Cop Land (1997) Poster

(1997)

Finally, a role that shows Stallone's true talent
Predator-1128 May 2001
Many people see Silvester Stallone as just another action movie hero who can't do anything but that. However, unlike other action movie stars, (Schwarzenegger, Van Damme, Seigal etc..) Stallone made his breakthrough with a movie that wasn't really an action movie at heart. He gave forth an excellent performance in Rocky and set a standard for himself that just seemed to fall and fall as his career progressed. He starred in cheesy action movie role after cheesy action movie role until finally people began associating him with nothing but that. Now finally, over twenty years after Rocky, Stallone comes back and shows people that he can be more than an action hero if he wants to. Stallone's performance in Cop Land shows vulnerability, anger, admiration, fear and many other emotions that were rarely present in any of his movie except Rocky. I'm sorry to say that I was one of the many people who took Cop Land for granted when it came to theaters simply because I didn't believe Stallone could do anything but cheesy action movies. Today, I finally rented it out of pure curiosity and was shocked at how far I was from the truth.

Cop Land is a very well made film about a small town that corrupt New York City cops have made their haven. Stallone plays the sheriff of the town, Freddy Heflin, who wanted to be NYPD but couldn't due to a hearing disorder. When Murray 'Superboy' Babitch (Michael Rapaport) shoots and kills two drugged up teenagers when he mistakes a steering wheel club for a gun in a high speed chase, his friends come in to help him. But their far-fetched plan starts to come down on them when Moe Tilden (Robert De Niro) from Internal Affairs begins investigating Superboy's alleged suicide. Things begin to go seriously wrong from here and Freddy is caught right in the middle. I thought that Stallone would have been upstaged by all his great co-stars like Harvey Keitel, Ray Liotta and Robert De Niro, but I was wrong. Stallone comes out perfectly as an aging cop with smashed dreams faced with a moral dilemma he doesn't know how to solve. In many ways he idolizes these big time New York cops but he knows that many of the things they do are wrong. In many ways Stallone's performance is far superior to that of his co-stars as he exhibits more depth and character development than any of them.

Cop Land is a somewhat unknown gem that many people overlooked for the wrong reasons. If you have any interest in the genre I would highly recommend it. Cop Land is probably the second best police murder/crime drama I've seen, only behind L.A. Confidential. At times the story has something to be desired and unlike L.A. Confidential is drags in some parts but the fantastic performances by every cast member more than make up for these minor flaws. I give Cop Land 8 stars out of 10.
66 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Stallone's Finest performance
CharltonBoy7 December 2001
Copland is one of those film that gets better and better the more you watch it. The story is gripping and the acting in straight from the top drawer and top of the performances is from Sylvester Stallone. Not normally known for his acting ability, Stallone pulls out his finest performance .To say he is the best in this film is a massive compliment considering the company he performed with in Copland. Robert De niro , Harvey Keitel and Ray Liotta all put in memorable displays , of which you would expect but Stallone still stands out. He plays the sheriff of a sleapy town called Garrison who's occupants are all members of the New York police Department.Because of an accident while saving someones life he is unable to pass the medical to get in the NYPD therefore as a sheriff he is not respected amongst the population of the town.He learns that an influential group of cops are crooked and are planning to kill to save their own necks. Totally Gripping. 8 out of 10.
109 out of 117 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A better film than many reviewers originally thought
Jerry Baustian27 November 1999
I saw this file when it first came out and enjoyed it on a fairly superficial level. Now, after I've seen it again, I think it is a much better film. Not quite great, but excellent on many levels. Another reviewer has commented that Stallone's character is like in the first Rocky film, before all the Rambo BS. I agree. I think this is a showcase for great actors in an above-average script, with excellent directing. This is not a Stallone film, other actors could play this part, but he plays it to a T. Keitel is fantastic, as usual, De Niro and Liotta are okay. The subplot between Stallone and Sciorra, Freddy who once saved Liz from drowning when he was a kid, but he lost his hearing in one ear as a result and could never join the NYPD -- that's a powerful subplot that could have been more fully explored, but only at the expense of the main plot. All in all, a much better film than reviewers thought when it first came out, IMO.
85 out of 92 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
My God! Stallone can act!
fiozinho5 January 2000
Sylvester Stallone is excellent in this slow-moving, absorbing film about cops on the take. Sly goes through what must be one of the longest slow-burns in movie history as the dumb, passive sheriff who only has his job thanks to the grace of crooked cop Harvey Keitel and protects him and his gang because of it. When it finally dawns on him, as it was inevitable it would, that he's been played for a fool, the results are explosive. It's well written, with a strong storyline, great dialogue and excellent performances all round (especially from Robert de Niro, Keitel and Ray Liotta). But it stands or falls on Stallone's portrayal of the central character, and he rises surprisingly majestically to the occasion. A very restrained, sensitive performance in a cracking good film.
123 out of 135 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Stallone's comeback not for the ignorants
Tasos Tz.20 April 2001
I know that everyboby's laughing about a movie that Stallone's starring in. His name is an easy target even to the most ignorant ones; they immediately put him under the 'action movie' label, like Arnold or Jean-Claude. What people forget (or don't know) about is that Stallone differs from all those action movie actors, in that he turned into this icon we all know by making a series of (really) bad choices. Do you know that Sly's the one who wrote the script of the Oscar winning Rocky? Do you know that because his face is half paralyzed (from birth) he speaks in that weird way that some people find difficult to understand what he's saying (and always joke about it)? Do you know that he was paid only $60.000 for his acting in Cop Land, while he had to gain 30 pounds for his role?

To me Cop land is the kind of movie Stallone should have made after First Blood. The director knows what Sly's really capable of so he gives him this role of the cop that is so fair and just, but inside him a burning past lives on. He's a hero and because of that he's lost half of his hearing to save the woman he loves, but she went on to marry another man. He can't be promoted because of his hearing, and while he wants to stay integral, he has to face the deeds of his fellow police officers.

The movie showcases the struggle of a man to overcome his past, the temptation of corruption and the triumph of one's will to remain true to what he believes in. The final sequence is similar to the one's of The Unforgiven or Taxi Driver and it provides a hymn to the human spirit. Stallone's perfomance is unforgettable and he should be nominated for an academy award. Do you think that it's an accident that his performance overshadows De Niro's and Keitel's appearences?

I believe that if Stallone did a movie like that right after his first 2 triumphs he could be leading a career similar to the one of De Niro's. But unfortunately, to all of us Sly's only capable of throwing hand grenades. Right Leonard Maltin?
224 out of 254 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
not a bad turn for Stallone
rdoyle2911 September 2003
Mangold's second film, the corruption drama "Cop Land" stars Sylvester Stallone as Freddy Heflin, the much-denigrated sheriff of tiny Garrison, New Jersey, a community which - thanks to a technicality - is populated almost entirely by members of the New York City Police Department.

When young cop Murray "Superboy" Babitch (Michael Rapaport) becomes embroiled in a controversial shootout which leaves two black youths dead, he apparently commits suicide rather than face the wrath of an official investigation. In reality, however, he flees to safety back home in Garrison. In the wake of the controversial events, NYPD Internal Affairs lieutenant Moe Tilden (Robert DeNiro) arrives in Garrison to uncover the truth. He attempts to enlist Freddy to watch the watchmen, including Superboy's uncle, veteran cop Ray Donlan (Harvey Keitel); coked-out Gary Figgis (Ray Liotta); and Joey Randone (Peter Berg), the husband of the woman (Annabella Sciorra) Freddy loved and lost. A rich, complex film about redemption, "Cop Land"'s portrayal of Freddy's struggles to prove his worth mirrors Stallone's own return to thoughtful, character-driven drama after years of vacuous action roles. Like Freddy, he faces an uphill battle, fighting for respectability in the face of a superb cast including Janeane Garofalo, Cathy Moriarty and Paul Calderon.
30 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Stallone Was Robbed!
sanosito28 June 2005
I just saw Cop Land for the first time this evening. I watched the "Exclusive Director's Cut" DVD.

This is one of the greatest films I have ever seen. Sylvester Stallone, who I've never thought was much of an actor, gives the performance of his career - a performance that deserved the Academy Award for Best Actor. Incredible. I owe the great Stallone a big apology for not seeing his gift of acting before now.

Everyone in this film, including Robert DeNiro, Harvey Keitel, Janeane Garofalo, and Ray Liotta, gave stellar performances as well. I guess paying all the actors just scale brought the best out of everyone. Why this modern day "High Noon" doesn't have a higher rating from the IMDb voters like me is way beyond my comprehension. Cop Land deserves, at least, inclusion in the Top 250 films. Perhaps this cut that I just saw is much better than the original theatrical release.
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I gave you a chance to be a cop and you blew it.
Spikeopath15 August 2010
Cop Land is written and directed by James Mangold with an ensemble cast featuring Sylvester Stallone, Harvey Keitel, Ray Liotta, Robert De Niro, Robert Patrick, Peter Berg, and Michael Rapaport. Distributed by Miramax Films it features a musical score by Howard Shore.

Freddy Heflin (Stallone) is the sheriff of Garrison, New Jersey. A small satellite town across the river from the Big Apple where many of the big city cops reside. Freddy always wanted to be a big city cop but due to partial deafness was unable to make the grade. But when a hero white cop shoots dead two black youths it sets off a series of events that make Freddy realise that the big city cops in Garrison aren't as honest as he is. Thus Freddy must decide if he should get involved.

It was heralded as the film to break Stallone on to the A list of serious actors, and the film where a fine ensemble had gathered and worked for a basic scale wage-such was their faith in the material. Yet in spite of making a considerable profit at the box office and receiving generally favourable reviews, Cop Land seemed to vanish without trace before it could make its mark in the cop/drama genre. A lot of that can probably be put down to the sheer weight of expectation, considering the cast involved, for something out of the top draw. However, revisiting the film now, over ten years post its release, Mangold's movie shows itself to be the tight and intelligent picture it is.

From the off it's evident that there's very little good about the town of Garrison. The coppers drink and drive, cheat on their partners and the sheriff looks like an out of work, overweight slob. Mangold clearly is more about the bleak than the beautiful. As the narrative and characterisations move forward, a multitude of strands start to dangle on the screen-where it at first appears a bit too chocked-but ultimately unfolds with ease as the story progresses. Here's where Cop Land excels, it could so easily have just been another good cop/bad cop movie, one where the doofus partially afflicted guy saves the day. But Cop Land is more intimate in detail of its characters, intimacy that is boosted by a pretty flawless cast (notably Stallone & Liotta). There's healthy helpings of action and drama, but it's the dialogue driven confrontations that entertain the most; where we get the pleasure of watching acting heavyweights battle for supremacy.

With a slow burn sense of doom hanging over it from the off, Cop Land very much feels like a throwback to the adult westerns and film noirs from the 1950s. There's nothing wrong with that of course, in fact it's a compliment. But this deserves its own little niche, that of the contemporary crime thriller with urban western overtones. A damn fine film with a great thoughtful script, that is acted accordingly and directed without flab and pointless filler. 8/10
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Better than the other ones...
Guardia7 January 2005
This movie was always going to be interesting because it involves so many sides to the one story. There is an excellent balance established between all the factions involved in the case of a missing/dead police officer.

The characters for this sort of movie are very original, and their flaws are revealed just as much, if not more so than their strengths. This has to be Sylvester Stallone's career highlight, and goes to show that his talents are not necessarily best for action movies. And De Niro's understated but excellently played "Moe Tilden" leaves you wishing he was featured more. The scenes between these two characters are worth the viewing alone. Harvey Keitel as well, plays an excellent cop/quasi-crime boss.

It's a little soppy at times but overall a stand-out in it's genre.
38 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the greatest movies ever made w/ one of the best casts ever assembled
kingbishop14 September 2005
Seldom does a cast, story, and location come together so well as it does in this film. Sylvester Stallone plays a meek and mild sheriff whose small town, located across the GWB from NYC, is primarily populated by NYPD cops who took advantage of an administrative manipulation in order to live outside the city limits. In order to do this, they opened their precinct up to the mob, enabling the mob to obtain drugs seized by the cops in return for low-interest loans to buy otherwise unaffordable housing in the serene town of Garrison, New Jersey. The ring leader of the corrupt cops is Ray Donlan, played w/ admirable frankness by Harvey Keitel, who was once a noble officer but now serves as the main conduit between NYC mobsters and the precinct he serves.

This film's message is a stunning encouragement to garner the courage to do what is right despite the risks involved. Robert DeNiro, in his best supporting performance as an Internal Affairs agent, is the catalyst that inspires Stallone's Sheriff Heflin, who has long admired NYPD but cannot join their ranks due to partial deafness, to take a good look around him and bring down his amoral benefactors before they end the life of a fellow officer. Ray Liotta is brilliant as a morally bankrupt undercover agent whose internal struggles between loyalty to his own interests and the memory of his dead partner (killed by a member of Donlan's network) keep him at bay until realization of his own demons enable him to risk all and aid Sheriff Heflin in his newfound quest.

This story unfolds against the backdrop of a modern-day dilemma faced by city cops - should they be forced to live in the crime-swamped cities they serve or should they be enabled to live elsewhere, for their own safety and the safety of their families? Also, this film admirably addresses the personal dilemma faced by public servants like Freddy Heflin - should Heflin, whose eternal dream to become a cop was granted to the furthest extent possible by Donlan's gift of a sheriff's position, sacrifice his own well-being by doing the right thing and turning on Donlan and co. or should he continue to quietly serve as a member of Donlan's nefarious network? Perhaps the best scene in the film is not even found in the original version but rather the Special Edition Director's Cut where Stallone and Keitel have a confrontation at the Four Aces (the local pub exclusively reserved for Garrison's NYPD pop.). Stallone exhibits his disgust and dismay at the true nature of Garrison and Keitel barks "Who the f*** do you think you are?" Stallone replies "The Sheriff of Garrison, New Jersey." The climax and finale exhibit not only the costs of sacrificing one's comfort for what is right but also the rewards.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Nice movie with great actors
HunterDK3 January 2002
I didn't really know what to expect from "Cop Land".

You have some expectations when actors like Sylvester Stallone, Robert De Niro and Harvey Keitel star in this movie - but could Stallone be the quiet Sheriff? The answer is yes, Stallone did well in this movie, he showed that he isn't just an action star, he is a great actor.

"Cop Land" had a nice story, but I think it had more potential. The movie could have lasted for 20-30 minutes more. It was a nice movie anyway, I will rate it 7/10.
41 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the most underrated of the 90's
panduh10 March 2002
I loved this movie when I first saw it in 1997 in the theaters, and I have recently bought the DVD. I still love this movie. This is definitely one of the most underrated movies of the 1990's. Stallone puts in a really understated and sympathetic yet still powerful performance as an out-of-shape, half-deaf sheriff of a sleepy New Jersey town populated almost entirely of corrupt NYPD cops. The cast is magnificent, with such powerhouses as Harvey Keitel, Robert DeNiro and Ray Liotta. Liotta, especially, is superb as a coked-out, morally ambiguous former right-hand man to Keitel who is trying to get out of this circle of corruption.

I realize that many people have found the shoot-out ending to be a tad distasteful, but I argue that it actually fits the movie quite well. Stallone's Heflin character is by no means a Sherlock Holmes. He is a simple man with a heart of gold caught in a very tough situation. He doesn't have the brains nor the resources to solve his problem with a brilliant plan -- but he's got balls, and most importantly he's got heart. His solution is direct, and unfortunately, dangerous. The fact that he is going to butt heads directly with the corrupt cops in his town is inevitable. Much like Billy Bob Thornton's character in the movie Sling Blade, we are expecting it. We are hoping for it.

Absolutely powerful and thrilling. I heartily recommend it to everyone who also enjoyed movies like Goodfellas, and Serpico, if just to catch the top-knotch performances by Stallone, DeNiro and Liotta.
14 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Well played, if unlikely thriller
bob the moo28 January 2002
Freddie Heflin is a sheriff in a New Jersey suburb mainly populated by NYPD cops seeking a break from the big city. Freddie lives in awe of the cops, unable to join due to deafness in one ear. However he is forced to confront Donlan and his colleagues when an IA officer Tilden begins to investigate the killing of two unarmed black men by, and subsequent suicide of Donlan's nephew Murray Babitch.

This `independent' thriller boast a deep cast and certainly had a lot to shout about in the run up to it's release. The problem is with the actual story that the film has to work with. The start is exciting with Babitch's killing of two black motorists but it is also quite stretched. Similarly the denouncement is exciting but is quite easy to see it coming. However the middle section is good, as it relies on the characters and the actors to develop the story - although there is probably too much history to squeeze into a short time.

Stallone proves that he can act, being excellent in a particularly unglamorous role, carrying extra weight for the part and looking like he took lessons from De Niro. The rest of the cast would find it hard to be bad - De Niro and Harvey Keitel rekindle their Scorsese partnership and both are good here. Liotta, Rapaport, Patrick and Sciorra are all excellent in smaller roles. Even small roles are played by heavyweights - Emmerich, Moriarty, Spencer, Vincent and Garofalo (who only seems to have 2 scenes!)

Overall the film benefits from a fantastic cast but needed a much stronger plot to justify the depth of the performances.
27 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Oh My God..He Jumped!
sol12185 May 2005
***SPOILERS*** Leaving the Scores nightclub after a bachelor party for a fellow three seven precinct cop young Murrary "Superboy" Babitch, Michael Rapaport, gets in his car and drives to the George Washington Bridge on his way home to Garrison NJ.

As Babitch enters the bridge he's side-swiped by a car with two coke-heads that almost up-ends him. Moving along side the out-of-control car one of the occupants pull out what looks like a shotgun, it turned out to be a steering wheel club. As Babitch hits the breaks the car speeds away only to get blasted by Babitch from behind killing the two in the getaway car.

As the police and ambulance crews come on the scene they find that the two who Babitch shot dead were unarmed and that he may well be not only thrown out of the NYPD but have to serve time for homicide which cause Babitch to get very emotional. Before you know it he jumps to his death off the bridge, or did he? His body was never found.

Speeding through the town of Garrison the next day NYPD policemen Ray Dolan & Jack Rucker, Harvey Keitel & Robert Patrick, are stooped by the towns Sheriff Freddy Heflin and his deputy Cindy Betts, Sylvester Stallone and Janeane Garofalo. After Deputy Betts is given a lecture by the two cop on how she should be out looking to arrest criminals not giving tickets to fellow cops Freddy lets them leave without being ticketed. As the car drives away Freddy notices that the "dead" Babitch is in the back seat and that he's very much alive.

Police corruption and murder is the main theme of "Cop Land" with a cover up of a cop's suicide that unearths all the dirt that was swept under the rug in Garrison and in the 37th precinct over the last ten years. Financing the three seven precinct's cops houses in Garrison with low or no interest loans and the forgiving and forgetting about paying them off had the entire precinct working for the mob. Thus allowing the mob to push drugs and launder the drug money within it's, the three seven precinct, jurisdiction.

Not believing that Babitch is dead Interanal Affair let. Moe Tilden, Robert De Niro, starts to put the heat on the cops who are sticking to the story of Babtich sudden demise. Tildon starts to make some headway in the case which makes Donlan & Co. very nervous. They realize that they have to provide a body for the police investigation of Babitch's death to close the case. That body was to be that of Babitch himself!

Top notch police drama with Sylvester Stallone giving the best performance of his career as the sad-sack Freddy Heflin. Freddy because of an ear injury couldn't make the grade as a real cop and always looked up to the men of the three seven as his hero's. That's until he found out that they were anything but. With Babitch on the run after Dolan & Co. tried to murder him Freddy finds him hiding in a water tower with Figgys(Ray Liotta), another cop from Garrison, providing him with food and water. Friggy's also has it in for Dolan and his fellow corrupt cops for the murder of his partner Glenn Tunney three years ago.

Tunney was about to talk to a grand jury about police corruption and was mysteriously found murdered in his prison cell before he could testify. Figgsy correctly suspected it was Dolan who had Tunney done in. Freddy realizing that he has to talk to let. Tliden about what he knows but is told that the investigation was shut down by the mayor due to the pressure of the NYPD union. Which was ironic since the fact that it was Dolan, and his fellow cops, attempt to murder Babtich that made Freddy see the light! In the end Freddy had the whole bunch of dirty cops gunned down in a wild shoot-out. Freddy pull it all off with the help of Figgsy, in a "High Noon" like shootout on the, up until then, quite streets and crime-free and peaceful Garrison NJ. It turned out that if the criminal cops just waited another day or so they would have gotten away Scott-free with no one, like Sheriff Freddy Heflin, being motivated to uncover their criminal actions.

The movie "Cop Land" was a bit uneven and some of the plot-lines just didn't tie all the loose ends in the film together. The acting, especially that of Sylvester Stallone, more then made up for that and that's what makes "Cop Land" one of the best movie about police corruption ever made.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Good & Bad Of 'Cop Land'
ccthemovieman-111 February 2007
This star-studded cast was more impressive than the story, which is probably one reason this film wasn't a big box-office success. The names might draw people into the theater but it just wasn't a good enough story to attract more fans.

Only small-town sheriff "Freddy Heflin" played by Sylvester Stallone, is a good guy while the others, all New York City cops, are shown to be crooked. You can overdo the bad-guy thing, too, which Hollywood does and then probably doesn't understand why the movie isn't appealing to the masses. With Harvey Keitel, Ray Liotta, Robert De Niro, Robert Patrick, Peter Berg, Michael Rapaport, Annabella Sciorra and others, this should have done better.

Having said all that, I go on record as saying I enjoyed the film, finding it intense in parts and it kept my interest. Could it and should it have been better? Yes. It's too hard-edged, profane and too sleazy. But if you like a tough crime film, here is one. I would watch it a second time.
29 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Star-Studded Cast Is Not The Best Thing About Cop Land.
powermandan24 January 2015
Sylvester Stallone, Harvey Keitel, Ray Liotta, Robert De Niro, Robert Patrick, Michael Rappaport, Noah Emmerich, Janeane Garofalo, John Spencer, Frank Vincent, and Peter Berg. Here are all of the well-known stars in the riveting thriller, Cop Land. If you don't know their names, you sure will know their faces. Movies with this many stars are bound to be good, and this follows that rule. But the many stars is just icing on the cake.

Many people dissed Cop Land for having too many subplots and the regular plot to be too complex. Tell me, isn't that what made LA Confidential so great? Isn't that why The Matrix was a sci-fi masterpiece? Wasn't that Hitchcock's favourite thing to do? Let me say: IT WAS! The general story is a half-deaf Sheriff in a New Jersey suburb named Freddy Heflin (Stallone), is always respected by his peers and residents of the town which mostly consist of NYC cops. When Officer Ray Donlan's (Keitel) nephew, Murray "Superboy" Babitch (Rappaport) kills ignorant speeders and commits suicide, Internal Affairs' Moe Tilden (De Niro) assigns Freddy to the case as everybody knows the suicide is a hoax. Freddy doesn't think much of it, until he discovers the truth about his friends and the whole town. Freddy wants to uphold the law, but is fairly warned by his loyal, and somewhat crooked friend, Gary (Liotta). I know that what my summarization is long, but it is no different than any movie I mentioned earlier in this review.

Cop Land is Sylvester Stallone's comeback performance. He never left, he just got on a string of dumb action movies and was losing touch in the later Rocky and Rambo movies. Before Cobra, everybody knew Stallone to be a great actor. The days of Paradise Alley, FIST, Rocky, and Lords of Flatbush proved that Stallone was destined to greatness. He did get popularity and lots of movies, but poor reception after becoming a sellout. Cop Land was to show the world that Stallone has not lost his touch in acting, and that he can still act like he did twenty years earlier. Of course Rocky is his best role and performance, but his role as Freddy Heflin in Cop Land is right behind it. Nobody could have played Freddy Heflin better. There's no wisecracks, or cheesy looks, or anything that Stallone usually has. He is a confused and determined cop whose life is in great danger. In fact, he was so good, he deserved an Oscar nomination. 1997 was a very competitive year for movies, but I'm saying that he deserved a nomination. A nomination for acting's greatest prize is almost as good as the actual win.
An avant grade role for Mr. Stallone
It is rare for people to step out of their comfort bubble. Even actors, for as successful as they are, they too suffer from breaking what they are comfortable at performing in. Here's a film that not every Stallone fan might see everyday - similarly to that of The Truman Show (1998) a year later with Jim Carrey. This particular role is so far in left field for Sylvester Stallone that it almost seems like the wrong choice. When in fact, it proves that Stallone by far can still back a punch even when he's not pulling a trigger every five minutes.

Stallone plays Freddy Heflin, the Sheriff of a small town in New Jersey called Garrison. All seems fine and well with the town and Freddy himself until an incident occurs on the George Washington bridge that connects the New York and New Jersey police departments. After the problems arise, Freddy is challenged on his thoughts and beliefs that he had never considered before. This is where things get interesting and dangerous simultaneously. As time goes on, Heflin begins to dig and as he digs, he discovers that everything is not as he thought.

The writing is something to behold here. Directed and written by James Mangold, the same man behind Walk the Line (2005), 3:10 to Yuma (2007) and most recently The Wolverine (2013), created a screenplay that not only defies the normal typecasts that most actors have, but also adds depth to the main character of Freddy Helfin. If it weren't for any of the background given to Stallone's character, the audience would have no idea about Heflin's past and why he acts the way he is in the movie. When it is revealed though, it's a heartfelt story that contains a lot of emotion. Even more interesting is how little Stallone uses a gun. Not only is Stallone overweight but he barely even raises his voice - which is rare. The character of Heflin is very self contained and covers it up well.

Also playing a role that is out his usual casting role is Ray Liotta. For anyone who's not familiar, Liotta frequently plays scumbags and creeps. A good example of this is from Unlawful Entry (1992) and a bad example is from Turbulence (1997). But what wasn't seen coming was Liotta playing not only a supporting character but also a tactical one. There is one scene where he explains to Stallone's character how he should take on convicted felons and the advice he gives is extremely noteworthy. Liotta, you should be doing this more often my friend. Along with him are Harvey Keitel, Robert De Niro, future director Peter Berg, Robert Patrick, Noah Emmerich from The Truman Show (1998) (how coincidental!), and just for laughs Mr. RoboCop 3 (1993) himself, Robert John Burke. All the actors, even the ones not mentioned do a fine job.

What also makes this movie a fish out of water role for Sylvester Stallone is how human the story makes him look. This isn't a movie where Stallone mows down villains with a rapid-fire gun without taking any hits. Stallone's character is flawed and limited, humanizing him for the entire running time. That's something serious. Adding to the realism of the story is the cinematography where most scenes take place in the suburbs or along the shore outside the city. Finally what helps complete this feeling is Howard Shore's score to the film. It isn't the strongest of film music but it does contain some very simple themes that help bring out the emotion of various scenes. Overall a very strong drama / thriller.

It's not your regular Stallone shoot 'em up and that's fine. The entire cast in the movie performs great. The music isn't complex but is well supported by a strong cast and character driven story.
Corrupt Cops, Cover-ups & A Sheriff's Remarkable Transition
seymourblack-122 February 2012
"Cop Land" is a tense story about corrupt cops, cover-ups and a small town sheriff who goes through a remarkable transition. With its all-star cast, some great performances and an intriguing plot, this movie's engaging right from the start but then becomes even more gripping as its characters are gradually introduced and begin to interact with each other.

The small town of Garrison, New Jersey, which is located just across the river from New York City, is popularly referred to "Cop Land" because it's populated mainly by NYPD officers who find its suburban tranquillity provides a pleasant contrast to the areas in which they work during the day. Garrison, however, is soon revealed to be more than just an idyllic retreat, as it's actually populated by corrupt cops who are routinely paid to operate in accordance with the requirements of important crime bosses who have also rewarded them by putting up the money for their houses.

Lieutenant Ray Donlan (Harvey Keitel) is the leader of Garrison's rogue cops and effectively runs the town. His nephew Murray "Superboy" Babitch (Michael Rapaport) is a young cop who gets involved in an incident which ends with him shooting and killing two black teenagers. When it becomes clear that the young men were unarmed and Murray starts panicking about what the repercussions might be, Ray assists by faking his nephew's suicide and this seems to defuse the situation.

A short time later, NYPD Internal Affairs investigator Lieutenant Moe Tilden (Robert De Niro) arrives in Garrison and tries to persuade local Sheriff Freddy Heflin (Sylvester Stallone) to help him by providing information about Ray's shady activities but Freddy declines out of loyalty to Ray and his associates. This effectively ends Tilden's investigation as Garrison is technically outside of his jurisdiction and also he's been pressured by some of Ray's connections in high places to drop his investigation unless he can provide some hard evidence to support his suspicions.

Garrison's Sheriff admires the cops who live in his town and regularly turns a blind eye to their wrongdoings. He's aware of Murray Babitch's presence in the town and remains unconcerned until it becomes evident that Ray's decided to have Murray killed. Ray considers this to be necessary because until his nephew's body is found, the police investigations are likely to continue and they, in turn, could jeopardise his whole business.

Freddy Heflin is a well meaning character who avoids conflict and is virtually powerless as he's controlled by Ray. He's rather timid, extremely overweight and given little respect by the men that he admires so much. He's also experienced many disappointments in the past. He's in love with Liz Randone (Annabella Sciorra) a woman who he saved from drowning some years ago. It was during this act of courage that he suffered an injury which left him deaf in one ear and this disability prevented him from achieving his ambition to become a cop in the big city.

Freddy goes to Tilden to tell him what he wanted to know about Ray and his sidekicks but Tilden is no longer interested. As he's leaving the building, Freddy sees some discarded documents relating to Tilden's investigation and soon learns more about Ray's involvement in a wide range of criminal activities. This motivates Freddy to take on Ray and his gang in what turns out to be an exciting shootout.

Sylvester Stallone's portrayal of Freddy is incredibly sensitive as he conveys so strongly the despair and sadness of a good natured man whose been left emotionally devastated by his past experiences. The transformation he goes through when he decides to take on Ray and his gang is terrific and made convincing by the sheer quality of Stallone's acting. The cast in this movie deliver top class performances all round, but Stallone, Harvey Keitel and Ray Liotta's contributions really stand out as being exceptionally powerful.
Intense and very underrated
thekyles9912 May 2010
Just picked this gem up for the Kyle collection. Every time i watch this flick it seems to get better and better. Awesome performances from the entire cast, even a very passive Stallone (something Im not used too) Stallone plays Sheriff Freddy Heflin, years ago he saved one of his town's people in an underwater car accident and injured his ear which pretty much kept him from enrolling within the N.Y.P.D. He did however become sheriff of a town named Garrison that was built for NYPD cops and their families with the sole intention of keeping them away from all the scum and bad guys where they work. Freddy is the perfect pick for Sheriff, he's quiet, not a mean bone in his body, and as the NYPD put it..As dumb as a rake...or is he??? I mean how hard could it be watching over a town of cops?No one in their right mind is going to start anything there.The problem is the cops themselves, taking deals with the mob, stashing incriminating evidence and when one of their own shoots up two black males passing through in a botched up pull over they have to pull the ultimate cover up...Maybe even taking out one or two of their own crew in the process??? This movie was bashed heavily by the critics (who as far as i am concerned don't know their butts from a hole in the ground!!) If you are a fan of cop dramas as I am, make sure you give this a look you wont be disappointed.
Great Film, Great Cast, Wrong Director
Rob19 August 2004
Copland was a treat of a film. The cast was the best we had seen in any Hollywood film in years and there was no reason that this film could go wrong and even though it was a brilliant film I somehow felt quite disappointed when the film credits started to roll.

I was looking forward to finally seeing Stallone show off his acting abilities as he has been very miss treated by the critics but looking at films like this and Rocky will just tell you that he can act. Then you got Harvey Keitel, Ray Liotta and Robert De Niro thrown into the mix, where can you go wrong, I would say James Mangold. His job wasn't that bad, but I think the film should been handed to a more experienced director. Scorsese or Michael Mann would have been the best choice to make this film as they both know how to get the emotions going and the characters flowing, but like I said this movie still impressed me in many many ways, one is Sylvester Stallone.

No one could have been Sheriff Freddy Heflin except for Sly. He brought so much to the character and never gived it up. Some say it was his comeback film, I would say it was the film where he had to prove a point about his acting and he sure did it with elegance and grace and I don't think I have ever come across somebody has never been moved or amazed by his performance. Freddy is the local sheriff who abides by the law but his dream is to be apart of the boys in blue but because of a disability where he is deaf in one ear he sadly cannot be a cop, only a local town sheriff, but it's not his town. Ray played by Keitel and his merry men run the town of Jersey. As they are all police officers no one questions there lives and motives towards their jobs, till Freddy starts to smell something fishy and entails the help of De Niro who plays a detective wanting to bring Ray down. The story unfolds and there are many things to look out for but the pace of the movie seems quite confused towards the end as it doesn't seem to have much special to add. The beginning and middle are excellent and let the movie go along fantastically but you just see the end coming really and it was like the script writer ran out of ideas which seems to be the case in many films we see nowadays and this sadly was one of them. Still Ray Liotta adds the spice to the movie and makes it extra special and doesn't make the movie a complete downfall. I am yet to see the new directors cut but from what I heard there isn't much to notice as far as new scenes go but I will try and get my hands on it to see whether the movie has been improved but till then I will say that Copland has top notch flawless acting by everyone all round especially Liotta and Stallone and has a great story that could have gone much further but it didn't so I will leave it there.

Very good
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
If you think Stallone sucks, think again.
bldsimple26 November 2005
First off, hats off to James Mangold for assembling what had to be one of the finest casts of the 1990's. Second, another hat off to him for making the best Martin Scorsese film Scorsese never directed. Third, thanks for reuniting DeNiro and Keitel. They need to work more (together, that is).

But the real treasure of this film is Sylvester Stallone turning in the finest performance of his career (arguably) and the finest since the original Rocky (indisputable). If you have only seen Stallone in his pumped-up muscle fests of the 80's and early 90's, then you haven't seen the real Stallone. Copland allows Stallone to inhabit a character that completely unlike any other we have seen him do.

Freddie Heflin is the sheriff of a small town on the Jersey side of the Hudson River. He desperately wants to be NYPD but can't because he is deaf in one ear. The good news is, the entire town is populated with NYPD cops so the town has the lowest crime rate in the state. The bad news is someone got all those cops low-interest home loans through the mob in exchange for some favors. Freddie was given the position of sheriff because the locals think he's slow, stupid and will tow the line to keep his job. They are about to find out that they are wrong.

Stallone gained a lot of weight to become Freddie. He plays the role totally introverted, only speaking out toward the end when he is finally pushed in a corner. His clothes don't fit him. He walks awkwardly. He nods and smiles a lot. In short, Stallone melts into the character, leaving behind all the ego he has been accused of bringing to his parts. It's truly a revelation...and should have re-launched Stallone as a dramatic actor, possibly even a mini-DeNiro.

I'm not going to give away the whole story, but one of the best elements I have to mention here. The way Freddie lost is hearing is a tragic story. At the age of 18 he witnesses a car go off a bridge. He dives into the water to save the driver, a teenage girl. He rescues the girl, but loses his hearing in the process. The girl, whom he falls in love with, rejects him and marries another man, an NYPD cop. To this day, Freddie watches her from afar, always keeping an eye on her and hoping one day she'll come around to feel the same way for him as he does for her. It's a touching extra to a story of hard boiled men locked in a hardcore power struggle.

Lastly, I know a lot of people love Ray Liotta. At the time this came out I was not a fan. This, in my opinion, is Liotta's finest work. He utters one of the best quotes in cop movie history, "Being right isn't a bullet proof vest, Freddie."
A superb performance by Sly
movieman_kev15 June 2005
Slightly deaf soft spoken Freddy Heflin (Sylvester Stallone) is a sheriff of the New Jersey town of Garrison, that transient New York cops also live in. He always wanted to be a cop and has a tad of envy for them, but because of his disability he could never pass the exam. Robert De Niro is Lt. Mo Tilden, an Internal Affairs investigator. His current investigation leads him to Heflin's small town. This was a pretty damn good cop drama. And it should have been the one that put Sly back on the map, as his performance here is golden, but it was not to be as he choose to follow this with such turkeys as "Driven", the horribly "Get Carter" remake, and the unfunny "Avenging Angelo", which is a shame as I really like the guy. Same with writer/director James Marigold, this film showed he had talent to spare, and as an adverse effect I found myself disappointed to all the films that he's made prior. It's a damn shame that this picture didn't even pick up an Oscar nomination as it's a more fully realized and better film than the same year's "L.A. Confidential"

My Grade: B+

DVD Extras: Commentary with director/writer James Mangold, producer Cathy Konrad, and actors Sylvester Stallone and Robert Patrick; 2 deleted scenes with optional commentary by the same people as the main commentary; "Shootout" storyboard sequence; "Cop Land: The Making of an Urban Western" featurette; and a compilation Trailer for Miramax

Eye Candy: A stripper is topless
Solid Cop Thriller
callanvass26 March 2005
This is a solid cop thriller that's suspenseful and extremely well acted. It's a powerful film at times,with a pretty suspenseful finale plus, it has a good mystery to it as well. i really liked all the characters, and it has one of the best casts i have ever seen. I admit i was expecting this to be a bit better, however i still enjoyed it very much ,and it also helps that the story is engrossing for the most part. although i would have liked to see more of Robert Deniro, he still shined in his scenes, and all the rest of the cast, is awesome especially Stallone and Liotta. The Direction is very good. James Mangold, does a very good job here, creating some cool atmosphere, and some cool camera tricks here and there nothing fancy but he did his job very well. There is a bit of blood. We get quite a few extremely bloody gunshot wounds in the finale but that's it. The Acting is AWESOME!. Sylvester Stallone is AMAZING as always, and gives one of the best performances in his career, and he proves that he is a fantastic actor,in this he is always amazing, but this is one of his best, as he is required to play a very gritty and different role here and he was up to the challenge! (Stallone Rules!). Ray Liotta, is Awesome here, he is a fantastic actor, and i just loved every minute he was on screen! he's crazy (Liotta Rules!). Harvey Keitel is also one of my favorites and he is great as usual when on screen. Robert De Niro is AMAZING as always, and was great here, i just wish he had more screen time!(Deniro Rules!). Peter Berg is fine with what he has to do. Janeane Garofalo is okay, but didn't have much to do. Robert Patrick is great here and adds his usual intensity. Michael Rapaport does what he has to do well, as the rookie cop. Annabella Sciorra is easy on the eyes but her part is very thin. Cathy Moriarty adds class when she's on screen. Overall this is a solid thriller that i expected a bit more of but still highly recommend! ***1/2 out of 5
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Stallone Gives Oscar-Worthy Performance.
furiousneon26 July 2003
Sylvester Stallone, Ray Liotta, Robert DeNiro and Harvey Kietel star in this amazing movie which deals with the story of crooked cops. Stallone plays a Sheriff of a small New Jersey town where most of the NYPD lives. The cops are crooked and a set up goes bad, very bad. I dont want to give away too much of the movie because i saw it knowing nothing and absolutley loved it. The best thing about it to me was Stallones performance. He was just great. I think he really deserved an oscar for it. Everyone comes down on stallone for being just an action star, saying his only good acting performance comes from Rocky and Rambo..well if you all believe that just check this movie out, Stallone will really impress you. 10/10.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Give it 7 of 10, good story of some bad cops brought to justice.
TxMike26 August 2000
I suppose what I liked most about Cop Land was the role Sly Stallone played, as the half-competent town sheriff who was expected to look the other way when shady dealings involving the NYC cops who lived there came around. Turns out he is quite a good shot, although he can't hear worth a damned out of his right ear. Some shooting, much use of the F-word, but all-in-all a good story with a "feel-good" ending as the bad guys get what they deserve. Actors include Harvey Keitel, Robert DeNiro, Ray Liotta, Isabella Sciorra.

Saw the DVD version, fine picture, great sound, especially during the various crashes, good use of "surround" sound. Worth a look if you like intense cop films. 7 of 10.