IMDb > Gattaca (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Gattaca

Gattaca More at IMDbPro »

Page 17 of 66: [Prev][12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [Next]

a very underrated and a brilliant film

Author: vibespidersstudios
22 February 2016

I watch this film only once as for a school paper. The more I watch this film. The more I understand the feelings between our main character, Vincent. Played by Ethan Hawke. He brilliantly play as this role of a person who is considered as undesirable character and that influenced him to become the best person he could. But no matter how he approach his life and what he can do. His genes just considered him as "in-valid" to get the job that he dreams of. Which is going to space.

This film made me felt for the character so much that I happens to many people. The film is so cinematic because he is a janitor at the Gattaca Aerospace Corporation. And everyday when he clean the glass roofs the building. They he watches the rocket ship lift off and go into space and says to the audience the he was so close to gaining his own dreams to come true.

Then one day he had a chance to be pose as a "valid" that works for the corporation and finally before that dream happens he gets caught in a situation that he is falsely accused of killing a employer.

This film has some aspects of achieving dreams, and racism between the characters. When Vincent is posing for a valid to work at the corporation. Jerome (played by Jude Law) the man Vincent is posing as got into an car accident outside the country because of his superior genes failed him when he got second in a swimming contest and that drove him the point to attempted suicide.

This script between Vincent and Jerome have the perfect chemistry. They take care for one other because Jerome and Vincent truly does change at the end of the film and it is very sad to see the very end of this film because Jude Law has done the role perfectly as the person who has it all and drops down the ladder because his genes did not work to be superior. And Vincent wants to get up the top but his genes were already inferior since the day he was born.

There is a love story with Vincent and other side character named Irene (played by Uma Thurman). This character Irene also plays a huge role as for more an example for inferior and superior because of her problems that she is unfit but since she is born from the same superior genes. It helps the movie a bit of on what side Irene is on. The superior or the inferior. Either way her choice in the film is decided by Vincent's actions that he is not interested in her gene.

This film is great for start to end. Even though the film is very slow pace. It tells the story very well done of this society that Vincent lives him. Also the ending of the film is very ambiguous. It made me thought about the ending with the doctor talking about his inferior son and he is great fan of him and lets Vincent to be on the ship regardless of his genes. And when he goes to see space for the first time. Which I can't spoil because I want people think genuinely about the ambiguous ending because what happens after he comes back to earth and continue poses as Jerome, what about the relationship with Irene, and does his life expectancy was a lie and his genes were superior than a machine.

One of the best all time movies

Author: dihelson from Brazil
9 February 2016

This is one of the most realistic films ever made about what will happen in the near future, when mankind has the possibility to choose a perfect race, a perfect human being. Here we see the goal of Nazism in the hugest form. Through technology we can change how will be our sons, genetically manipulated, perfect. The movie proves that although perfect beings can be obtained, this doesn't mean that common people won't have ways on this new world. On the contrary! It's interesting how the film was made, and the incredible story. Here we have simply the truth. This will create a great unbalance on the future of mankind, since we're dealing with eugenics.

Cannot see what the fuss is about. I see it as an over-commitment to be unique.

Author: Troy Putland from East Sussex
26 January 2016

Gattaca is one of the very few science fiction films with a one-of-a-kind world that's depth should have me excited before the title credits even start. Genetic engineering governs lives before birth; flawless people with high IQ's and highly resistant to illness. Ethan Hawke is not one of them. He's an In-Valid, someone born of natural birth, with bad eyesight and a dodgy ticker. This premise is stronger than most of its genre, but the depth of Gattaca doesn't end there. Hawke, the genetically flawed, helps out Jude Law, the physically flawed, by pretending to be him (blood, urine, hair strands, DNA and all) so that 'they' get the chance to pop to outer-space, because anyone imperfect is forbidden. It doesn't even end here! A murder is committed at the space station. All fingers point to the 'guy who's not supposed to be there'. Hawke spends most of the film trying to not blow his cover, whilst getting romantic with work colleague Uma Thurman.

Gattaca is organised mess at its best (setup) and worst (plot) due to an over- commitment to be unique. A society of flawless beings who work like drones show that our flaws make up our personalities and sense of humour. Hawke and Thurman are more steely than wooden, whereas Jude Law's crippled genius is the only character with human instincts.

Great promise, poor execution. I nearly felt as bored as the desk-workers at the space-station. Gattaca is in much need of a personality.

Immaculate and multi-layered portrayal of a dystopian future that looks like the '50s!

Author: James
25 January 2016

As the final credits roll to some beautiful and intensely moving theme music by Michael Nyman, the lucky viewer of this fine, fine film will realise he or she has been watching something that ranges far wider and deeper than it has seemed at the outset, or even through many of the earlier scenes. In fact, the full realisation of what we have here is one that only hits home fully maybe 10 minutes before the end, when it suddenly becomes clear how much loyalty, solidarity and goodwill have-nots might have for each other, given how what our DNA does or does not allow us to do can have surprisingly little in common with the places our dreams and innermost longings would like to carry us. Today, the lottery is still running, as we do not know everything about what our genomes condemn us to, or allow us to achieve - but is it not likely that the near-future will see less and less left to biological chance, with more and more "designer babies" and ever-greater discrimination between those who make the genetic cut and those who don't? This is what this film is all about (as well as about the role of chance, which can never quite be eradicated);and it tells its story in the gentlest and most minimalist of ways, so that its real significance somehow just creeps up on you. For some reason best known to themselves, the makers here have gone to extraordinary lengths to give a sort of 1950s sci-fi feel to this film about the near-future (it really must be the near-future, mustn't it? Given routine spaceflights, trips to the moon Titan and all the genetic scanning technology). The presence of guys not in their first flush of youth wearing old-fashioned looking outfits and marvellously played by titans of the screen like Ernest Borgnine, Alan Arkin and Gore Vidal further strengthen the impression, and only helps yet further as we convince ourselves that we are watching a murder mystery told fairly straight, as well as a traditional film about brotherly rivalry that goes back to primaeval instincts (Cain and Abel, Joseph and his brothers anyone?), and even a burgeoning love story, given the progressive (and actually pretty erotic) "warming" of a relationship with the ice-cool Irene, as played beguilingly by Uma Thurman. But then there is yet another thread in this rich tapestry - a symbiotic and ever-so-slightly homoerotic, but far more near-symbiotic, relationship between the two key characters of Jerome and, well, Jerome (as deftly played by Ethan Hawke and Jude Law). Disappointing to realise that this film did not even recoup its costs at the box office, though perhaps not surprising given that this is not a spectacular movie, and thrills and spills are (very largely) lacking. But this is a true piece of the film-maker's art: it looks divine, it means something, it tells its story with utter conviction. And the absolutely mammoth message it has to convey is nevertheless put across in a supremely subtle and sparing manner. It comes as no surprise that this is a film from Andrew Niccol, who also gave us the excellent "Truman Show". All credit to him, and to the whole crew, for this is as cool, smooth, stylish, deep and satisfying a piece of film-making as we could wish for.

Aesthetics of Gattaca perfectly managed to combine movies's main idea with the means of its expression

Author: Norton S from Ukraine
5 January 2016

The world of "Gattaca" is stylized to the grotesque, it's minimalistic, aloof, cold and just as realistic as apple's outline drawing is similar to an actual apple. But this schematic image of the future society which is experiencing "eugenic revolution" best of all emphasizes the emptiness of externally (aesthetically) perfect forms (personal and social), stripped of their depth by illusion of total calculation and control of human destiny. In this sense, "Gattaca" is a sample of the purity of the genre of science fiction, in its understanding as the artistic interpretation of the possible impact of scientific advances on society. There is no need to portray wonders of futuristic technology in "Gattaca", all the attention and visual tools focused on the main - technological (eugenic) breakthrough and its possible social consequences.

In this minimalistic and cold, seemingly perfect world of the future, where everything, even the human person, is estimated, weighed, calculated and built-in into the social mechanisms according to the "scientific methods", it turns out that the most perfect one, is broken mentally and physically disabled person who has lost all interest in life. On the other hand a "genetic junk", the heart of whom should have stop beating long time ago, is not only alive and well, but with persistence achieves his goals and is on top of the "scientifically- based" social pyramid in which he should be an outcast. And it's not so much because of the ambitions of the protagonist, but because of that elusive inner strength of a person which can not be calculated and measured by no technocrat geneticist, and which is vague and weightless, does not fit the mathematical minimalism, but outweighs all the scientific advances and cold calculation.

"Child of God," Vincent remains free (no wonder his surname is Freeman) in programmed and dehumanized world which is striped of Lord's granted free will, not because Vincent has any special skills or abilities, but because he has not lost faith in the freedom to choose his own destiny and courage to follow his choice, do not became a conformist. Here "Gattaca" managed to show much brighter and deeper an idea which a year later Alex Proyas tried to express in his Dark City.

Special attention should be given to Michael Nyman's music and the aesthetics of the movie itself, which perfectly managed to combine it's main idea with the means of its expression.

Emortionaly stirring film.

Author: Cheritaro from Japan
22 December 2015

Gattaca-indicate the lines of DNA is the science fiction film about eugenics. In the future world parents can choose their children with the genetically engineering, the fate of people has decided when they born. Vincent, born without any genetic manipulation, thought as looser. Everyone compare with her perfect younger brother, genetically manipulated. However, Vincent keeps training himself for the dream- to become an astronaut. After competition with his brother, he decides the change DNA sample with the ex-swimmer Jerome. Jerome has the special gene, but he attempted suicide out of despair. Vincent fights with his fate. He breaks the rule, but I can't help cheering for him. As same as I, Jerome supports Vincent at the risk of his life. The story becomes thrilling, but sometimes impressed by his supporters. In this film, contrasts of men are important. Firstly, the relationship between Vincent and his brother. Next, the relationship between Vincent and Jerome. The strength of friendship deeply moved me.Vincent takes over those relationships. I can't stand crying at the last. In the universe, all human is same. This film reminds us what decide human value and how grate our life.

Gattaca - A new identity ?

Author: Kevin-Pascal-Staengel from Monaco
17 December 2015

"Gattaca" is a science fiction movie by Andrew Nichol which is produced in 1997. The movie is filled with high-grade actors like Uma Thurman who plays Irene Cassini. The plot is interesting but not really catching.

The story is about a guy who wants to become an astronaut but because of an heart illness he can't fly. So he changed his identity, this brings many problems.

In my opinion the actors have done a great job, but in many scenes the music missing, so that they appear boring.

The last to say is that in my opinion everyone who likes science (fiction) should watch this movie. For the "normal" people the movie could be a bit boring because it given really action.

Dreaming of Gattaca.

Author: julidawid from Germany

Dreaming of Gattaca.

in the movie "Gattaca", released in 1997, there is one young boy dreaming of space, but there's something not that special about him. when Vincent was born he was diagnosed with a high risk of heart failure and wouldn't make it that far. But as he got older his desire of going to space grew.

i personally really liked the movie you could feel the tension throughout the whole film because you don't know what's happening next. All parts of the film were playing on earth at the Gattaca station. The music was very descent but appropriate. the characters fit really good into the role, bringing out perfectly their acting skills. the movie isn't that new, you recognize it while watching it, because of the special effects which aren't that great, but thats not of a big deal. the movie is very interesting caused by the different types of Genre mixed in, like of course Sci-Fi but also pretty funny with smart comebacks, love is also intended. i don't want to give away too much so i really recommend the film. it became one of my favorites. Andrew Niccols did a really good job. Have fun watching it.

Gattaca - a realistic possibility of our future?

Author: LuckyChucky Duke from Uzbekistan
17 December 2015

"Gattaca" is a science-fiction thriller of Andrew Niccol which has been released in 1997.There is Ethan Hawke as Vincent Luca/Jerome, Uma Thurman as Irene and Jude Law as the original Jerome alias Eugene. The movie takes about 102 minutes. You can watch the movie in German, English and french.

The story is about Vincent Luca who struggles, as a "god-child", to become a Gattaca pilot flying to the planet "Titan" which belongs to the Mars. He changes his identity with Jerome Morrow, a former sport athlete, so that there'll be a big confrontation between the police and Vincent/Jerome.

In general the plot is really exciting and it has got a lot of tension but the story sets at too less different location. Mainly the story is set at the Gattaca station which is boring to watch. The performance of the actors is really convincing. We feel(ed) like we are/were inside the story. A little bit boring is also that there aren't really much details in a lot of scenes which made the mood really quiet and boring. The camera-work and the cut of the film is surprisingly really good for the time in 1997.

To summarize, we'd recommend for watching the film because "Gattaca" has got a lot of tension. In addition the performance of the actors is great and "Gattaca" shows a realistic and possible future which depends on technology. The movie is still not perfect but we rate the movie with 7 out of 10*.

Gattaca, a place where can be who you want to be

Author: viet_hoang from Germany
17 December 2015

Gattaca is a movie from Andreas Nicol. The main characters are Vincent Anton Freeman ( Ethan Hawke), Jeromke Morrow ( Jude Law) and Iriene Cassisini ( Uma Thurman) The movie came out in 1997 and it's Genre is sci-Fi. The movie is about Vincent Anton Freeman who is been discriminated his whole life by everyone he knew, including his family, because he had a high chance of dying caused by a heart failure in a young age. Like black people are discriminated by society nowadays, the movie shows, that in the future might be other reasons for discrimination. At the beginning the movie is pretty sad but it gets happier while watching Vincentletting his dream come true. The movie is phenomenal and it fits the actions very nice.The acting of the actors are really convincing because you can sense, that they put their feelings int it. The setting is very fantastic,but you should be careful while watching the movie ,because it's really easy to get confused. It would be better if you watch it twice. All in all I think it is really an good movie, it has a good plot and it teaches you to never give up on your dreams. If you're a fan of sci-Fi movies you should give it a try. I recommend Gattaca to everyone.