IMDb > The Castle (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Castle

The Castle More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 15: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

loved this little movie

Author: Ctnascarwidow from United States
8 May 2009

The genuine kindness that the family showed to one another made it endearing and memorable. If only I had the words to express how much I wish I could find more movies like this out there that know they don't have to belittle characters to make them funny. I am so glad I channel surfed my way to finding this movie on cable TV this week.I always look forward to seeing movies made outside of the US for their fearlessness in showing people as they really are. So many Hollywood movies are either glossed over or overly graphic. I have recommended this movie to my co-workers and have already quoted it to my friends and family. The hair cut on the youngest son was a little painful to look at but heck we all had funny hair back in the day. I loved the relationship between the family and their neighbors. There was true "cultural diversity" and mutual respect that we can all learn from and emulate.

one of the best films I have ever seen. A great iconic film.

Author: nevery from Australia
13 April 2009

I'd heard raving reviews on this Australian icon film for years, and finally saw it. And I was not disappointed.

This is a classic Australian satire comedy with a lot of stereotypes and classic dialogue. It addresses lots of social problems and also pokes fun at social problems, status and Australian life in general. This is much more of a look at Australian life and the 'great Australian dream' than any movie ever was or will be.

It gave birth to some of the most classic one-liners, like "this is going straight to the pool room", "feel the serenity", "what do you call this?", "tell him he's dreaming" and many more.

The storyline is very believable, and you can actually see this happening. The casting is perfect, and no-one else could have played Darryl. It also gave many Australian actors their big breaks, and put them on the map.

However it obviously is targeted at Australian audiences. The whole film is built on Australian humor, and it is understandable that many non- Australians will not 'get' this film, but for those who do, this film is pure genius.

An absolutely hilarious and extremely well-made film!

What a pleasant surprise! Terrific Movie

Author: CampsieNP from United States
13 January 2009

Scanning the dial I stumbled on this film on our IFC indie cable channel. I absolutely LOVED this movie. Never heard of it and it was outstanding: Funny, touching, unique......Its about 10 below zero here in Chicago today and to watch this heartwarming film was such a treat on a cold day. I loved it especially the catch phrases...."he's dreaming' "......hilarious movie with catch phrases one could repeat over and over!

The father was loving and supportive of his whole family. Wanting to have the home for his incarcerated son to return to was beautiful. We fall into the trap of thinking a home must look a certain way and live up to an expensive standard. No wonder the global economy is in a shambles as we all strive to live beyond our means. This movie showed people genuinely happy within their means. Even the Queens Council was drawn to this loving man.

This was a refreshing surprise

Author: Ramon Nevarez from United States
15 November 2008

I happened to watch this movie because there wasn't anything else on TV I wanted to watch. I stumble on it on IFC by chance and boy was I pleasantly surprised.

Only Australians can portray working class with such respect and delicious country humor. Humor not as in your face like American hick humor, but more subtle and equally funny. You really have to listen to the dialogue and it's hilarious. Here's the big difference. American Films have a tendency to either mock and ridicule the working class or make this Mickey Mouse hero out of them that does impossible and extraordinary things. However, in this film, you can enjoy the idiosyncrasies of the working class, their struggles, realities and dreams. The hero isn't a hero, just a simple guy who perseveres by putting his trust on people to help him keep the things he values the most. His only extraordinary achievement is to keep true to his values and avoid being someone he's not.

I don't understand how some people can say you got to be Australian to understand their humor. I'm a Latino, Spanish is my first language and got it from the start. Of course, I had to watch it with English subtitles because I had a little trouble with the accent. Maybe Americans should watch it with subtitles too. Maybe they don't get the humor because they don't understand some words from that region.

This is a perfect example of how you only need a good script and great actors to make a good film. Not big budgets or big stars. Maybe Hollywood should take some notes.

Such a great movie - a must see for all Australians

Author: Sam Russell from Melbourne, Australia
9 January 2008

I guess you'd have to live in Oz to appreciate how much The Castle has become apart of Australian folklore. With so many pretentious films these days, doing everything they can to confuse to the audience - this film is the exact opposite. This simple story of a simple middle-class family in the outer suburbs fighting to keep their house from being torn in favour of an expanding airport has become a classic, not just for its uniquely dry Aussie humour but also for its satirical analysis of Aboriginal land rights in Australia.

Michael Caton is memorable as Darryl Kerrigan, the simple hard-working Aussie battler who loves his family and his home. Darryl becomes embroiled in a legal battle with the neighbouring airport and the Government, when they attempt to expand meaning that Darryl's house (among many) will need to make way.

It's hard to explain why this film is so great to non-Australians (which is why I say its a must see for Aussie's only) but it so brilliantly encapsulates almost everything that is uniquely Australian. There are so many great lines in this, but perhaps the most memorable is Darryl's insistence that "its not a house, its a home, you can't buy what I've got". Such a simple yet, profound truth - very attributable to Aboriginal land rights and Native Title which was (and still is) a contentious issue.

European settlers in Australia, and Australian society (until 1992 would you believe) long denied Aboriginal land rights because it seemed to absurd to waste land that could be used for commercial use and money, they could not fathom how the spiritual and cultural connection that Aborigines proposed to have with the land could be more important than making money or that couldn't be compensated. In this case, the Airport and the Courts could not understand why Mr Kerrigan would not take this 'generous' compensation. Whilst, Darryl appears a simple man (and is really) his priorities and values make him a lovable character. Again, us Aussies always side with the battler, the underdog which is Darryl.

Rob Sitch and Santo Cilauro (responisble for one the best Australian TV shows, Frontline) produce a tremendous script which is so laid back, funny and Australian but which also conveys a very important message.

I really love this film, I urge any Aussie who hasn't checked it out to do so.

A wonderful film on every level!

Author: BazBaz001 from United Kingdom
26 September 2007

I saw a small clip on sky movies advertising "The Castle" showing the family eating dinner, so i sky plussed it (tivo to Americans) thinking this was a movie about poking fun at insular hick Australian's. I didn't watch it for a week or so but when i had a spare few hours, i thought i would give it a go... well, what a fantastic movie! Funny throughout even in poignant moments but done with honesty without interference to the scene. This is one of those rare comedy's that have great character's who you will care about, even with all their misgivings. It has been showing here in the U.K. on sky indie for awhile and i urge you to catch it while you can... A wonderful film on every level!

It Takes a Heap of Livin' to Make a House a Home.

Author: Robert J. Maxwell ( from Deming, New Mexico, USA
31 May 2007

This is a quietly effective, warm comedy about an eccentric family in Melbourne who fight a conglomerate wanting to claim their house and land in order to expand the airport next door.

The story reminds me a little of the nostalgic mid-Western American stories written by people like Ray Bradbury. Or, let me put it this way, if you've seen and enjoyed Jean Shepherd's "A Christmas Story" you'll enjoy this.

It's funny. No question about it. But the Kerrigan family becomes real enough to us that we want them to win their case against the Brobdignagian Corporation just so that they can wind up "pleased as punch." (They do, in a fairy-tale ending.) It's about as unpretentious as you can get. Everyone is quirky, blind to the faults of themselves and their friends, and socially artless. The Kerrigan's dim bulb of a lawyer is told by the judge that he has a weak case. He shambles up to the bench and asks in a hushed conspiratorial voice, "Can you give me an angle?" He's doing his best. He's even learned to read Roman numerals for the trial.

There's probably not much point in going on with this. It's a slight enough movie, and describing it in much more detail would spoil some of the more amusing moments. It may take a few moments to get into it, but it's worth the little effort involved. Nice job.

A nice story with plenty of Aussie humour.

Author: Christopher Reid from Australia
15 April 2007

The Castle has in spades what many comedies seem to forget they need. The Castle has heart. The characters and relationships in the movie are portrayed with genuine sincerity (particularly the Kerrigan family). In a lesser movie, characters as odd as those found in The Castle would simply be used as a framework on which to build jokes based on their superficial characteristics and quirks. But The Castle is wise enough to treat its main characters with the respect they deserve.

Almost all of the humour in The Castle derives from its characters and the situations they find themselves in (for example, Dale's interest in obscure details of Con and Tracy's honeymoon such as what movies they saw on their plane flights). This means that the movie essentially has no missed jokes. It has slower parts but ultimately, since it is always committed to its story and characters, no scene is pointless (but they could of course be funnier or more exciting).

I think this is the kind of movie that will grow well with multiple viewings. Like Buster Keaton's classics and the PIXAR movies, the more you watch them, the more you grow to love the characters and the more you appreciate and love the films. However, The Castle is not as funny as perhaps it could have been and it's probably not quite as revolutionary as Citizen Kane was. My point is that I don't think its entertainment vale will diminish much with age as is typical of most comedies (and movies in general).

So, to summarise, I think The Castle was quite good. Not really laugh out loud hilarious but it has its moments and its only a short movie. It's even quite touching in some ways when you think about it.

tell him he's dreaming...

Author: thegreatape from Poland
26 March 2007

Never before have I wondered how much a pair of jousting sticks cost nowadays, although undoubtedly it depends on the condition.

How would I pretty up an ergonometric chair? Have I ever really felt the self-satisfaction that a man gets from digging a hole? Or the panic when it starts filling with water? The Kerrigans are all that is good in the world.

Forget clichéd corny Hollywood plots, this film is not tacky, it is simply honest and likable. it lays itself bare for you to see and says "take me as I am".

Some of the comments here are spot on, it's not a film that will tickle everyones fancy, but if you find it funny it will have you falling off the sofa.

I'm going to Bonneydoon, I'm going to Bonneydoon, I'm going to Bonneydoon... ad infinium

Lovely movie, please don't miss it.

Author: carolyn-140 from Canada
28 January 2007

It's quirky, it's funny, it has so many wonderful one liners that I can't even begin to quote. It is a testament to love, family and neighbourly trust and friendship, and is downright funny to boot. Ah I need more lines of text... OK well I thought the film is super brill....... The acting is actually understated even though it seems like it is over the top, it's not. It's just plain old good and funny. The little touches are fabulous. The actors all add wonderful facial expressions and in a world where we are increasingly divided along ethnic, cultural, religious and class lines this film shows clearly that the real enemy if actually corporate greed. OK...... now is that enough lines? :o)