IMDb > The Castle (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Castle

The Castle More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 15: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Hidden Treasure

Author: Norman Farrell (nrf@shaw.ca) from North Vancouver, Canada
26 November 2007

A family member found this movie through recommendation of an Aussie friend. I began watching, expecting to bail after a few moments, but was pleasantly surprised. It's a fun story with gentle humor, one that Roger Ebert called "one of the funniest movies of recent years."

My favorite lines involve the "castle" owners explaining how lucky they are to live on the fringe of an international airport. Although the family never travels by air, they think the location would be very convenient if they ever begin flying. Of course, as this is explained, a screaming jetliner passes low overhead, about to land on the nearby runway.

With such a perfect location, it is understandable that the family goes to great lengths to protect their home when the airport wants to expropriate.

Director Rob Stich's next theatrical project was "The Dish", another comic movie with affable and quirky characters. Look for either of these when you are in the mood for comedy.

"The vibe of the thing" is charm

Author: jacobfam from California, USA
31 March 2007

This story of one family's quest for justice is one of my own family's all-time favorite films and quite possibly our favorite comedy. Even the zero-budget production values contribute to its appeal because the cheap sets, lighting, etc, help to reveal the utter tackiness of the Kerrigan home which is in stark contrast to the family's buoyancy and richness of spirit.

It is a quirky little movie that also serves a curiously noble purpose. After watching, my family is invariably reminded of the implied contract we hold with one another of total acceptance, unity, and unconditional affection. The Kerrigans, while basically ridiculous, yet manage to embody the kind of tolerance and respect we all want, such that their lexicon has added to the shorthand we use to express it. "Icing sugar." "Now, who would go to a restaurant...." "That's going' straight to the poolroom." "So much serenity!" "They're dreamin'." "Whaddya call this?" "You could sell that." "This I'm not even taking outta the wrapper." "He dug a hole!" "It's the vibe o' the thing."

Yes, the Kerrigans are ridiculous, and not least because they believe justice will be done. But the very fact that it is done directly results from their open, honest, egalitarian approach to life. Darryl befriends the Queen's Counsel completely unhampered by notions of class or self-consciousness; he sees only their commonality based on shared regard for home and family, and decency, and doing the right thing.

The Kerrigans at first come across as naive or just plain ignorant but by story's end we are enchanted by--and not a little envious of--their purity of heart and childlike innocence. THE CASTLE is one of those movies we watch year after year and it never fails to charm us.

Top film

Author: Michael Spence from United Kingdom
27 June 2006

This is definitely the best film i have ever seen. It is so funny and has such a brilliant simple story. The one liners have become part of vocabulary for everyone i know that has seen this film. My Australian friend quotes it without knowing with "shot Dale". It is a complete shame that less people have not seen this film as it could have become a great film and still may. If i ran a television company i would put it on without a second thought.

I wouldn't have come across the film if my father hadn't seen it on Film4. A channel that needs to be subscribed to. Its a total fluke that i watched it as i would never seen it. i don't know of anyone who didn't like it. Its also a brilliant feel good film and makes you feel like you can't take anything for granted and the things you've got you worship.

this is a funny movie

Author: henseb from United States
17 June 2006

This movie is among the funniest I have seen. And apparently I need 10 lines of text so I will say that it was funny again. I liked it and would gladly watch it again. Good movie and great if you want to laugh because it is funny stuff. Really, watch it if you get a chance because it is just that good. Is that 10 lines yet? No it is not so I'm back here again to say.... funny movie..... I enjoyed watching it because it was so funny....... You might enjoy it too........Did I mention that it is a comedy and is a very, funny and entertaining movie. This is most certainly the last review I will ever write on IMDb. Really... now I've had enough!!

F**king brilliant

Author: Haaans from Denmark
11 May 2006

In 1997 I had the great experience of traveling throughout Australia for some months. As most people who have had the same experience should know, sometimes things get boring and you turn to TV and cinemas. My travel mate and I often went to cinemas in a period, and one of the films we watched was "The Castle". The movie left us in tears with laughter, maybe it somehow seemed to include a lot of the same humor we love from Danish films. A lot of the funny dialogs are somewhat similar to what we see in Scandinavian movies. This should not be seen as advertising European films though. Most people would consider this movie hilarious, and all in all I believe this movie is f**king brilliant, thumbs up to the Auzzies.

Taking the mickey out of the stereotype - and loving it!!!

Author: Ellen Perry from Brisbane, Australia
24 June 2002

OK, if some people believe that Australians are all as simple as the Kerrigans, then they're the ones who are simple. But this movie relies on the stereotype created by movies like Crocodile Dundee and wouldn't have gone as far as it did without it. And that's what makes it so funny - showing pride in this Aussie stereotype. And as simple as this movie is, the message is loud and clear. If there were more people like the Kerrigans, the world would be a better place, because their honest values ring true. When the government wants to aquire Darryl Kerrigan's house for an airport expansion, he won't stand for it, because it's not a just house, it's a home, with people who love and care for eachother. To quote the words of the great Bud Tingwell, or rather his character, Laurie Hammill, "a home is not built of bricks and water, but love and memories. You can't pay for it, and you're just short-changing people if you try."

The Funniest Movie I've ever seen!!!

Author: ivy-6 from Sydney Australia
25 December 2000

I've read the other reviews and all the Aussie viewers agree that this is the funniest movie ever. I watched it in an almost empty theatre on a wednesday matinee and I laughed so much the whole row of empty seats nearly tipped over (I always thought they were bolted to the floor) Coming from a family of "Trading Post" readers I wept the whole way through this film. To the Americans bewildered at this film - forget Crocodile Dundee and Priscilla, this film is how 90% of this country thinks and talks. And this is what we think is funny.

Laughs a-plenty, but a powerful message also.

Author: newcar-2 from Canberra
8 December 2000

Reading through the mainly enthusiastic comments appearing here about "The Castle", I can't help but feel that the main strength of this gem of a movie is being missed.

Rob Sitch and co. have managed to translate the ramifications of the historic Mabo Decision into terms every non-Aboriginal Australian can relate to. When Darryl Kerrigan remarks "I think I'm beginning to see how the Aborigines feel" (or words to that effect) and his wife replies "Have you been drinking, darl?", this is the very heart of the film. Love of home, of place. If you loved your home as much as the Kerrigans love theirs, wouldn't you fight all the way to the Supreme court to save it. Wouldn't you do an Eddie Mabo?

Most of us, of course, don't love our homes this way anymore, seeing them as simply rungs on the "home-ownership" ladder. So the Kerrigans must necessarily be people with modest needs, modest expectations and a great deal of love, to fight so tenaciously for their home when it doesn't even have "a big driveway" - sadly this seems to make them appear as somehow mentally deficient to some of the (american) reviewers on this site. Yes, they are sweet, they are "simple" - they also made an entire theatre audience stand up and cheer!

In short, a film with a lot more "smarts" than overseas audiences could fairly be expected to appreciate, but a film justifiably set to become an Aussie classic.

Think I'll take up trout fishing (ala "A River Somewhere") - must do wonders for the mind.

A lovable Aussie romp!

Author: the amorphousmachine from Australia
25 August 2000

I guess you would probably have to be Australian to understand some of the clever cultural jokes in this film! Saying that, Im sure audiences all over the world could find some entertainment and value to the story of the simple man leading the simple life. Maybe its a bittersweet reflection on our society when the main character is defending a house that is virtually noise polluted and ugly!

But hey, who cares right? The point of this film is that even though some things may seem worthless to some people, it can have an inner meaning to others! Its a story about appreciating what you've got and fighting for it, regardless of its monetary value! Okay so the Kerrigan family are uneducated simpletons, but they have a decent belief system and they appreciate the life they lead! They believe their home is paradise and soon as I watch more of this flick- I started to believe the same thing!

I really enjoyed this film and its simple message especially in a world where a successful family can get blurred with how much money they have! This is a great fun predictable film and its well worth a look, and Michael Caten is excellent! The Aussie brand of humour isn't for everyone and some of the jokes are a bit overdone, but the message is great! ***1/2 out of *****!

A superb comedy about family life

Author: John Taylor (jdtaylor@btinternet.com) from Bedfordshire, England
30 June 2000

You cant help but find this movie wonderfull. This is a Story about an Australian Family who live near an airport and have been summonsed with a compulsary purchase order on their house or should i say their HOME.

When you see how happy these people are as a family you feel that these people have everything, not material things but a love for each other that not many familys have. Their way life is threatened by by the airport company who want to take their home away. They take the corporate firm to court and......Watch it yourself and find out. you will love it. 8 out of 10