IMDb > Home Alone 3 (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Home Alone 3

Home Alone 3 More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 15: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Please! Make them stop!

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
1 May 2004

The first "Home Alone" was one of the funniest movies of the 90's. The second was just as funny with the same cast and jokes! Now comes "Home Alone 3". I was curious how they could continue with the same story considering Kevin would've been 17 by 1997. He could take care of himself, right? So, what does the director decide to do? He takes a child just as annoying and makes him sick. The kid is like 6 years old and the mother leaves him alone in the house? What kind of team of burgerlers are these idiots? I don't really want to get too into detail if you want to sadly see this movie. But please, I'd recommend that you'd stay away from it. It's not worth your precious time. Go fold a piece of paper, do chores, balance a pencil on your nose, or take a nap! It's better to do then to watch "Home Alone 3"!

Leave It Home. In the Trash.

Author: Python Hyena from Canada
15 March 2016

Home Alone 3 (1997):Dir: Raja Gosnell / Cast: Alex D. Linz, Hoviland Morris, Seth Smith, David Thornton, Olek Krupa: It was bad enough that Home Alone 2 was a Xeroxed copy of Home Alone but Home Alone 3 is a Xerox of a Xerox. A chip has been planted in a toy to make it past airport security but the wrong person picks it up and it ends up in Chicago. The villains seeking the chip are spotted by young Alex D. Linz but police do not buy his story. The parents exists for the purpose of going to work while Linz booby traps the house in wait for the villains. Linz owns a mouse and a parrot that act upon his every command and this is stupid in itself in its dreadful presentation. The mouse crawls up someone's leg while someone else takes a swing at it with a crowbar. No points in guessing where the impact connects. Director Raja Gosnell provides the same story with absolutely no originality. He just adds a couple more crooks. Linz recites Macaulay Culkin and nobody cares. In lame appearances are Hoviland Morris, Seth Smith, and David Thornton who will likely not gain any recognition from this sh*t stain holiday crap. The crooks are four without the name actors wasting their talent looking stupid on camera. If you have seen Home Alone then you have seen Home Alone 3 and if you have seen Home Alone 3 then you have my deepest sympathy. Score: 1 / 10

Better Than You'd Probably Think.

Author: Edward Goldenberg from United States
22 February 2016

Alex Pruitt, a young boy of nine living in Chicago, fend off thieves who seek a top-secret chip in his toy car to support a North Korean terrorist organization's next deed.

Home Alone 3 is the third installment of The Home Alone series, and it's the most unusual of the series as it is unrelated to the first two movies, meaning that it doesn't contain any of the characters from the first two. The only connection that it shares with the other two is that it takes place in Chicago. I didn't know what to expect of this movie at first, but when I watched it, I didn't think that it was that bad. Is it as good as the first two movies? No. But is it still a funny movie in its own right? Yes. Home Alone 3 basically takes the usual formula that the first two films had, but changes it a little more. Instead of the main character being left behind, he's at home because he's ill, and the villains are a bunch of thieves who are seeking a computer chip. However, the film has the same kind of things that made the first two films enjoyable, and if you don't mind that the characters in this film are different, it's a film that's actually a very enjoyable experience.

Alex D. Linz is the new protagonist, Alex Pruitt. Considering how I feel about most child actors, it was nice to see how good a job that Linz did with this film. While he wasn't as good a hero as Macaulay Culkin from the first two films was, Linz was still a good protagonist in his own right. The same goes with the rest of the cast, while their characters weren't as good as the ones from the first two films, I do give credit to them, as they made some pretty good characters in this film. And of course, the movie is very funny, with most of the laughs coming in the climactic showdown between Alex and the thieves.

Like I just mentioned above, there are some big laughs in this movie. Most of them occurring in the climax. Another thing that this movie has are some neat traps. Alex makes some rather interesting traps as he tries to stop the thieves from getting the computer chip. Some of theme are even a little more extreme than the first two films, such as a bit with a lawnmower falling on one of the bad guy's face. although he comes out fine, just with his hair looking a little different.

All in all, if you enjoyed the first two Home Alone movies, then you might like this third one, as though it's unrelated to the aforementioned films, it's still a good film in its own right. If you don't mind that this film has characters different from the first two films, as well as a plot that's different from the two previous ones, it's a good film. On a side note, this was the last Home Alone movie to be given a theatrical release, as the fourth one was a TV movie.

Not as good as the first two but it's OK..

Author: adonis98-743-186503 from Greece
1 January 2016

Different cast, different director, different everything even tho it's not perfect it's still better than the reviews that it has here. Home Alone 3 doesn't have great direction or casting or even acting but it has 4 or 5 scenes that they totally killed it and it was hilarious it also has some scenes that they are so bad written and the humor is pretty awkward i wouldn't call it a bad sequel or the worst film of all time but for sure is not that bad too it's not perfect but it's OK although it has that made for TV feel. I give it a 6 i was around a 5 but i think that was pretty low even tho Kevin isn't back the new kid was actually pretty OK. Scarlett Johansson also has a small role here and let's face it it's miles better than Home Alone 4.

hated it

Author: eduderocks182
20 December 2015

I loved the first two home alone movies. I loved Kevin. Macauley Culkin was very good in them. I loved the burglars, they were hilarious. I heard nothing good about this one so I never bothered watching it. Then a few days ago while I was in class my teacher put it on. No one in my class was laughing. That kid annoyed the hell out of me and that stupid parrot. I hate that parrot so much. He wasn't funny at all. He was probably the worst thing about this movie and that's saying something. I don't agree with animal cruelty but I just wanted to snap that parrots neck. What actors actually read the script and thought " this is funny and it's as good as the first two i'll do it". And why would John Hughes want anything to do with it. Macauley Culkin must have felt so insulted after seeing this. I wonder if Alex D Linz regrets this movie. Just imagine being Alex D Linz and looking back on this.

Every 90s Kid Loves This.

Author: powermandan from Canada
21 February 2015

Home Alone 3 caught a bad rap because it has not connection at all with the previous movies with Macaulay Culkin. This should not have been called Home Alone 3, but something else. I wouldn't go so far as to calling it the best in the series, but I do stand by this having the best storyline.

The general premise about a little kid being home alone and creating booby-traps to catch the bad guys is the exact point of the first two, but it's what's beneath the surface that is the best. A group of bad guys steal an Air Force computer chip and must deliver it to a North Korean terrorist organization. They hide it in a remote control car where it is unintentionally picked up by a retired lady headed to suburban Chicago. Hr taking the bag was unrealistic; in an airport, who doesn't check to see if they have their own bag? Everybody knows some luggage look alike! She gives the car to her 8-year-old neighbour, Alex (Dinz) who just came down with the chicken pox. The thieves get the whereabouts of the neighbourhood, but break into each house hoping to find the car. Alex is home alone and sees the thieves through his telescope and calls the police. Everybody thinks he's crying wolf, but Alex is determined to catch the thieves once and for all. The thieves want to search in the daytime because they know everybody is either at school or working. What if there's people like Alex sick home from school? Or retirees? Then the place not believing Alex is also a bit unrealistic. He notices odd things happening in the neighbourhood ontop of intruders. The thieves are obviously experts, so wouldn't the cops work to plant hidden cameras or something like that? When it goes to classic Home Alone, the traps and slapstick comedy is just as great (sometimes greater) than the first two. Sure there's some unrealistic traps, but the first two had them also. Maybe it is just because I am a 90s kid, but I don't get why this is hated. Alex is just as good a Kevin, the thieves are cool, the story is better than the others. Home Alone 4 and 5 are the bad ones. I mean reeeeaaally bad.

Plot could have been solved in minutes

Author: LieutenantPepper from United States
3 January 2015

People complain that this movie is a disgrace to the original 2 'Home Alone' films, that it simply re-hashes their plots and antics, and while they do have a point, what most people fail to realize is that regardless of whether or not it is true to the first 2 films, it belongs on a list of "Movie Plots That Could Have Been Solved in Minutes." The whole plot hinges on 4 criminals getting their bag containing a top-secret device getting mixed-up at the airport with a bag belonging to a senior citizen who lives in the suburbs of Chicago across the street from the hero of the film. They trace the bag to the suburbs, and the movie goes from there.

But, the plot of the movie could have been solved in minutes (to the advantage of the villains rather than the hero) had the criminals (or at least the woman criminal who held onto the bag) simply kept the wrong bag and approached the senior citizen who had their bag after landing in Chicago to simply exchange bags. The senior citizen would have wanted her bag rather than the criminals' bag (she later indicates that she is angry about having the wrong bad rather than the correct bag), and the plot would have been solved right there. The criminals would have gotten away and we never would have been introduced to the hero, but the plot would have been as simple as it could be.

PROS: It has that late 1990s suburb feel to it, and the booby traps are slightly more realistic (as far as the criminals surviving them is concerned).

Not terrible, but Macaulay is gone

Author: SnoopyStyle
10 December 2013

Four high-tech industrial spies are trying to smuggle out a top secret military microchip to North Korea. A mixup at airport security leaves Mrs. Hess with the microchip hidden in a remote control car. After Alex shovels Mrs. Hesses' driveway, she gives him the car as payment. The spies have tracked the chip to Alex's neighborhood, and faces off against Alex who is home sick with the chicken pox.

I like the cat and mouse game, but the premise is way too serious. It's not so kid friendly to start. But this is not a horrible sequel. The fact is the kid isn't Macaulay. And the movie doesn't have as much whimsy as the previous two. The bad guys are real bad guys, not the silly Wet Bandits.

For those of us who want to see Scarlett Johansson, she has a minor role as the sister. It's nothing special to write home about. She does have a few scenes.

A decent enough family film

Author: RickHarvey from Stockport
28 December 2010

When the whole cast has been changed, you can't head into this film believing it will be on par with the first two. While this film ain't nowhere near as good as the other two, it still does it best to put on a decent family show.

The plot maybe overblown. Terrorists hiding a chip inside a remote control car, but like many things in this film, you have to take them with a pinch of salt. There always one guy who questions everything. Why are the terrorists so stupid, how come a parrot can converse by using extensive vocabulary. It a family film, where both children and adults can enjoy the stupidness that it has to offer. Sit back and enjoy.

There enough laughs to keep the young ones glued to the TV but unfortunately, some gags can be sinister. The lawnmower gag. Obviously you don't see anything but with the use of your imagination, it can become a cringe moment.

The new Kevin does a good job. Too smart for his age but hey i'll go with the flow. Overall, Homealone 3 is a decent family film. The last 30 mins containing some good laughs and decent acting. Not to mention that John Hughes wrote the film. Albeit, not his best script but with the total make over, at least his name pops up during the opening credits to give you some of that home alone magic. You'll know what i mean once you watched ( or if ) Home alone 4

tolerable at best. pretty cool traps.

Author: jsn_hylnd from United States
23 May 2010

I have to admit when this first came out I was not thrilled about a new kid but hey Macaulay culkin can't stay a kid forever so I gave this one a chance and waited for it to come on VHS and then my mom bought it on VHS at sam's club. The movie is about a kid named Alex pruitt played by Alex d. linz and he lives in a suburban chicago neighborhood. He has 2 older siblings who pick on him and busy parents who work all the time. One night he gets the chicken pox and has to stay home from school for a couple of days and his parents could not find anyone to babysit him so they just let him stay home alone. Meanwhile 4 james bond type villains lose a very powerful computer chip and they think someone who lives in alex's neighborhood has it in there house. Anywhoo Alex spots one of the criminals in one of his neighbors house and he calls the cops and they don't believe him so he has to take matters into his own hands and sets up booby traps for the four criminals. Not as funny or classic as the first 2 but It's tolerable but not really needed in the series but kids will enjoy it. The criminals appear to be smarter and sneakier but Harry and Marv will always be the best burglars in the series. I gotta tell you this movie is a classic compared to the despicable home alone 4.