Bean (1997) Poster

(1997)

153 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
You won't be able to stop laughing
Amy Adler8 August 2003
Mr. Bean (Rowan Atkinson) is a London museum guard who is about to be fired by middle management. The big boss, however, won't hear of it; instead, he sends Mr. Bean to America. Once there, Mr. Bean is to pose as an art critic and give a rousing speech about Whistler's mother for a California art museum. Well, the museum director picks Mr. Bean up at the airport and pandemonium is the name of the game after that. Mr. Bean upsets the director's household, creates havoc at a local amusement park, blows up dinner and more. On top of that, he rarely speaks so everyone is certain he is an idiot. Can this man transform himself into an art critic and will he be able to present a speech on the museum's big day?

This movie is just flat-out fun. Although he has very little dialogue, Mr. Bean's expressions and antics are priceless. The supporting cast does a reasonably good job but Mr. Bean towers over everybody. This movie should be required viewing for anyone in a depressed state of mind; it can lift the spirits of even the saddest beings on earth. Recommended for a fine family evening of giggles and leg-slapping.
56 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Mr. Bean has a very distinctive and narrow brand of slapstick comedy so his target audience is not that huge, but people who are into his humor should LOVE this movie.
Michael DeZubiria30 January 2003
I had never seen any of Rowan Atkinson's performances as Mr. Bean when this movie came out in 1997, so I knew nothing about it when I went to see it other than that it was about the zany adventures of this strange looking man on the movie poster. He strikes me as one of those comedians that you either completely love or completely hate, because his comedy is so extreme. It's not the kind of thing that you can watch and just sort of like or not really care for. It's one of those movies where it's not surprising to see people walk out in the middle while other people are just about falling out of their chairs laughing so hard. Personally, I was one of the latter.

I admit that Bean certainly deals in a very childish sort of humor. This is, by definition, slapstick comedy, and it is certainly not for all tastes. But from the movie's opening scene, which shows Bean gleefully shaving his entire face with an electric razor (including his forehead and even his tongue), you know that this is what the movie is like, so you can't really hold that against it.

The story in the film is clearly one of those that is invented for the movie and then manipulated to fit the screenplay and to work nicely into the movie. It's not that hard to realize that such a huge art gallery could be fooled for so long by someone like Mr. Bean, thinking that he's a genius, and certainly no way that he would be left alone with a $50 million painting long enough to remove it from the vault and rub paint thinner into it, but on the other hand, the rest of the comedy fits so nicely into this plot. At the very least, there are relatively realistic situations thrown into an unrealistic plot, which makes the movie enjoyable even though you don't really take it seriously.

There is a wonderful scene, for example, where Bean sneezes on the painting of Whistler's Mother, and then he tries to wipe off the spray with his handkerchief, which has been smeared with a leaky pen. So the painting gets smeared with ink, and he grabs the first can he sees off a nearby shelf, which happens to be paint thinner. It cleans the ink off nicely but then causes the paint to boil off, and then Bean frantically tries to save it by wiping it even harder, rubbing the paint off right down to the canvas. Sure, this is not the mark of an intelligent mind, but that's the point of the whole movie.

Bean is a film that relies on the fact that humans are so amused by the misfortunes of others. There's something funny about seeing someone else get into a sticky situation, and in movies like this, they do just that and things only get worse and worse. Granted, there are a million ways out of every situation that Bean gets into that would be less painful than the routes that he chooses, but if he took them there would be no movie. Consider, for example, the bathroom scene where a man walks in on Bean as he appears to be getting a little too friendly with a hot air dryer. He quickly grabs a light bulb pretending that he had been examining it, and then the man leaves and Bean drops the hot bulb to break on the ground and when he goes to run cold water over his burnt fingers the water sprays his crotch again. Total slapstick, but that's funny!

Like I said, Bean is not a movie for all tastes. But there is a place for childish humor in movies, and that place is in movies like this. It certainly can be taken too far or simply done wrong, as in the case of movies like the American Pies or the Scary Movies, etc., but Bean is a movie that knows what kind of comedy it delivers, and it knows how far to go before things just descend into vulgarity and bad taste. It's a comedy that does not pretend to be anything that it's not, and for that it should be respected. It is also, by the way, the kind of a comedy that allows for an almost innumerable amount of sequels. While I can certainly see it being vastly overdone, I would just like to say that if a couple more Bean movies were to be made, I would be among the last to complain!
20 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Highly Underrated Classic
Darth_Homer3 May 2003
For those of you who loved watching Mr Bean, this movie doesn't fail to disappoint you. I saw this last night and laughed my head off, in fact, I think I was laughing more than when I was seeing Johnny English(also starring Atkinson).

For those who really love the TV series, a few of the gags have been redone, including the vomit bag joke, the turkey head and the fast ride (the latter is so damn funny).

So if you love Rowan Atkinson or love Mr Bean, go see this film!
50 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
British farce at its finest!
Scott Peterson8 November 2004
This is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen, and in my opinion it is among the ranks of the legendary Monty Python.

"Bean" is about the infamous Mr.Bean, a lazy buffoon who manages to cause problems in even the simplest of tasks. In this movie, he works at an Art Gallery and the management desperately want to get rid of him. Rather than fire him, they send him to Los Angeles to unveil the painting, "Whistler's Mother". An American named David Langley allows Mr.Bean to stay in his house during his visit against the will of his family. This turns out to be a huge mistake.

This movie is roll-out-of-your-chair-laughing funny. Rowan Atkinson's acting is beyond excellent, and all of the other characters are good as well.

The only thing I can find to nitpick about this movie is that there is not a very strong plot. The movie is basically a line of connected humor skits. I personally do not mind this too much, but if you are looking for a movie with a story that can be made into a book, look elsewhere.

If you enjoyed the Mr.Bean series and like "disaster" movies, this is the perfect movie for you!
49 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
God, I LOVED this movie!!!!!!!!!!!!
Matt Barry16 November 2000
How can anyone not LOVE this movie. It has to be the greatest comedy made in the 1990s. IT HAS TO BE. Rowan Atkinson is an incredible slapstick comedian. He is one of the great comedy performers of all time, ranking alongside Chaplin, Keaton, Fields, The Marxes, Tati, Brooks and Allen. This was a really popular movie when it was released in the Spring of 1997-and with good reason. If there could ONLY be more movies like this. I'm a big fan of Atkinson's TV shows MR BEAN, BLACKADDER and of course THE THIN BLUE LINE. Do yourself a favor and see this movie!
42 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great movie
chris-4743 July 1999
Although the storyline is quite different to the usual ones in the tv show, the movie still captures the clumsiness and total annoyingness of the character of Mr Bean. Rowan Atkinson is great and so are the other actors in the film. I really enjoyed this, probably more because it wasn't a disaster like the tv show usually is. In other words Bean didn't stuff up as much. there were some great scenes involving the painting and in the hospital. I recommend it to those comedy fans and for anybody who can withstand the lunatic behaviour of Mr Bean.
18 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Sometimes quite funny, but still disappointing after the TV show
Electrified_Voltage31 January 2008
Despite only having fourteen episodes, "Mr. Bean" was a VERY successful TV series, developing a well-deserved reputation for its excellent visual humour! Two years after the show's demise, it was decided that it was time to bring Rowan Atkinson's character to the silver screen. The result was "Bean" (a.k.a. "Bean: The Ultimate Disaster Movie"), but unfortunately, this didn't turn out to be nearly as good as the classic TV series, and has disappointed many fans, including me.

Mr. Bean works as a caretaker for England's Royal National Gallery, and is one lousy employee (as one would probably assume), constantly sleeping on the job! Because of this, the board of directors plans to fire him, but the chairman will not permit this. The Grierson Gallery in Los Angeles has just purchased the famous "Whistler's Mother" painting, and curator David Langley has requested that the Royal National Gallery sends an art scholar to make a speech at the unveiling of the painting. Since the board of directors can't fire Bean, they see this as an opportunity to get him out of their lives, at least temporarily, so they send him, under the name, "Dr. Bean"! David Langley has no clue that Bean is not a doctor, nor is he even an art expert, and the painting could now be in danger because of him! Not only that, the presence of the Royal National Gallery's terrible employee may also threaten the future of poor David's job and family!

This movie's main problem is that it simply isn't nearly as consistently funny as the TV series. There are quite a few funny parts, I can't deny that, but I think most of them only made me smile or snicker, not enough big laughs, which there are a lot of in the show! Also, some gags from the show are repeated in this movie, and were done better the first time. These include Mr. Bean falling asleep while sitting down and gradually falling onto his knees and head (I guess that one is not as funny when nobody else is in the picture), and getting his head stuck in a turkey dinner (the main reason why it's not as funny this time is probably because the turkey isn't as big). Now, this movie did introduce some new and funny gags, but none of them can match some of the priceless ones in the show. None of the other characters really add much to the humour, and sadly, Mr. Bean cannot steadily carry it all by himself throughout the entire thing. Towards the end, I've found the film gets a bit tiring.

Overall, I would say "Bean" was not a bad first attempt to bring the world-renowned walking disaster to the silver screen, but hardly a good one, either, they certainly didn't completely pull it off. I am only one of many fans who have been disappointed by it to some degree. I certainly don't think it's something to watch for non-stop laughs over and over again, and that's pretty much how I would describe many of the short sketches, which I'm sure many would agree with. I think most fans of the show would at least find SOME laughs in this movie, but it seems that some fans hate it, so that's certainly not a guarantee.
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Average but warm-hearted comedy
DVD_Connoisseur31 December 2006
"Bean" is the average but warm-hearted, large screen adventure of Rowan Atkinson's bumbling but strangely likable character.

With a smörgåsbord of talent behind this film, there are a few genuine laughs but, sadly, they're few and far between. This film could have been so much better in the hands of another director. Mel Smith appears to have been on cruise-control making this movie. It's a case of comedy by numbers and the film never seems to shift gear.

The always amusing Peter MacNicol is excellent as the suffering David Langley and provides the perfect foil to Atkinson's Bean.

An average comedy movie, it's worth a viewing if there's nothing else on the television.
13 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this