IMDb > The Avengers (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Avengers

The Avengers More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 45: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Total waste of time!! A very shoddy spy film!

Author: Chris Gavez ( from Toronto Canada
5 January 2002

Whatever came upon me to sit through the very long 89 minutes of this film, I will never know. The only guess that I can come up with is to see Uma Thurman in those tight leather pants. This film is one of the worst of its kind that I have ever seen.

The plot was so incoherent that I did not know what was going on exactly until 45 minutes into the film. Sean Connery plays Sir August, who with the aid of a weather altering device, is trying to take over the world. So, the secret agent team of the Avengers are sent in to stop his plan of world domination.

Being a fan of Sean Connery's, it is a true pity that he would have taken such an awful role. I do give credit where credit is due however, as his demise is one of the most original that I have ever seen in film. I definately did not see that coming.

Maybe I am being a little harsh on this film, since I never saw the original television series that this film was based on, however, I would much rather spend my precious 89 minutes watching a quality James Bond film, than rip off material such as this.

Do not not even bother watching it on television, it is really not worth the time or money.

Hacked to parts - only shattered remnants of a better film

Author: TallGuy from Geneva, Switzerland
7 August 2000

When I saw this movie in the cinema I was quite disappointed and utterly confused why anyone would launch such a mess of a story. Learning later that the studio hat cut maybe half an hour explained a lot, but not why anyone would think this was an improvement! Still, I have seen much worse movies in my life and there are a few nice scenes. Now if someone could patch together a better version from the mess they must have created in the cutting room we might have a nice popcorn flick.

This sucks even more than a dry-cleaner.

Author: The Poiv from Sweden
5 August 1999

This film is pure, molested s**t. Lousy actings, except Connery, who´s always good, lousy script and over the edge bad holdings. Where´s the people? When theyre driving around in London, not one single person walks by... Need it be told any more? Actually no, but I can´t help but wonder why mrs Peel had an evil twin? Sometimes you dont understand if it´s the twin or her. Heck, maybe it was the twin that survived and not the heroine... Yeah, right. (A bit confused)

Sucks, sucks, sucks and sucks even more: - 1 or rated Bomb, or Turkey, or overcrossed sign, or below zero or...

What was with the teddy bears?

Author: Doug Hubbard from NY
31 July 1999

This movie must have never been layed out to see if any of the scenes made sense. The script left much to be desired and the acting was bad. I have to say i'm disappointed in Sean Connery. If you've seen it, you know what i mean about teddy bears. If you ever want to know what a truly poor movie is like, see The Avengers.

It's like watching the charterer from Godzilla in The Godfather.

Author: Sean O'Flaherty from San Jose, CA
25 July 1999

As a once regular viewer of MST3K I have to say this is not even close to being the worst file ever made. It is however one of the worst feature films in reset memory. It is to, borrow a word from another review, very "Talky". This wouldn't be bad if the dialog and charterers where better, but these are both action move grade. It's kind of like watching the charterer from Godzilla in The Godfather, with a plot the makes little sense on top. Overall the plot makes little sense, there not much action, despite this being marketed as an action move, the tempo is slow and boring and the move is hard to follow and and not worth following. The only good points, the cinematography and, best of all, it's only an hour and a half..

my cat could cough up a better movie

Author: anonymous from USA
22 July 1999

What is with these so-called Avengers? I mean, really! The Ministry of Defence is guarded only by a parking-ramp arm and an ATM machine and they're staffed by two or three people tops. And when all of London (which, by the way, is completely EMPTY from the get-go) is threatened with complete destruction, they put two lackadaisical special agents (Thurman and Fiennes) on the case, both of whom are too wrapped up in what passes in England for pillow talk to make much of an impact on the whole thing. The villian, Sean Connery, runs an operation assisted by ONE henchmen (that's Eddie Izzard, by the way, who in any other respect is really cool. Check out Velvet Goldmine or some of his stand-up, trust me) and a bunch of guys in giant TEDDY BEAR OUTFITS (for the love of humanity what was up with THAT?) Our "heroes" spend almost the entire film quietly gabbing and stopping for tea at nine-minute intervals until the last five minutes when they out of nowhere haul off and start kicking some ass. The whole thing is poorly drawn out and just really surreal and I for one won't stand for it! BAN movie remakes of old TV shows!!

All things considered, though, I think the Avengers (who, incidently, weren't even really AVENGING anything) could have benefited from a little something known as WEAPONS. The filmmakers may have been trying to steer clear of that kind of violence, but you can't try to pawn off a movie as an action-adventure when the fight sequences use umbrellas and pointy-toed high heel boots, it just don't cut it!

The Absolute Worst

Author: SLR-3 from United States
19 July 1999

This film makes no sense at all. I gave it a 2 because the actors did not phone in their parts; but a 2 is a gift.

Unless you want something really really bad to view -- so that you know just where the bottom of the pile is, please don't rent this film. Rent (or buy) instead the videos of the Television series.

What were the writers thinking?

Oh, the agony

Author: Mr. D from Thief River Falls, MN
18 July 1999

I consider myself fairly open minded on movies. I love campy shlocks like "Evil Dead", but this isn't a 'thinking persons' movie, it's a brain dead person's movie! 90% of the time I had no clue what the hell was happening. But to be fair I did notice the visual aspect of the movie, i.e. how much it must have cost to make that set. This is baaaaaadddd stuff. Normally Ralph Fiennes is a brilliant actor, just look at "Schindler's List" or "Quiz Show". Here though he gives Keanu Reeves a run for his money as most wooden performance ever. Fiennes just BLOWS in this role. Oh well, I guess Hollywood had to compensate for excellent movies like "L.A. Confidential" with this pile of crap. I'm just glad my buddy had it on DVD, because I would have shot myself if I'd bought it.

No wonder there were no advance press screenings

Author: Primtime from Langley
14 July 1999

The Avengers is without a doubt one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I do not think I have ever been so bored with a film only an hour-and-a-half long. Neither Fiennes or Thurman capture their characters like MacNee and Rigg did in the original series. They rather spend the whole film throwing mindless banter at each other in order to see whom is the colder of the two.

Sean Connery could do no right in this film. I wish he had been smarter and stayed away from this project the moment he read the script. The scene with the teddy bears will forever register in my mind right up there with the fight with Robert Shaw in "From Russia With Love" or the laser scene with Gert Frobe in "Goldfinger." Why Mr. Connery? Why?

One can fully understand why Warner Bros. went through such length to keep this film from being seen by critics before it was fully released. The script is awful, the characters uninteresting and the finale laughable. After all, no one in their right mind gave a damn as to whether Sir de Winter actually did control the world's weather. I'm sure all the armies in world wouldn't stand a chance against a very sensitive machine. Yeah, right.

This movie stands no chance of getting any kind of recommendation.

3/10 stars.

Boring Dream

Author: oli-6 from Manila
15 September 1998

Like that sort of a bad dream which one wouldn't really mind having, but the sort which one would be embarassed to tell about to friends