Hamilton (1998) Poster

(1998)

18 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Sweden production plenty of action , suspense and Swedish /American actors
ma-cortes23 October 2007
This Sweden-Norway co-production begins when Carl Hamilton (Peter Stormare) is assigned the dangerous mission to chase Russian gunrunners . Hamilton reunites a command formed by five tough soldiers . They are parachuted into Russian tundra where meet the smugglers and a nuclear missile SS,20, 1,5 megatons . It leads to Mursmank (Russian), there resides Hawkins (Mark Hamill), he formerly served in Vietnam and Fertile Crescent, today is a cunning manager whose 11 employees were the smugglers . Then , Hamilton goes to Lybian desert where encounters the baddies's base . Meanwhile , his wife (Lena Olin) is kidnapped in his mansion of Stenhara but Hamilton goes on the attack on the headquarter .

The film displays suspense , action-packed , thriller , violence and is quite entertaining . The highlights of the film are the impressive beginning with creepy execution including gore and a breathtaking final attack with fighting , pursuits and explosions . The base took several months to build and nearly 60,000 $ worth of damage was done when it was blown apart . This is an adaptation from TV series about Carl Hamilton and his assignments for Swedish government , filmed with high budget and Swedish players , such as Peter Stormare (Prison break , Fargo) , an usual nasty here turned into a cold action hero , American actors as Mark Hamill (Star Wars) as an exaggerated villain and Terry Carter (Galactica) ; furthermore a gorgeous Swedish , Lena Olin (Ninth gate, Chocolat, Unbearable lightness of being ). Rating : Entertaining and well worth watching.
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Comparing to the series "Hamilton"
Finne13 March 2003
Well... I'm glad I first saw the series... and sad that I gave up to my curiosity when I saw this cassette. This is not BAD. I've seen so much worse, made with bigger money even, but if I had seen this first I may not have wanted to see the series. All that was better in the film was the song "And then the tears came" which I do not remember from the series at all. OK, you can't push 3 hours of material into 2 hours-film. But: Why in the devil did they have to use WORSE takes of same scenes in the film? That is something I simply can't understand. But still Peter Stormare is good, Lena Olin is good, Yevgeni Lasarev is good. And Mats Långbacka was actually better than I remembered from the series. For you who blame Peter Stormare being one-faced, just for your information - there's much more to him in the series so try to catch that if you can. There's more to EVERYTHING in the series...

A fun quote: Chivartsev: "And this is Commander Hamilton from Swedish Intelligence." Hawkins: "Swedish INTELLIGENCE? There's a controversy in terms..."
8 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A well done Swedish Action-Flic
OldSwede14 August 1999
This is an impressing Action-Movie from Sweden. Although I think "Den demokratiske Terroristen" is the best Hamilton-Film, "Hamilton" is a very entertaining and action-packed Movie full of suspense. Peter Stormare is nearly as good as Stellan Skarsgård and Mark Hamill does a good job fighting his "Luke Skywalker"-image and makes a really good villain you´ll love to hate. The book are in fact better because of the many details given about the different secret services and political conspirations, but - hey - this should be an action movie. Despite that, the beginning of "Hamilton" with the nightmarish execution-scene in the russian Tundra from "Ingen mans land" is one of the most intense filmparts ever made. It´s worth watching it.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Outstanding!
anystroem15 January 2004
This was an awesome movie that actually made you feel as if you were part of the plot, and kept the audience reminded of the fact that good & evil deeds depends on whom you are pulling for. I rank it right up there with some of the blockbuster hits out of Hollywood with much heavier payrolls adn budgets than that of Hamilton. This is absolutely one of the better movies in its genre.
8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Outstanding!
anystroem15 January 2004
This was an awesome movie that actually made you feel as if you were part of the plot, and kept the audience reminded of the fact that good & evil deeds depends on whom you are pulling for. I rank it right up there with some of the blockbuster hits out of Hollywood with much heavier payrolls and budgets than that of Hamilton. This is absolutely one of the better movies in its genre.
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This is my humble opinion of the movie Hamilton.
Spidde23 January 1999
This is one of the better movies about Carl Hamilton and his missions for the swedish goverment.

Peter Stormare plays the part of Hamilton quite good but sometimes he is a litle stiff specially in scens with Tess (Lena Olin). But in the action scenes he is perfect. The way he grins with his teeth when Hamilton is in a tight spot is a thing of beauty. Mark "Luke Skywalker" Hamill is playing the bad guy in this film, and he is not bad as Hawkins. He is both funny and bad at the same time which is making the character more interesting.

The story is not the best one from Jan Guillou but it is enough to make it one of the better ones.

I still think that Stellan Skarsgard is "Carl Hamilton".
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A great Swedish movie
gregerpalm9 August 2003
I read what another one of my fellow users had written about Hamilton. he apparently thought that it was an, and I quote, "amaricanized piece of garbage". This is completely wrong. It is an excellent action movie and as for the fact that Peter Stormare is playing the leading role, I can tell u that he is the best hamilton ever. Stellan Skarsgård was the last one to play hamilton and he was much worse than Peter Stormare. It's definately a 8/10.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Americanized piece of garbage
akhilles8423 October 2001
This is without doubt the worst film in the Hamilton saga and the worst actor to do Carl Hamilton.Peter Stormare just cant pull it off,with his psychotic looks and no style at all.He may be good to do killers and psychotic maniacs like in "Fargo" or "8mm" but in this type of roles,he is just useless.

Lena Olin's presence did no use for this film.She couldnt save it from being what it is:an americanized copy of big budget action movies like "Goldeneye","Die Hard 3","Broken Arrow" etc.This film has nothing swedish in it but the actors.Its clear that some norweagian upstart director with McTiernan as model director has made this.

Mark Hamill's presence is only laughable. 2 out of 10
8 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Is this the best Hamilton film ever? I think so. Harald Schwart,Peter Stormare and Lena Olin gives Hamilton a whole new dimension.
Mighty Schmoe Pong18 November 1998
This is probably the best Hamilton film ever. Although there`s a few holes in the story,Scwart manages to give us the story of the two Jan Guillou books Ingenmanslan Den Enda Segern. I suppose those holes will be corrected in the TV-series. Peter Stormare is,in my opinion the best Hamilton ever,and getting Lena Olin to play Tessie was also a major scoop. Althogh I don`t think I can ever identify Mark Hamill as anyone else than Luke Skywalker,I think he gives Mike Hawkins the necessary cynicism that the character was given by Jan Guillou.
3 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
nonsense
fred-8327 August 1999
Another example that we should stay away from trying to do spectacular action movies in Sweden, it doesn´t work, except for Widerbergs still unsurpassed MANNEN PÅ TAKET. Stormare does the best he can, I suppose, and some scenes are mildly effective, but the plot is FULL of holes. Why does Hamilton continue the attack on the base, knowing that his wife is held hostage? It was fun to see Mark Hamill, but his Bad Guy-part was very underwritten. I´m constantly amazed that relatively big Swedish movies like this get made without a sensible, functioning script. 1 out of 5.
5 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this