IMDb > The Edge (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 19:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Terrific Action Adventure

Author: claudonio from california
9 February 2000

"The Edge" is a terrific movie, not just as an action movie but as whole. I went to see this film because I thought it looked interesting, my expectations were shattered, this is a well written, well acted, well directed thriller. Anthony Hopkins as always turns in a great performance but the big suprise is Alec Baldwin who did just as well. This film has some of the best dialogue ever written for a movie of this type, and the action scenes are clever and blazingly paced. This is a terrific movie.

In A Word: Intense

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
9 March 2006

Boy, here's an intense film, a survival-in-the-wilderness adventure/thriller starring the unlikely duo of Anthony Hopkins and Alec Baldwin. It's not hard to guess who's the villain, in addition to a man-eating bear who stalks the two of them after their plane crashes in the woods of Alaska.

The sophistication of Hopkins, playing an extremely smart man, battling the crude Baldwin, who is insanely jealous of Hopkins' possessions, including his gorgeous wife (Elle McPherson), is intriguing to watch. So is the great scenery and best-of-all, a great action story that has you focused intently for the full two hours.

A human characteristic so often ignored in films the past half century is put on display here: compassionate forgiveness. Seeing forgiveness demonstrated instead of revenge is almost shocking to see. Kudos to the filmmakers, too, for not going overboard on the brutality in this adventure.

one of the best of 1997

Author: Willie-12 from United States
2 March 1999

The Edge is a powerful motion picture that satisfies in every way. First of all, it delivers as an action/adventure film (which is what it is) by giving the audience some heart stopping sequences, and it never slows down. The Edge also delivers as a dramatic film, with an ending that is painfully sad, yet satisfying. This is one fine movie, and the performances by Hopkins (one of my favorite actors today) and Baldwin are superb. They portray their characters with an honesty, and with a realistic nature that only great actors can accomplish. As the plot twists and the pace picks up, you start to become so involved that you forget time is passing by. I strongly suggest this one to action lovers and to anyone who enjoys a good story.

Are men more than animals?

Author: mpj201 from United States
2 September 2005

The Edge reminded me of the old Kipling quote, that to be a superior man means to keep your head when everyone around you is loosing theirs!Its is my favorite survival film, & one of the best of Baldwin & Hopkin's careers. In addition to a great cast (check out Michael from LOST!), interesting characters & great action, the film asks many questions of the audience - Why do some succeed where others fail? How do we look at success - when we see it in others, do we feel envy or admiration? I think that the central message of the film is that in order to prevail in any difficult endeavor, people must rise above their "lower", "animal" instincts like fear & selfishness, and embrace "higher" qualities like self-control, intellect, compassion, & sacrifice.

Thumbs Up for "The Edge"

Author: Gerald Talandis Jr. (talandis@rocketmail.com) from Toyama, Japan
8 December 1998

Anthony Hopkins is one of my favorite actors, so I had to see this film. Sure enough, I wasn't disappointed. Although the film got mixed reviews (and I could understand why, in a way), I was able to enjoy the experience of watching it. The cinematography was stunning. For that alone I recommend this film. The set-up was good, and the tension between the two main characters kept things lively.

Most of all, however, I love this type of story- out in the elements, man vs. nature, survival, etc. I like seeing what happens when people are put in a situation where they discover the value of life. By slaying the bear (symbolic of one's greatest fears in life), the Hopkins character found his true heart. I was moved by the transformation he underwent, and the compassion he showed to those who had it in for him. I identified with this; I hoped that I could be as magnanamous. I also thought about what the "bear" was in my life, and if I would have the courage to face it and do battle.

A Morality Play in an Immoral Age

Author: msinabottle from Denver, Colorado
24 October 2001

A very strong performance by Anthony Hopkins, Bart the Bear, and Alec Baldwin, in that order, in a film that deals with the important subjects of virtue, wisdom, and morality. I can understand why some of the modern audience might find that to be a turn-off. The sets and locations alone are worth a rental, especially of the DVD, the haunting Goldsmith score lingers in the memory and enhances the viewer's pleasure in the film. What a joy it is to see a film that is tautly and expertly written, that tells the salient details of the plot but leaves you guessing--through repeated viewings--of the whys, wheres and whens of the development. If you favor serious drama--if you relish philosophy--if you don't need a film spoon fed to you or so puerile that they try to stun you with explosions--you will enjoy The Edge. My choice of a collegiate vocabulary in this review is deliberate.

One Word Awesome!!

Author: avatar51 from Ontario, Canada
20 January 2002

This has got to be one of the best films i have seen it defeantly rates in the top 20 on my list, beautiful scenes, very original idea, great acting, and edge of your seat excitement. I have seen this film about 5-6 times and i have not got bored of it. anyone who has not seen this must head down and grab this movie!.

A real sharp edge

Author: (herlenwein@aol.com) from United States
22 December 2005

A truly superb film. A story of survival. Not of the fittest but of the most dedicated and resourceful. Essentially a two character interplay, Anthony Hopkins and Alec Baldwin are perfectly cast with intense portrayals of their characters. The supporting cast is minimal but makes for a tasty side dish with Harold Perrineau, Elle Macpherson, and veteran actor L.Q. Jones as a venerable weathered sly fox. Written by David Mamet, whose magnificent style is evident throughout, and directed by Lee Tamahori the film delivers a unique array of action, dialogue. and symbolism. Added also is a magnifcent and haunting score by Jerry Goldsmith. Tribute must also be given to Bart the bear, his trainer. and the Animatronic bear which provided some terrific action sequences. A shame this film did not garner any awards. Recommended highly.

Reasonably good, exciting survival thriller.

Author: Jonathon Dabell (barnaby.rudge@hotmail.co.uk) from Todmorden, England
13 February 2003

The Edge is not interesting just because it's a well made survival thriller. The behind the scenes events on the film are pretty interesting too, especially the fact that it was filmed in such difficult conditions that star Hopkins developed life threatening pneumonia midway through the production.

The story tells of a shy but intelligent billionaire (Hopkins) who is married to a stunning model (MacPherson). Unbeknown to him, his wife is unhappy in their relationship and has been having her wicked way with a photographer (Baldwin). All three of them, plus a whole lot more, find themselves in the wilds of Alaska for a photograph shoot, but things go horribly wrong when a plane carrying Hopkins and Baldwin crashes in the middle of the wilderness. They must use every bit of practical skill and common sense they possess to survive until they can be found, and to make matters even worse they become the prey of a roaming grizzly bear.

Some of the man .vs. bear scenes are the most terrifying scenes of people tackling dangerous animals ever put on film. The increasingly strained relationship between Hopkins and Baldwin, as each reveals more of their secrets to the other, is very well played and creates some genuinely tense moments. The backdrop of Alaskan wilderness is pleasing to the eye throughout the whole film. There's nothing really wrong with The Edge at all: it's a well made, interestingly told and often exciting survival thriller. The only drawbacks it has are minor, such as MacPherson's inexpressive performance and a few boring stock characters in the small roles. Well worth watching.

Misunderstood Masterpiece

Author: Charles Krah (filmmakerck17@aol.com) from United States
24 June 2005

It's exceedingly easy to see how some people might not like this film. The most frequent reason in my opinion is that some just don't 'get it'. While busy focusing on pointing out rather trivial and nit-picky things, they are so far off the central point and weight of what the film is truly offering that the most rewarding aspects are lost on them.

Firstly, a very interesting and off center look into survival in the wilderness. Unconventional in the way that any alternate -in what I would consider "Hollywood"- version of this film would feature mostly everything taking place in that exotic cabin where this menacing digital bear(s) cuts the power and kills people off one by one because they left food out. Instead we are taken deep into the wilderness for real, with no comfort or near-by home base to return to. Decisions made don't feel forced, they feel natural and logical. At no point was I compelled to yell obscenities at the screen protesting character stupidity(leg cut excluded). Much of the Bear chase presented immediate solutions, with no choice to the point where the most illogical choice -to actually make a stand and kill this bear- becomes the ONLY choice, for all other options have expired.

Secondly, upon close inspection of the performances, the acting is spot on. I'd call the performances far from "wooden"! I think they were heart-felt, high-energy, and consistent. Of course, if you aren't paying attention, certainly it would seem as though Alec Baldwin's character, Bob, shifts toward the end as he 'turns' on Anthony Hopkins' character, Charles, with his attempt to kill him. However, it doesn't take much more than an above 8th grade level of comprehension to get that Bob has been cynically plotting to kill Charles far before the film even begins. That scene in the cabin was simply his chance to finally unburden his feelings toward the situation and justify what he was about to do(made final by the "For All The Nights" discovery). Upon watching the film a second time through, it's evident that Bob was able to suppress the impending deed (which in my opinion was something he thought he HAD to do in the end) for the more imminent task of survival, and even taking those feelings and burying them for the time being.

There is also an interesting element of male bonding in the face of adversity-not overcoming the vices and evils that cement Bob to his ultimate deed. Also impressive was the extensive knowledge, yet honest innocence of Charles being something of a recluse from conventional thinking. To the end giving Bob the benefit of the doubt as a man worth preserving; such a sad tale of a very lonely, rich man(never feel sorry for a man that owns a plane); indeed two men who through this experience could have been friends if not for the complexity of their 'other' lives back in civilization. That said, Bob's reasoning was justified to Bob and I could understand his position and motives.

Bobs confrontation of Charles in the clearing tells a very deep rooted stereotype he has for the wealthy class, not really getting that Charles was at the very least an exception to that rule if not a shining example of what was the better human being. In any case Bob felt as though he was entitled to Mickey more-so than Charles, even implying that Mickey and he would be together if not for Charles' wealth. This hatred remained too deep to ignore even after their experience.

And I'm sorry, but to see that fundamental stand-up and confidence chant (what one man can do another can do) despite lingering fear in Bobs face gets me saying "hell yeah" each and every time. One of the party having already suffered death and devouring by this behemoth, the fight was believable as rational thought ended up being the key. Horribly outmatched, they owed a lot to courage and luck. In my opinion the film became sobering upon the death of their friend by the bear, and I always breath a sigh of relief watching that bear laying there dead, the two exhausted men leaning against it, out of breath, as we swallow what we just went through.

Thus, survival at that point was over and resolved in my opinion. These men could survive in the wilderness having passed what I thought to be an ultimate test. I also believe that, after the bear slaying, more time had elapsed than a lot of reviewers give credit for. The fact that they made clothing, food, and other things out of the bear to me marked the passage of a good deal of time.

What I also saw was a very natural and gradual unraveling of their character as the experience wore on them, until the core of things finally prevailed in the end. And it wasn't the deceit or even the cheating. It was in the end about two men, one dying (justly) yet somehow I felt sad to see him go. Because on what turned out to be his death bed, he offered Mickey's innocence in this business of doing Charles in. An act of virtue from a character who had previously only acted in his own interest got to me. Plus Charles' bond to him was enough to put me on his side and root for this attempted murderer to live.

In my opinion the depth, scope, and insight into darker aspects of the human condition go largely unnoticed in this film, for people go in expecting bears, Baldwin, and Hollywood and usually only see what they expect to see. No more, no less. I feel that this film was nicely filled out, packed with little things I loved and fundamental things that moved and entertained me. I hate to see relatively high-brow stuff being overlooked and passed off as low-brow, but I suppose The Edge remains a sleeper.

Page 1 of 19:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]