IMDb > Children of Heaven (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Bacheha-Ye aseman

Children of Heaven More at IMDbPro »Bacheha-Ye aseman (original title)

Page 7 of 14: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

better leave some time for non-Hollywood

Author: yanjcw from Ningbo, CHINA
29 July 2005

it's the first time i got to see an Arabic film. before watching, i talked to myself "just try and have an experience of new style. forget about the crazy Arabic. anyway at least a break from Hollywood"

however, when i started i found myself totally absorbed into this movie, which is so plain and pure about a little boy and his sister, who had to go through with only one pair of schooling shoes. it's just simply an episode of childhood life, but through Majidi's direction, it like happened yesterday

looked through other comments at this site, i quite agree that some feeling are common among all human beings, whatever their color, language or belief. it just lays there, so quietly that we could even ignored its existence. it can't be simply built by money. Hollywood can make some visually fantastic movies, but for heart-touching ones i'd rather say goodbye to Hollywood temporarily

two leads share a pair of shoes, while it's a bicycle that in another Chinese movie called Beijing Bicycle. after seeing this, i think it's better than Beijing Bicycle. for one thing, it sounds more fictional for two boys sharing a bicycle for totally different purpose; for the other i don't think the latter copes well the love inside, which appears somehow abrupt for me. while in Majidi's film, Ali and Zahra make the story just like happen around yourself. you're part of Ali run through the race and come back with disappointment. i can see no artificial in their performance, just so naturally

by the way, who's the guy composed the sound track? i find it very beautify and goes pretty well with the movie. someday i'm gonna find it for myself

PS:sometimes just feel it necessary to write something, maybe just help me to remember a good movie when i'm old?

In God's Country

Author: christofer (chrsantosaccc@hotmail.com) from river valley
13 August 2003

Commenting this movie is total useless.

Because it holds so much beauty in it's simplicity.

The plot is simple, the actings, the casts, the musics, the cinematography, the arts.

And yet it hold us dearly. Bring us to the daunting passion of love and pain, laugh and tears.

As the movie ends, we left with a simple thought in our minds, a simple teaching of love. Simple love and simply love.

One of the best family movie for every occasion.

Triumph of consistency

Author: Ivan Lalic from Serbia
16 April 2015

Iranian cinematography is one the Asian's most influential film industries. Its reputation is primarily being built on heavy drama genre and "Children of heaven" is one of those dramas.

The story is quite simple. Brother and a sister must share a pair of sneakers due to his clumsiness that lead to the losing of her repaired shoes. Overall atmosphere is grim and heavy economical situation is the basis of the plot.

On the other hand, both kid actors are just adoring and the script is really consistent in its basic punch line. Director Majid Majidi follows that consistency with its camera and action sequences (mostly running) all the way to a bit of disappointing ending.

"Children of heaven" is a powerful and timeless "family drama" for the entire family that will make you stop taking things for granted.

It is a soothing hearty experience which everyone must experience

Author: Naveen Sankaran from India
11 November 2014

I wasn't prepared to see the movie because it was the first time I am seeing a foreign movie which has no English/action/sci-fi in it. I was little afraid that I might waste the time watching the movie as I am not aware of what it was about. At the end, thank god! It has a very simple story line - a brother helping his sister - in a very tender and sweet yet with some sore in it. His plans, efforts for the cute loving sister is what that makes this movie a masterpiece if one has to say.

If Godfather is a masterpiece in its stylish don genre, well this one says "one can also make a masterpiece with a simple story like this". Godfather made me love that movie, characters but this movie taught me what is love!

Must watch and it will be a emotional experience for all of us.

Just about perfect

Author: j_smith_7 from Czech Republic
11 July 2014

Oh man...this is a film that the whole world needs to see. I confess I am guilty of taking 20 years after its release to sit down and watch it (though I recall when it was released critics said how great it was but, in the passage of time, I guess I just forgot to see it). Nevertheless, I am very happy that, finally, I did. It is gripping in the most charming of ways. The children are wonderful; the story so real (at least for those of us from a poor family background) and the narrative's progress utterly convincing.

Other contributors here have expressed the meaning of this film in far more eloquent and comprehensive ways than I ever could so, I will not go down the road of explaining the plot or its ramifications. What I will say though, which was also mentioned by other posters here, is that this film absolutely needs to be on IMDb's 'Top 250' list. It is everything we want from a film. If only 99% of the world's film makers did but know that.

Beyond what you expect

Author: celluloidkiwi from United States
24 June 2014

Older brother makes a mistake carrying out his duties that in effect involves the sharing of shoes with his little sister. The idea that a pair of shoes, simple shoes, can change a families life on levels of loss and aspiration are indelibly portrayed in this film. The children take it upon themselves to carry the burden to the extent of hiding their shared secret from parents. How this evolves through the story is nothing short of minimalist exposition with superb attention to detail. Acting is beyond anything Hollywood could imagine, story beyond what many can relate to. At the same time, the story sucks you in and takes you to a place you forgot. Memorable, heartfelt and involving ideas lost in western materialism. Watch it and feel your childhood. Certainly not a gender study, this film is about the personal perception of characters and their goals. Truly film-making at it's finer moments. Almost perfect. Nothing is such, so nine of ten, well deserved.

Beautiful. Simply beautiful.

Author: Dave Enciso from madrid
23 May 2014

Every time I watch an Iranian film I am amazed, it's not only Kiarostami, also Asghar Farhadi and Majid Majidi delight us with that special taste of simplicity and beauty. This film is so simple, the conflict is so childish, the approaching is so innocent that you find yourself sharing the anguish the little characters have to deal with, even when the problem is not such a big one. If you side this with a superb photography work and with the great work of all the actors involved (How he managed to reveal such natural emotions on those kids???) what you get is a genuine piece of charming cinema, with images and emotions that will follow you long after the film has concluded. Watch this film if interested on how other cultures face day-to-day, and how children see the environment they're surrounded by. Simply beautiful.

A must see!

Author: Madison Taylor from United States
15 January 2014

Children of Heaven is film that I implore everyone to see. The director and writer Majid Majidi has set a high standard for film makers everywhere. This films gives unique insight into the eventful, yet ordinary life of two young Muslim siblings, Zohre and her older brother Ali. When Ali loses his sister's shoes the duo decide to share Ali's in fear that his poverty ridden family will become upset. Ali then forms a plan to fix his mistake in secrecy. On his journey there are genuine scenes of action packed excitement, and moments of heartwarming love from people that hold little to their name.

One thing I thoroughly enjoyed about this film was that the director did an excellent job of showing the Muslim culture in a light not often seen by the western culture. The intimacy of the characters and families does a great deal in educating viewers of a culture other than their own.

This film puts Hollywood film making to shame, and truly shows that special effects are not necessary in making a film that is exciting and eventful. The genius that is Majid Majidi will be known and his film will be seen by generations to come.

Story told through soul.

Author: Love Light (onlylovelight@gmail.com) from India
29 September 2013

Oh! What can I say about this precious gem out of place and time that is far way! Though it is 1997 when it was released but the culture was much behind from that time of modern culture.

Iran's official submission for the Foreign Language Film category of the 71st Academy Awards (1999)for best foreign language film.

This is a journey of soul in my words. The children represented the pure soul and the race is the "journey of life". Where only pure soul "childlike" that runs not for the win but for the "to get what it wants no matter what" even if he has the ability to get the best that is set by society.

When Ali was running everyday to get his shoes to get exchanged from Zahra, that where he is getting his training. LOL He is not doing on any big purpose but it is his unfortunate routine. He is man of the moment.

Even if you don't know Persian, you can watch it with know need of subs whatsoever. It really speaks the language of the soul.

Simply heart touching.

Wonderful Acting by the kids!

Author: Tejas Nair from the Entertainment Capital of India
21 October 2012

The simplistic plot does the work. And the two child characters - their work is speechless. We may all ask ourselves that how can they act so precisely and naturally without a single flaw?

The story goes perfectly till the end, yet there are some questions which go unanswered. Truly an Oscar material!

The director's point of view is also appreciated with all the requisite factors being mentioned. Life lessons can be learned watching this movie where there is no melodrama like in today's cinema!

Should be added to - the movies to watch before you die!

A must watch!