IMDb > Fakin' Da Funk (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Very Interesting

Author: Tiffany Yelder (tyelder@ccdbbs.com) from Anderson SC USA
30 December 1999

I had never heard of this movie until I saw it this afternoon. I was channel surfing and managed to luck up on it when it was starting. I watched five minutes and was hooked until the end of the closing credits. I thought the movie was really good, and it explored a racial tension line that I had never thought to explore before. It was an interesting and tastefully done. I liked it

Cult Classic

Author: volleyballpep from United States
21 June 2005

This film I remember was one of the highest-rated movies on cable ever and I know why - it's one of the most original, heart-felt comedies since 'Groundhog Day'. Truly loved the film and some of the endearing scenes.

Some of the best scenes involve actor John Witherspoon ('Friday'), Pam Grier, and Duane Martin (who with comedian Margaret Cho) really draw the laughs. But what I really like is the film doesn't descend into SNL humor - which is always tasteless, but maintains the Harold Ramis quality of humanity.

I'm not sure when it was released theatrically, but it should have been the next 'Rush Hour' without doubt.

Great film!

Author: andy7777 from seattle, wa
8 August 1999

I thought the film was really excellent. Miss Pam Grier is one beautiful woman. Never heard of this film until I saw it on TV last night.

It had a great cast and John Witherspoon cracked me up! Is this out on video?

asian/black culture in america

Author: (denniskim15) from springfield, VA
2 January 2001

i happened upon this movie while channel surfing and was hooked. it explored the meaning of being "black" or "asian" culturally, and portrayed the issue; not so much as a matter of race, but rather how one identifies with a culture. julian lee is far more "black" than his love interest (tatiana ali) in the movie, who happens to be of african descent. i think this highlights an important distinction, because in america, people so quickly classify and pre-judge people based on their skin tone or facial features. i think, while the movie could have been less corny, it takes a good, light-hearted view of common stereotypes surrounding african and asian americans, and concludes with the somewhat unoriginal, yet still significant motto of "keep it real."

Twist

Author: Gino-10 from Virginia Beach, Virginia
9 August 1999

It's a nice little film with a twist on culture clash. Julian Lee, an Asian raised by African-Americans, happens to be more black than his African American girlfriend from the suburbs. May, a Chinese exchange student, learns that African Americans are not what they appear to be in the movies. Interesting fare.

Definitely worth seeing again.

Author: purposedriven2002 from United States
23 March 2007

I very much enjoyed this film when it aired repeatedly on USA Networks. The film elevated the 90's comedies to a new standard, especially in integrating cross-cultures before its time. The funny thing is now many colleges and universities have 'Fakin' Da Funk' as a required watching in their multi-cultural classes, thus proving the film has steady legs even 10 years later.

The entire cast was exceptional and you could see they had a blast filming the movie. Duane Martin was wonderful as the antagonizer and Pam Grier was amazing as the mother to the Asian kid. Also John Witherspoon was truly hilarious as the unsuspecting neighbor having to now host an exchange student from China.

Phenomenal story, well-written, and very well made.

Overall, 9/10.

Why is this film so unappreciated?

Author: moviefan891017 from United States
21 April 2007

One thing I will never understand about the film world is why the best comedies are never appreciated. This film ceases to have a dull moment and this largely can be credited to the writers who have a great visual style of comedy.

Fakin' Da Funk is one of my favorite movies. There's at least one joke a minute. A lot of it is John Witherspoon's dry humor though so if you don't like that, this movie isn't for you. However, many jokes are very clever with perfect timing. This is one of the most original comedies to be made in the past 10 years.

Director Tim Chey clearly deserves a lot of credit for giving these two the freedom to basically just do their acts

9 out of 10.

An Underrated Cinematic Gem

Author: chriswalker4578 from United States
9 June 2007

Probably one of the best indies I've seen in a long time.

The film is a two-story structured screwball comedy that is so cleverly executed, it's hard to believe this film went unnoticed until it came to USA Networks in 2000. From what I understand it was the highest watched film on the network in that year.

The performances are solid. Particular standout performances include Pam Grier as the doting mother; John Witherspoon, of course, as the cynical neighbor, and Duane Martin as the jaded ball player with a past.

I was particularly struck at how the film grabs you from the beginning and holds on to you until the end.

Not many films, except Groundhog Day and other classics, can boast this.

Unexpectedly Brilliant Performances from Entire Cast WOW!

Author: Georgi Sima from NYC
13 February 2012

I expected to either suffer or coast through this movie.

I was wrong.

This is the best film I've seen period. It's the first Asian-Black film and that says a lot.

The entire cast shines, including Ms. Pam Grier, Margaret Cho, and Tatiana Ali This is an engaging story told in a classic cinematic style. The realism is in the nuances - the tilt of a character's head after a dramatic moment or the look in their eyes while they sing. I literally discovered myself involved in this movie during the course of viewing it.

This movie has inspired me to be a better person. In life you don't know who you will run across and sometimes our prejudice will cause us to prejudge a person wrongly. I have learned to give a person the benefit of the doubt because of this movie. I also learned that tough love can build a stronger person. Now I want to know where to find the movie soundtrack.

Top-notch, brilliantly crafted entertainment, rich with fascinating details, memorable incidents and engaging performances,

Author: Jeffrey Taylor from Canada
11 February 2012

What a terrific piece of film-making! 'Fakin' Da Funk,' though it is a very entertaining film, for all the bravura performances, the characters show us what makes them tick.

I kept saying, 'Wow' over and over again.

This is particularly true of Julian, whose motives remain obscure throughout most of the film. Oh well. 'Suing the Devil' is intended primarily as a lark, I imagine, and on that level it is generally successful.

This latest film certainly does not rank up there in the Tim Chey pantheon. It is, in fact, a minor work by a major filmmaker, who is merely marking time, perhaps, till his next true masterwork. It's Chey in a relaxed, kick back, sunny mood, not as great as when he is really pumping away hard, but good enough for the time being.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]