IMDb > The Castle (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Castle

The Castle More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 15: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

An Aussie Perspective

Author: Margaret from Melbourne, Australia
23 May 1999

Crocodile dundee is nothing on this heartwarming film. The Castle is filled with lovable characters, a good dose of Aussie humour and an outlook on life which makes one question their own standards and principles. Anne Tenney and Michael Caton form a realistic and touching couple, and Stephen Currey plays the role of Dale Kerrigan perfectly. Bud Tingwell also delights as the QC.

I could go on for hours about how good this film is, but instead I think I'll save my breath and just encourage everyone to give The Castle a go. It's worth every cent and more.

Brilliant Film

Author: ddn32 from Weimar, Germany
19 January 2003

I noticed a lot of Australians jumping to this film's defence in

earlier postings. Rest easy, Aussies, there are plenty of people

like me who seek Australian films whenever they are available.

This film has the right mix of comedy and sweet-heartedness that

seem to be a trademark of Australian films. My in laws were quite

happy when I returned with "The Castle"

Like "Ray Bradbury's Wonderful Ice Cream Suit" but Australian

Author: jessewillis from Canada
20 June 2000

Like Ray Bradbury's Wonderful Ice Cream Suit but Australian. Well maybe not exactly like "Wonderful Ice Cream Suit" but it surely has the same inner beauty.

Ignore the quotes on the video's cover they utterly fail to capture what this film is about. Whoever designed the cover has obviously not seen the film. It is nothing like Crocodile Dundee or The Full Monty. And you will stop laughing it is more touching and heartwarming than it is hilarious.

Go, go now, stop reading this and go out and get a copy of The Castle. Gather up your loved ones because this should be a family experience.

The Kerrigans lead a simple life but then their simple themselves. They are tremendously supportive and loving. Their material wealth is next to nil, but the family makes lemons out of all the lemonades life gives them. Every meal is a banquet, every anecdote is a saga.

Lets face facts, Australians make the best films! Hollywood makes some good films but the Australians always seem to make better ones. Too Wong Foo Thanks For nothing when you can have Priscilla Queen of The Desert and The Castle. Go out right now and find a copy of The Castle. Don't expect convulsive laughs like in There Is Something About Mary. Expect giggles and a renewal in your faith in humanity. Are you still reading this? Go, I said go, go out and get The Castle!

My entire family agrees: The single greatest comedy of all-time.

Author: snowy_albino from New Zealand
17 December 2009

When I was young, there were several movies, such as "Liar, Liar", that I only enjoyed for the unsophisticated, slapstick parts, but as I grew up, I could appreciate the witty, sophisticated jokes peppered throughout. As a kid, I did not understand "The Castle" at all. Now that I'm older, it is my favourite comedy. Why? Because it ingeniously combines complex comedy and emotion, and has a delightful, incredibly subtle tongue-in-cheek approach. It challenges you to think how it could be better, but is totally victorious.

The characters are deliciously authentic and astonishingly likable, from the clueless Dennis Denuto to the almost unrealistically optimistic father. The dialogue is superbly witty, and the level of joy and heartbreak throughout is wonderfully affecting.

Perfect.

You have to see it at least 4 times

Author: maddsci33 from United States
29 June 2006

The first time you see this movie, confusion sets in. Then, later, when you're still thinking about how the bug zapper, the "sound of an outboard motor on full throttle" and "serenity" might go hand in hand, you finally laugh. A few days go by and you decide this movie might have something so you watchit again, and sure enough, the damned thing is funny. No not funny, HILARIOUS. Pretty soon you and all your co-workers are quoting lines such as "You're an ideas man, Steve!" and "It's the VIBE!" Watch it a few more times and it hits you, this movie is GENIUS. GENIUS I tell you. The dogs, the "pool-room" Bana as kickboxing Con, Trace and her "proud moments", Dale's hole-digging, Daryl's take on "serenity" and Sal's chicken dinner...all make up a movie that is both a tribute to the modern family as well as the modern King of his Castle.

Movies are such a great thing

Author: Ricardo Santos from Madrid, Spain
23 July 2002

Two things about this flick and about the movies generally talking: 1. I live a zillion miles away from Australia, a place where probably I'll never be, a country I have nothing in common with. It does not matter at all. For an hour and a half I´ve been living there, with one of the weirdest and lovable families ever seen. I´ve been another australian.

2. I hate law movies. I hate trials on a screen, with distinguished exceptions. I hate lost causes. I hate that David vs. Goliath stuff. I hate J. Grisham's books and adaptations. This film is all about that. But it a marvelous, enjoyable, laughable, tear-jerker, unforgettable film.

Thank you, Antipodes dwellers, for such a gift.

Simple, but funny story

Author: lylevb from Davenport, USA
13 May 2002

I've fallen in love with this movie. The main character reminds me (and my wife) of my father-in-law. He can't imagine that life could be any better than what he's got; a loving family and a house backed up to the airport, high power lines overhead, and lead in the back yard.

I like getting a glimpse in the life of a lower middle class Australian family. They seem very real to me. The humor rings true, also. "If there's one show my dad likes better than 'Funniest Home Videos', it's 'Best of Funniest Home Videos'"

The youngest son narrates the movie. This just adds a level to the humor. The son is about as simple as the father.

I highly recommend this movie, but my sister-in-law's comment was that that was 90 minutes she'll never get back, so I realize it's not for everyone,

Delightful!

Author: jack.hunter
27 February 2002

What a fun movie to enjoy over and over. Wonderful performances by the entire cast and the subtle hilarity of the dialogue gets funnier with each viewing. This is one of those rare films that every character evokes sympathy and makes you laugh at the same time. Like the Beach Boy song says, "Fun, Fun, Fun."

Hilarious story, great movie that will make you ROFLYAO

Author: Lars-Toralf Storstrand from Haugesund, Norway
13 November 2001

This is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. Incredible. IT even might have been a real story, that shows that the only thing that can battle bureacracy is simplicity. If you don't get a severe case of ROFLYAO by this movie, go see the doctor.

BTW: ROFLYAO = Rolling On (the) Floor Laughing Your Ass Off

Very intense, for a funny movie

Author: John-196 from Derwood, MD
5 March 2000

We really enjoyed this movie. It was very amusing, although not uproariously funny. The very strange aspect was that I got a headache from concentrating so hard on it. Every word that comes out of the characters' mouths (in a thick Australian accent) seems critical and precious - not to be missed. Definitely worth seeing, especially if you like "off-beat" comedies.