IMDb > Heavy Metal 2000 (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Heavy Metal 2000

Heavy Metal 2000 More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Movie similar to TITAN A.E. Not a bad film but...

Author: ghost-9 from disneyland
20 June 2001

HM 2000 is a fairly good animated movie similar to TITAN A.E. I'm 35 and remember seeing the original HEAVY METAL in 81 and I have stacks of the magazines. I searched through pawn shops till I found a bootleg tape years before it was released. It's one of my favorites. At the theater where I used to work, HEAVY METAL was as popular as ROCKY HORROR at the midnight movies. I wouldn't want my children to watch it, as it was filled with sardonic humor, sarcasm, sex, drug use (nosedive!) and violence. I wouldn't mind my children watching HM2000 as it isn't much worse than what's on t.v. these days. And therein lies the rub, the magazine is not for all ages, and neither was the original movie. Granted, the story could have been a story in HM magazine and is, but the fans expected it to be more like the original. The Rerelease of the original was touted "louder and nastier than ever" and the fans flocked to see it, including a new generation of fans that had heard about the legendary film. The video tapes sold like hot cakes, nearly everyone I know owns a copy. Now supposedly, Kevin Eastman and associates had been working on the new movie for close to 8 years. It was chosen to be one story, instead of an anthology. That's fine if the consensus is that the story is fantastic. Unlike the original, they didn't pick the best stories from the magazine and then bring them to life. Eastman decided it would be cool to use his wife, the beautiful model and actress, Julie Strain as the model for the lead character. Cool, so far so good. Hype showed Julie in skimpy costumes wielding huge swords and submachine guns. Royo and Bisley had done numerous paintings of this Xena, Red Sonja, and Rambo all rolled into one, bad-ass warrior woman. Obviously, she was to be bigger and tougher than Taarna from the original. From Bisley's MELTING POT, the comic on which it was loosely based, one would expect massive battle fields with hand to hand combat, something like the fighting in GLADIATOR, THE 13th WARRIOR, BRAVEHEART, or SOLDIER only nastier and meaner. One would have expected villains unrivaled in their cruelty and violence, villains so vile that your blood pressure would have risen whenever they were on screen. To balance this one would expect lots of humor to flavor the story. The best movies are filled with humor even if the movie is fairly serious like AMERICAN BEAUTY or SAVING PRIVATE RYAN. One would have expected lots of black humor, wise cracks and humorous situations. After all, they had 20 years to come up with a great story and a library of over 100 issues of HM that they had the legal right to use. One would have expected hot, sexy, little honeys that would have made you wish you were a cartoon, Julie Strain had done raunchy adult layouts for Earl Miller that were published in PENTHOUSE wearing the FAKK2 outfit. You would have expected this to have been one bloody, raunchy, sexy movie with a HEAVY METAL soundtrack. Would you go to a movie entitled HEAVY METAL to hear Rap or New Age or Grindcore or any other kind of music. I thought not. It does not suck because it is a bad movie, it is a relatively o.k. movie. It sucks because of what it could have been. Lastly, the decision to go cable t.v. first and then straight to video was noble, because they realized the fans would be disappointed, but stupid. We wanted to see it on the big screen. It would have earned 100 million easy. I know you don't believe me but there are LOTS of Heavy Metal fans out here and it would have. You literally threw MILLIONS of dollars away and the fans would have liked the opportunity to have seen it on the big screen even if it sucked. I know I would have and I would have been first in line for the first screening and paid my 6 bucks and all of that. My suggestion is to redeem yourselves by making a BADASS Heavy Metal 3 and go all digital, it's easier and it looks better.

A disappointing sequel to a bona-fide cult classic.

Author: The Dude- from Salem, VA
2 February 2001

Being a huge and longtime fan of the original Heavy Metal film, I was ecstatic when I heard that they were finally planning a sequel.

Well, after viewing it, I was nothing short of disappointed in it. The animation was stiff and unconvincing and the combination of second-rate computer animation and hand drawn art was jarring and sloppy. What made the first film work so well was that it was an anthology of stories from animators/writers around the world. It was definitely a film where the whole was greater than the sum of it's parts.

The "sequel" on the other hand is just one long story. It's painfully obvious that they tried to stretch what might had made a great 30 minutes cartoon into a paper thin 88 minutes feature. The gore/violence and nudity were apparently thrown in just so it would be rated R and not PG-13.

The one thing that is great is the voice acting. The choices were definitely inspired and the cast really gets into their characters.

While it's by no means a bad film, it's just that it's been done before (and much better.)

Rating:6

Rock you like a Hurricane

Author: pumaye from Firenze, Italy
17 June 2002

It's better than I thought of this animation movie following the cult hit of the same name of 1981. Julie Strain is the muse that has inspired the animators for creating the heroine of this movie (and any film with Julie in it, even as a cartoon clone, is worth all of your time, trust me). The story is nothing particular, but it's fun to watch. There is also a very good heavy metal score that pervades the movie. Beware: it's bloody, politically uncorrect and with a few nude scenes. Another reason to watch it and enjoy.

Not that bad

Author: David Elroy from United States
11 October 2002

I've read the posted comments at this site, and wow - people are really enjoying ripping this movie to pieces. I admit, it is not a great movie by any standard, and it certainly pales in comparison to 1981's original HM. First, it's too bad that it adapts only one story, and not a diverse selection of linked stories, from the pages of the comics. Second, there are no memorable characters here - no Den, no Harry Canyon. Third, this film lacks humor and it lacks tenderness (the surprising touches of softness helped give soul to the original). YET, the animation is dazzling with a lively combination of computerized and traditional techniques. The action scenes are very exciting. The women (though only two of them) are beautiful. The soundtrack is also excellent, tho, like the film as a whole, it is lacking in tenderness. Not a must-see, but not a disaster. 6/10

Highly derivative and in some ways tamer

Author: JoeB131 from United States
19 April 2009

Unfortunately, this film is just a rehash of the 1981 classic, particularly the last story about Tarna. (They even redid the whole "Swimming to get your battle armor" scene.)

Essentially, the plot is that a guy is infected by a glowing green evil that makes him into a homicidal maniac, seeking to destroy. In the process, they slaughter the heroine's community, and she goes on a quest to hunt down the raiders and avenge them.

Let's talk about sex. This film has a couple of nude shots where it looks like you are going to get some sex scenes, but then they pull out at the last minute. Coitus Interruptus! The 1981 original actually contained several graphic sex scenes. This film pulled out (pun intended) just in time.

Michael Ironside does a great job as the villain, exuding menace over his character's poor animation. But overall, it's barely worth watching...

Meh, not a very good sequel

Author: mergatroid-1 from Canada
6 October 2011

Heavy Metal magazine was one of the best things growing up. I have both of the movies and still love the original, but this movie does not compare at all. The story is a little laughable. Heavy Metal has literally hundreds of stories to pick from so why they selected this one I just don't know. The animation is good, and so are the acting talents even without John Candy. They could have done so much better though.

One scene is stolen directly from the first movie, almost literally. The heroin babe of the story has to dress in her sexy battle outfit, and they could have just copied and pasted the scene from the first movie considering it's almost exactly the same. Talk about lazy.

If you see this on TV (Teletoon or something) it's worth a watch, but personally I wouldn't pay any more than $5 bargain bin prices for it.

HM2K OK!

Author: kaijuboy from Spokane, WA, USA
23 December 2000

When watching HEAVY METAL 2000, you have to forget the first film. The original HEAVY METAL was ground-breaking in its day. After all, very few animators ever tried directing animation towards adults (only Ralph Bakshi comes to mind)in the U.S.. Add to this the fact that the original HEAVY METAL was unavailable for nearly 20 years and you have a true cult classic. It is unfair to compare them.

On its own, HEAVY METAL 2000 is ok, neither good or bad. The animation is average and the story has very little in the way of originality. The voice acting is good, but at times over-the-top. Julie Strain, however, does a very good job voice acting. The film is very predictable and none of the characters are interesting. The background art is excellent.

The music is provided by various heavy metal bands, but little of it fits in the film. The score to the film, however, is better than you would expect.

This film has very little nudity and essentially no sex. What nudity it has is pretty bland. Admit it, you picked up this film looking for illustrated nudity. Well, you won't find much.

Since the original film, anime has made its presence known in the U.S.. Frankly, GHOST IN THE SHELL has more in common with HEAVY METAL (the magazine) than HEAVY METAL 2000 does.

The most serious problems with HEAVY METAL 2000 happened before the film was started. While I credit Kevin Eastman with getting this project going, I believe he lacked the experience to make a movie. If the film had the backing of an experienced producer, the film may have benefited. If Eastman ever considers another HEAVY METAL film, perhaps he should look to Japan for animators.

I've watched this film many times. Why?! Well for one thing, we just don't have very many animated films made in America that are directed to adults. There's a whole group of animation fans that are waiting for a HEAVY METAL film that rocks. Hopefully our wishes will be fulfilled.

Left me cold

Author: Nordicnorn from United States
2 November 2007

Another review here mentioned the likelihood that this was a Julie Strain Ego stroke. I kind of have to agree. I find her a terrible,not-worth-the celluloid actress, although as a cartoon she is better than in real life. The storyline was really weak. So weak in fact one has to wonder if they wrote the entire script on a paper cocktail napkin while out drinking one night. True, the first Heavy Metal's storyline was a little disjointed, but it had multiple contributors and was the first of it's kind. And as the first it was good... and FUN. This one was not fun. There was no ironic/dark comedy moments. You knew where the story was going from moment one. Total formula I could not get involved with these characters either. The writing just never made me care. Lastly there was no sense of adventure. It was just very, repeat VERY, mediocre. Leave it on the shelf at the video store.

A Complete Letdown

Author: caioneach-1 from United States
13 February 2009

Quite honestly, they should have just kept the budget for the magazine and stayed out of the movie business.

In short, you only get one story with this one. The story line is badly developed and loaded with animation that would make Hanna Barbera beam with a new found sense of superiority.

But, it has boobs, which is usually enough to draw the attention of any basement dwelling nerd type away from his D&D campaign.

I will admit to getting some of my prepubescent kicks with this magazine, but when that novelty worn down I discovered that there was indeed a large cache of very well down comic artists. Some very unique material indeed. And sadly, with the first Heavy Metal movie, while they presented various stories and artists, it was apparent they were still under budget constraints.

But I do contend that this recent movie was pretty much an insult to the Heavy Metal magazine name and the people whom have enjoyed it over the years.

Enjoyable!

Author: ATA238 from Queens, New York
25 September 2000

HM 2000 is a fun, action-loaded adult-animated movie that makes no apologies for being what it is: a guilty pleasure. I loved the mixture of 2-D and 3-D animation, and the voice performances by Julie, Mike and Billy are wickedly impressive. Plus, the mad-thumping soundtrack by bands like Days of the New, MDFMK, System of a Down is a sweet icing on the cake.

Based on "The Melting Pot", a comic book by Simon Bisley, Eric Talbot and Kevin Eastman (Julie's husband and head of the adult illustrated magazine "Heavy Metal"), HM 2000 is wickedly twisted, telling the tale of a power-mad space pirate who wants to live forever and the female warrior who wishes to stop him since she murdered her people and destroyed her homeworld.

I wished this movie came out in US theaters, but movie-house owners are too chicken, fearing parents and politicos. What the heck is "The Simpsons" and "South Park"? Instead of a honest adult-animated film, there's a con job named "Titan A.E" which bombed at the box office. This sequel's more respectful of the 1981 classic, and I hope there's plans for a third "Heavy Metal" film.

Keep the metal heavy!