IMDb > Cold Around the Heart (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Cold Around the Heart More at IMDbPro »

kept me intrigued

Author: g404c
22 September 2006

Sometimes in the middle of the night HBO airs good movies that keep me intrigued throughout. This was the case with Cold Around the Heart, which I caught recently starring Kelly Lynch, David Caruso, Stacey Dash, and Chris Noth. In summary: Lynch and Caruso are partners-in-crime, but a job they pull goes terribly wrong and Caruso ends up taking the fall for three murders he did not commit. Lynch escapes and has a tryst with Noth. Meanwhile, Caruso bolts from the police and meets Dash and they eventually become friends. There are so many twists and turns in this one leading up to the explosive climax. Set in the dusty deserts of Arizona, this flick has all the right ingredients for a great crime thriller. All four actors shine here. I dug it.

Not bad Neo-Noir

Author: Dr.X
13 January 2000

If you are a fan of modern film noir attempts, this will be worth a look. There are enough plot twists to make it fun to guess if the last one you've seen is indeed the last. The characters are appropriately selfish and dark and there are moments of inventive dialog, though much of it is fairly straight forward.

David Caruso does his patented "I'm going to look you right in the eye and tell you exactly how things are" bit several times. Kelly Lynch does her patented "Don't I look hot in sunglasses?" bit several times. These were pluses for me, may be minuses for others.

Overall 6-7 out of 10.

U-Turn in the desert

Author: sol1218 from brooklyn NY
29 October 2009

***SPOILERS*** Mindless chase/action flick that has to do with a falling out among thieves. With the Arizona state troopers bearing down on them Jewel robber and a triple murderer Jude Law, Kelly Lynch, has her partner in crime Ned Tash, David Caruso, kicked out of the couple's speeding car where he's immediately arrested while Jude makes her successful getaway.

As Ned is recovering from his wounds in the local hospital he gives the police the slip by barricading himself in his hospital room and then jumping out the back window. On the run and on foot Ned then buys himself-where did he get the money-a used car and picks up a teenage hitchhiker Bec Rosenberg, Stacey Dash, who for his good deed attempts to carjack him! Getting Bec, after disarming her, to see things his way Ned ends up at his hermits Uncle Mike's-John Spencer- place for the night.

Ned now determined to knock off his former partner and lover Jude for double-crossing him has no trouble whatsoever in finding her at all. All he does is call information and wallah he gets her phone number at the motel she's staying at! It seems that Unce Mike living alone in the desert for years is hungry for female companionship and as soon as Ned's back is turned makes a play for the pretty but not so innocent, in being raped by her drunken father, Bec. This has Ned come to Bec's rescue by blasting the very drunk and horny Uncle Mike away before he can do any damage. Meanwhile while all this is going on Jude becomes very friendly with this weirdo she meets at a local bar, whom she treats to a cheeseburger and fries, the former Milwaukee brewery worker Mr "T", Chris Noth, who's not the original Mr"T" but just a cheap imitation.

***SPOILER ALERT*** As Jude soon finds out Mr "T" isn't the brainless hick that she at first took him for. In fact Mr "T" isn't the very good and true blue friend that Ned, whom we find out that he's very tight with, thought he was either! Mr "T" turns out to be about the oddest odd-ball of the entire whacked out cast in the film!

We have both Ned & Jude constantly double-crossing each other to the point that we in the audience start to loose focus to just what the movie is really all about; The missing $250,000.00 in uncut diamonds stolen at the beginning of the film, in the jewelry robbery, that had since disappeared! Added to the mix is Johnny "Coke-bottles" Costello, Pruitt Taylor Vince, who was supposed to fence the diamond that he now claims that he never had in the first place!

In the end we have a number of deadly shootouts as well as miraculous resurrections together with an eye-popping almost nuclear-like explosion that just about wipes out, whatever still left of it, the films entire cast of charterers! It's who survives in all the carnage that's about the only surprise, and a non surprising one at that, that's still left in the movie!

Cold Around the Heart-When Bonnie and Clyde Imploded ***

Author: edwagreen from United States
14 December 2009

Worthwhile film with some very interesting plot twists. What makes the film so good is that there is constant back-stabbing in the never ending plot twists.

David Caruso and Kelly Lynch star as the 2 bandits who are on the lam following a jewelry heist, where Lynch used her gun to kill 3 people in the store. What follows is an absolute thriller with deception here as the name of the game.

Caruso meets on the way a young black teenager, who pulls a gun on him before breaking down and telling him her sad story.

On the other hand, Lynch fearing that Caruson will catch up and kill her for her betrayal, meets up with T, a very interesting character played by Chris Noth, in a totally change of persona for Mr. Noth.

T is not as innocent and naive as he is made out to be. In fact, he is a plant by the Caruso character.

The ending may be somewhat bizarre and violent, but remember the old Babylonian adage: An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth or simply, what goes around, comes around.

Our teenager represents that there is redemption and justification for a second chance.

An OK crime/revenge action drama

Author: soranno from Las Vegas, Nevada
11 November 2002

After David Caruso left the popular TV series "N.Y.P.D. Blue" where he had become a star through his appearances on the first 26 episodes, finding work anywhere else was hard to come by and it would seem as though he would forever be typecast as Detective John Kelly. However, the decent results of this 1997 20th Century Fox release prove that Caruso could find something decent outside of his TV stardom. Caruso portrays Ned, a "gentleman" jewel thief who plans a big diamond heist with his partner, Jude (Kelly Lynch). It seemed perfectly planned but Jude gets greedy and takes off with the diamonds leaving a vengeful Ned in hot pursuit. Slow moving at times but the occasional big climactic monent makes up for the film's occasional slow pace.

Satisfying Neo-Noir

Author: LeonLouisRicci from United States
28 April 2012

Satisfying Neo-Noir with all the psychological aberrations, multiple betrayals, and assorted sociopaths, that we have come to know in the word of the Noir, are on full display in this above average foray. Yes, it is formulaic, but true to its roots, as is essential in any and all good Genre entries in any category.

A troubled release for this Film and the associated, not fully understood, career change for David Caruso and his mysterious inability to get work, made this film not fully appreciated. Fans of Film-Noir and it's modern grand-child Neo-Noir could expect no less from this Movie.

Could stand beside John Dahl's early work like Red Rock West (1993) and Kill Me Again (1998).

Twist like we did last summer...

Author: DavidJM from Zionsville
11 May 2003

This is an interesting film with weaknesses and strengths already cited by many. But I'm on the side of good rather than weak.

Cliches abound, but in the context of the characters, perhaps understandable since they're easier to use than real communication. This movie is about virtue versus the "bad seed". Who is and who isn't. The low life quest where everyone is out for themselves continues throughout with twist after twist.

I found it a plus overall, even though some story transitions were puzzling if not far- fetched. I was entertained.

One good movie with a superb Caruso.

Author: Gustaf Molin (gumo@hem2.passagen.se) from Örebro, Sweden
20 February 1999

Cold heart is an independent - roadmovie, with good acting and a cool plot. That says it all, a movie like that can´t be bad.

David Caruso is as great as only he could be and independent actress Kelly Lynch is tough and cool.

But the best in this movie is John Spencer, he is truly great (but we are used to it when it comes to John).

This movie is not a must see, but it is one good movie and it´s way much better than those movies you see at the cinemas today.

Grade: *** out of ****

Caruso's worst film

Author: movieman_kev from United States
8 July 2006

Oh, David Caruso, is there any actor more underrated than this guy? I mean he's great in pretty much everything (barring "Proof of Life) and yet I never see him get any accolades. And THAT is a crying shame. So when I ran across this film while channel surfing one late night, it was a foregone conclusion that I would settle down to watch it. Anyways this movie's about a jewelery store holdup that goes wrong leaving Ned (Caruso) hospitalized after his lover/ co-hort in crime Jude (Kelly Lynch) leaves him bloodied and sore after she pushes him out of there speeding getaway car. Needless to say, Ned is a tad POed about this to say the least and goes on a journey of vengeance. Sadly poor David is the ONLY reason to watch this film as the plot is tired, the execution insipid, and most of the co-stars characters insufferable. Not the least being Stacey Dash who has the most awful dialog of the film (and THAT is saying a lot as the dialog of everyone else is no great shakes either) as Bec, a hitch-hiker whom Ned picks up. To say I was disappointment would be a vast understatement.

Eye Candy: Kelly Lynch offers T&A (it's very early in the film, so after that scene's over cut & run...trust me)

My Grade: D-

numb around the brain

Author: Gangsteroctopus (gangsteroctopus@socal.rr.com) from SoCal
7 July 2001

John Ridley should stick to coming up with basic plotlines for other people to turn into good (or, in the case of "Three Kings", great) movies. If this film is any indication of his undiluted intent as a screenwriter then it serves as a case in point as to why some scripters just shouldn't be allowed to sit in the director's chair. The plotting is tiresome and utterly implausible in too many places (Caruso's escape from the hospital is ridiculously easy - and where does he get the money for the used car immediately afterwards? I suppose the cops just let him keep that big fat wad of bills in his hip pocket). And what is the point of having Stacy Dash's character narrate this whole inane, seen-it-a-million-times-and-always-done-better story? The only reason I can figure is that it fits in with all the other tired, overused 'noir' cliches with which this film overflows. One more thing: I swear I am gonna go ballistic the next time one character says to another character who has clearly just come out of hair and make-up, "You look like s--t." Talk about hackneyed dialogue! Give me a break...