IMDb > Home Alone 3 (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Home Alone 3 More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
20 June 2005

If you liked the first two films starring Macaulay Culkin, then the bad news is that he is replaced by a new kid named Alex D. Linz playing Alex Pruitt, but the good news is that this is actually a good film. The new idea is that he is left at home on purpose, looking after himself. Four criminals, Mr. Beaupre (Olek Krupa), Mr. Jernigan (Lenny Von Dohlen), Mr. Unger (David Thornton) and Alice Ribbons (Rya Kihlstedt), have stolen a computer chip that goes into a missile. They put it into a toy car and accidentally swap bags. The kid has now got the car and is now defending himself with new goofy and dangerous booby traps set for cartoon like comedy. Also starring Haviland Morris as the Mum, Karen, Kevin Kilner as the Dad, Jack, Marian Seldes as Mrs. Hess, Seth Smith as Stan, and a young Scarlett Johansson as Molly. The villains are good and the new kid is pretty good, oh, and the comedy is still good! Good!

better than expected

Author: Special-K88
18 March 2002

Precocious youngster Linz—a target of torment for his older siblings and uptight next door neighbor—is stuck at home with the dreaded chicken pox. He stumbles upon a top secret computer chip that makes him the target of four, high-precision international spies determined to re-obtain it, but the feisty youngster is determined to defend his home at all costs. The whole thing is pretty formulaic, but smarter crooks, an appealing cast, and a surprising amount of unexpected laughs help overcome the script's familiarity and wild leaps of logic. Not very original, but there are more than enough good gags and amusing situations to make it worth a look. **½

Author: Toronto85 from Canada
17 December 2012

Home Alone 3 tells a whole different story then the original two. Instead of the McCallisters, we meet the Pruitt family and in particular the main character Alex. A computer chip worth ten million dollars is placed into a toy car by our four villains in an attempt to get through airport security. There is a mix up at the airport, and the toy car ends up in the possession of an older woman who gives it to little Alex as a gift. The four bad guys track the car to a neighbourhood in Chicago and break into a series of houses looking for the chip. Alex (who is HOME ALONE with chicken pox) see's the crooks breaking into the houses an calls the cops, only to look like a prank caller each time. The villains looking for the chip eventually realize that little Alex has it and that's when the fun begins - Home Alone style.

I actually enjoyed Home Alone 3 as a kid and as an adult now. No, it isn't as good as the original films and no Alex Linz is not Macaulay Culkin. But this movie gets points for breaking off from the McCallister storyline. I mean how many times can that family forget the same kid? Young actor Alex Linz who plays Alex in Home Alone 3 does a great job taking on this big role, he manages to not put in an annoying performance like so many child actors can be do these kind of movies. The crooks include three men and one female, and I like that they added a woman into that villain role. They all are good actors and add plenty to this movie.

The best comedic moments come from the crooks, especially David Thornton as 'Unger'. There are some ho-hum funny moments which fall flat such as the talking parrot and a few scenes with Alex's older brother and sister who "torment" him. Another flaw was the actual "home alone" bit, and the fact that Alex isn't really home alone as we've seen in the first two films. His mother leaves him for a couple of hours as he recuperates from Chicken Pox, hardly the same as Kevin McCallister went through. And I don't like that it doesn't take place ON Christmas. But those drawbacks don't take away from the whole movie at all.

Home Alone 3 isn't great, but it takes some risks by moving from the original plot and adds some smarts it with the computer chip story. These aren't your simple criminals like the wet bandits were, they are after far more than some jewellery and expensive silverware. I recommend Home Alone 3 for sure!

Hi-Tech Spies Are No Match For A Kid With Chicken Pox!

Author: (robocoptng986127@aol.com) from U.S.A
6 November 2001

The long awaited Home Alone 3 is here. Only this one is a new movie based on the idea of the first two, but doesn't star Macaulay Culkin or Joe Pesci or Daniel Stern, none of those guys. And, this one doesn't take place on Christmas, this one starts in January. Four international spies: Petr Beaupre, Burton Jernigan,

Earl Unger, and Alice Ribbons, have smuggled a computer chip into the country in a toy car. The chip will make a missile untrackable and unstoppable once placed in one. But there's been a problem: a

mix-up of luggage at the airport causes an old lady, Mrs. Hess, to take the toy car with chip home and the crooks are stuck with her

luggage. [REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS, BUT DO READ ON!] Mrs. Hess lives in Chicago, and her neighbor is 8-year-old Alex Pruitt. He shovels the snow off her driveway and she's anything

but nice to him. She gives Alex the toy car, but that's not the only gift Alex receives, for when he returns home, he finds he has the chicken pox! And now the crooks have ventured into town. They know the street the chip is on, but not which house it's in. What to do? According to Mr. Beaupre: "Search them all." Because since it's the suburbs, nobody is home during the day, except for Alex who's home sick with the pox. Alex discovers Beaupre in two houses on two days and both times calls the police, but Beaupre manages to illute their grasp, so the police think it was a false alarm. Since nobody believes Alex, he takes matters into his own hands. He attaches a camcorder to the toy car and it films Beaupre searching the Alcott house, but that plan backfires drastically. These crooks have the most state of the art equipment: phone splicers and tappers, even a device for debugging the burglar alarm on people's houses. Soon Beaupre, Jernigan, Alice and Unger discover who's behind this. They plan to go to Alex's house next, so it's time to set up the "security". While the rest of the

family sleeps, Alex rigs up booby traps like the other kid in the two previous Home Alone films. It's got: electric fences, toppling trunks of books, toppling barbell, everything! Next day, they venture to the Pruitt house. Unger is electrofied by the fence,

Alice falls in a mud puddle and two flower pots fall on her head, Jernigan finds a dummy attached to a lawn mower that comes crashing down on him, so after much more madness, Jernigan and Unger jump into a pool disguised as a trampoline, Alice breaks her back, and Beaupre hides in an igloo rigged with dynomite and is left at the mercy of Alex's smart allec bird. So the four criminals go to jail, not only that, but they also have the chicken pox! The Air Force got the chip back, and Alex doesn't go unrewarded. But this film does not live up to the first two!

It's funny and all, but it follows new storylines, which I guess isn't bad. Original stories which are in a series take some getting used to. Halloween III in the Halloween trilogy is a good example. It doesn't

have Michael Myers in it, it's based on the IDEA of HALLOWEEN and uses the title, kind of like Home Alone 3. I wonder if they'll make a Home Alone 4. You think? I doubt it, but if they do, will it star Kevin McCallister or Alex Pruitt? Or maybe even another kid stalked by burglars. Could be! But for now, we've got these from the genius mind of John Hughes! ------------

Not As Good As The First Two!

Author: anonymous from Rhinebeck, NY
30 June 1999

When Home Alone 1 & 2 came out, everyone loved Macaulay Culkin and it became a big box office hit because they had some funny scences in the movie. All I have to say about Home Alone 3 is it was very pointless to come out, I feel like they wanted to make it as big as the originals but it got nowhere...I even thought the acting was bad. Some scenes in the movie were okay, so if you liked the originals, its worth seeing on a rainy day.

The Fighting Child

Author: tedg (tedg@filmsfolded.com) from Virginia Beach
4 January 2006

Is there a more interesting case study than John Hughes?

He invented a new genre and incidentally opened a new strain of cinematic techniques.

But writing is like other major enterprises in life. Each hit on the pool ball does three things; it attempts to score, it completely changes the environment and at the same time sets the cue ball up for the next stab at scoring.

Writers beware. Everything you do becomes a legacy that shapes what you can do next. Only a small part of that is what readers expect; the bigger limits are always placed by the writer. Can one ever escape the familiar when you know you can do it well? Its a sort of falling in love and it never leaves you.

Go back and trace the story of his stories. You'll find each one writing himself into a smaller box.

Some details relate to this movie. What he did was take big themes, let's call them adult themes, and transpose them to the world of children. Its a common enough technique, this bit about shifting frames of reference, and he wasn't the first. Dr. Suess comes to mind with kids and naturally we have the root of science fiction.

But Hughes hit a spot that was so sweet because the target frame of reference he chose was one we all have experienced. In fact, he chose only elements of pre-adulthood that were so simple the viewer didn't even have to reminisce. You can trace his own path in this. Over time he became an adult assaulting the world of children.

And over time, the child in us started to fight back, because after a certain point we won't tolerate having our past stolen. We know we are unique. We know each time he uses our past as a generic wrapper it becomes homogenized with millions of other childhoods. So we choose to repel the invader.

That's what makes these home alone movies so fascinating. He gets into a self-referential loop where the charm isn't about how successfully the adult invades the adolescent, but how successfully the child repels it.

The problem is that as time goes on, even though these become more interesting virtual biography of the curse of writing, these become less interesting as amusements.

shouldn't have made this

Author: colinwhitefan
18 July 2003

Alex D. Linz replaces Macaulay Culkin as the central figure in the third movie in the Home Alone empire. Four industrial spies acquire a missile guidance system computer chip and smuggle it through an airport inside a remote controlled toy car. Because of baggage confusion, grouchy Mrs. Hess (Marian Seldes) gets the car. She gives it to her neighbor, Alex (Linz), just before the spies turn up. The spies rent a house in order to burglarize each house in the neighborhood until they locate the car. Home alone with the chicken pox, Alex calls 911 each time he spots a theft in progress, but the spies always manage to elude the police while Alex is accused of making prank calls. The spies finally turn their attentions toward Alex, unaware that he has rigged devices to cleverly booby-trap his entire house. Home Alone 3 wasn't horrible, but probably shouldn't have been made, you can't just replace Macauley Culkin, Joe Pesci, or Daniel Stern. Home Alone 3 had some funny parts, but I don't like when characters are changed in a movie series, view at own risk.

Cool Gadgets

Author: presence from Los Angeles
12 January 1999

I've heard many damaging reviews about this movie saying that it was too similar to the first and everything was just wrong about it. Well, I totally disagree saying that this movie was very creative with the new traps used for the bad guys. Alex Linz did a great job in this film and in my opinion lived up to the performance of Macaulay Culkin. Despite the somewhat simple and unoriginal plot, I was thoroughly entertained by the sheer comedy of this movie and the cool gadgets that Alex got to use. I thought the remote control car scene was brilliant. 8/10

Please! Make them stop!

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
1 May 2004

The first "Home Alone" was one of the funniest movies of the 90's. The second was just as funny with the same cast and jokes! Now comes "Home Alone 3". I was curious how they could continue with the same story considering Kevin would've been 17 by 1997. He could take care of himself, right? So, what does the director decide to do? He takes a child just as annoying and makes him sick. The kid is like 6 years old and the mother leaves him alone in the house? What kind of team of burgerlers are these idiots? I don't really want to get too into detail if you want to sadly see this movie. But please, I'd recommend that you'd stay away from it. It's not worth your precious time. Go fold a piece of paper, do chores, balance a pencil on your nose, or take a nap! It's better to do then to watch "Home Alone 3"!

Stop! Just . . . stop!

Author: The_Film_Cricket from Birmingham, Alabama
12 May 2012

*** SPOILER ALERT ***

I think the problem with trying to turn out sequels to Home Alone is that that the original concept is not something that you can build on. Here you have a premise of a kid left home alone who has to use physical stunts and painful booby traps to defend the house from adults who want to do him harm. That's not exactly an epic idea. It wasn't a thoroughly ingenious concept for the first one and the sequels only make it worse.

Home Alone 3 reeks of desperation. Every element that made the other two films endearing to kids is gone and has been replaced by insufficient copies. Gone are the entire original cast, Macaulay Culkin is now a teenager and wisely turned down an offer to make this movie. Gone are Joe Peschi and Daniel Stern who obviously have better things to do. What remains is a name-only sequel – a remake really – that offers no hints of what turned Home Alone into the best-selling comedy of all time.

Culkin has been replaced by a new kid, Alex D. Linz, a cute little mop-top who probably has screen presence but, for me, is nothing more than your standard Hollywood acting kid. Linz plays Alex Pruitt, a different kid who lives in the same kind of suburban Chicago neighborhood with a smaller family (mom, dad, a brother and a sister, who is played by Scarlett Johannson), and an even smaller house. As the movie opens, he gets the chicken pox, which never seems to spread beyond a few small red dots on his neck. He's one of those kids fused with ingenuity and a room loaded with every toy imaginable, including his own telescope and a large pet mouse named Doris.

The outside forces that invade Alex's space come from four all-star professional criminals who are tracking a computer chip that they have stolen from a North Korean terrorist group. In an effort to get it past airport security, they hide it inside a remote controlled car and put it inside a shopping bag. At the metal detector, the bag is mistakenly picked up by an elderly woman who takes it home. The crooks track her to her neighborhood but can't locate the toy car. That means they will have to search them all one by one.

Alex spots the crooks through his telescope and, unlike Culkin's character, at least has the sense to call the cops right away. The crooks make a break for it before the cops can show up, and that leads to two irritating scenes in which Alex is able to identify the perpetrators AND their car, but the adults are too stupid to do anything but warn him about making phony phone calls . . . twice! As the crooks zero in on Alex, he decides that he has to take care of things himself and that leads to a long, very long, third act in which he sets up a large series of booby traps that include bricks to the head, shots to groin, electrocution, break-away floors, and even a runaway lawnmower. Those scenes are sheer torture, they go on and on and on and on until you just want to wave a white flag. Much to my pain and suffering, as I sat through Home Alone 3, I could imagine that no movie this bad could possibly spawn a Home Alone 4. We'll see.

Page 2 of 14:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]