IMDb > Honey, We Shrunk Ourselves (1997) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Honey, We Shrunk Ourselves

Honey, We Shrunk Ourselves (V) More at IMDbPro »

Cute movie for your kids

Author: Sarah from New Hampshire
26 August 2001

This movie is cute for one of those nights with the kids. It is a clean movie that the whole family can enjoy. Of course it is not the kind of movie you would see win any awards or get any real recognition but it is enjoyable and a nice movie for families to watch.

Well, yeah, it was silly, but it was meant to be that way

Author: Kristine ( from Chicago, Illinois
8 November 2006

The Honey, I Shrunk the Kids franchise was a huge deal and not to mention very famous. I loved Honey, I shrunk the Kids when I was little. It was an original story and had such an exciting plot! The sets were so amazing and the cast seemed like they enjoyed each other's company. Now Honey, I blew up the kid was pretty stupid, so I think they wanted to go back to the story that everyone loved.

Basically, Adam is a little more grown up now and the mom's are going on vacation to leave their husbands with their children. But when Wayne's favorite item is threatened for the garbage, he wants to shrink it and keep it, but he and his brother get in the way. But when the wives come back after forgetting to give some meds to their son, they get caught in the machine as well, leaving the kids in the house alone!

The plot is silly, but like I said, it was just a family film that I think some might get a kick out of. The original Honey, I Shrunk the Kids is the best, I think everyone could agree. The third one wasn't so bad, I would recommend this one at least over Honey, I Blew Up the Kid movie, it was at least a little more fun.

Not bad. Better than the second one.

Author: Tommy Nelson from Long Beach, California
8 March 2007

Stars: Rick Moranis, Eve Gordon, Stuart Pankin, Bug Hall, Allison Mack.

Well we've already shrunk the kids and sent them outside, and blew up the baby, I guess we might as well kill two birds with one stone and shrink the adults and show their adventures inside the house. This is a very competent and entertaining made for video Disney sequel that could have gone in the theaters. Some major problems with the film were it's obvious budget cost's, but it still looks good with an obviously small cost. In this outing, after Wayne, Diane and Wayne's brother and sister-in-law get shrunk they ride in a toy car, ride a daddy long legs like a horse, hide from a cockroach in a roach hotel, ride in a bubble, almost get eaten in sour cream and much more. Meanwhile the kid's think they're gone so they throw a party and the parent's learn how responsible the kids can be. It's a pretty good sequel that is a little too silly at times, but still thoroughly entertaining.

My rating: ** 1/2 out of ****.

A nice shrunken movie.

Author: OllieSuave-007 from California, USA
26 July 2014

This is the second movie sequel to Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, a story about absent-minded scientist Wayne Szalinski (Rick Moranis) accidentally shrinking himself, his wife, his brother and sister-in-law to microscopic sizes with his shrinking machine. What results is another wild adventure as the adults must navigate through the now humongous everyday items like household objects and insects to get the children's attention to restore them back to size.

It is another amusing plot device to see the usual everyday stuff become huge obstacles and used for new purposes for the adults. All these epic proportion objects and creatures are highlighted in some great and believable special effects; I especially liked the huge but friendly daddy-long-leg and its encounter with the adults.

Moranis is likable as Wayne Szalinski and Marcia Strassman is zany as his wife, Diane. Stuart Pankin as Gordon Szalunski was a little too much of a loud-mouth and overacted. The younger characters didn't take center stage; therefore, we didn't get any sappy teenage romance on the side or any childish antics.

At 74 min, this is a pretty short movie, so, the plot really concentrated on the action and fun overall and didn't have room for boring filler scenes. Overall, it is a mostly entertaining film from start to finish - it's a typical, silly, whimsical Disney movie for everybody.

Grade B

It's best to skip this entry...

Author: MorbidMorgan from England
10 June 2012

In 1989 Disney scored a surprise box office smash with 'Honey, I Shrunk The Kids', a fun adventure for all the family that placed a handful of miniaturised kids in a perilous and amusing thrill ride that showcased some truly amazing special effects. It's success led to a sequel in 1992, 'Honey, I Blew Up The Kid', a joyous effects-heavy romp about a rampaging over-sized toddler that although not quite on par with it's predecessor was nonetheless frenetic and entertaining. Then in 1997 came 'Honey, We Shrunk Ourselves', a direct-to-video sequel. By this point only Rick Moranis as wacky inventor Wayne Szalinski remained onboard. Marcia Strassman as his wife Diane is replaced by Eve Gordon and Bug Hall takes over the role of their young son Adam (their other kids Amy and Nick are mentioned but not seen). 'Honey, We Shrunk Ourselves' pales considerably in comparison to the other two entries. It seems overall to be very pedestrian with woefully inferior effects and a dumbed down script. The budget is shrunken dramatically and it seems to solely target the very youngest audience with it's heavy handed life lessons. Even Rick Moranis appears bored by the proceedings, turning in an adequate but tired performance. It's a shame that a series that had started out on a high had to end with a bargain basement clunker. It's probably best to skip this entry and re-watch the other two 'Honey' films instead.

The Long Awaited Shrinking of Wayne Szalinski

Author: ( from U.S.A
23 November 2001

America's favorite family is back! Diane Szalinski and Patty, her sister-in-law are going on a vacation and while they're gone, their husbands Wayne and Gordon will mind the kids. Adam Szalinski is now a young boy, and his cousins Jenny and Mitch will stay over also. Wayne has a giant tiki statue that he deems very fond of, but Diane is making him get rid of it, so when Wayne shooes the kids out to get some toothpicks for a science project, he and Gordon carry the huge Tiki Man up to the attic, where Wayne unveils his new and improved shrink machine. He's not allowed to use it, but he figures just one more time couldn't hurt. He succeeds in shrinking the Tiki Man but when Wayne and Gordon go to look for it, a croquet ball lands on the button, shrinking them. Diane and Patty return to the house to drop something off. They go up into the attic, a second croquet ball hits the machine and they're shrunk. The kids are their only hope of getting big again, so they use a fishing reel to get down to Adam's room. There, they take a wild Hot Wheels car ride on a curving track and fly right through the laundry chute and into the basket. Meanwhile, the kids return home and assume the adults have gone, so Jenny wants to throw a party. Mitch and Adam have little to say about that, so it happens. The adults dodge a giant cockroach. It's giant to them. Then they hitch a ride curtosey of a bubble machine that's being used for the party. Wayne has the idea that maybe if he can rewire the speaker, they can get the kids' attention. The women venture into the kitchen to make sure Mitch get's his pills, while Wayne and Gordon head for the speakers, but before so, they were caught by a bowl of onion dip.

In the kitchen, Diane and Patty meet a huge spider. They soon become friends and he gives them a ride to the kitchen counter. Meanwhile, a boy from the party, Ricky King, kissed Jenny before asking her and she did not like it. The boys began wreaking havoc on the party, until the speaker was rewired and Gordon pretended to be God and barked at the kids. Jenny, Mitch and Adam find their fathers, then their mothers and enlarge them. They've all thoughtout things, like Wayne decided to let Adam do what he wants and go to baseball camp like Adam wanted, and when Adam returned from camp, he found a BIG surprise waiting for him.

This film, well, wasn't as good as the first two. Rick Moranis was good, so was Stuart Pankin (voice of Earl Sinclair from "Dinosaurs"). The kids were somewhat annoying. Bug Hall was good. But Jenny was so annoying! She was bossy and dominant! Who'd want to be around her? Also, watch for Mila Kunis from "That '70s

Show" as Jill! --

Great Movie

Author: Swayze52
4 October 2000

I think Koolwiz is wrong. This was a great movie! The fact that Nick and Amy weren't there leaves a lot to the reality of family life. The older kids go off to college. Rick Moranis is not the only character left. Adam is there. Remember, Honey I Blew up the Kid? This one was great just like the other two "Honey" movies. If they hadn't got Rick Moranis to play Wayne again, then I would have agreed with KoolWiz. They got the actors as close to the originals as they could. However, they could have cast an actress with straight hair for Diane. But on the other hand, who says Diane couldn't have gotten a perm. I liked Marcia, but the storyline was not based around her, it was based around the characters.

Good work, Disney!

Author: mutty-mcflea from Lincolnshire, UK
21 July 2013

In the grand tradition of Disney sequels, quality control has been sacrificed in the name of making a fast buck. This direct-to-video threequel is a lazy retread with Rick Moranis accidentally shrinking himself and some relatives so they can repeat all the best scenes from the original movie.

Instantly dated visual effects and crummy dialogue abound in this cheesy lump, which did nothing but make me pine for the days of 'The Incredible Shrinking Man', when this kind of thing was done properly. Shockingly, this was directed by veteran cinematographer Dean Cundey, who should either stick to the day job or pick better material next time.

More "Honey" for everyone!!!!!

Author: Seth Nelson from (Near) D/FW Airport, Texas, USA
6 September 2006

Disney's next video only film, "Honey, We Shrunk Ourselves," is from 1997 and it is a live action film, too!!!!!

Here, the parents of both the families from the "Honey" movies were accidentally shrunken down to small size!!!!! However, for the kids, that meant PARTY TIME !!!!! LOL So, the kids have done crazy things from making a chili volcano with hot dog people to holding a very teenage party (don't worry; it's still a family flick)! And while those things happened, the parents went for a wild ride on a Hot Wheels loop ramp (I had that!!!!!), hiding in a Roach Motel, swimming in dip to avoid what would happen to the kids 8 years earlier, and the best part????? When one of the dads played God using a stereo system (a speaker, two pieces of aluminum foil, a blocked circuit "highway," etc.) MAJOR FUN !!!!!

I loved every bit of the "Honey" series, and I wish this would continue soon!!!!!

Oh Honey! We messed up the sequel!

Author: (dhvidrine-movie) from United States
25 January 2001

You know I liked honey I shrunk the kids and honey I blew up the kid. But now the sequel to this cool and funny series of movies was a big flop! I was looking forward to finally see the sequel since the commercials made it look so good and cool. What was supposed to be a great piece of cinema turned out to be a crummy corny disaster. There was so many cliches and used jokes that no one in the theater laughed or giggled. Some people in the third row fell asleep and four and five others kids in the nosebleed section were having a pop corn fight so I watched them a couple of times while the movie was at its boring and slow parts. Anyway I watched the rest of it and it got so corny that people started to leave the theater in ones,twos fives and sevens! A sad ending to a great series!