IMDb > Honey, We Shrunk Ourselves (1997) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Honey, We Shrunk Ourselves

Honey, We Shrunk Ourselves (V) More at IMDbPro »

Cute movie for your kids

Author: Sarah from New Hampshire
26 August 2001

This movie is cute for one of those nights with the kids. It is a clean movie that the whole family can enjoy. Of course it is not the kind of movie you would see win any awards or get any real recognition but it is enjoyable and a nice movie for families to watch.

Well, yeah, it was silly, but it was meant to be that way

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
8 November 2006

The Honey, I Shrunk the Kids franchise was a huge deal and not to mention very famous. I loved Honey, I shrunk the Kids when I was little. It was an original story and had such an exciting plot! The sets were so amazing and the cast seemed like they enjoyed each other's company. Now Honey, I blew up the kid was pretty stupid, so I think they wanted to go back to the story that everyone loved.

Basically, Adam is a little more grown up now and the mom's are going on vacation to leave their husbands with their children. But when Wayne's favorite item is threatened for the garbage, he wants to shrink it and keep it, but he and his brother get in the way. But when the wives come back after forgetting to give some meds to their son, they get caught in the machine as well, leaving the kids in the house alone!

The plot is silly, but like I said, it was just a family film that I think some might get a kick out of. The original Honey, I Shrunk the Kids is the best, I think everyone could agree. The third one wasn't so bad, I would recommend this one at least over Honey, I Blew Up the Kid movie, it was at least a little more fun.

This is not the worst sequel I have seen, but it was sadly pretty awful.

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
27 September 2010

I liked Honey I Shrunk the Kids, Honey I Blew Up the Kid and the Disneyland 3D attraction Honey I Shrunk the Audience, but I didn't like this film. And part of the reason why is because I found it unnecessary pretty much. I wanted to like it, but I found too many problems in order to enjoy it. That said it is not the worst sequel ever like Home Alone 4 or Superbabies:Baby Geniuses 2, and Rick Moranis does at least try hard to still maintain the likable character he created in the other movies. But really, it is strictly direct-to-DVD, and regrettably it isn't good really...at all. The problems primarily lie in the predictable story, the leaden direction, the repetitive gags and the awful script, while the rushed camera work, lacking acting(with exception of Moranis) and forgettable soundtrack don't help matters either. In conclusion, for me this was disappointing and not recommended. 2/10 Bethany Cox

Not bad. Better than the second one.

Author: Tommy Nelson from Long Beach, California
8 March 2007

Stars: Rick Moranis, Eve Gordon, Stuart Pankin, Bug Hall, Allison Mack.

Well we've already shrunk the kids and sent them outside, and blew up the baby, I guess we might as well kill two birds with one stone and shrink the adults and show their adventures inside the house. This is a very competent and entertaining made for video Disney sequel that could have gone in the theaters. Some major problems with the film were it's obvious budget cost's, but it still looks good with an obviously small cost. In this outing, after Wayne, Diane and Wayne's brother and sister-in-law get shrunk they ride in a toy car, ride a daddy long legs like a horse, hide from a cockroach in a roach hotel, ride in a bubble, almost get eaten in sour cream and much more. Meanwhile the kid's think they're gone so they throw a party and the parent's learn how responsible the kids can be. It's a pretty good sequel that is a little too silly at times, but still thoroughly entertaining.

My rating: ** 1/2 out of ****.

The Long Awaited Shrinking of Wayne Szalinski

Author: (robocoptng986127@aol.com) from U.S.A
23 November 2001

[MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS]

America's favorite family is back! Diane Szalinski and Patty, her sister-in-law are going on a vacation and while they're gone, their husbands Wayne and Gordon will mind the kids. Adam Szalinski is now a young boy, and his cousins Jenny and Mitch will stay over also. Wayne has a giant tiki statue that he deems very fond of, but Diane is making him get rid of it, so when Wayne shooes the kids out to get some toothpicks for a science project, he and Gordon carry the huge Tiki Man up to the attic, where Wayne unveils his new and improved shrink machine. He's not allowed to use it, but he figures just one more time couldn't hurt. He succeeds in shrinking the Tiki Man but when Wayne and Gordon go to look for it, a croquet ball lands on the button, shrinking them. Diane and Patty return to the house to drop something off. They go up into the attic, a second croquet ball hits the machine and they're shrunk. The kids are their only hope of getting big again, so they use a fishing reel to get down to Adam's room. There, they take a wild Hot Wheels car ride on a curving track and fly right through the laundry chute and into the basket. Meanwhile, the kids return home and assume the adults have gone, so Jenny wants to throw a party. Mitch and Adam have little to say about that, so it happens. The adults dodge a giant cockroach. It's giant to them. Then they hitch a ride curtosey of a bubble machine that's being used for the party. Wayne has the idea that maybe if he can rewire the speaker, they can get the kids' attention. The women venture into the kitchen to make sure Mitch get's his pills, while Wayne and Gordon head for the speakers, but before so, they were caught by a bowl of onion dip.

In the kitchen, Diane and Patty meet a huge spider. They soon become friends and he gives them a ride to the kitchen counter. Meanwhile, a boy from the party, Ricky King, kissed Jenny before asking her and she did not like it. The boys began wreaking havoc on the party, until the speaker was rewired and Gordon pretended to be God and barked at the kids. Jenny, Mitch and Adam find their fathers, then their mothers and enlarge them. They've all thoughtout things, like Wayne decided to let Adam do what he wants and go to baseball camp like Adam wanted, and when Adam returned from camp, he found a BIG surprise waiting for him.

This film, well, wasn't as good as the first two. Rick Moranis was good, so was Stuart Pankin (voice of Earl Sinclair from "Dinosaurs"). The kids were somewhat annoying. Bug Hall was good. But Jenny was so annoying! She was bossy and dominant! Who'd want to be around her? Also, watch for Mila Kunis from "That '70s

Show" as Jill! --

An Unusual End to a Series

Author: gavin6942 from United States
31 December 2015

Wayne Szalinzki a wacky, absent-minded inventor, is back again but only this time he decides to use his infamous shrink machine just one more time.

This film has a few notes of historically interest: it was (as of 2015) the final film of Rick Moranis. It was the first film of Mila Kunis (who is almost unrecognizable as a child). And it was legendary cinematographer Dean Cundey's first directing duty. None of these things, unfortunately, make it a good movie.

I can't blame Kunis for this, as she probably auditioned based on her parents' urging. And Dean Cundey shouldn't be at fault. While not a great film, I don't think this was his doing.. it was more a matter of budget and a poor script. The story seems more appropriate as a television program, especially considering how much was ripped of directly from the original film.

Now, Moranis... I don't want to put this on him, because I like the guy. But clearly he must have read the script and saw it was crap. And if no one else was willing to come back, why did he? Was he obligated by contract? Maybe. I feel like if Moranis had dropped out, the project would have been shelved...

Good work, Disney!

Author: mutty-mcflea from Lincolnshire, UK
21 July 2013

In the grand tradition of Disney sequels, quality control has been sacrificed in the name of making a fast buck. This direct-to-video threequel is a lazy retread with Rick Moranis accidentally shrinking himself and some relatives so they can repeat all the best scenes from the original movie.

Instantly dated visual effects and crummy dialogue abound in this cheesy lump, which did nothing but make me pine for the days of 'The Incredible Shrinking Man', when this kind of thing was done properly. Shockingly, this was directed by veteran cinematographer Dean Cundey, who should either stick to the day job or pick better material next time.

A nice shrunken movie.

Author: OllieSuave-007 from California, USA
26 July 2014

This is the second movie sequel to Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, a story about absent-minded scientist Wayne Szalinski (Rick Moranis) accidentally shrinking himself, his wife, his brother and sister-in-law to microscopic sizes with his shrinking machine. What results is another wild adventure as the adults must navigate through the now humongous everyday items like household objects and insects to get the children's attention to restore them back to size.

It is another amusing plot device to see the usual everyday stuff become huge obstacles and used for new purposes for the adults. All these epic proportion objects and creatures are highlighted in some great and believable special effects; I especially liked the huge but friendly daddy-long-leg and its encounter with the adults.

Moranis is likable as Wayne Szalinski and Marcia Strassman is zany as his wife, Diane. Stuart Pankin as Gordon Szalunski was a little too much of a loud-mouth and overacted. The younger characters didn't take center stage; therefore, we didn't get any sappy teenage romance on the side or any childish antics.

At 74 min, this is a pretty short movie, so, the plot really concentrated on the action and fun overall and didn't have room for boring filler scenes. Overall, it is a mostly entertaining film from start to finish - it's a typical, silly, whimsical Disney movie for everybody.

Grade B

Honey, I'm blowing up this movie

Author: The_Light_Triton (Black_triton14@hotmail.com) from In a Chair in my room
23 July 2014

While the 1989 & 1992 Honey movies were enough to be satisfactory, The 3rd and final one in the series just sucks the life out of the series and makes me want to lose my cookies.

In this one, Wayne Szalinski is preparing the machine for display at the Smithsonian institute. Unfortunately, He also has a little momento his wife wants him to rid - the Tiki man. After thinking to shrink the Tiki man with the machine after promising not to use it again, Wayne accidentally shrinks himself and his relative. and when their wives return home because of a bunch of potassium pills, they shrink too, and so begins a miniaturized adventure through the szalinski home.

Sadly, only one original cast member returned - Rick Moranis. And he looked like he didn't care at all. Almost every scene he did felt more phoned-in than anything. All the other actors are re-casts.

On another note, this was one of famous actress Mila Kunis's first roles, as a party girl. That's really all this movie really has going for it.

It's best to skip this entry...

Author: MorbidMorgan from England
10 June 2012

In 1989 Disney scored a surprise box office smash with 'Honey, I Shrunk The Kids', a fun adventure for all the family that placed a handful of miniaturised kids in a perilous and amusing thrill ride that showcased some truly amazing special effects. It's success led to a sequel in 1992, 'Honey, I Blew Up The Kid', a joyous effects-heavy romp about a rampaging over-sized toddler that although not quite on par with it's predecessor was nonetheless frenetic and entertaining. Then in 1997 came 'Honey, We Shrunk Ourselves', a direct-to-video sequel. By this point only Rick Moranis as wacky inventor Wayne Szalinski remained onboard. Marcia Strassman as his wife Diane is replaced by Eve Gordon and Bug Hall takes over the role of their young son Adam (their other kids Amy and Nick are mentioned but not seen). 'Honey, We Shrunk Ourselves' pales considerably in comparison to the other two entries. It seems overall to be very pedestrian with woefully inferior effects and a dumbed down script. The budget is shrunken dramatically and it seems to solely target the very youngest audience with it's heavy handed life lessons. Even Rick Moranis appears bored by the proceedings, turning in an adequate but tired performance. It's a shame that a series that had started out on a high had to end with a bargain basement clunker. It's probably best to skip this entry and re-watch the other two 'Honey' films instead.