IMDb > Cats Don't Dance (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Cats Don't Dance

Cats Don't Dance More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

The most hyperactive movie I've ever seen!

Author: Luisa Hughes (louisa_animaniac@hotmail.com) from Chattanooga, Tennessee
11 February 2002

Wow! What a fun movie! I love "Cats Don't Dance" with a passion. I found it so refreshing to see animation like this after such a long string of Disney films so bent on realism. Here, the animation is cartooney, way-overblown, and UNBELIEVABLY manic! The story is wonderfully carried out with anthropomorphic animal characters (something you don't often see in features), and the uplifting message is catching. It's very entertaining and very funny! I recommend you view "Cats Don't Dance" while feeling very energetic. Otherwise, it'll just make you tired. Probably not everybody's cup of tea, but it sure is MINE! An enthusiastic 10/10 stars!

P.S. Did you know that Scott Bakula can sing? He sure can!

Fun and entertaining..

Author: AllisonLVenezio from Jersey shore, USA
7 November 2001

Hollywood-it either makes or breaks you, sends some dreamers to the top, and others home. Can a little ambition go a long way?

Set in the late 1930s, "Cats Don't Dance" is about Danny (voice of Scott Bakula), a singing and dancing cat from Kokomo, who heads to Hollywood in search of a big break, complete with dreams, ambitions, and a song in his heart. He is immediately hired to play a part in "Lil Arc Angel," a picture starring Hollywood's most celebrated actress, Darla Dimple (Ashley Peldon/Lindsay Ridgeway), whom, beneath her sweetie-pie personality, is really a spoiled brat who hates animals and will do anythig to destroy their dreams. Danny decides to steal the show from Darla, who shows her true colors. When he approaches Darla for help in getting the animals a big break, Darla conjures up a plan to get them all blacklisted from movies. Can Danny prove that ambition can get them their dreams?

As a 19 year old, its not very common to like cutesy cartoons. However, this was something that would entertain anyone. Sure, the songs are corny, but the dance numbers are fun, and the singers really know their stuff. Scott Bakula, providing both the vocal and singing tracks for Danny, is energetic and fun, and he sings really well. Jasmine Guy and Natalie Cole, as Sawyer, is seductive and ambitious, just not willing to show it. The supporting animal cast, including Don Knotts as T.W. and Kathy Najimy as Tilly Hippo, are funny and smart. Kudos to Ashley Peldon and Lindsay Ridgeway, as Darla Dimple, who make her EXTREMELY evil, which I love.

Fave parts: The dancing scene in the alley, the "Lil Arc Angel" scene in the beginning, the part where Darla has Danny at her house, eating animal crackers and being sweetly evil, and the ending, which I won't give away. I liked the song "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now". As for fave lines, I had a few. Max: What sound does the kitty cat make? Danny: (big fake grin)Meow??? Max: Gooood. This was also funny when the tables were turned. Scott Bakula doing all sorts of variations of Meow was classic too. Max cracked me up, hulking around scaring the animals. He even started to dance (one of the funniest moments).

This was a wonderful film, and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants a good laugh, likes cartoons, or Scott Bakula. This is a charming film that encourages chasing your dreams, no matter how big they are. As T.W. said, "They can break your cookie, but you'll always have your fortune." Isn't that the stuff dreams are made of?

Fresh and funny

Author: Mario Rodgers from San Antonio, TX
27 September 2000

Having grown slightly weary of Disney's modern formula, I was pleasantly surprised to find an animated movie that didn't try to be something BIG. The formula was fresh and original, despite the fact that the premise is as old as time, and the songs were jazzy and finger snapping. All in all, this was a fun movie. Fun and high energy. There was also not one single weak character. No stupid sidekicks here. Everybody makes the experience enjoyable. And the humor is priceless. They also managed to make the story thoughtful and even touching while still keeping the movie light and fun. Great direction. Great music. Great animation. Overall, just a great movie. Surprising for a WB movie. This movie came out the same year as Disney's own Hercules, but this is many times better.

My entire family loves this colorful, clever, comedic, cartoon!

Author: Roger L. Plummer II (plummer-1) from Niles, Illinois
28 March 2003

"Cats Don't Dance" is an excellent animated film, and if you asked my three kids, they'd tell you it's one of their favorite movies ever! "Cats Don't Dance" can be enjoyed whether you're age 4 (close to my youngest child) or age 40 (close to me). The movie uses bright and crisp colors which make you pay attention---and you'll have to! "Cats" moves at a rapid pace. I'm always apprehensive when I hear about animated musicals because the songs usually stink. However, I think the songs and musical sequences in "Cats" are better than those in most Disney hit movies. [Darla Dimples's performance singing "Big And Loud" is an animated classic.] My kids sing "Cats" songs just for fun. They've seen the movie (by their own request) almost 20 times. By the way, I knew Natalie Cole was a good singer, but who knew that Scott Bakula was too? "Cats Don't Dance" has great dialogue (Danny and Sawyer at her job, the same two cats arguing while a disaster ensues, and Danny meeting with Darla Dimple at her home are among my favorite scenes. If characters are going to achieve a good and noble goal in a movie, there MUST be worthy foils trying to stop them. "Cats Don't Dance" has two of the best villians ever in Darla Dimple and her behemoth of a butler Max. Darla takes being two-faced to a whole new level. (Notice at least twice in the movie when the red bow on her head looks more like two horns) Max is so huge that he actually blocks out light! His laugh is chillingly amazing and Max the the BEST line of dialogue in the movie: "How does the kitty cat gooooooooooooooo? [Danny: 'Meow?'] "Very goooooooooood." Every character in this movie (most of whom are animals) are drawn exaggeratedly and that fits perfectly for the theme and tone of this movie. "Cats" is a funny, wild ride for children and adults. If you like animation and/or musicals and/or clever comedy, you'll love "Cats Don't Dance". It's a shame this great movie isn't more popular. Hopefully good word-of-mouth (and word-of-internet) will change that.

its my favorite animated movie

Author: alimacu from United States
26 March 2006

this movie is great-- i watched it when i was small, and i've loved it ever since! my favorite characters are Danny and sawyer... i just thought Danny was so cute and the sparks between Danny and sawyer were adorable!!! well, i guess my real favorite character would have to be sawyer, she's a great dancer and has some really good songs. my ultimate favorite scene was in the last number "nothing's going to stop us now" when they were in the "venice" scene...i thought it was the cutest, even if it was only a few seconds long! but it definitely was a cute movie, and my favorite of all time. this was a great movie. everyone, of all ages, should watch it.

A Cartoon Animal Tribute To Golden Age Hollywood

Author: EmperorNortonII from San Francisco, California
30 April 2005

"Cats Don't Dance" is a delightful animated feature in the style of a 1930's musical comedy. The main character, Danny (voiced by Scott Bakula), is a high-spirited cat from Kokomo, Indiana who goes to Hollywood with dreams of becoming a movie star. But there he finds limited roles available for animals. The story is a sly message about discrimination. The imagery is bright and the music is catchy. The villainess is a wonderful Darla Dimple, a Shirley Temple parody of a child star with a dark side. Together with her monstrous manservant Max, they provide many laughs. Other funny animals include Tilly the Hippo (voiced by Kathy Najimy) and T.W. the Turtle (voiced by Don Knotts). So "Cats Don't Dance" is an enjoyable movie for everyone!

Good fun if you give it a chance

Author: einsteins_stein from United States
2 February 2004

This is a great movie for both kids and adults! I have 3 boys, ages 4, 9 and 14, and they ALL like the film, especially the songs. The strange thing is that my boys generally think musical numbers are girl-stuff. Well, girl-stuff or not, they get into this flic, and I sometimes catch them singing along with the catchy tunes.

Scott Bakula is a real surprise as Danny, the talented singing and dancing cat from Kokomo, Indiana, who comes to Hollywood with stars in his eyes, and ignites the fading dreams of the jaded animals who work as extras while humans get all the good scenes.

The principal characters are well cast and easy to like, except for Darla and Max, whom you'll love to hate! BTW - I don't know the name of the young woman who did the singing voice for Darla, but she has a set of pipes that will absolutely knock you on your seat. Big And Loud!

Take a look at this movie with an open mind and a young heart. You'll be glad you gave it a chance!

I could kick myself for seeing this wonderful film only once in my childhood

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
29 December 2009

I remembered seeing Cats Don't Dance when I was 10, and really liking it. To this day, I still find it a mystery as to why I didn't see it again since, and I can't think of a convincing enough reason why other than I forgot about it. Then, I was reading some reviews by chance that were praising this film, and I decided I must give it another chance. Thank goodness for YouTube. And you know what, I am glad I did that, and now I am kicking myself for only seeing this film once in my childhood. Seriously I loved it, why it is so underrated I don't know.

I am also scratching my head on some of the aspects of the film critical reviews have picked up. Critics complained of dull characters, and others of forgettable songs. Now I will admit that Cats Don't Dance is surprisingly ambitious, but I cannot disagree more with the criticism that it has forgettable music. I thought it was wonderful, the incidental music itself was beautiful, but the songs were amazing and definitely memorable, from the wonderfully energetic end number, to the poignant one sung by Sawyer in the rain. Though special mention has to go to Big and Loud, where Lindsay Ridgeway did a spectacular job with the singing voice of the antagonist Darla Dimple.

And the characters certainly weren't dull. Danny is a very likable Gene Kelly-like protagonist, and Sawyer is lovely. And if you're looking for a character for comic relief, look to Flannigan especially. But the most memorable character is easily Darla, wonderfully voiced by Ashley Peldon. You could say Darla is like Shirley Temple's evil twin, she is very cute yet she is mighty mean too. Her bodyguard Max for some reason frightened me at the end when he was chasing Danny when I first saw Cats Don't Dance. The animation is colourful and detailed, and the voice cast is excellent. Other definite pros are in the surprisingly consistent and mature scripting, the inspired story, its constant sense of fun and the glamorous and irresistible choreography. All in all, despite the decent enough rating on IMDb(though I personally think it should be in the 7s) this is a very underrated and almost forgotten film. 10/10 Bethany Cox

Proof that movies are made from dreams.

Author: Melissa (Gab@MonsterInk.com) from UT, USA
4 November 2001

I'll always be a hardcore Disney fan, but I can't help but have a real soft spot for movies which prove that dreams can come true. This movie about anthropomorphic characters (animals that are like people) is simply incredible- animation stylized, cute, and fun... with an incredible plot, great music (I bought the soundtrack), amazing voice talent (that includes singing!), and believable characters. This is a real keeper...and I'm surprised that it didn't get as much attention as it deserved. I'd reccomend it to anyone who's had a dream, or who has one... and those who just love cartoons.

One of the best animated musicals ever made; personal favorite

Author: P.M. Reilich from Los Angeles
21 June 2000

How about an animated story with animal subversives as out of work actors/musicians rising up against a repressive Hollywood movie-mogul dynasty by way of performing the hippest, swingingest dance number. Think it'll work?

Only if the story is realistic enough.

I haven't had this warm and swingin' a feeling watching an animated feature since, well, the last time I watched Tom O'Malley and Duchess (Phil Harris and Eva Gabor's voices) in the movie The Aristocats.

If you haven't seen this animated musical yet and you've been yearning to see a new cartoon feature that is produced the way they used to make 'em, this one's for you. Besides satisfying a craving for 30s/deco styled cartoons, the writing also toys with some deeper themes reminiscent of that era. It's a funny combination because we usually expect cartoons to never dig deeper than surface humor as there's never enough time for character development. However, some very witty writing (there were 10 writers listed in the credits) manages to take this story well into subject matter that is almost downright noir! That's saying a lot for a cartoon musical, and to top it all off we get Randy Newman songs composed apparently during an especially fertile period of this already extremely talented songwriter and Steve Goldstein's Broadway flair adds up to a wallop of absolutely top-notch songs.

"Big & Loud" has an arrangement that Mancini undoubtedly would have been very proud to have written and is belted to perfection by vocalist Lindsay Ridgeway. The female cat character is as jaded and sultry as Michelle Pfeiffer was in Baker Boys, and is sung by Natalie Cole who we all know is one of the most incredible female swing vocalists who has ever lived. This film really has it all. A rare gem, especially for a cartoon.

My favorite character is Woolie Mammoth, a cynical elephant pianist that immediately reminds me of Brahms, only he's a ragtime genius on the keys. In fact, there is not one (NOTE: NOT ONE) weak character in the whole cast. That is, every single supporting wiseacre line in this fast moving musical romp is written & executed perfectly. Of course, when you're writing classic 30s shtick there's plenty of tried & tested winning material and timing (timing, timing, timing!!!) to draw from and it's therefore easier than trying to make a gargoyle or a sea turtle funny. That's exactly where this flick excels, and there's no shame in that.

The most amazing thing about this movie is how it wasn't a blockbuster success from the tee-off. That's okay; there's nothing wrong with being a sleeper success. Absolutely unbelievable that Malkin panned this filck has bad as he did, considering how good it is and the quality of music etc. In the recent rush of animation features vying to break out of the children's film mold during the past few years, it seems you need a stylish techno look to get noticed. But in the long run, the real talent will eventually outshine the rest. Cats Don't Dance is one that should easily hold its place on the video collectors shelf. But to me, well... there are only a few movies that can make me cry. The Sound of Music is one that always "gets me right here." There are certain places in Cats Don't Dance that are very touching, too. Okay, I admit it. I'm a sentimental old fool. Fortunately for me, movies & sentimentality go together like cookies & milk.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]