IMDb > The Big Lebowski (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Big Lebowski

The Big Lebowski More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 101: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

A movie for the ages

Author: Evan Lerner (rocketeml@aol.com) from NJ
15 April 1999

The Big Lebowski is my favorite movie. No other has such subtly masterful interaction with such colorful characters. It is not a high suspense thriller or a drama, but a fun-time feel good comedy that doesn't try too hard to get there. But isn't that what the movie is about.

It's just about sitting back and enjoying the ride. I have seen it +20 times and it still has a friendliness about it. The action heats up just so often, but it doesn't disturb.

There is so much slacker-ing that it sort of rubs off and makes you feel at peace just to sit there and take it all in. And it's real funny too.

Dude...

Author: Parham-2 from Geneva, Switzerland
12 April 1999

Those who have said that this is not a good movie didn't understand one bit of it, or tried to understand too much. This is an 'awesome' movie (,man) and it is unique in the way it brings bottom-of-the-belly laughing (or: the instinctive, natural type of laughter if you'd like) to a modern genre that's hard to associate with humor. One of the best I've ever seen besides Jim Jarmusch's Down by Law. Not that it's comparable, but...

In short, it's a very funny, yet intellectual look at life through the eyes of the bozos that we all are. Go see it!

Big Hit from Coen Bros.

Author: Jaime Domenech from Monterrey, Mexico
10 April 1999

I like the Bridges character a lot, simply, I think anyone can identify with him, love him and understand him. I would like to know someone specially encouraged like the Dude to face life like it is, a joke.

The performance of all the cast is one of the best actors-team-work I have ever seen on the silver screen. The sequence when they (Dude, Walter & Donny) meet Jesus at the bowling was delightful and hilarious (Turturro was terrific).

The Coen Bros. are one of the most creative filmmakers couples the Cinema ever had.

A masterpiece

Author: anonymous
6 April 1999

Some critics didn't like this movie, accusing it of "being inconsistent", of "having no plot" and of "talking about nothing". I think they are the sort of people that praised pathetic, boring movies like The Thin Red Line or Spielberg's latest epic. Lebowski is the best Coen movie ever. In a plot that is essentially a bizarre version of The Big Sleep, the Coens throw in some amazing characters like the L.A. slacker "Dude", the half-crazy Vietnam veteran, the Dude's pathetic landlord, Jesus, the "Nihilists" and the result is absolutely brilliant. The heroes (or should I say idiots) of the movie have the unique ability to screw up everything they are trying to do, from a simple investigation to the shaking of Donny's ashes in the end. The surreal dream sequences demonstrate the Coen brothers' virtuosity. I laughed from the beginning to the end of the movie. Lebowski is one of the funniest and most original movies of the decade. Ten out of ten.

This aggression will not stand

Author: Bomfim from Freetown, MA
23 March 1999

When I first sat down to watch The Big Lebowski, I looked around and thought, hey where am I. Who is that strange man on the floor? Then I turned on the movie. As you can tell I enjoyed the movie, but had trouble seeing it considering I was recently maced.

The Dude (Bridges), so he is called by his friends, is an obvious sociopath. He has little to no regard for any life especially his own. The Dude should come hang out with me and my friends so we can share some white russians.

Walter (Goodman) is the best foil character for the Dude.

The best part of the film was played by Buscemi. He played Donnie. Donnie will be sorely missed.

A great comedy.

Author: herb-18 from cedarhurst, ny
17 March 1999

I thought this was one of the funniest movies I have seen in years. I think that John Goodman deserves an Oscar as best supporting actor. I can't remember any actor being as funny as he was in this movie. Maybe Zero Mostel was as funny in "The Producer". Although the plot was silly, the acting was marvelous. The actor called "Jesus' in the bowling alley was magnificent. I watched that scene over and over and laughed each time. It was a great movie.

This Movie Is the Best!!!!!!

Author: Nick (wildjester@hotmail.com) from Charlevoix, Michigan
10 March 1999

This movie is my fav. movie in the world!!!! It may be pointless, but it's great and in my opinion reflects life, if you look closely. Jeff Bridges, John Goodman, Steve B., and all the rest just do a great job at acting there roles. The only bad part was it ended!!!!!

One of the best movies ever made!!

Author: Stephen Lindsay (eapoe@netsync.net) from Fredonia, New York
9 March 1999

Only from the makers of Fargo could a movie such as this be made. A jewel of a film full of great performances, and one of the wackiest, wildest plots ever written. A great ride, funny, and (believe it or not)extremely intelligent. John Goodman at his best as the Vietnam Vet with a screw loose!! Jeff Bridges makes post-60s hippy life look great too!

funny as hell!

Author: Juan Mier (johnnymier@hotmail.com) from mexico city
1 March 1999

If you have ever felt guilty for being too lazy wait until you see this movie and meet the Dude, the laziest man in Los Angeles. A movie filled with a great sense of humor if you are smart.

Watch it with a dictionary!

Author: Al Dieste (adieste@goldrush.com) from Sonora, California
27 February 1999

One of the many reasons I've grown to love Coen Bros. films is that they increase my vocabulary. Let's face it, how many of us know the definition of "micturate"?

To paraphrase Nathan Arizona, watching Coen Bros. movies has become my "whole god-damned raison d-etre"!