IMDb > Good Burger (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Good Burger: 7/10

Author: movieguy1021 (Movieguy1021@comcast.net) from Anywhere, USA
4 June 2004

Movies from TV shows almost always never work. It's even worse when a movie is based off of a skit from Saturday Night Live. So it's no wonder people were less than inviting when Good Burger came about, a movie based off of a skit from a kids version of SNL that airs on Nickelodeon. Seeing as I used to be a big fan of All That, I decided to give Good Burger another go-round, to see if its juvenile humor still stood up throughout the years. And it did.

Ed (Kel Mitchell) is a man of indeterminable age who works at a local dining establishment, Good Burger. He's basically a stoner that doesn't use drugs (at least in the movie). When a customer asks for a burger with nothing on it, he just gives him a bun. Ed'd rather play miniature golf then spend time "alone" with Roxanne (Carmen Electra). After crashing his mother's car, Dexter (Kenan Thompson) needs a job, so first he tries the new Mondo Burger, opening across the street from Good Burger. But then he gets a job with Good Burger, and Mondo Burger opens, which threatens to put Good Burger out of business. What are Ed and Dexter to do?

As Leonard Maltin puts it, "Like fast food itself, this film offers no real nourishment, but will appeal to kids just the same." Perhaps the first statement is true, but is there anything wrong with that? Sometimes a brainless, fun time at the movies is all one desires. And although it's based off of a kids show, anyone of any age can enjoy it. Even if its juvenile humor doesn't strike you as particularly hilarious, it's entertaining, and more importantly, its heart is in the right place. Most of the humor isn't mean-spirited, the main character of Ed is just too likeable to do anything mean. In fact, Ed makes the movie. With his wacky brand of living, he's a hilarious character, and a nice guy at that.

So don't let the light-hearted nature of this movie stop you from seeing it. You'll get some laughs out of it, like I did, but you'll find that it's a fun movie. I guarantee it.

My rating: 7/10

Rated PG for language, some comic violence and mild sex-related humor.

One of my families favorite kid movies....

Author: bakat-1 from Louisville KY
28 June 2004

It's a FUN movie! As college educated parents of a 12 year old and a 5 year old, this is one of our favorites and I registered with IMDb just to comment on this movie since everyone else seems to be slamming it. Loads of fun but not for anyone looking for "good theater". It's pure silliness for kids; with bad logic and improbable plot lines, and the kids are of course the heroes. So if you are just looking for some plain clean fun to watch with your kids, I suggest this one! And there's no dancing bears or singing furniture (but, there are flying, talking hamburgers...) So here's the scoop, if you want an educational show for your kids, go elsewhere. But if you want to sit down, eat popcorn and laugh, get this one.

It's A Kids Movie!

Author: gluba2000 from South Boston, Massachusetts
20 February 2005

I'm so annoyed coming to IMDb and these so called critics (if you're really a superior critic then what are you doing online at a website coming and pointing out FLAWS in a kids movie?) I saw this when it came out and I was a kid then. I liked it. Enough said.

Kids will enjoy it (though I'm not too sure today because they might not be familiar with who Kenan and Kel are *cough*geniuses*cough* all kids that watch All That today know the basiness of the cast members that are currently on there (they suck) Though, if your a fan of the classic All That or Kenan & Kel then you'll like this film.

It's goofy but like I said it's a kids movie, what do you expect?

The second Nick feature a winner!

Author: SpideyTerry from Ardmore, PA
1 August 2001

This 1997 movie is based on a hilarious sketch from the series, All That. Well, Good Burger is just as hilarious on the big screen as it is on the small screen. Even though this movie was marketed as a kid's film, it can really be enjoyed by all ages. The plot is simple and has it's flaws, but that doesn't hurt the movie. Just sit back and relax, and you're sure to enjoy this movie. The movie is funny mainly due to it's stars, Kenan and Kel. They have an excellent chemistry together and are a great comedy team. Thumbs up for Good Burger!

incredibly disappointing

Author: Ross1223
26 November 2003

Indeed i am very disappointed that this movie did not win millions of awards because it rocked so hard. How can you go wrong with the guy who played Russ Tyler in D2 the mighty ducks? This amazing comedy duo not only dazzled me with their in your face laugh out loud jokes but they got the hottest gear known to man. YYYYUMMMM!!!! OH SNAP!!!!! 10 out of 10

No Oscar contender here....

Author: BTM-2 from WA, USA
18 October 1999

...But who cares? This is simply a fun movie to watch with your kids. Though I don't have kids,I sat down with this one anyway,and had a great time. The character of Ed is downright hilarious. He actually holds the film together and keeps it entertaining. Sinbad is good as afro-sporting accident-prone teacher Mr.Wheat,and good ol' Abe Vigoda shows up as the geriatric fry guy.

A fun flick that shouldn't be missed...fast food,fast fun....

2 1/2 out of 4 stars

best nickelodeon movie ever

Author: ayaotd from Australia
6 January 2006

good burger is the best kids comedy movie I've ever seen because Keenan and kel were the perfect match to be in this movie as they are the funniest pair of teenagers ever.I like it because in the end the bad guys lose which is a good relief.Brian robbins and Dan schneider really did create a very good nickelodeon masterpiece but i must say i am very disappointed with the ratings being low because this is the ultimate adolescent comedy movie.i just wish i knew what the secret sauce was because i forgot what it was that they said it was.soon enough they should make a good burger 2 but call it excellent burger.Keenan and kel really have talent and they should work with it to their full potential

When you mess with Good Burger...you go in the Grinder!

Author: cabasaexpert351 from United States
27 May 2008

I absolutely love this movie. It is very stupid but very funny. Ed is an employee at Good Burger who doesn't have a lot of common sense which makes him very lovable and extremely funny. Dexter is the costar with Ed who is a somewhat spoiled high school student who learns the ethics of hard work and in good friendship. The storyline is pretty simple and a bit ridiculous but it adds to the humor. A new fast food joint has opened up across the street from Good Burger and become a huge competition for Good Burger but there is something not right with this new fast food restaurant though no one can quite put their finger on it. This movie is guaranteed to keep you laughing the whole way through.

Welcome to the Good Burger!

Author: Filmcritic624 from United States
29 December 2005

The cast of "All That" returns for good humor in the "Good Burger" a place similar to an old fashioned fast food restaurant. The comedy is terrific, the fun is non-stop, and though cliché, is a passer for kid and family comedy.

A movie for all ages, this movie is meant to enjoy, laugh, and pretty much a lazy movie for a rainy day, as that's what I'd save this movie for, a rainy day. USA aired it today, and since I know that the cast of "All That" is in it, I thought that it might be a bit of a chuckle burner, but in good fun, as Keenan Thompson and Kel Mitchell (probably one of the best young duos of that time) were terrific together, the pieces came together, and everything worked out, and it made it into good family fun together with some lazy day work to get off the bad day.

May I take your order?

Cinematography in its finest hour

Author: i.like.midgets from USA
17 June 2000

It is such a rare occasion that a film in this day and age can touch the viewer in only the way that a masterpiece like Good Burger can. When I sit back in my chair and reminisce about cinema at its best I think of Casablanca, Lawrence of Arabia, The Godfather, Citizen Cane, and Gone With the Wind. These films all speak to the viewer in a way that most other films can only dream of. They reach out to you touch you deep down in your heart... and in you soul. It's a feeling that transcends all the cultural norms and traditions of today, a feeling that is so much more lasting and fulfilling, one that is undeniable to even the most critical of movie-goers. Good Burger does this and so much more. Not since Weekend At Bernie's has a movie stirred up such strong emotions, such feelings, ones that speak to me on a level of truth that is hard to find in society today.

Brian Robbins ability to direct is nothing short of stunning. His wide angle slow panning techniques from the street to inside the Good Burger fast food facility puts most director's attempts to shame. This is cinematography at it's finest.

Steward Copeland delivers a gripping original musical score for Good Burger that rivals anything John Williams ever could hope to achieve. Steward Copeland's talent has to be heard to be believed and even then it's difficult to take it all in at once. His ability and foresight is truly a breathe of fresh air in an age where most scores have become old and stale.

And last but certainly not least, how can we forget the true stars of Good Burger, Kel Mitchell and Kenan Thompson? This talented acting duo bring to the film nothing but pure and unadulterated performances from a time long forgotten. Not since the early 1900's during plays on Vaudeville, has acting triumphed and reigned supreme over all else. Kenana and Kel bring something to the screen that even the likes of Deniro and Nickleson can only begin to aspire to. Their presence out shines all that approach the screen and this film is surely destined for greatness in not just Hollywood, but the very threads of American History as we know it.

So to you Kel and Kenan, I salute you. Bravo! May the goodest burger in your blossoming acting careers be yet to come. To everyone else, do yourself, and more importantly your country, a favor and go see Good Burger today.

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]