IMDb > The Castle (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 10 of 15: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Practially Perfect

Author: Robert Hummel from United States
19 August 2006

The characters in this film are wonderfully drawn, and the dialog has memorable lines that you'll find yourself repeating. Absolutely laugh out loud funny, and wonderful film. The sincerity of each of the characters is almost painful to watch at times. Yet other situations that are just atmosphere to any given scene ring so frighteningly true they are hysterically funny. The solicitor's relationship with his Xerox machine is one that is just perfect! I think what's most impressive about this film is that you've never seen it before. It isn't filled with clichéd scenes that you've seen a dozen times before. I don't think there's a false note in any of the plot directions; meaning, as funny as it is, it doesn't have characters doing things you don't believe they'd do. Then, at the end of the day, the ending of this wonderful comedy has a heart of gold that you'll find yourself wiping tears from your eyes.

The Aussie Comedy

Author: skinnyjonob from Australia
14 August 2006

When you think of Aussie comedy films this immediately comes to mind. I don't know how many times I've watched it and it is still entertaining. However, it's not just the humour that attracts you to it, it's the heartwarming story. The concept of family is so real, a concept that many of us lack in our real lives. People outside Australia may not find it quite as funny as we do, but I have no doubt you'll still be touched by it's wonderful feel good story. If you want a humorous, uplifting night then watch this and 'The Dish', not quite as brilliant as 'The Castle' but still very worthwhile.

I can't recommend The Castle highly enough.

Satirical Look at the Suburbs.

Author: John Bale from Australia
23 April 2006

This has become something of a cult film, about a little Aussie Battler taking on the big wheels when they try to seize his house for an airport development. Despite low production values and a look of "made for TV", the cheeky script and Michael Caton's outstanding performance as the very Ocka but lovable Darryl Kerrigan saves the day (and the house) resulting in an enjoyable comedy. Strong supporting players Bud Tingwell, Stephen Curry, Ann Tenney, and Teriel Mora, bring it together. You may also spot a young Eric Bana before he came to fame as Chopper and The Hulk. Considering the limited budget and shooting time this has proved to be quite a hit. And The Castle's satirical view of suburbia is a comic tradition in Australia, begun by Barry Humphries, and recently continued by Kath and Kim.

Best Aussie movie ever

Author: tastyhotdogs from Australia
18 February 2006

I've baked a few Aussie movies in my reviews, probably because this movie is the standard to which they all should be compared. While Crocodile Dundee was made for the yanks, this movie was made for us.

"The Castle" revolves around the Kerrigan family, a battling Aussie family faced with forced eviction from their home due a pending airport development. Not willing to take the $ and relocate, Darryl decides to take his case to the Supreme Court in order to protect his family. Doesn't sound hilarious, but the journey is a laugh a minute.

This movie probably won't make a stack of sense to any non-Aussie's, but to Aussie's it exposes and pokes fun at the staples of our lifestyle and characteristics. Probably about 5 phrases from the movie have entered pop culture language here "tell him he's dreaming", "how's the serenity" etc.

Brilliantly written by the Working Dog team, and brilliantly casted, especially Michael Caton, Wayne Hope, Steve Curry and Bud Tingwell.

Classic Aussie comedy

Author: diabolus_dues from Australia
18 October 2005

A perfect mix of Aussie humor and sarcasm turns this low(er) budget Aussie film into an hour and a half of fun. While Aussies don't have many good or highly funded movies (apart from Mad Max) and none really good comedies at that.

The team, leaded my Michael Caine and featuring a young Eric Bana captures the great Aussie theme of the Battler. It has many great qualities and showcases many of the qualities that resonate in Us Aussies daily lives. I first saw this movie when it came out, and fell in love with it. I do not know if it will work for overseas people, as some of the humour you may well just not get, but give it a go anyway.

A must see, 9 out of 10

Great light comedy, delving deeper into Aboriginal rights

Author: David Martin from London, England
17 September 2002

This film has, I feel, been largely misunderstood by most viewers. While being a comedy, playing on the working class culture in `middle' Australia, this film is actually a portrayal of Australian Aboriginal life, culture and political issues.

Throughout the film the life of the central family, their patterns of thought and speech all mimic closely the ways of Aboriginal thinking, issues and the central concern of Aboriginal land rights. The main premise being that no amount of money is worthy compensation for taking someone's home. It highlights the refreshing outlook of physical wealth not being important, family life, happiness at the sight of a meal and of a society totally out of their depth in the rapidly changing and advancing culture of "normal" modern life.

Watching with this in mind brings a whole different angle to what on the surface appears to be a somewhat shallow, courtroom light comedy.

very very funny

Author: digger_c from Australia
28 December 2001

So hilarious! I totally understand that some people won't like this film, and not because it's an "Australian" film. It just appeals to a certain type of humour. But I thought it was very funny. Some great bits:

The $15 "genuine Rolex" - "He said he'd mail the warrantee later"

The "As seen on TV" sign outside Dennis Denuto's office at the end

Darryl Kerrigan's version of a patio

"There was only one thing Dad liked better than Hey Hey It's Saturday, and that was The Best of Hey Hey It's Saturday."

Darryl's love of the power lines and "Man's ability to generate electricity"

Coco's son, named "Son of Coco"

The great thing about living right next to an airport is that you can walk home!

"Just the ... vibe of the whole thing."

Local knowledege makes this movie!!!

Author: OZBUGS (mark@gentech.com.au) from Melbourne
10 August 2000

I have seen this movie a few times on video and catch it regularly channel surfing on Foxtel. I cannot seem to change the channel after that. A smirk always emerges and I am in disbelief that a feeling this good has been captured on film. Maybe its the "VIBE". Working dog, the films writers and producers have done for "The Castle" what Larry David and Jerry did for Sienfeld. Did you ever notice!!! We find Sienfeld funny here only because so much of our programming on TV here is American so we understand most of the jokes.

There are so many Local 'isms' that even some Aussies out of Melbourne or in the outback won't get some of the laughs. (Kerrigans Tows trucks and Wogs and cash for Example) I would think the morals of the story would transfer across well to other countries but it would not be the hilarious movie that I found it to be.

I am sure in the states New Yorkers would find even funnier stuff out of Sienfeld with things like the Soup Nazi, car parks, and who is that guy from the yankees?

The Castle truly captures a simple Aussie family, those that find it unfunny are those who are it and those that cannot relate to it (Wealthy). Most Australian families particularly those that had kids in the late sixties, seventies and early eighties have been in the Kerrigans position before or have family that is. The Torana, Boat, Cortina, Commodore line is part of Australian culture and can be seen in many homes thoughout the country.

The best Australian movie ever made and if you have ever lived here it is a must see. I have a copy in MY "pool room".

9.5/10

Brilliant Aussie comedy

Author: (erthling_2@hotmail.com) from Australia
23 July 2000

If your an aussie, and hated this movie its impossible. When Tow Truck Driver Daryl Kerrigan (brillian Michael Caton), who lives right next to the airport, he is forced to move, with a compulsory aquasition, and being a dinkum aussie that he is asks for help in his son's lawyer Denis Denuto (Tirel Mora, who lost Daryls sons case) Daryl likes him, and even says "But ya did ya best" when Denise reminds Daryl he lost the case.

But when Daryl by chance meets Judge Laurie Hammil (aussie tv/movie veteran Bud Tingwell) he takes it to the high court. One of the funniest, if not THE funniest aussie movie ever made.

Look at us, we're lovin' it

Author: The red capsicum from Brisbane, Australia
14 June 2000

This is one of those subtle movies that the more you watch it, the more it gets into your soul. My family and friends use a lot of quotes from the movie and it never fails to bring some laughs. I don't care that the Americans didn't like it as much, I want to keep it all for ourselves. Rob Sitch and co. are geniuses, truly champagne comedy!!

Page 10 of 15: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]