gordon have now shrunk down into a quarter of an inch tall of their size. Then, Diane with her long-time friend, Patty come over to see what the boys are doing upstairs and get shrunk down, too. Now, they can only hope that their kids will come and find them and restore them back to their regular size, but, in order to make them do that, they must make their voices full-size, so that the kids cannot see them, but, hear them.

The only way Rick Moranis finds work

Author: rchrdshelt (rchrdshelt@aol.com) from Birmingham, England
14 November 2004

This film is preety bad. The only member of the original cast left is Moranis and he is very poor in this movie. To be fair him and the rest of the cast try their best but fail miserably thanks to a diabolical script. The effects are OK, but there is a stupid subplot about a boy trying to go out with a girl at a party and it just doesn't work. Anyway, there were one or two moments I found funny but other than that it was crap. The parts which are most annoying are the scenes with the teenagers which were compeletely unbearable. It seems that Rick Moranis can only get work through this movie and he may now need to move into TV if he wants to get anywhere.

Honey they shrunk the running time (and plot & effects...)

Author: TelevisionJunkie from Texas
24 April 2004

The premise of shrinking Moranis himself seemed natural after the first two films, however their execution was way off. I never had any intention of watching this but I had on the TV Guide channel and saw the name Eve Gordon and it was driving me nuts trying to figure out why I knew her name... So I watched it. At first I didn't realize why I knew the name and then it hit me -- both Eve Gordon (who doesn't even look like the same person in this film) and Robin Bartlett starred together in the shortlived sitcom "The Powers That Be." They had good chemistry as enemies on that series (an all-time favorite show), but their chemistry together in this film really sucks. And then came all the other TV actors (Mila Kunis, Stuart Pankin, Allison Mack)... Talented Moranis and his cohorts are completely wasted in this film. What were these people thinking?

The effects are atrocious -- there's perhaps only two shots of the shrunken parents that look like they might actually be in the house rather than standing in front of a bluescreen. The plot's a rehash (drolly executed). The script is laughable, and not in a good way. Most of the "jokes" are painfully unfunny and/or in poor taste, even for a child demographic audience. It seemed like each commercial break lasted 10 minutes and I found out why when I came here and discovered the film is only 74 minutes.

Can't really say much that hasn't already been said, so I'll leave it at this with apologies to the cast: avoid this turkey!

Not the worse sequel I've ever seen

Author: Dawn from United States
25 July 2002

I bought this film because a) Allison Mack is in it and b) I own the other two "Honey" films, so I decided to complete the collection.

This movie is a pretty good family film that actually does logically take off from the series. We saw Amy leave in the second film, in this, the third film, we just assume Nick is gone. He was already a teenager when Adam was 2 (in the second film) and Young Adam (played by Bug Hall in this film) is at least seven or eight years older than he was back then which makes both Nick and Amy old enough to have moved out. If the film had taken place in the space of months or years instead of a few days, I might have expected more Nick and/or Amy ref. , but as the film stood it wasn't neccessary to do more than acknowledge they exsist (which they did). As for the new family, again because of the time-frame of these films, it's easy to assume we just never met these people before. Cousin Jenny (Allison Mack)is annoying at points, but that a fault of her characters age group. She's filling the role of teenage girl in the film, a role first fullfilled by Amy in "honey I shrunk the kids" and filled by Nick's love intrest Mandy (Keri Russell) in "Honey I blew up the kid". There is a problem with "Honey we shrunk ourselves" recycling plots from the previous films (riding in toy cars, taming large bugs) and they also pulled the overused "teen invites a few friends over and it turns into an out of control party" trick, but overall it's fun to watch. Instead of the parents panicking because something has happened to the kids, the kids rejoice in having the house to themselves not knowing there parents have been watching the whole time. And while the parents don't hessitate to want there kids "back to normal" that isn't as true when the situation is reversed. It's not a Great film, but as far as sequels go, this pretty much remains believable and loyal to the previous story (unlike movies like 'The Lion King II' and 'the Neverending Story III') and it is still as fun to watch as the other two films. I have two types of 'family' movies in the house, the ones I have to put in and I leave the kids alone to watch (because they are annoying) and the ones I can watch with them. This one I can easily sit and enjoy with them.

Honey we're sick of sequels

Author: andykleinendorst from akleinendorst@hotmail.com
9 October 2001

After the Disney channel repeatedly played this movie, I finally watched it. (Of course I wouldn't waste my money on it) It was full of stupid inventions, that could've been thought up by a 5 year-old. Half of the inventions, are so unrealistic it's scary. The one that plays Jenny is very immature for her age, in the movie. Every time she says Ricki's name, she always yells out "Ricky King!" I mean how many Ricky's are there? Then she is telling someone that they are making a mess, in a high pitched, defensive voice. Then the other girls, try to act mature, they pretend that the Ginger-ale is champane. It's really stupid, how everything is not to scale at all. Like sometimes, their bodies will be the size of a button, then they'll fill up a race car. Another thing is that when he uses the Gum wrapper, that sounds like tinfoil, which is shouldn't. Overall this movie does not deserve to have a price tag on it.