IMDb > Vigo (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Vigo More at IMDbPro »

Haunting, yet uplifting

Author: teri_2 from USA
22 June 2002

This is a gloriously beautiful film. Jean Vigo was an immense talent born ahead of his time. Seeing this made me want to see the real works of Vigo. I was extremely touched by the love share between Jean an his wife, Lydu. Frain and Bohringer (sp?) have such a natural chemistry as the ill-fated famous couple. It breaks my heart to know how he/they suffered. Yes, he was extremely ill with tuberculosis...and realized he had limited time to realize his dreams as a film-maker, but the true suffering he endured came in the form of the French censors, who banned or butched his work based only on the fact that his father was considered a traitor and an anarchist...so, Jean suffered by association.

Despite his and Lydu's terminal illness, and the prejudices they had to live with, their's is really an uplifting story of undying love, faith, and committment to each other. They lived fuller lives than most of us ever will, experienced truer love than most of us will ever be fortunate enough to have, and realized more of their dreams and goals than most of us could ever hope to. And, Jean did all of this in a life that lasted only 29 years. This movie brings to vivid life the love, losses, tragedies, and triumphs of Jean Vigo and his beautiful wife. It emphasises how important they were to one another.

All in all, this is a true gem of a movie. Beautiful and touching love story, endearing characters through out, excellent and extremely dedicated cast, superbly shot with gorgeous scenery...a film that breaks your heart, but it also lifts you up as well...because of the power of love and the power of believing in one's self. My only complaint is that I would have liked to have seen a bit more of Vigo actually working on his films. They did show this, but more of it would have been very welcome.

Anyway, if you love love stories, or are a fan of Jean Vigo, see this film. You'll adore it.

Julien Temple's inspired telling of French filmmaker Jean Vigo's passions, beautifully shot and acted, but sadly, overlooked.

Author: metalawter from New York, USA
17 June 2002

Sighhh.....I continue to be dismayed that "Vigo" never did better box office wise, and that more than a couple of critics seemed lukewarm or worse to it. I suppose I did have a positive "chick-flick" reaction to it as a love story. But I only like well done chick flicks!

I think that part of the problem is the pre-set attitudes mainstream film people may have towards Julian Temple. I've seen the documentary he did on the Sex Pistols, and "Absolute Beginners". They both left me scratching my head a bit. I love people who have range and take risks. He is CERTAINLY not a mainstream filmmaker! And yet, "Vigo" is an almost classically made thing of beauty. The cinematography was excellent and at times breathtaking, while never taking away from the flow of action. I was delightfully surprised by that, besides just being blown away by the performances of James Frain and Romane Bohringer especially. They were very well supported by the rest of the cast.

And this nonsense over English actors playing French characters! I've read more than one comment about that. Have you people NO imagination? If so, then stick to the History Channel or read only encyclopedias! Actors "act", they are not all doing reconstructed scenes for "Americas Most Wanted". These actors did a wonderful job at telling their story.

I really think that critics may have gone into this film with their own preconceived notions as to what needed to be said about Jean Vigo (as one may do with any bio-pic), and believed that Julian Temple couldn't deliver it. On it's own, disregarding a campaign FOR something comprehensive on Jean Vigo's career or AGAINST Julian Temple's, I believe that this film is a beautiful love story and a well told tale of a short life full of passion.

Good intentions, bad script.

Author: YadotYadEht from United Kingdom
28 May 2011

I've heard confusingly mixed things about this film, and after seeing it for myself I realise why some people like it. Julien Temple et al made it with obvious passion and love. True romantics, who prize passion above all things, will be dazzled by this movie. However, to my regret I feel that Vigo: A Passion for Life has very little actual quality.

Possibly it didn't have enough content. Possibly the writers loved the real Jean Vigo too much to add more fiction to his life. It needed more twists and turns, more story. As it stands, the movie would have been much better if it had been half the length of a feature film. Even in 1998 film festivals would have accepted a 40-minute short film. It would have been much stronger.

Another problem was the melodrama. Theatrics is such a dangerous road to go down when you're trying to be heartfelt. If you're telling an amorous tale of passion, love and death, it's a distinctly bad thing when your audience sighs "oh for God's sake, stop it" upon seeing one of the characters storm dramatically out of the room for the millionth time.

Over-the-top is amateurish. That's why it's called OVER the top. There's nothing wrong with a bit of theatrics, but they should be used infrequently and to great effect, as opposed to in every single scene.

If it was a tribute to flailing French drama then fine. But do it in French.

In a film desperate to make every scene affecting and meaningful, only two stood out for me as at all worthwhile. In one, Vigo speaks to his little daughter over the phone, and claps his hand over the mouthpiece every few seconds to hide the hoarseness of his dying breaths from her. And in a surprisingly underplayed death scene, Vigo and his wife Lydu lie asleep in bed, her hand resting on his chest to feel it rising and falling with every breath. He dies subtly, like he's been punctured and is finally out of breath, and Lydu's hand jolts awake upon his dead chest. Seconds ago they could have said their goodbyes.

The acting is quite good. The dark and dashing James Frain has ambled down a slightly odd career path since Vigo, and here, youthful and fresh-faced (and inexplicably signing up for full-frontal nudity), he plays the infamous French filmmaker. I think Frain had quite a muddled character to work with. Jean Vigo was a real man, but he's also a character. The writers didn't build the character well. His key trait is evidently supposed to be passion, but he didn't seem any more passionate than the next man. If I hadn't seen his real films, only this one, I would ask what's so special about Jean Vigo.

Lydu wasn't passionate either. She was hysterical. She was all over the place with her feelings, she appeared to be in love with another man, and she did nothing whatsoever to deserve Vigo. One of the reviews claims she can get away with it because she's a "French beauty". I don't want to cause offence – I only bring this up because it seemed to have a part to play in the actual story – but the character of Lydu was, to my eyes, very unattractive indeed, especially (ironically) as a bride. "His beautiful wife" is part of the movie's pitch. Even if I did find Lydu beautiful, I wouldn't think it excused her mad behaviour.

Vigo: A Passion for Life had some exquisite, dappled shots, a couple of original and touching scenes, and a strong lead actor. And I thought the TB hospital was fascinating. But the writers let the side down. I could feel the love the makers had for Jean Vigo. But the story didn't hold its own: it didn't have a CORE. Was it passion? Love? Sanity? Illness? Mortality? Voice? Adulthood? It was none of those things really. The core was just... biography. Sometimes, to write a movie, you need to get a good night's sleep, put a pin in your frenzied adoration, and work on structure, plot, and something that will get your movie a fanbase of more than a small handful of besotted romantics.