IMDb > Casper: A Spirited Beginning (1997) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Casper: A Spirited Beginning

Casper: A Spirited Beginning (V) More at IMDbPro »

Author: ADG-81 from ADG's World
1 July 2004

I loved the first movie, and I still do... I can't believe they ruined this sequel... there shouldn't have been any sequel in the first place anyway...

It's not just the boring story that annoys me, but the fact they changed the story. The first movie takes place after this movie, where they mention a lot of things from the past, but in this movie they just ignored the history lesson from the first movie, and completely rewrite Casper's history...

You remember in the first movie Casper used to live in the house? In this movie he only found this house my 'accident', without having ever lived there before...

I hate when they change important parts of the story in films... :shame:

What a load of rubbish!

Author: dsnw43253 from liverpool
3 November 2002

Considering this was made AFTER the original Casper, the effects are a lot worse. The acting is diabolical and the story is terrible. The only thing that is any good in this film is James Earl Jones' voice. I do understand that this is SUPPOSED to be a kids movie but for very little kids it might be a little scary and for very big kids, they'll have a field day ripping into this movie. Enough said I think.

A waste of time

Author: Christopher Smith
20 May 2001

I saw CASPER: A SPIRITED BEGINNING on the Fox Family channel almost a year and a half ago. I saw it a couple more times on the Fox Family channel during the past year, but not because I liked it. I watched it because there was nothing else to watch. Although I should have turned off the television and done something active, I didn't because I'm a lazy boy. Anyway, CASPER: A SPIRITED BEGINNING is truly a bad movie. It is one of those corny direct-to-video family movies about growing up. It's about a science-fiction nerd named Chris who is always getting into fights with his father. One day, Chris meets Casper and they form a friendship. If that sounds entertaining to you then you will probably love CASPER: A SPIRITED BEGINNING. For me, this was a waste of time. The dialogue was cheap, the acting was awful, and it is absolutely nowhere near as good as the 1995 CASPER movie starring Bill Pullman. Instead of watching the sequel, watch the original.

Just plain awful

Author: Willow192 from Orlando, Florida
19 March 2001

I have to admit, that I did like Casper. But I hated this movie. I think it premiered on FOX Family or something. It's going back to before the first Casper. This is the most horrible remake I have ever seen. It seems like one of those made for FOX Family movies. The little kid playing Chris Carson is a horrible actor. He practically screams out his lines and sounds like he is reading from cue cards the whole time. Steve Guttenburg, who's career can be summed up as dead alive, was extremely mediocre in this movie. But hey, if Hollywood bigshots won't take you, you can at least display you 'talent' on movies like this, that are corny enough to feed all of the starving people in China. The redeeming character was Lori Loughlan, who was the only person on 'Full House' that I could stand. But she couldn't save this movie. The most insulting part in the movie is when the little ugly girl from 'Big Bad Beetle Borgs' (ewww) jumps into Chris's arms in fear, and Chris says "Casper, I like the effect you on on people!". CORNY! I hated the way the ghosts looked...and how the exceeded the normal amount of obnoxiousness. Don't watch this movie. Avoid it at all costs. It's nothing special. Score: 1 out of 10.

Terrible.

Author: Becky (dreams_break_like_glass) from United Kingdom
25 April 2005

The 1995 movie is my favourite movie of all time, with great voice-overs and touching performances and a good plot. This was the first Casper flick made by Power Ranger creators Saban, and can't you tell. It's dire. There's no continuity with the first film, many, many character errors, terrible acting, ridiculous plot and the story was awful. Awful. And to make it even worse they came out with two more tripe sequels after this one. Oh woe. Bring back the animated series (based on the '95 movie), that was better than the three shabby sequels put together, and then some!

Please, please, don't waste your money on this. I wouldn't even buy it for a very young child. Even they can tell that this is just a sad rip-off, riding on the first films success.

Some good talent is badly wasted.

Author: Arthur Bernstein (ABernst100@aol.com) from Florida, USA
16 June 2002

"Casper" scares most of the cast away while trying to save a house from being demolished. Look fast for "Starship Trooper" star Casper Van Dien as an applauding bystander. Take note: Van Dien also appears in the other video "Casper Meets Wendy" when he passes Wendy's aunts at a party.

A bad sequel to a good movie

Author: Brandon (horrormvfn@aol.com) from here
24 January 1999

This wasn't very good at all. It had corny acting and dorky dialogue. The special effects and the ghosts were the best part. 3 out of 10.

Casper: A Spirited Beginning

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
11 July 2005

This is basically an excuse for a prequel to the original and quite successful family film, but it is just another crap failure. This straight to video film tells the story of the friendly good-natured young ghoul that we have grown to love (not in this), and how he became a ghost. Casper begins on a train filled with ghosts, then he goes to the city and discovers he is a ghost. The only problems is that he does not want to scare people, he wants to make friends. He becomes friends with a young boy, but he is told by three other ghosts that he shouldn't be friendly. This is just corny, stupid comedy, alright animation and rubbish acting. Poor!

Watch the 1995 film.

Author: aaronmocksing1987 from United States
18 May 2008

To anyone who has said this movie was better than the original movie, I must say I don't agree with you both. The other film had finesse, taking a simple thing like a comic book and cartoon character from the days of animation yore and made it into something with heart, comedy, brilliance, rolled into a neat little package. Either this was made simply to cash in on the previous movie's success or Casper's name alone, because I found all of the continuity errors completely destroying the film more than anything else.

This is a prequel? No talent was put together into even writing a decent script, and the acting is... oh lord. Steven Guttenberg, sir, I believe you ought to go back and continue doing Police Academy again. I guess the 80's thing hasn't left you so please, go back with it.

And the sad part of this movie is, it's just one in the following sequels that would come that would make Casper ought to consider being as ticked off as the Ghostly trio themselves. Someone stop, or at least get some people to reinvigorate the heart that went into Kat and Dr. Harvey in the original movie.

Awful

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
12 June 2011

I really like the 1995 original movie, it was cute and charming and worked really well as a family film. Casper and Wendy was mediocre and forgettable, but this movie was just a waste of time. The only half-decent things about it were the way the ghosts looked and the costume and set design. The other effects look cheap and the rushed editing doesn't give them any favours. The story is a mess, not only is it paced unevenly and thin, but like re-writing Casper's history it is so contradictory, while the script is deplorable severely lacking in genuine humour and heart, the slapstick is tedious and tired and other than Casper there are no likable characters. The acting is pretty much rubbish from almost all involved, with the ghostly uncle trio are more annoying than funny, in fact only Casper walks away with any dignity. All in all, awful and a waste of time. 1/10 Bethany Cox