IMDb > The Castle (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Castle

The Castle More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 15: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Very intense, for a funny movie

Author: John-196 from Derwood, MD
5 March 2000

We really enjoyed this movie. It was very amusing, although not uproariously funny. The very strange aspect was that I got a headache from concentrating so hard on it. Every word that comes out of the characters' mouths (in a thick Australian accent) seems critical and precious - not to be missed. Definitely worth seeing, especially if you like "off-beat" comedies.

funny and heartwarming

Author: anonymous from Canada
25 May 1999

This movie is wonderful -- in the spirit of "The Full Monty". A nice light comedy that stands up for the ordinary man. No, its not a great work of art, but I guarantee that if you like idiosyncratic characters and gentle humour then you will come out of the theatre smiling. Do go and see it.

The best movie I've ever seen, funny and heart warming.

Author: Jim Tinniswood from Brisbane, Australia
7 November 1998

This is the best movie I have ever seen! I saw it at the Brisbane premiere in March '97 and I ended up seeing it four more times before I won a copy of it on video. This is the funniest, most heartwarming film ever to come out of Australia and it only took twelve and half days to film on a really low budget. It was shown in the US at this year's Sundance Film Festival and the audience was apparently rolling in the aisles. It is a movie that makes you feel happy for the little people who just stick to their own things and when the big guys come to get 'em, they fight to the bitter end. Here's a transcript of my favourite scene involving Dale talking to his brother Wayne in jail.

Wayne: How's Mum? Dale: Good. Wayne: How's Dad? Dale: Good. Wayne: How's Trace? Dale: Good. Wayne: How are you? Dale: Good. Wayne: How's Steve? Dale: He's alright. Wayne: Good. Dale (v.o.): We could just chat for hours.

See it and I hope it wins a stack of Oscars!

Feel-Good with very Aussie flavour

Author: Weng from Sydney Australia
5 November 1998

The movie has a strong Australian suburban feel which is quite true to life -- the characters remind me of people I knew growing up here in Sydney. The script is light-hearted and leaves you with a good feeling -- it is however a little far fetched -- not that it matters because it's not meant to be taken seriously -- just enjoy it!

pitched to the top with great humour

Author: Conehead (conehead@xoommail.com) from act, australia
17 October 1998

This movie is great. I was laughing my head of at the foreign guy from across the road, but I don't think this did too well overseas because its mostly Aussie humour, not slapstick humour. It leaves you happy after watching it, and feeling sorry for the low scale lawyer (great character). In Australia there were competititions for home loans using the tag line, I'm sure everyone with a wide minded sense of humour will absolutely LOVE this movie, if you have a chance, SEE IT!!!!

Funny and Heart-Warming!

Author: dawnprin from Philadelphia, PA USA
10 September 1998

We saw this movie at the suggestion of new friends from Australia who we met on a bus tour of Scotland! This movie is not only very funny, but heart -warming as well. The family's devotion to each other is very sweet and it was great to see the "little guy" come out on top for a change! I highly recommend it!

How The Hell Did We Get Here?

Author: rogbaggs from Australia
30 December 2006

Just for interest's sake the Australian Broadcasting Commission (ABC) just broadcast a programme titled "How the hell did we get here?" Australians were given the opportunity to vote for their favourite Australian movie of all time.

"The Castle" was rated (by Aussies) as their favourite Australian movie. (Number 2 was Mad Max.)

Apparently I'm not allowed to comment unless I write at least ten lines, which is rather annoying. It's also annoying to be told by IMDb that my spelling is incorrect. The language is called English, not American.

Funny, charming in a way

Author: Webslinger48 from Los Angeles
30 January 2000

In all, I enjoyed "The Castle." Very funny. The Kerrigan family may appear simple to the core, but they choose to be that way and refuse to compromise on their ideals, which is really what the movie is about I think. The cynical among us might look at them and make fun, but they enjoy their life and are tightly-knit. If more people were like these characters in real life, the world would be a better place.

Canadian, eh?

Author: linda99-15-364808 from British Columbia Canada
12 June 2014

This is one of our five top movies in the world..........have watched it probably 4 or 5 times........an American friend turned us on to it.....bought it and just keep watching it..........

This was SO funny,,,the cheap lawyer....the illustrious solicitor,,,the neighbors.......the family and the kids.....how could anyone think this is kind of for Aussies or something?

Maybe being Canucks,,,,we are so close in our thinking to Aussies, of whom there are plenty around here, that we just Get It!

Can't believe anyone could not get this....such a simple, heartwarming story...NO violence...nothing scary....o.k. maybe the hairdo's!

What a joy

Author: Tony Connell from Ireland
18 April 2012

I did not expect a lot from a film with no stars, no action chases , no big budget. What I got was 85 minutes of joy and laughter about a normal family with no airs, graces or style. Just love for each other and laugh after laugh after laugh. Mr Kerrigan is the forthright Aussie that we all have met over the years travelling. Says what he means and no messing.

Not overly sentimental but right up there in the laughter count with Young Frankenstein and DodgeBall. All people wishing to write / direct should look at the relationships between all the characters - they all work. Every character is not only likable but real. We all know some people like them.

A joy.