IMDb > The Brave (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Brave

The Brave More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Everyone should watch it if they have the chance, but don't expect to go away smiling.

Author: Calico_Padmez from England
26 January 2004

Wow. I just watched The Brave. Before I saw it, I knew that it was the only film which Johnny Depp has directed. After seeing it, I can add 'unfortunately' to the beginning of the fact. In every film that he's been in, nevermind the quality of the film itself, Johnny Depp has always given a wonderful performance. As a director, he's no different. The Brave is truly outstanding. How to describe the film? It's impossibly really. All I can say is...wow. Every actor is great. It's hard to get good child actors, but here it had been done. Johnny Depp is fantastic as usual, the wife is brilliant too. I don't think that there is a single performance that I would criticise. With the film, I did something that I've never done before - I didn't move for the last 10 or 20 minutes, and when it was over, I just sat through the credits completely in shock, crying. I even stayed in front of the DVD menu for a while afterwards, completely still. How anyone can call this film 'boring' is beyond me. Heartbreaking, uncomfortable, yes, but it is far from boring. Everyone should watch The Brave if they have the chance, but don't expect to go away smiling.

A movie worth watching!

Author: makent01 from USA
27 October 2003

I expected this movie to be a real "stinker" based on comments I had seen. But I was pleasantly surprised to see how good a movie it is. It is a powerful story about desperate people and should have received more attention and respect than it did. The movie could use some work in places, but it deserves to be released.

it lingers

Author: who cares (bijindesu2@yahoo.com) from usa
29 October 2003

I just saw this movie on DVD. As soon as I finished watching, I felt I had to see it again.

The thought of being killed for money may sound bizarre, but in this movie, it's very realistic.

The movie caught the mindset of a man about to be sacrified very well and you could feel the intensity. It neither condemned nor aprove his decision. But his actions all made sense, so we sympathize but not pity him.

Johnny Depp played the role so well, he was able to convince us that he was just doing his best to help his beloved family.

Beautiful movie. Depp is an excellent director andactor.

Author: Fernando Padron (ferpadron@hotmail.com) from Mexico City, Mexico
29 April 1999

At the first glance one could believe that "The Brave" is an action movie: a desperate man enters in the wrong place and he has to run away in order to keep himself alive. For those who love the adventures and action movies this one could be the prefect beginning for another one. Instead, the film moves into the philosophical reflection of meaning of life and death. The story is about love and struggling against fatality.

Depp gives us a beautiful movie that shows an excellent director: the photography is wonderful, the first sequence is hallucinant; the only regret is that it remembers Jarmush's "Dead Man".

slow, sad film about poverty and braveness; respectable first-time directing work by Depp

Author: FieCrier from Upstate New York
17 February 2005

I had read an article in a waiting room Entertainment Weekly while getting a punctured tire repaired, an article about unreleased (or little-released) films and albums by big-name directors and artists. An internet search indicates this was "Buried Treasure" by Tim Carvell in issue # 795, December 3, 2004. One of them was this film, unreleased in the US, but available on DVD in the UK. Happily I own a region-free player that does PAL-NTSC conversion (I wish they would abolish regional encoding!), and the DVD on the UK Amazon site was relatively cheap, so I ordered it.

I'm surprised to see that the author of the novel this film was adapted from was the author of the Fletch series! This is entirely different.

Johnny Depp plays a native American living with his wife, son, and daughter in a small trailer in a shantytown next to a garbage dump in the desert. Days seem to be spent mostly sleeping. He goes to town to apply for a job a man in a bar told him about. He goes to a pretty shady place, and we learn what the job is (reading the DVD box would tell you the same thing): to be tortured and killed (presumably on film) for $50,000. He's given some money up front (at least a couple thousand, not sure how much), and a week before he has to come back to do the job. Evidently in the book he's only offered $30,000 and given $200 up front!

He goes back home, and doesn't do much initially, but then tries bonding more with his family, who he'd grown apart from while drinking. He spends the money on things that delight his kids, but seem pretty frivolous. His wife is worried he's robbed a store or done something else that will get him put in jail again. He hopes the money will help his family move up in life, and it comes at an opportune time, since the shantytown is due to be demolished.

It's a bit longer than I think it need be, about two hours. However, it is well directed. I think Johnny Depp did a good job with it.

Marlon Brando's role is pretty small. He'd worked with Depp before in Don Juan DeMarco (1995), quite a different movie than this one! Iggy Pop, who worked on the soundtrack has a short cameo as a man at a fiesta eating a giant drumstick.

A must see

Author: kimclark12 from United States
2 November 2005

Once again Johnny Depp proves to us what a great talent he is, not only with his acting, but directing as well. His long time career and affiliation with such talented directors shows.

This movie had me mesmerized. It's beginning so quiet and the outcome leaving me in tears. The photography was beautiful leaving me feel that although the people were extremely poor, they had what they needed because they had each other. The sacrifice that Rafael makes is beyond love, beyond money.

It struck me while watching the scene between Marlon Brando and Johnny Depp that Johnny is the young Brando. The scene so intense the two actors on the same level. Wow.

Johnny Depp has once again outdone himself and I will look forward to whatever else he has to offer us whether it be acting or directing. This is a must see for any Depp fan and more to the point, any movie fan.

What a treat!

Author: E.C. Montana (epevae) from Berlin, Germany
7 October 2002

The plot itself is so bizarre that it might well be real. Rafael´s love for his family is greater than his fear of dying.There is hardly a more difficult decision to make.Despite his clearly showing conflict,he seems to have decided to do it from the start. Despite the doubts he is facing from his wife due to his previous imprisonment, he follows it through and takes care of everything before he follows the trail to his doom. A true brave in a true drama with a very sensitive ending.

Powerful and unforgettable, excellent

Author: ziouxpioux from United States
8 January 2007

Depp was superb as the director and the star. Some find the movie to be to slow and/or to long. Not so unless, a person is into car chases, kick boxing and explicit sex. Please be aware this movie had the most sensual scene between a man and his wife I have ever seen and I doubt anyone will ever top it.

Anyone who does not understand or appreciate what Depp was attempting to depict is shallow and/or dense. Excellent movie! I feel "The Brave" deserves the respect of the American movie public. It is really pathetic the movie was panned so badly that Depp refused to release it in the United States.

A man who gives his life for his family to have a better life

Author: petersghost13 from Connecticut USA
22 March 2004

I thought this was an excellent movie! Johnny Depp plays an indian who has a wife and two children living in poverty. The only way he sees out for his family is to sell himself to Marlon Brando so he can see what a painful death looks like. So for $50,000, Rafael (Depp) agrees to be Brando's guinea pig. In his last week with his family, Rafael learns to live again and love his family. At the end of the week, he has to go back to this warehouse, where he knows he will be killed. The most interesting segment of the movie is the meeting between Rafael and the priest who he asks help from in making sure his family gets the money after he's gone. It becomes a moral dilemma for the priest and yet in the end, the priest comes through for Rafael. This is a movie not to be watched without tissues!

An opportunity missed

Author: artwk from Australia
4 August 2006

Given that "The Brave" was based on a novel with a fascinating but disturbing concept, it could and should have been an excellent movie. Depp's direction is competent, the acting overall is good, but the film is overlong and poorly structured. The opening sequences give no hint whatever of what is to follow, and even the Brando character's payment of $50,000 in cash tells the viewer little. Is Depp supposed to come back in a week and carry out a contract killing? Who knows? Who cares? The closure was well handled, and the film would have been weakened if it had gone on to show the main character's suffering and death. But the film would have benefited from a brief glimpse at the very start, or at least an intimation, of what would happen at the end. It's not surprising that many viewers found the film boring. The pace is desperately slow, and much of the film has one itching to press the fast-forward button.

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]