IMDb > The Boys Club (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Boys Club More at IMDbPro »

A gripping little gem

Author: coverme6 from Allentown, PA
5 August 2000

This is one independent flick that I had happen to run into in a local video store back in '97. At first, I thought it was

going to be those stupid, teen coming of age flicks that are so popular in the late '90s that I was almost tempted to ignore it. But I read the back of the video and I found the plot to be pretty intriguing: three teens who hang out in their clubhouse found in some dense woods are startled to find a wounded drifter who claims to be an undercover cop, hiding in their little club. Soon enough, the boys make a fine acquaintence with the man, not knowing that this guy has a dreadful secret about himself, and a harrowing experience follows when the boys discover the man's true colors.

This film actually had good acting and a fine, promising

premise. Devon Sawa stars as Kyle, one of the kids whose wild, destructive personality comes into conflict with the drifter. I was very surprised that Sawa can act up a storm sometimes! I found him especially weak in films such as "Wild America" and "The Night of the Twisters." The dude can really play his part well. Chris Penn (Sean's brother) is in top form as the menacing drifter, who tries to manipulate the boys with his smooth- talking charm and his sadistic ways.

A secret club, a hidden truth

Author: SassyFox from Washington, USA
18 July 1999

This movie was quite interesting I'd say. It first just starts as a boring kinda of summer for 3 boys until they find a man in there club house way out in the woods. The man says he is a cop hiding from some other cops. It turns out he is not all what he says to be...

Third act is redeeming... first 2 are watchable

Author: WakenPayne from Valhalla
19 September 2012

John Fawcett in my opinion is a competent director and would like to see more of his work.

This movie for the first 2 thirds is basically about these three teenage boys who hang out at an old derelict house, they find a cop (or so he says) who is in need of their help.

What I will say about this movie is that the first hour or so of the thing is basically build-up. After that the movie actually gets pretty good. My one complaint about the build-up is you NEVER feel it until it actually happens.

So all in all a good Canadian film.

The moment I declaired John Fawcett one of my favourite directors

Author: Morbius Fitzgerald from Bailey Downs!
4 August 2012

Wow. For a low budget thriller from Canada, am I allowed to say I was expecting less? Either way I'll say it. I was expecting at least a 6/10 with this film and it just blew all my expectations out of the water.

For a first feature length film as I said - wow. I won't reveal much about the plot but the less you know the better. The main attraction of this is the plot though, it gives itself a good twist. The first half is harmless and it has spots of humor. The second half is "okay they've sunk WAY TOO DEEP in this to get out. What the F#ck are they going to do?" The highlight performance is Chris Penn as Luke the cop (or at least we think he is) who is with them. The other 3 leads do their jobs very well and I can sort of see a theme Fawcett uses of teen angst(I won't expect that when I watch The Dark (2005) and I will watch that movie) on top of a rather hard situation to get out of. In this its a crime, in Ginger Snaps its becoming a werewolf.

Overall I highly recommend a viewing.

Be careful about choosing your heroes .................

Author: merklekranz from United States
17 December 2009

Three impressionistic 14 yr. olds discover a fugitive in an isolated shack they use as a club house. Chris Penn is excellent in the role of the unhinged and wounded killer. The script comes across as mostly believable, and builds tension nicely. The acting by all involved is totally acceptable, and the rural setting feels correct. This really is beyond the usual coming of age film, because of the violence. The film's message, if there is one, seems to be, be careful about choosing your heroes. For admirers of Chris Penn this is a must see...................................... Recommended as above average entertainment. - MERK

See it! Great for everyone!

Author: vlises22
14 December 2001

A great Story, might scare little children. Chris Penn and Dominic (Kyle) especially good. I was surprised that I liked it. I've seen Chris Penn lots of times, and is dependable. But, Dominic (?) as Kyle, who is he? Was very good.

Showed promise, never delivered

Author: vchimpanzee
8 March 2004

Kyle, Brad and Eric are three young teenage boys with a secret clubhouse where no girls are allowed unless they take off their tops (a reference to the pictures on the wall). One day they find Luke in their clubhouse with a gun, a badge and a big secret. Luke seems nice enough and even becomes a good friend to the boys. But he has been shot and he doesn't want them telling the cops or even taking him to the doctor. His wound is minor enough the boys can fix him up, but there may be something he's not telling them.

Kyle wants to be a pilot, but his father does not seem to support his dreams, and he has a loser jerk of an older brother named Jake. He also wants to date Megan.

I liked the scenes with Kyle and Megan. There was some comedy in this movie, and a scene where two of the boys made trouble in a liquor store was one of the most enjoyable for me. I thought Chris Penn gave a really good performance as Luke, making a dramatic personality change as the movie took a dark turn.

Some movies might have recovered from what happened in the second half. For me, this one never did. It was more violent than I would have liked, for one thing. And some things happened in that club house that just weren't pleasant. I was hoping this movie would be a little more positive. It wasn't exactly 'Stand by Me'.

A well done independent flick!

Author: Marc Fantozzi (shelleyfantozzi@dingoblue.net.au) from Perth, Australia
5 March 2001

I am a huge fan of the movie 'Final Destination' and think that Devon Sawa is a good actor, thats why I saw The Boy's Club and because it really sounded intriguing. Three teenage boys have a secret hideaway in the woods and spend all of their spare time there due to the teacher's strike in their small town of Ontario. But when they encounter a mysterious drifter named Luke who is hiding out in their shack, things take a turn for the worst. At first things go fine. The three boys, Kyle, Brad and Eric admire this stranger and think he's really cool, but Luke has a deadly secret. I won't spoil it for you guys but this film is really excellent and kept me glued to the screen. The only other independent feature I have seen is the 1978 classic 'Halloween'. The Boy's Club is no Halloween, but it is a great flick. I am desperately trying to find a copy of this to buy. Amazon.co.uk don't have this available and American video cassettes don't work over here in Australia so I am in a fix. That's how much I love The Boy's Club. The film is well acted by it's young stars and you will really hate Chris Penn in the end. Don't let the independent/B-grade feel to this movie fool you, it is really cool and one of the best flicks I have seen in a long time.

Extremely underrated movie that deserves a much higher rating then a 6.5

Author: John Doe from Unknown
12 May 2014

This review contains spoilers! Read at your own risk! I remember seeing the trailer for The Boys Club on The Prevue Channel (now known as the TV Guide Channel) way back in 97' or 98' and I was VERY interested in seeing it. It wasn't until years later that i finally bought the DVD and am I glad that I did. The story is about three teenage boys who find a 'police officer' in their secret clubhouse. He becomes their friend however he is not who he says he is.

Anyways, The performances are great, the story is dark and gritty and it has a excellent soundtrack (those songs will be stuck in your head for days lol.) I wish this movie would get re-released on Blu-Ray with a commentary track and new extras but that will never happen (as it's currently licensed by Echo Bridge Home Entertainment.) I very highly recommended this movie.

This film deserves to be on the IMDb Top 250 List and I am serious.

This is one of my favorite movies of the late 1990's and is a definitely MUST SEE!!!!! Trust me, this movie is AMAZING!!!

The reason why I am giving this the a 9/10 is because i want to see the deleted scenes of what was cut from the film, otherwise I would have given this masterpiece a 10.

A Dark Cousin of "Stand By Me"

Author: drpakmanrains from United States
9 May 2012

I came across the DVD of this film at a mall video store circa 2002 in the low price bin while waiting to see a film at the theater. I had never heard of it, but the plot sounded interesting and the price was right, so I bought it unseen. As others have stated, this Canadian film is about 3 early adolescent boys, Eric, Kyle, and Brad, who hang out in a shack they have made into a clubhouse where they hang pin-ups and talk about girls and listen to loud music. One day they find Chris Penn (Luke) in their club nursing an injured leg. He tells them he is a cop who was betrayed by colleagues in a drug deal gone bad. He asks them to help him recover and maybe get him a car. Eric, (Devon Sawa), the wildest of the three friends, like many adolescent boys, thinks this is really cool, and wants them to help Penn.

Little by little, as Penn befriends them and acts like a benevolent mentor about subjects like gun handling, they get drawn in deeper, realizing too late that all is not what they thought, and their very lives are in danger. What looked like an exciting adventure soon becomes a nightmare.

The film has some similarities to "Stand By Me", but it is far darker, and has some very disturbing scenes, particularly when Kyle's potential new girlfriend comes into the shack unexpectedly. The tension builds to a very dangerous climax, as the boys learn that "cool" isn't what they thought it was.

Having worked with boys this age, I found myself riveted and worrying for their safety, and disturbed by their having to lose their innocence in such a traumatic way. These were basically good kids having to learn an important lesson about maturity the hard way. I would have given this film a 10 were it a little more fun to watch and moved a little faster in the first half. But to say this is a boring film, as one reviewer did, sure doesn't match with my opinion, and I think the 3 boys were excellent actors and far less caricatured than the boys in "Stand By Me", even though that film was overall more satisfying and enjoyable. Still it rates a 9, and well worth seeing if this type of movie (dark and serious) is appealing to you.