IMDb > The Castle (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 11 of 15: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Brilliant Aussie comedy

Author: (erthling_2@hotmail.com) from Australia
23 July 2000

If your an aussie, and hated this movie its impossible. When Tow Truck Driver Daryl Kerrigan (brillian Michael Caton), who lives right next to the airport, he is forced to move, with a compulsory aquasition, and being a dinkum aussie that he is asks for help in his son's lawyer Denis Denuto (Tirel Mora, who lost Daryls sons case) Daryl likes him, and even says "But ya did ya best" when Denise reminds Daryl he lost the case.

But when Daryl by chance meets Judge Laurie Hammil (aussie tv/movie veteran Bud Tingwell) he takes it to the high court. One of the funniest, if not THE funniest aussie movie ever made.

Look at us, we're lovin' it

Author: The red capsicum from Brisbane, Australia
14 June 2000

This is one of those subtle movies that the more you watch it, the more it gets into your soul. My family and friends use a lot of quotes from the movie and it never fails to bring some laughs. I don't care that the Americans didn't like it as much, I want to keep it all for ourselves. Rob Sitch and co. are geniuses, truly champagne comedy!!

An absolute riot!

Author: BEAR-132 from Sydney, Australia
13 February 2000

I thought this film was very funny, very clever and very charming. However, I think it helps to have grown up in Australia to fully appreciate the humour. I can see many of the funniest jokes being totally lost on a non-Aussie audience.

I saw this film on an international flight. My wife said that I was the only one on the plane who was laughing. She said that I was laughing so loudly that she wanted to disown me. For those who get the joke, this movie is a classic. Others will either appreciate it as an enjoyable, low-budget comedy or be totally bewildered how anyone could find this funny.

I highly recommend this film to anyone who is a fan of "The Late Show" and "Frontline". I guarantee you will absolutely love this film.

Often hilarious tale of one family's fight

Author: David Logan (logandb@excite.com) from Melbourne, Australia
2 January 2000

Fans of The Late Show and Frontline from Australian television will love this playfully satirical little fable about the Kerrigan family and their fight against eviction from their home.

Full of sharp tongue-in-cheek humour and a perfectly-toned narration, it keeps the laughs coming right until the end.

Wonderful but ultimately disappointing

Author: Spleen from Canberra, Australia
9 December 1999

The writers of `The Castle' are stars, possibly even saviours, of Australian television - responsible for `The D-Generation' (promising), `The Late Show' (probably the funniest show our country has produced), and `Frontline' (a scathing Australian version of Canada's `The Newsroom' and Britain's `Drop the Dead Donkey', but much better than either). It was with `Frontline' that they demonstrated their ability to turn out tight scripts in no time at all. Then they made `The Castle' - written, so they say, in less than a week.

They should have taken longer. Cinema isn't television. It's funny, as you'd expect; and however manipulative it may be you'll surely be charmed the first time you see it. But I've recently seen it a second time - it was a bit of a downer. The sentimental moments are often too glibly inserted, and it's astonishing how little happens to resolve the story. The ending is really, and I find it painful to say this, an utter cheat.

Still, humour is humour: nothing can detract from that. I'm not at all sorry the film did so well at the box office. I just hope that Cilauro, Gleisner and Sitch trust themselves enough to aim higher the next time around.

Funniest Australian film ever made !

Author: Legend-21 from Australia
5 October 1999

This movie is really great in many ways. The first five minutes are really funny. The things the kerrigans do are funny and there a lot of hidden jokes that make you laugh. The funniest bit is where they go to bonnie doon and have a holiday. I recommend this to anyone who wants a really good laugh. My favourite characters are Feruk and Denes Denuto.

Best Aussie Movie Ever Made!!!

Author: DaRuler from Melbourne, Australia
20 September 1999

The Castle has to be the best Australian movie ever to be made. Its humorous, compelling and loveable cast and crew make this movie an all time purchase, where ever you are in the world.

We can write movies too!

Author: krash from Melbourne, Australia
2 August 1999

Australia isn't known for it's high speed car chases and jumping of high-rise buildings kinds of movies. For us, nothing will beat a good story and a good laugh. A good laugh? The Castle tops this. A side-splitting nonstop laugh! Anyone who liked this movie has seen it a least twice. Not because they wanted to see it again, because they had to see it again. You miss so much the first time too. Everyone is laughing so hard, you have to see it a second to get the parts you missed, and then you see it a third, and a fourth, and then buy it on video. It isn't a big screen movie, though it is fun to watch it with a lot of people to have a good laugh with.

This movie wasn't anything big and drastic. The script took five days, the filming took eleven. Just for the record, the house used really is there. There is really a family that live nextdoor to the airport! They just borrowed the house for a few of days!

This is a classic upon classic. The only reason it didn't win an oscar was because it wasn't released in America until a couple of years later (it was actually released the same week as the phantom menace). For Aussies, it's a fantastic movie. A lot of people can see themselves as the Kerrigans, with the trading posts and the Camira, Commodore and Torana.

This is the perfect movie and it deserves nothing less than five stars.

I laughed till I cried

Author: placebo-5 from Melbourne, Australia
11 July 1999

This is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. The story of a poor family battling against the government is uplifting, augmented by the strong bonds we see between the members of the Kerrigan family. A story which enforces our tendency to barrack for the underdog, while keeping us more than entertained. The humour is clever and at times quite subtle. A movie which won't offend anyone and is guaranteed to have any person with a sense of humour rolling on the floor with laughter.

The funniest movie I've ever seen: quote after quote after quote!

Author: Jenni-12 from Melbourne, Australia
10 July 1999

I first saw this movie at a 16th birthday party sleepover with my friends; it's now the most quoted movie in our year level at KAGS! "Kickboxing, 24 hours, a daay!" "Dad, I dug another 'ole." We love this movie, and so will you!

Page 11 of 15: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]