IMDb > For Richer or Poorer (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Gentle amusing comedy

Author: corek from London, England
25 January 2001

This is a gentle and amusing comedy. It is the story of a (very) rich couple on the point of divorce forced to flee from the IRS. They end up in Amish country and ‘pretend' to be from another Amish community. The main comedy is from how they try to adapt to the new life, whilst keeping up the pretence of being Amish, and is quite remarkable in portraying the Amish way of life sympathetically. Even the Amish accent is a little more accurate than is normal in a comedy (having lived there myself). It is understandable why it was not a great hit in the Cinema, as it has no big blockbuster special effects, but for the TV it is just what is required when a good laugh is required – and the language is suitable for all (except for possibly an Amish viewer).

When Tim Allen and Kirstie Alley meet....

Author: Cosmique (mrsanta_is_dead)
6 April 2001

They are absolutely hilarious! I thought this movie was funny. The story wasn't bad either. It's a regular "Good" comedy movie. The CIAs were hilarious too. Well, the fashion show stuff was pretty dumb, but it seemed neccessary for the movie. If you like comedy movies, watch this flick. I don't think you'll hate it.

Lots of Fun

Author: wavylady from Eugene, Oregon
13 December 2002

This movie may not be Academy Award material, but I found it very entertaining. The performances by Kirstie Alley and Tim Allen are hilarious. There's also a "moral to the story." I've seen "For Richer or Poorer" several times and highly recommend it.

Excellent movie, especially to a Pennsylvanian

Author: buddha13 from United States
29 April 2005

I saw this movie originally in NYC (Times Square) after I couldn't get seats to the Broadway show I wanted to see. After watching this movie, I was glad I missed the play. I laughed so hard, I was afraid I was going to be asked to leave the theater. I am a resident of Pennsylvania and have spent lots of time in Amish country. Their life style makes me hunger for the simple life, the peace and tranquility of sensible living. I have watched this movie about 25 times and I still look forward to seeing it again. Some thought should be given to a sequel perhaps. In these times of turmoil and discontent, maybe this blue-print for the simpler life should be considered. Incidentally, I know that Maryland locations were used as Pennsylvania stand-ins, but that okay. The scenery was almost as beautiful as ours.

Amish reminder of all we needed to know we learned as a child

Author: hellokitty_girl from Los Angeles
26 February 2005

granted this is not high brow sophisticated comedy, but it was actually a really fun movie! Kirstie Alley was not her usual annoying self, and it was enjoyable to watch her character change due to the Amish influence. Tim Allen was more relaxed and less of a ham, so his character was fun to watch. the Newman mailman guy from the Seinfeld show always cracks me up. the Amish child was cute too.

the Amish were not disrespected, and this movie made me want to learn more about the Amish. just a quick and simple Google search for Amish brought up several good sites. perhaps this is the real success of this movie - that viewers hear the message of simplicity and virtue in living one's life, then take the next step to learn more about the Amish culture and beliefs, and finally take to heart these life lessons we learned as a child.

I love this movie.

Author: anonymous from Burbank, California
26 March 1999

I don't know why, but I have loved this movie from the moment I first watched it. It isn't even that funny, there's just something really cute about it. It's very fun.

My 2nd favorite movie about Amish life!

Author: Dr.Lecter666 from Monroeville, PA
13 March 2001

This is a fine film about a pair of city folks trying to blend in with the Amish. Although my favorite movie about Amish life is Witness(1985) this movie does a good job showing you what life is like in Amish country. The plot was fine, the acting was great and funny, and the outline of the movie was creative. All in all: I give it a 10 out of 10, only because I love comedy movies.

An entertaining, feel-good movie

Author: headshot69 from Sydney, Australia
9 July 2001

I am not a lover of comedies, however this is one of those exceptions.

What can I say? The title says it all. Tim Allen is brilliant (as usual), and Kirstie Alley is great as his support. The movie does not knock the Amish people too much, and the movie ends with everyone living happily ever after - even 'Big John'.

I thought the deleted scenes/bloopers i the closing credits was a great idea too.

Funny movie

Author: chitowndale from Wheaton, IL
27 July 2006

This movie strikes me as the reverse of Tim Allen's Home Improvement. There, Tim's the over the top ham and his sidekick Al is the tempering force trying to contain him. Here, the Amish do the job and they are the greater force that really tone him down while still giving him plenty of opportunities to be funny. The theme of materialism getting into the way of relationships is needed in 2006 even more than in 1997 when this movie was released. It would be well for everyone to re-watch it now to realize that materialism has gotten totally out of control in today's world. Another thing that makes this movie enjoyable is that it isn't frantic like most comedies are. Too many try to emulate the Marx Brothers. In the frantic lives we do lead today to sustain our materialism, it is nice to have something slower paced yet still not bore you to death.

Lighten up Folks its HUMOR not ROFL

Author: flash-108 from Texas
26 November 2003

This is a nice fun movie that I really enjoyed. OK, its not great art, but it serves very well as entertainment. I thought it was not insulting to Amish or their way of life, it was very amusing to see how caught up we sometimes allow ourselves to get in things that in the long run don't really matter. I like how the characters interacted with one another. This is light humor with a little depth, its not slapstick. If you enjoy being amused, without having to "LAUGH OUT LOUD", you will probably enjoy this film.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]