IMDb > The Castle (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 11 of 15: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

very very funny

Author: digger_c from Australia
28 December 2001

So hilarious! I totally understand that some people won't like this film, and not because it's an "Australian" film. It just appeals to a certain type of humour. But I thought it was very funny. Some great bits:

The $15 "genuine Rolex" - "He said he'd mail the warrantee later"

The "As seen on TV" sign outside Dennis Denuto's office at the end

Darryl Kerrigan's version of a patio

"There was only one thing Dad liked better than Hey Hey It's Saturday, and that was The Best of Hey Hey It's Saturday."

Darryl's love of the power lines and "Man's ability to generate electricity"

Coco's son, named "Son of Coco"

The great thing about living right next to an airport is that you can walk home!

"Just the ... vibe of the whole thing."

Local knowledege makes this movie!!!

Author: OZBUGS ( from Melbourne
10 August 2000

I have seen this movie a few times on video and catch it regularly channel surfing on Foxtel. I cannot seem to change the channel after that. A smirk always emerges and I am in disbelief that a feeling this good has been captured on film. Maybe its the "VIBE". Working dog, the films writers and producers have done for "The Castle" what Larry David and Jerry did for Sienfeld. Did you ever notice!!! We find Sienfeld funny here only because so much of our programming on TV here is American so we understand most of the jokes.

There are so many Local 'isms' that even some Aussies out of Melbourne or in the outback won't get some of the laughs. (Kerrigans Tows trucks and Wogs and cash for Example) I would think the morals of the story would transfer across well to other countries but it would not be the hilarious movie that I found it to be.

I am sure in the states New Yorkers would find even funnier stuff out of Sienfeld with things like the Soup Nazi, car parks, and who is that guy from the yankees?

The Castle truly captures a simple Aussie family, those that find it unfunny are those who are it and those that cannot relate to it (Wealthy). Most Australian families particularly those that had kids in the late sixties, seventies and early eighties have been in the Kerrigans position before or have family that is. The Torana, Boat, Cortina, Commodore line is part of Australian culture and can be seen in many homes thoughout the country.

The best Australian movie ever made and if you have ever lived here it is a must see. I have a copy in MY "pool room".

Brilliant Aussie comedy

Author: ( from Australia
23 July 2000

If your an aussie, and hated this movie its impossible. When Tow Truck Driver Daryl Kerrigan (brillian Michael Caton), who lives right next to the airport, he is forced to move, with a compulsory aquasition, and being a dinkum aussie that he is asks for help in his son's lawyer Denis Denuto (Tirel Mora, who lost Daryls sons case) Daryl likes him, and even says "But ya did ya best" when Denise reminds Daryl he lost the case.

But when Daryl by chance meets Judge Laurie Hammil (aussie tv/movie veteran Bud Tingwell) he takes it to the high court. One of the funniest, if not THE funniest aussie movie ever made.

Look at us, we're lovin' it

Author: The red capsicum from Brisbane, Australia
14 June 2000

This is one of those subtle movies that the more you watch it, the more it gets into your soul. My family and friends use a lot of quotes from the movie and it never fails to bring some laughs. I don't care that the Americans didn't like it as much, I want to keep it all for ourselves. Rob Sitch and co. are geniuses, truly champagne comedy!!

An absolute riot!

Author: BEAR-132 from Sydney, Australia
13 February 2000

I thought this film was very funny, very clever and very charming. However, I think it helps to have grown up in Australia to fully appreciate the humour. I can see many of the funniest jokes being totally lost on a non-Aussie audience.

I saw this film on an international flight. My wife said that I was the only one on the plane who was laughing. She said that I was laughing so loudly that she wanted to disown me. For those who get the joke, this movie is a classic. Others will either appreciate it as an enjoyable, low-budget comedy or be totally bewildered how anyone could find this funny.

I highly recommend this film to anyone who is a fan of "The Late Show" and "Frontline". I guarantee you will absolutely love this film.

Often hilarious tale of one family's fight

Author: David Logan ( from Melbourne, Australia
2 January 2000

Fans of The Late Show and Frontline from Australian television will love this playfully satirical little fable about the Kerrigan family and their fight against eviction from their home.

Full of sharp tongue-in-cheek humour and a perfectly-toned narration, it keeps the laughs coming right until the end.

Wonderful but ultimately disappointing

Author: Spleen from Canberra, Australia
9 December 1999

The writers of `The Castle' are stars, possibly even saviours, of Australian television - responsible for `The D-Generation' (promising), `The Late Show' (probably the funniest show our country has produced), and `Frontline' (a scathing Australian version of Canada's `The Newsroom' and Britain's `Drop the Dead Donkey', but much better than either). It was with `Frontline' that they demonstrated their ability to turn out tight scripts in no time at all. Then they made `The Castle' - written, so they say, in less than a week.

They should have taken longer. Cinema isn't television. It's funny, as you'd expect; and however manipulative it may be you'll surely be charmed the first time you see it. But I've recently seen it a second time - it was a bit of a downer. The sentimental moments are often too glibly inserted, and it's astonishing how little happens to resolve the story. The ending is really, and I find it painful to say this, an utter cheat.

Still, humour is humour: nothing can detract from that. I'm not at all sorry the film did so well at the box office. I just hope that Cilauro, Gleisner and Sitch trust themselves enough to aim higher the next time around.

Funniest Australian film ever made !

Author: Legend-21 from Australia
5 October 1999

This movie is really great in many ways. The first five minutes are really funny. The things the kerrigans do are funny and there a lot of hidden jokes that make you laugh. The funniest bit is where they go to bonnie doon and have a holiday. I recommend this to anyone who wants a really good laugh. My favourite characters are Feruk and Denes Denuto.

Best Aussie Movie Ever Made!!!

Author: DaRuler from Melbourne, Australia
20 September 1999

The Castle has to be the best Australian movie ever to be made. Its humorous, compelling and loveable cast and crew make this movie an all time purchase, where ever you are in the world.

We can write movies too!

Author: krash from Melbourne, Australia
2 August 1999

Australia isn't known for it's high speed car chases and jumping of high-rise buildings kinds of movies. For us, nothing will beat a good story and a good laugh. A good laugh? The Castle tops this. A side-splitting nonstop laugh! Anyone who liked this movie has seen it a least twice. Not because they wanted to see it again, because they had to see it again. You miss so much the first time too. Everyone is laughing so hard, you have to see it a second to get the parts you missed, and then you see it a third, and a fourth, and then buy it on video. It isn't a big screen movie, though it is fun to watch it with a lot of people to have a good laugh with.

This movie wasn't anything big and drastic. The script took five days, the filming took eleven. Just for the record, the house used really is there. There is really a family that live nextdoor to the airport! They just borrowed the house for a few of days!

This is a classic upon classic. The only reason it didn't win an oscar was because it wasn't released in America until a couple of years later (it was actually released the same week as the phantom menace). For Aussies, it's a fantastic movie. A lot of people can see themselves as the Kerrigans, with the trading posts and the Camira, Commodore and Torana.

This is the perfect movie and it deserves nothing less than five stars.

Page 11 of 15: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]