IMDb > The Game (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Game

The Game More at IMDbPro »

Page 34 of 48: [Prev][29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [Next]

Mind Boggling! A Must See.

Author: Brian-272 from Oakwood, Virginia USA
16 April 2000

The Game is the best thriller ever! I just want to mention that Michael Douglas has really hit the mark as an actor. Michael Douglas is one of Hollywood's best actors an all time great, his role in the Game his best ever performance puts him in a class of his own. The Game can best be described as a puzzler about a control freak billionaire (Michael Douglas) caught in a deadly swirl of cat and mouse when his younger disreputable brother (Sean Penn) gives him a gift certificate to participate in a mysterious game that invades his ordered existence. Douglas's role of Nicholas Van Orton has to win the deadly game or lose control of life. After Van Orton battles the mystery and ultimate terror challenge of "The Game", surprise all just a birthday gift. The object of any game is fear and surprise. The Game is a must see due to Michael Douglas's no nonsense acting and the thrilling mystery that boggles your mind, only to harmlessly surprise in the end. A must see, Michael Douglas at his best.

I'd be willing to bet vital parts of my anatomy on the fact that you won't guess the end of this movie until the end.

Author: Mr. Media (scully266@aol.com) from U.S. OF A.
11 April 2000

If you look at some of the other films I like, you'll see I like convoluted ones. This is a terrific example. Thrilling, smart, classy, and chalked full with detail, this movie has got it all and more. The music in itself is great, and the flashbacks are incredibly creepy. Michael Douglas, Sean Penn, Armin Mueller-Stahl, Deborah Unger, James Rebhorn, and Peter Donat all give great performances.

Players Wanted.

INCREDIBLE. SEE THIS MOVIE AT ALL COSTS.

Author: (lakeofire81@hotmail.com) from Tallahassee, Florida
9 April 2000

I finally got around to seeing this amazing film last night. The Game stars Michael Douglas as very uptight businessman who receives a unique birthday present from his brother, played by Sean Pean. The present is kind of an enrolment into a "game," sponsored by a very large, mysterious company called Consumer Recreation Services. Douglas has no idea what he is getting himself into. The utter treachery of this "game" is completely unanticipated; Douglas' bank accounts are drained and his life is threatened, which are only two of the many things that go wrong in his life. Throughout the film, I asked myself one question: Is CRS completely responsible for Douglas' bad luck, or is he only paranoid? Douglas is perfect for playing the part of a man desperately clinging to sanity in a world turned upsidedown. The film is great as it is before the final development (which is very unexpected), after which it is amazing. The Game is now one of my favorite films. Watching The Game, I was reminded of The Truman Show. In both films, one man fights to preserve his humanity in a world that oppresses freedom and truth.

Great thriller

Author: eeyored from US
4 April 2000

Alright this seems to be a hit or miss with a lot of people. Most people who dislike it credit that to it being unbelievable or predictable. Or that they felt nothing for Michael Douglas.

I disagree with these comments, probably because I fell for everything. I fell for everything cause I wanted to. It earned my respect from the opening scenes.

It just hit the mark with me from frame one. The footage of Nicholas as a boy with his father with that absolutely haunting music was a brilliant opener.

That music explains everything. The music and this little prologue add more depth to the movie than some movies have in their entire length.

Nobody but Michael Douglas could of pulled this off. He is perfectly cast as Nicholas. He brings so much subtlety to his role. Watch when he is driving in his car talking on his car phone. Watch how he figits and holds the wheel. It fits so perfectly with who is supposed to be.

The build up to the actual game is perfect. Nothing is too abrupt. But once it starts it snowballs into a train ride through hell and doesn't let up until it's fantastic and well suited ending. The plausibility of the logistics of the ending require the viewer to stretch but if you had come along the rest of the way this leap isn't hard to make.

A great movie. One of my favorites. The epitome and definition of a thriller. Suspense, dark tone, mystery. Solid slick movie. David Fincher doesn't disappoint.

Once again great score. Particularly the piano theme in the beginning. Absolutely haunting. The only other movie that used this type of emotionally charged beginning (where the tone is set up in mere seconds) I feel is Jacob's Ladder. Go see that too.

The Game definitely worth playing.

Author: rejoefrankel from Canada
16 February 2000

A fascinating, original absolutely pitch perfect thriller that is mysterious, suspenseful and rich in character. Michael Douglas stars as a successful business man celebrating his birthday. As a gift for "the man who has everything," his brother (Sean Penn) gives him a ticket to a corporation called Consumer Recreation Services (CRS). Reluctantly Douglas follows his curiousity to CRS and after filling out a lengthy questionaire, undergoing a rigurous medical examination and disclosing personal information about himself, he is told that his game will begin soon. Almost immediately afterwards strange things start happening. Things that seem so real that Douglas begins to question if people are actually trying to set him up, or if it is all just a game. His life is threatened multiple times, he meets a beautiful, mysterious woman with whom he becomes involved and the plot takes a series of roller coaster dives until it reaches it's shocking conclusion. Many people were unsatisfied with the ending of the film, possibly because there is no clear expectation generated by the midsection. But I feel that it is suitable and just. The Game is a thriller that thrills, and it doesn't sell out for cheap violence, sex, or explosions (although it has a little of all these things). It is a masterful film that demands multiple viewings, tautly directed and cleverly scripted. One of the best thrillers of the 90's!

A great suspense film

Author: mrincodi from Bogotá
19 January 2000

This is the suspense movie I have most liked. It keeps you stuck to the chair right up until it ends. The actors do a great job. But, befere you see it, don't let anyone tell you what is it about! You'll lose the entire movie!

Intense Movie that keeps your mind on its toes

Author: Ken Pittman (kgpittm@clemson.edu) from Knoxville, TN
14 January 2000

I watched this movie because it was recommended for people who liked Sixth Sense. Although it is not Sixth Sense in my mind, I still rated it a 10 because it was fabulous. It keeps you thinking the whole way through and has more twists that you can count... just how I like it. The acting could use a little improvement, but all around it is a great movie.

Why, why the end?

Author: Adam Heyes from United Kingdom
11 January 2000

This is a good film, trust me you will probably enjoy it. For the first hour it is fantastic, things change and twist and skew...love it. Problem is that the end is so ridiculous. Hitchcock kept something up his sleeve, but it was always believable and improved the film. This the final hour does not do this. Don't get me wrong, this is an above average film, it just could have been so much better. David Fincher fans go and have a blast, but be warned, it isn't a patch on Fight Club or Se7en. But it is good fun; it just tries to be too smart in the one twist too far finale. It'll keep you guessing though.

A challenging game played with our expectations

Author: Chronus from Portugal
24 December 1999

There is not much to be said about this strange and exciting picture. Although not a very original picture, the acting, together with good characterization and directing, makes The Game one of the most exciting moments in Cinema these days. Good plot, good twists and turns, a false finale, followed by sweet finale. Douglas is great (his usual self), Unger is average, Sean Penn is good, and the rest of the cast helps the story move along. It´s a form of thriller that touches the fringes of fantastic tales (such as the ones by Stephen King and Dean Koontz). A good movie, full of surprises, you get hooked to the characters and wait impatiently for the finale.

A game you must play

Author: danielll_rs from Belo Horizonte, Brazil
22 December 1999

Very few films have the power to manipulate the audience till the end as "The Game". It is one of the most inventive, unusual, weird and unpredictable films of the '90s. I just can't understand why it wasn't nominated as best original screenplay on the Oscar, because you don't see films like this one every day.

Once upon a time, there was a millionaire named Nicholas Van Orton. He had everything he wanted, except the company of people- friends, girlfriends, etc. On his 48th birthday, he met his brother in a restaurant and he was given a small gift- a free pass for the CRS. But what was the CRS- The Consumer Recreation Service? Well... He had never heard about it, so he decided to use his pass. After doing many exams in the CRS, some strange things started to happen. Everything started with a wooden clown in his garden, which had a key into its mouth. Then his television started to 'talk' to him. And after that he met a waitress named Christine in the most unusual situations. From this moment on, his life was never the same...

You can't, you just can't find out what comes next in "The Game". It kept my attention each second. While it is coming to the end, we think that we know everything, but we don't. The ending was just... Wow! Amazing! I could have never found out that. It was a huge twist, as I just saw in "The Sixth Sense". Some people may not be convinced by the final twist, but I didn't mind. After the film ended, I was just blown away. I couldn't think about another thing. It is not THE perfect movie, because there are some scenes that could have been deleted. But I gave it a 9 and I can't give it less than that. Even Michael Douglas surprised me with a very solid acting. And Deborah Kara Unger is just amazing in a great performance.

As I've already said, I don't know why "The Game" was not nominated in any category on the Oscar. It really impressed me. Everyone who praised this film was right. David Fincher proved once more that he is a genius. Everything I can say is: play this game...