IMDb > The Game (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Game

The Game More at IMDbPro »

Page 34 of 48: [Prev][29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [38] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [Next]

excellent all-around

Author: donjuanjeff from New York, NY
16 May 2000

"The Game" is one of the better thrillers I've seen in a long time. It really hits on all cylinders: very original idea, well-written script, excellent effects, strong acting. Douglas gives one of his best ever performances as the icy Nicholas Van Horton, a rich investment banker who is given a birthday present that changes his life.

Overall, a very solid movie with a superb ending that is sure to shock most viewers.

Great Movie

Author: newsteadadam from Keene, NH
29 April 2000

The Game is a great movie that never quits and its a good thing it doesn't because that just would have made the movie suck. I could not keep my eyes off the screen as soon as it started and the ending will leave you speechless. Rent it or buy it as long as you see it.

A Christmas Story

Author: flopplop from Austin, Texas
29 April 2000

Van Orton was Scrooged in this great movie. The cinematography was excellent in the flashback footage of the protagonist. The audience is taken on a suspension ride of disbelief (like Magritte's pipe).

Van Orton was the dynamic character in this movie because he went through a sort of catharsis. The sequence of events were definetly contrived and could cast doubts on it's realism. However, the ending is a must. (One member commented that it was just some deux es machina.)

BUT--it isn't because just like The Fight Club, Sixth Sense, the usual suspect and other movies before/after it, the entire movie hinges on an unexpected ending. That's what makes this a classic in my book (in lue of the run of the mill Christmas Story or Miracle on Corny Street).

Mind Boggling! A Must See.

Author: Brian-272 from Oakwood, Virginia USA
16 April 2000

The Game is the best thriller ever! I just want to mention that Michael Douglas has really hit the mark as an actor. Michael Douglas is one of Hollywood's best actors an all time great, his role in the Game his best ever performance puts him in a class of his own. The Game can best be described as a puzzler about a control freak billionaire (Michael Douglas) caught in a deadly swirl of cat and mouse when his younger disreputable brother (Sean Penn) gives him a gift certificate to participate in a mysterious game that invades his ordered existence. Douglas's role of Nicholas Van Orton has to win the deadly game or lose control of life. After Van Orton battles the mystery and ultimate terror challenge of "The Game", surprise all just a birthday gift. The object of any game is fear and surprise. The Game is a must see due to Michael Douglas's no nonsense acting and the thrilling mystery that boggles your mind, only to harmlessly surprise in the end. A must see, Michael Douglas at his best.

I'd be willing to bet vital parts of my anatomy on the fact that you won't guess the end of this movie until the end.

Author: Mr. Media (scully266@aol.com) from U.S. OF A.
11 April 2000

If you look at some of the other films I like, you'll see I like convoluted ones. This is a terrific example. Thrilling, smart, classy, and chalked full with detail, this movie has got it all and more. The music in itself is great, and the flashbacks are incredibly creepy. Michael Douglas, Sean Penn, Armin Mueller-Stahl, Deborah Unger, James Rebhorn, and Peter Donat all give great performances.

Players Wanted.

INCREDIBLE. SEE THIS MOVIE AT ALL COSTS.

Author: (lakeofire81@hotmail.com) from Tallahassee, Florida
9 April 2000

I finally got around to seeing this amazing film last night. The Game stars Michael Douglas as very uptight businessman who receives a unique birthday present from his brother, played by Sean Pean. The present is kind of an enrolment into a "game," sponsored by a very large, mysterious company called Consumer Recreation Services. Douglas has no idea what he is getting himself into. The utter treachery of this "game" is completely unanticipated; Douglas' bank accounts are drained and his life is threatened, which are only two of the many things that go wrong in his life. Throughout the film, I asked myself one question: Is CRS completely responsible for Douglas' bad luck, or is he only paranoid? Douglas is perfect for playing the part of a man desperately clinging to sanity in a world turned upsidedown. The film is great as it is before the final development (which is very unexpected), after which it is amazing. The Game is now one of my favorite films. Watching The Game, I was reminded of The Truman Show. In both films, one man fights to preserve his humanity in a world that oppresses freedom and truth.

Great thriller

Author: eeyored from US
4 April 2000

Alright this seems to be a hit or miss with a lot of people. Most people who dislike it credit that to it being unbelievable or predictable. Or that they felt nothing for Michael Douglas.

I disagree with these comments, probably because I fell for everything. I fell for everything cause I wanted to. It earned my respect from the opening scenes.

It just hit the mark with me from frame one. The footage of Nicholas as a boy with his father with that absolutely haunting music was a brilliant opener.

That music explains everything. The music and this little prologue add more depth to the movie than some movies have in their entire length.

Nobody but Michael Douglas could of pulled this off. He is perfectly cast as Nicholas. He brings so much subtlety to his role. Watch when he is driving in his car talking on his car phone. Watch how he figits and holds the wheel. It fits so perfectly with who is supposed to be.

The build up to the actual game is perfect. Nothing is too abrupt. But once it starts it snowballs into a train ride through hell and doesn't let up until it's fantastic and well suited ending. The plausibility of the logistics of the ending require the viewer to stretch but if you had come along the rest of the way this leap isn't hard to make.

A great movie. One of my favorites. The epitome and definition of a thriller. Suspense, dark tone, mystery. Solid slick movie. David Fincher doesn't disappoint.

Once again great score. Particularly the piano theme in the beginning. Absolutely haunting. The only other movie that used this type of emotionally charged beginning (where the tone is set up in mere seconds) I feel is Jacob's Ladder. Go see that too.

The Game definitely worth playing.

Author: rejoefrankel from Canada
16 February 2000

A fascinating, original absolutely pitch perfect thriller that is mysterious, suspenseful and rich in character. Michael Douglas stars as a successful business man celebrating his birthday. As a gift for "the man who has everything," his brother (Sean Penn) gives him a ticket to a corporation called Consumer Recreation Services (CRS). Reluctantly Douglas follows his curiousity to CRS and after filling out a lengthy questionaire, undergoing a rigurous medical examination and disclosing personal information about himself, he is told that his game will begin soon. Almost immediately afterwards strange things start happening. Things that seem so real that Douglas begins to question if people are actually trying to set him up, or if it is all just a game. His life is threatened multiple times, he meets a beautiful, mysterious woman with whom he becomes involved and the plot takes a series of roller coaster dives until it reaches it's shocking conclusion. Many people were unsatisfied with the ending of the film, possibly because there is no clear expectation generated by the midsection. But I feel that it is suitable and just. The Game is a thriller that thrills, and it doesn't sell out for cheap violence, sex, or explosions (although it has a little of all these things). It is a masterful film that demands multiple viewings, tautly directed and cleverly scripted. One of the best thrillers of the 90's!

A great suspense film

Author: mrincodi from Bogotá
19 January 2000

This is the suspense movie I have most liked. It keeps you stuck to the chair right up until it ends. The actors do a great job. But, befere you see it, don't let anyone tell you what is it about! You'll lose the entire movie!

Intense Movie that keeps your mind on its toes

Author: Ken Pittman (kgpittm@clemson.edu) from Knoxville, TN
14 January 2000

I watched this movie because it was recommended for people who liked Sixth Sense. Although it is not Sixth Sense in my mind, I still rated it a 10 because it was fabulous. It keeps you thinking the whole way through and has more twists that you can count... just how I like it. The acting could use a little improvement, but all around it is a great movie.