IMDb > The Castle (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Castle

The Castle More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 15: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

A great movie!

Author: teresahill from U.S.
12 June 2000

Beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder as the Kerrigan family's view of their home and neighborhood demonstrates. While an outsider might cringe at the sight of the house with numerous add-ons and a runway in the backyard, you are invited in to spend some time with the family and learn why "home" means so much to them.

The Kerrigans are a family that is tremendously supportive and loving to each other, weaving a rich history of happy memories together.

The story is told with humor and warmth, and, aside from a little rough language, would be a great family movie.

I loved it and would recommend it to anyone!

An Aussie Perspective

Author: Margaret from Melbourne, Australia
23 May 1999

Crocodile dundee is nothing on this heartwarming film. The Castle is filled with lovable characters, a good dose of Aussie humour and an outlook on life which makes one question their own standards and principles. Anne Tenney and Michael Caton form a realistic and touching couple, and Stephen Currey plays the role of Dale Kerrigan perfectly. Bud Tingwell also delights as the QC.

I could go on for hours about how good this film is, but instead I think I'll save my breath and just encourage everyone to give The Castle a go. It's worth every cent and more.

Brilliant Film

Author: ddn32 from Weimar, Germany
19 January 2003

I noticed a lot of Australians jumping to this film's defence in

earlier postings. Rest easy, Aussies, there are plenty of people

like me who seek Australian films whenever they are available.

This film has the right mix of comedy and sweet-heartedness that

seem to be a trademark of Australian films. My in laws were quite

happy when I returned with "The Castle"

My entire family agrees: The single greatest comedy of all-time.

Author: snowy_albino from New Zealand
17 December 2009

When I was young, there were several movies, such as "Liar, Liar", that I only enjoyed for the unsophisticated, slapstick parts, but as I grew up, I could appreciate the witty, sophisticated jokes peppered throughout. As a kid, I did not understand "The Castle" at all. Now that I'm older, it is my favourite comedy. Why? Because it ingeniously combines complex comedy and emotion, and has a delightful, incredibly subtle tongue-in-cheek approach. It challenges you to think how it could be better, but is totally victorious.

The characters are deliciously authentic and astonishingly likable, from the clueless Dennis Denuto to the almost unrealistically optimistic father. The dialogue is superbly witty, and the level of joy and heartbreak throughout is wonderfully affecting.

Perfect.

You have to see it at least 4 times

Author: maddsci33 from United States
29 June 2006

The first time you see this movie, confusion sets in. Then, later, when you're still thinking about how the bug zapper, the "sound of an outboard motor on full throttle" and "serenity" might go hand in hand, you finally laugh. A few days go by and you decide this movie might have something so you watchit again, and sure enough, the damned thing is funny. No not funny, HILARIOUS. Pretty soon you and all your co-workers are quoting lines such as "You're an ideas man, Steve!" and "It's the VIBE!" Watch it a few more times and it hits you, this movie is GENIUS. GENIUS I tell you. The dogs, the "pool-room" Bana as kickboxing Con, Trace and her "proud moments", Dale's hole-digging, Daryl's take on "serenity" and Sal's chicken dinner...all make up a movie that is both a tribute to the modern family as well as the modern King of his Castle.

Movies are such a great thing

Author: Ricardo Santos from Madrid, Spain
23 July 2002

Two things about this flick and about the movies generally talking: 1. I live a zillion miles away from Australia, a place where probably I'll never be, a country I have nothing in common with. It does not matter at all. For an hour and a half I´ve been living there, with one of the weirdest and lovable families ever seen. I´ve been another australian.

2. I hate law movies. I hate trials on a screen, with distinguished exceptions. I hate lost causes. I hate that David vs. Goliath stuff. I hate J. Grisham's books and adaptations. This film is all about that. But it a marvelous, enjoyable, laughable, tear-jerker, unforgettable film.

Thank you, Antipodes dwellers, for such a gift.

Simple, but funny story

Author: lylevb from Davenport, USA
13 May 2002

I've fallen in love with this movie. The main character reminds me (and my wife) of my father-in-law. He can't imagine that life could be any better than what he's got; a loving family and a house backed up to the airport, high power lines overhead, and lead in the back yard.

I like getting a glimpse in the life of a lower middle class Australian family. They seem very real to me. The humor rings true, also. "If there's one show my dad likes better than 'Funniest Home Videos', it's 'Best of Funniest Home Videos'"

The youngest son narrates the movie. This just adds a level to the humor. The son is about as simple as the father.

I highly recommend this movie, but my sister-in-law's comment was that that was 90 minutes she'll never get back, so I realize it's not for everyone,

Delightful!

Author: jack.hunter
27 February 2002

What a fun movie to enjoy over and over. Wonderful performances by the entire cast and the subtle hilarity of the dialogue gets funnier with each viewing. This is one of those rare films that every character evokes sympathy and makes you laugh at the same time. Like the Beach Boy song says, "Fun, Fun, Fun."

The great Australian movie.

Author: laam from Broomehill, Western Australia
31 December 2003

This movie is hilarious, Rob Stitch is a genius, he has captured the essence of Australia and put it on film. If you didn't say during the film at some stage "I know someone just like that!" then you are either not Australian or you are out of touch with the Aussie battler that was once in us all. The "moving of the cars" dialogue is classic and I have played on plenty of pool tables just like the one featured. 10/10.

Superb entertainer

Author: dushyant chaturvedi from India
8 December 2012

A man's home is his castle. That is what Daryl believes in. He lives with his wife, two sons, four grey hounds in his house which is right next to the airport in Melbourne. He has a daughter who has married a kick boxer (Eric Bana in one of his early cameos) and a son who is in prison on charge of robbing a gas station. Daryl's is a blissful existence. He loves his wife, compliments her cooking, and has fun with dogs and sons. The sons love their parents. However, their life is turned upside down when one day an eviction notice is served by the neighboring airport which needs the land for expansion. The movie is about Daryl's fight against the airport company. The acting by the largely unknown (to me) Australian cast is superb. Daryl is a total knockout and he will have you laughing with him throughout the runtime. The script is very witty and filled with great lines and quotable quotes. The characters are truly memorable. At a length of 80 minutes, this is breeze of a movie. It starts slowly and then grows on you. You will be sad when it ends. 4 out of 5 for The Castle. Superb entertainer.