IMDb > Best Men (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Best Men

Best Men More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

a hidden pearl in the cheap movie bin

Author: GoddessArtemis85 from United States
14 October 2005

My friend bought this movie out of the $5 bin at Walmart for a laugh. I was just expecting a stupid, mindless romantic comedy. What I found was a brilliant piece of work. The script is quite impressive. The story actually focuses on the "Best Men" like it says, not on the bride and groom. The whole film is chock full of lovable (and not so lovable) vibrant characters from nerdy little Teddy to Billy, the classical romantic hero, to Buzz the top-notch soldier with a heart of gold to Sol the lawyer you don't want to trust. Why had I never heard of this movie before?!? This definitely deserves a place on the shelf for anyone who loves comedy and good writing.

A love story with enough action to keep the guys happy.

Author: edtay from United States
20 May 2005

Great movie..it has comedy, drama, unexpected events, love and real interaction among friends..people you know slightly and total strangers who interact and mesh well in the storyline. Good cast; and for all of you Dean Cain fans, he shows a buff chest. Drew adds an interesting twist to the bride-to-be. Luke Wilson is again great in his role, he gives real depth to his role. The male stars interact like they actually know their roles and the little quirks in their relationships just seems to draw you more into the story and Drew is believable as the bride to be and has a friendship with each of the 5 male stars. I seldom recommend movies, but this is definitely one I plan on seeing a few times just because it was written so well I know I probably missed a few things the first time.

Quite good

Author: vishrutseera
15 March 2000

The movie started out very promisingly and I thought that it was going to be a hilarious comedy. But it turned out to be better than that. The characters of each person have been acted out flawlessly. The setting is good.

I can see why some people did not like it. They expected a comedy and got a drama instead. It has a bit of comedy in it, but I guess people were expecting more. The lines recited from Shakespeare are extremely well chosen and just right for the movie. This, by the way, encouraged me to read Hamlet.

The role of Drew Barrymore is small, but significant. It was quite funny seeing the whole public against the FBI. The ending was quite unexpected.

Anyway, I think that this is a beautiful movie and should be seen with an open mind.

One of those rare "near-perfect" movies.

Author: Julian Cable (jc-89) from United Kingdom
24 September 2000

Never heard of this movie, but it was the best bet on the box. Had a thoroughly good time! Excellent writing, direction and performances. Nothing unpredictable - the Hamlet tie-in says it all, even the characters know they are playing out a tragedy and tell each other. But the predictability of the plot comes from the inevitability of the scenario, which in turn comes from the characters. If the resolutions are a little trite, its because its basically a tragedy played out on an action comedy set and there isn't time to beat about the bush. If you liked the wit and love of life in Strictly Ballroom, you'll like this.

A surprisingly complex and satisfying film

Author: anonymous
30 May 1999

I too rented this movie because I am a Drew Barrymore fan, but wasn't sad that she had a relatively small part. That's not a dis on Drew (she did just fine), but more a commentary on how good a script it was. The acting was all around solid with Dean Cain leading the pack... and surprise, surprise, Andy Dick giving his comic character some interesting depth.

Did this movie get a theatrical release? If not, it's a shame... it's one of those small indie films that could really find an audience.

Contains elements of M*A*S*H

Author: Theodore J. Rieth from Towanda PA
3 June 2000

An entertaining movie from beginning to end. It delivers a clever story line with a blend of humor, drama and tragedy reminiscent of the TV series M*A*S*H. I was a bit surprised by the relatively low average score, but the statistics indicate that a healthy percentage of viewers found the story compelling as I did.

Suspend reality for good entertainment

Author: John R. Burns (jrbunc@earthlink.net) from Safety Harbor Fl
17 March 2001

Good action flic with passable comedy.Shakespearian theme is a bit overdone, but, the bad guy gets his just desserts. Drew Barrymore is actually likeable. Dean Cain is not a gay green beret but turns in a good job under trying circumstances

Why so under-rated and unpopular?

Author: xxihottie21 from Elk Grove
26 December 2005

First of all, I would recommend seeing the movie before reading any of the comments posted on this page. If you are thinking of posting a comment, read the comments of other people to get a sturdy point of view and opinion.

I would definitely love to meet one of the main characters in the movie Best Men. Dean Cain played Sergeant Buzz Thomas (might I add that he is so incredibly cute!). You probably know him from his role as Superman in Lois and Clark. Best Men is about four guys who get involved in a bank robbery after their friend Billy Phillips (Sean Patrick Flanery) decides to hold up a bank to grab cash for Jesse Reilly's (Luke Wilson) wedding present. Billy uses quotes from Shakespeare's Hamlet during his robberies, earning the nickname Hamlet. Drew Barrymore plays a small but important part as Hope, the bride-to-be. Teddy Pollack (Andy Dick) adds a funny and somewhat unique twist to the movie. Best Men has it's action scenes, but is mainly a comedy that gradually turns into a drama. The characters are flawless, great performance from all the actors.

I have read some of the other comments on this movie, and have to agree that I was also disappointed when I found out that Cain's character was gay. I also realized, though, that if he was not gay, he most likely would have taken the role of a sex-driven man. The movie was straight forward, and did not need a distraction.

Also, some comments are complaining about the stupidity of the characters. If there weren't parts of the movie where the characters did idiotic things, there wouldn't be much suspense as to where that action would lead them.

There seems to be an argument between comments about the genre of the film. A film does not have to be one type, it is actually much better if it is composed of mixed feelings, which is definitely what Best Men imposes.

This movie was most likely not intended to be a really action-filled movie, a really tragic one, or one that you will laugh about for the next week. It is a light combination of all three. Watching it a couple times will also help you understand the dialog between the beginning and the end. A lot of what is said shows up in another part of the movie.

Overall, a must-see. Best Men definitely gives you a new perspective on shotgun weddings and comedy/action films.

Not what you would expect...

Author: VenusBoy from Denver, CO
30 July 1999

When I rented this movie, I was thinking that it would be a comedy. Instead, this movie turned out to be more of a drama. I was very surprised with this movie and even a little curious as to why I had never heard of it before seeing it at the video store. Perhaps it is because it isn't a comedy like most people would expect. I really liked this movie. It isn't a vehicle for Drew Barrymore, if that is what you are expecting, but her part is one that she does well in. Dean Cain also turns in a worthy performance. I think most will be surprised at how touching and even moving this movie is if they give it a chance.

An amazing piece of work

Author: Ashley (buffysummers38@hotmail.com) from TN
25 April 1999

I rented this movie because...well to be honest it was to see Drew Barrymore, but I got much more out of it than just that. The story was beautifully written and played out. This movie shows the definition of true friendship. It's nice to see a film where everyone is not out to protect themselves, but to keep the people they care about under safety's wing.

The acting was all around nice. No really outstanding performances, but certainly no one who demeaned the film and the performances of others.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]