Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery (1997) Poster

This should have been done years ago!!
Michael DeZubiria19 August 2002
In a time when we are almost constantly barraged with goofy spoof films, it's amazing that no one had come out with a spoof of the James Bond films until 1997. Those movies have been coming out and just BEGGING to be spoofed since the early 60s, and Mike Meyers is the one who finally steps forward to do what simply has to be done, and he does a wonderful job at it.

Fans of the James Bond films will have a blast looking for all of the allusions to the old Bond films and trying to determine which Bond film is being spoofed at any given time, but it's important to keep in mind that the film pokes fun at the Bond series in good taste. Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery is never disrespectful to the films that it makes fun of, which is probably the single most important thing about a spoof film that makes it good. This is why the Scary Movies, as just a couple of examples, were such dismal, hideous failures. They try to be funny by viciously making fun of all kinds of movies, and end up looking stupid because they have such a nonexistent right to do that. You can't make a stupid, stupid movie and make fun of a lot of great movies (and some not so great, admittedly) and try to pretend to be respectable at the end of it all. That's the recipe for a crapfest.

While it's true that a lot of the comedy in the first Austin Powers film is slapstick and obviously contrived, I think it should be a testament to the quality of the film that it is still so funny! We see all of the traditional Bond clichés in this movie, such as the usual one-liners (which are made fun of extensively and with spectacular effect here), the fancy cars, the goofy cockiness, the teeth-grinding theme song, and the occasionally inexplicable popularity with the women (this allusion makes most sense when compared to those Bond films that starred Roger Moore).

The plot involves a rivalry between Dr. Evil, an evil mastermind bent on world domination, and Austin Powers, a mockish caricature of James Bond, bent on stopping Dr. Evil's world domination schemes. Meyers portrays both characters with hilarious skill, making Austin an awkward womanizer with some serious dental problems, and Dr. Evil an evil schemer with a hilarious cutesy side. Neither character really seems like they belong in the role that they serve (as a spy and a doctor of evil), which is where a lot of the comedy comes in. There is also, of course the fact that they both spend most of the movie 30 years in their future, completely out of touch with the new world that they live in.

This is not a movie to be taken seriously, and quite frankly, I can't understand all of these reviews that I've read on the IMDb that are constantly complaining that Austin Powers is so cheesy or so childish. I've heard this same complaint about lots of other movies that are also not meant to be taken seriously, but this one is especially confusing. I trust that all you people complaining about how childish Austin Powers is realize that it is a spoof based on a whole series of movies that are also not meant to be taken seriously, right? I mean, that would be a hell of an oversight to miss that little detail. Austin Powers is one of the most refreshing comedies to come along in years, and it's sad that there are so many people who completely missed the boat on this one just because they pretend that the movie is something that it's not and was never meant to be. It's true that the movie is immensely immature and that it has unfortunately little re-watch value (one of the biggest problems with the film), but the quality of the comedy is unmistakable.
64 out of 79 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Here's A Fast-Moving 90 Minutes
ccthemovieman-16 October 2006
Austin Powers: Man of Mystery I'm embarrassed to admit this one-and-a-half hours of hedonistic humor was so enjoyable, but it was, and the two sequels weren't bad, either, but not as good as this one.

This is stupid; this is corny; it has way too many sexual innuendos, particularly for the millions of teens who saw this film.....but it is undeniably funny. It's also extremely colorful and the '60s clothing is a hoot to see once again (yeah, I remember it well.) This is the like the TV-program "Laugh-In," but with a dumb story.

I have no complaints looking at Elizabeth Hurley ("Vanessa Kensington") and Michael Myers ("Austin Powers"), with his crooked teeth, stupid grin and ridiculous sayings made me laugh. This is a very fast-moving film, a spoof of James Bond and a spoof of the crazy '60s.

The 90 minutes go by quickly.
55 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Finest Spoof...
Coxer9915 March 1999
In this hilarious spoof of 60's spy flicks, a swinging secret agent is thawed out of his cryogenic state in order to combat his old nemesis. The laughs never stop as Myers entertains in two pivotal roles. Hurley is sexy as Austin's partner and love interest. Robert Wagner finds ways to make fun of his "It Takes a Thief" character and is very entertaining in the process. A quickly paced film that generates constant laughs with each viewing. A sequel is soon to be released...Yeah, baby!
36 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Raunchy humor,but a fun spoof
SmileysWorld8 July 2002
Aside from it's overwhelmingly raunchy humor,I consider this to be a great spoof of the spy genre and 60's culture.Mike Myers has created yet two more endearing characters in Powers and his nemisis,Dr.Evil.When certain characters inspire imitation (and who hasn't at least heard imitations of these two,or perhaps even Robert Wagner's character, Number 2 and others),then you have done something right.This movie is good for it's amusing characters and good story line,but again I think it would have worked without so much vulgar humor.Worth a look.
32 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Finally, a good Bond spoof
TBJCSKCNRRQTreviews8 March 2004
This is really a funny parody of the Bond movies. This is the best thing to watch if you've seen a typical by-the-numbers Bond movie, one of the old ones, for example, and thought it was ridiculous, or at the very least something other than great. The plot is directly spoofing the old Bond movies, with an evil villain trying to take over the world. The acting is pretty good, for a spoof movie; the characters are mostly caricatures and stereotypes, to further parody the Bond movies, but they add to the humor of the film. Mike Myers is great in this movie, pretty much anyone who likes him will probably enjoy him in this. I loved how it was spoofing the Bond movies, sometimes even mentioning the ludicrousness of the characters actions in details. If you're into 60's stereotypes, crude sexual humor and some great Bond-spoof action, you'll most likely enjoy this. I recommend this to anyone who enjoys spoof movies, and who's seen at least one Bond movie and thought it was a bit ridiculous. It's filled to the brink with crude sexual innuendo and Bond-spoofing. 8/10
28 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Shagadelic, baby, yeah!
Kristine28 July 2002
When I saw "Austin Powers", I was on the floor laughing. This movie has every single memorable line you could possibly imagine. From "Yeah, baby!" to "Riiiiiight", Mike Myers is a genius when it comes to comedy! I think everyone could say that they laughed at least once to this film.

Paroding of the James Bond flicks, Austin Powers is an international spy who is a lady's man. Dr. Evil, is Arch Nemesis, goes into the future of 1997 and now Austin must travel through time to find him. When he gets to 1997, he has a beautiful assistant, Vanessa, who happens to be the daughter of his former flame in the 60's. Vanessa resists Austin's charm and wants to stick to business while Austin is wasting no time to get to his "business" with her. Dr. Evil learns that he has a son, Scott played by Seth Green. When Scott isn't as excited to have Dr. Evil as a father, Dr. Evil tries anything he can to get Scott to love him, including a hilarious scene in a counseling group for father's and son's. But back into action, Austin must find Dr. Evil before he rules the world with his kitty, Mr. Bigglesworth. But can he do that and have Vanessa at the same time?

You'll just have to see! My favorite characters that worked so well together was without a doubt Seth and Mike as Dr. Evil and Scott. They are just beyond hilarious and work so well together. I think a lot of the other Austin Powers fans would agree. There first scene together meeting is just really funny, "Give Daddy a hug! I'm down with the kids, ducka ducka ducka!" "No! Get away from me you psycho!". Classic! Like I said "Austin Powers" is just a great and funny movie that I think you can get into if you're looking for a decent comedy. Come on! We still say "Yeah, baby!" to this very day after all! Let's give Mike some credit here!

14 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Dirty, funny spoof if you're in the mood
bob the moo3 July 2002
In the 1960's Austin Powers is one of the UK's best secret agents. He works as an international playboy who also fights international terrorists. However when Dr Evil tries fails to kill him, Dr Evil escapes into space where he is frozen until a time when he can return. Austin Powers also freezes himself to be defrosted later. In the late 90's Dr Evil returns to wreck havoc on the world and only a defrosted Powers can stop him – if he can adapt to the new world order. Mike Myers is very much an acquired taste but he did seem to hit it big with this series of films. The original film set the tone with not very basic jokes but certainly plenty of crude ones. The main film is split between a fish out of water film, with Austin trying to come to terms with the 90's, and also a James Bond spoof with Dr Evil as a more frustrated Bond baddie (complete with cat and bald head). The fish out of water stuff works well as Austin is a funny swinger and the 60's stuff is cool, however the best bits for me all relate to Dr Evil – whether it be his relationship with his son or the asides where the see the consequences of the death of his henchmen. The spoof on Bond movies gets the best laughs from me. Myers is good in both roles and clearly has fun with both. Hurley is OK but a bit wooden as Vanessa while Robert Wagner is good as number one. Michael York (whoooooo?) is good as control and there are some good cameos – Rob Lowe is funny but I still don't understand why the whole Christian Slater bit was put in the final cut?! Overall it may be rude and slightly crude in places but there's still plenty to enjoy. It's 90 minutes long but it's very funny and rushes by. You may not remember much of the plot but at least you go away chuckling.
22 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Doesn't age well...
say_andy18 July 2005
I'm not sure how, but somehow I managed to miss the Austin Powers craze of the late 90's. I never went to see the flick, and then when it became a pop culture phenomenon, I didn't really feel like seeing it. Heck, since it was around everywhere and everyone thought they had an Austin Powers impersonation, I felt like I'd already seen it by extension. A few years ago, I managed to catch it on a bus trip, but I must've fallen asleep or was too busy talking because a lot of the movie felt unfamiliar. So this is a review from someone watching it in full for the first time a few days ago.

Which is a bit unfair to the film, since it was such a huge part of pop culture when it came out, there's no way to view it unbiasedly now. To use the horribly tired phrase, this movie is so 1997. Like the title hero (and his nemesis), it's practically frozen in time itself, and watching it brings you back to the horrible time when everyone was saying "shagadelic, baby", or "one million dollars". *shudder* So, jokes that may have made me laugh were I to have seen it when it first came out make me roll my eyes now. I've seen so many clips of this flick that the jokes are already old. But, the thing is, I'm not sure if they would've been that great anyway. Mike Myers' style is to push a joke two or three (or four or five) beats past it being funny, in the hope that the pushing of the joke itself will be funny. It's a knowing wink to the audience that has made him a very successful man, but got old with me around the time of Wayne's World.

In fact, pretty much all of Austin Powers' shtick got old for me very quickly. Like many films from Saturday Night Live, clever comedic premises (like the James Bond of the swinging-sixties parody) that would or have worked great in five minute segments fail to connect for a feature length film. The jokes are pretty obvious and juvenile, bodily humour jokes that I've never really enjoyed (well, not since making noises with my underarms stopped being the height of comedic genius). The parody of the film is clever, but the jokes fall flat.

Well, I should say that most of the jokes fall flat. While Austin Powers himself does little for me, I do find Myers other character in the film, Dr. Evil, to be quite funny most of the time. Dr. Evil saved the movie for me, I loved his out-dated plans for world conquest, I loved his interactions with his son Scott (Seth Green), and loved the scene where he and Scott go to group therapy. That all made me laugh, even though I knew of most of the scenes.

But, he wasn't funny enough for me to give the flick a passing grade. Again, who knows, if I had caught the movie back when it meant something, I may have thought more of it. But, that speaks to the staying power of the film, which is to say that there isn't much.
16 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
brains away
scifimaniac26 May 2003
there is a saying stating "Never underestimate the power of stupidity in big numbers" this movie and the success of it only proved those numbers are bigger than i ever could imagine
15 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
`Austin Powers' has its hit and misses, but comes off with mostly hits...Perhaps the greatest thing about this film is that it is not directly geared towards Bond geeks...
MovieAddict20169 March 2003
Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery - Some Minor Spoilers

Spy spoofs usually amount to zip. That's why the raunchy `Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery' was so popular upon its release. It accomplished its mission of successfully spoofing the James Bond phenomenon in almost every way. The two sequels didn't do quite as well, but I was quite pleased with the second film, especially.

`Saturday Night Live' veteran Mike Myers plays Austin Powers, a groovy British spy in the swingin' sixties. 1967, to be exact. His looks resemble the orangutan-meets-human look that British are stereotyped with, and his clothes are fresh outta' 60's London.

Mike Myers also plays Dr. Evil, Powers' arch-nemesis. After tracing Dr. Evil to the Psychedelic Pussycat club in London, Evil gets away in a Big Boy rocket and blasts into outer space, where he circles the world for thirty years, frozen with his cat.

Myers 1 - err, Austin Powers - is cryogenically frozen immediately, to be thawed out upon return of Dr. Evil.

Well, the thirty years pass, and eventually Dr. Evil returns to earth, with Mr. Bigglesworth, his cat. Number 2 (Robert Wagner), his evil assistant, fills him in on what has happened over the years, and soon Evil is planning another `Highjack some nuclear warheads and hold the world ransom' bit.

Austin is thawed out and sent to find and defeat Evil, along with the monkey-eared Vanessa Kensington (Elizabeth Hurley).

`Austin Powers' has its hit and misses, but comes off with mostly hits. It is probably the best spy spoof to emerge out of Hollywood for years. One of the most interesting aspects is that it does not spoof James Bond film as openly as one might expect- there are tiny, minute details that you only pick up on after multiple viewing. I really expected every other gag to be a satire on Bond films, but alas! They were not! Yes, the film is a spoof on Bond, but not to a sick extreme. Just minute things that audiences may - or may not - pick up on, depending on how knowledgeable they are on the Bond movies.

Powers is, of course, a spoof on James Bond. He's sex-obsessed like Bond, but does not come across with the same coolness and ease of James Bond. At least not in the nineties, anyway.

Dr. Evil is a spoof on Blofield, Bond's arch-nemesis from the Bond films. He is shrouded in mystery and when revealed boasts a bald head, a big, crooked nose, and a cat like Blofield's which is unfortunately naked - without fur - because it didn't thaw out so well in the Big Boy rocket.

Number 2 is a spoof on.well.Number 2 from `Thunderball' - from the name to the eye patch, which I only picked up on after viewing `Thunderball' recently.

There are some very clever scenes in `Austin Powers.' Some of the gags spoof the spy genre very easily. Others fall flat, mainly because they try to get the audience to be sickened. Yes, the film needs to be raunchy to a certain degree - it is a Bond spoof - but they went a bit OTT on some of the jokes (the whole Jacuzzi scene got a bit prolonged.).

Perhaps the greatest thing about this film is that it is not directly geared towards Bond geeks. We've seen satires that were targeted at a small audience range - like `Galaxy Quest.' I really disliked the film the first time I saw it because I do not watch `Star Trek' - but on second viewing I found it to be a clever satire on the Trekkies and equally so on the television show. I guess if I saw the film I would have enjoyed it more the first - and probably second - time. It was a good comedy, but if they had not geared it towards such a small range of audience, I feel they would have received more of a response to the film.

But the exact opposite is the case with `Powers.' Bond geeks and regular moviegoers alike can enjoy this film. It brings two very different audiences together - they may laugh at different things, but they are still laughing together.

Perhaps that is the film's biggest achievement. Sadly, it is its most overlooked, as well. I think that many people don't really understand WHY they like the film so much. I've heard people say, `Why do you like the film so much?' and the other person will say, `Well.umm.gee, I just do.' They themselves know the jokes are not always the greatest. Many of the gags DO fall short.

But deep down they know that the cleverness of the film is what makes them like it so much - and they are either subconsciously afraid to admit that, or literally don't know how to.

Be warned, `Powers' is not a film for everyone. If you don't like raunchy laughs, I wouldn't recommend it. But if you want to see a clever parody of the spy genre - well, I might as well say it: a clever parody of the James Bond genre (let's face it - there's no such thing as a spy genre anymore - James Bond has its own genre) - then I would recommend `Powers.' `Austin Powers.'

4/5 stars -

John Ulmer
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Yeah Baby, Yeah!
gcd7026 April 2010
From director Jay Roach, "Austin Powers - International Man of Mystery" is tongue-in-cheek fun that relies heavily on Mike Myer's comic genius as first the unlikely spy hero Austin Powers, and then the dastardly Dr. Evil (my favourite character in the film).

The rest of the support cast, including the formidable Michael York and Robert Wagner, and the beautiful Mimi Rogers and Elizabeth Hurley, are cannon-fodder for Myers sizable talent - he wrote the movie as well.

Some material doesn't work, but most of it is smashin'. Yeah baby, yeah!

Saturday, July 10, 1999 - Video
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
CigarsAndPars24 November 1998
If I had to describe this movie in one word, I would say: Flat. Boredom interrupted by a few good lines. People calling it the 'funniest movie ever' should watch some really funny movies like 'The Party', 'Take the Money and Run', 'Play It Again, Sam', 'Airplane 1/2', 'Naked Gun' series, etc. Then come back and tell me where Austin Powers really belongs. This movie would have been a great one if it was shortened to 10 minutes. All in all, it is below average at best. Very much like Wayne's World 1/2 - all good punchlines fit nicely in the trailer. Duh.
10 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Neat, blasé comedy which gets the little things right on top of being a fun, energetic experience.
johnnyboyz25 August 2013
The humour at the centre of Austin Powers revolves around the stupidity of its two predominant characters, that is to say its eponymous hero and scheming chief villain. Neither character possess the requisite cans one needs to make up a six pack and yet in this film's mixed up universe, both of them have attained somewhat of a powerful position and the top of their respective fields. The pair, both of whom are depicted with ample relish by Mike Myers, embody a string of physical western traits often synonymous with fictitious heroes and villains, but with boundaries blurred in regards to their emotional states. In Austin Powers, the idea of the heroic cultural icon (who makes friends easily and exudes patriotism via his sports car decked out in the Union Jack) is cruelly undercut by distorted facial features and rampaging nymphomania. Likewise, his arch nemesis Dr. Evil is hideously hunched, scarred and intent on world domination - yet melts when he realises he possesses offspring. The pair of them are complete idiots, and they go about their business incompetently and badly - Powers just happens to always win because he is slightly less of an idiot.

Jay Roach's 1997 film is an amusing spoof, one which predominantly targets that of the spy thriller; more specifically the James Bond franchise, although Powers himself resembles Michal Caine's Harry Palmer, another lead from a British spy series of the 1960s. It remembers that getting the narrative right in these sorts of things is just as important as sending up as much visual material as possible. The tone and excessive use of the voice-over in something like "The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad!" are as important to the comedy as anything visually amusing in that film. Likewise with 2009's "Black Dynamite", wherein a narrative regarding the death of the lead's brother and the ridiculously complicated plot to do a governmental drug cover-up was just as crucial in its homage to poorly constructed grindhouse of the 1970s as anything else.

It isn't a well-kept secret that, at the worst of times, stories in James Bond movies have often been derivative and simplistic. Bond movies are, in spite of their prestigious reputation and huge budgets, often mere B-movies dressed up as A-movies. "Powers" depicts a madman looking to erupt each and every volcano in the world for profitable means, something not too far removed from a Bond villain's idea but here played with the sort of happy, absurd energy often missing from a Bond film out of that fact if they don't play that for grimaces, they're going to look quite silly. The film begins in the 1960s and our resident lead's superiority over all whom attempt to vanquish him is reiterated by Dr. Evil in his conversing with several of the world's lead assassins: a ragtag bunch of Arabs, Latin Americans and paraplegics - none of whom have been so far able to kill Powers. Powers himself is a man introduced to us with his own exuberant song and dance number on a London street; a street so free of anything wrongful or nasty, you'd think they were paved with gold had there not been so many instances of a mid-shot being applied.

After a skirmish at a local nightspot, Evil decides to freeze himself so that he may wreak havoc and chaos in the future; Powers additionally so in order to be able to thwart the man – the plot is essentially "Demolition Man". Social issues arise when both men are thawed in 1997, as life in each of the respective decades for the film's lead is pointed out as being very different. While far from a deeply engaging social critique of attitudes towards sexuality and communication, there is a timely sense of realisation during a montage whereby Powers learns of this newfound decade whereby everything he stood for in the past (speech, attitudes and even finger gestures) have effectively been rendered irrelevant. These scenes might very well be the film's best. On one hand, the film has things the wrong way around: people are far more prone to easy, anonymous sex in the present day when compared to forty years ago, where chaste attitudes were encouraged and people often subscribed to it. Furthermore, the sort of dialogue synonymous with Powers in the 60's would be far better suited to this incumbent climate, where the on-going rape of the English language in the form of abbreviations and acronyms making-do for words is the norm.

Unfortunately, the film pulls its punches on any social scientific study in regards to the streets of London; where marching bands, warm smiles, cars decked out in the national colours and dance numbers have seemingly been replaced by swathes of immigrants that has rendered parts of the city as un-British as possible. The film itself is riddled with childish humour and inert remarks, but so what? Powers acts like a maniac in regards to sexual interaction, but resists taking advantage of women when they're drunk and is visibly nervous, even frightened, when the silhouette of a seductive young woman nude dominates his field of vision. My favourite scenes take place at the card table, wherein Powers loses a hand of blackjack with a five following a mean exchange with a baddie and double takes when he hears Alotta Fagina's name for the first time. The film isn't smart but it's smart enough; it knows its limits and never oversteps the mark, it's colourful and loud but never aggressive. There is a competent madness to "International Man of Mystery" and it's quite hard not to enjoy.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Austin Powers - A Man Of Mystery
Sam_Loves_Friends5 May 2007
Austin Powers 1 is a clever sexual comedy with seat-off-the-pants action.

When I first watched this film, my parents asked me to because my father was coming back from Canberra and it's one of his favorite movies.

So I begged them to watch Mrs Doubtfire but instead we watched Austin Powers 1. I thought it was going to be boring, but watched anyway, just to be polite.

One quarter through the movie I was in love with it! I loved Mike myers from the beginning, but never knew that he could be so funny! He was absolutely hilarious and that drew me to watch the rest of them!
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Yeah Baby,.Groovy
bkoganbing15 December 2009
When he made Austin Powers: International Man Of Mystery Mike Myers aspired to comic greatness, the kind we had not seen on the screen since Peter Sellers. Only Sellers and Alec Guinness could create so many believable characters in the same film and make them work the way Myers does with Austin Powers and his perennial nemesis Doctor Evil.

Hard to believe, but back in the swinging London of the Sixties, the British kids really did dress like Austin Powers. The key to Powers character is that whether he's in the Sixties or the Nineties, he's still an overgrown kid.

The film is like the old Batman TV series where the Gotham City Police Department is good enough at dealing with ordinary criminals. But when exotic types like the Joker or the Penguin threaten the law and order of Gotham City, Commissioner Gordon reaches for the Batphone and Adam West and Burt Ward start doing their thing in tights.

Powers is on the verge of nabbing Doctor Evil back in the day when the doctor takes off in a rocketship and cryogenically freezes himself. It's also some rocketship if I do say so. Not to be outdone, British Intelligence cryogenically freezes Austin Powers because he's the only man capable of dealing with Evil in their service.

Both men have to adapt to a culture shock. Doctor Evil has mixed feelings about the test tube baby son he fathered in Seth Green. As for Powers, he's not quite fathoming the fact that his Emma Peel like partner Mimi Rogers from back in the day has a daughter in Elizabeth Hurley doing her bit in the family spy business.

Michael York as the M character and Powers boss and Robert Wagner as Number 2 in the Evil Empire both look like they're having a really good time hamming up their parts. There's also a nice unbilled part by Tom Arnold as a cowboy in the men's room with Powers when one of the Evil assassins tries to get him.

A lot of good laughs in this first Austin Powers film, I do so hope Mike Myers does make still another one.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the greatest 90s comedies
knightadiaz9 June 2003
This is right up there with The Big Lebowski. Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery is actually funny, unlike its sequels. Its an excellent parody of the James Bond films, while adding an additional theme of the free love of the '60s, and how it would be received in the '90s. Its sweet, from the "Thats not a woman, that's a man, man", to "That looks just like Uranus". The soundtrack is sweet, the acting is superb, and that just translates into a masterpiece. What a work of art. I have never seen such a good comedy since "The Big Lebowski", but this is better.
10 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
completely repugnant "comedy"
toddrandall683 February 2006
Mike Myers is a comedic genius. His writing and performance on Saturday Night Live is one of the best. I would even say he might (pound for pound) be as good, if not better, than Belushi, Akroyd, Murray, or Murphy. Waynes World and Sprockets was some of the funniest work I've seen on SNL. That is why it pains me to say that Austin Powers was such repugnant, puerile, adolescent horse crap that I have ever seen. Ther was so much to work with in this amazing concept. This could have been the best comedy of the 90's, but the writing and performances by everyone made this one of the worst comedys since Porkys. Tom Arnold has a cameo performance in Austin Powers, and I have to say that his scene with Myers in the bathroom repeating "who does #2 work for?" has got to be the least amusing and utterly repugnant things I have ever seen. Tom Arnold is a very funny man too, but that performance would drive a person to insanity. I have never even bothered with the lame sequels to this crap. Other SNL alum movies have never been that good, the only exception being "The Blues Brothers." But Austin Powers is such shrill adolescence that the only value I could find in this crap was that the DVD or VHS would find a good home in a landfill.
7 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Asinine, juvenile, dull
GeoffL3 December 1998
Every now and again, a movie truly surprises me. I am absolutely amazed that someone could make a movie as unfunny as this one; Mike Myers seems to be under the delusion that a lame joke, if repeated enough times, will be funny.This movie is a (heavy-handed) parody of the Bond movies, but that's not enough to save it. Here's a typically deft jab at Bond villains:

"I have an even better idea. I'm going to place him in an easily escapable situation involving an overly elaborate and exotic death"

Tiresome drivel.
9 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
There's a good movie in here somewhere, trying to get out
Wayner5030 April 2006
All the movies in this series are pretty much the same, silly attempts at satire, tired sex jokes, puns instead of names,plots that get going and then veer off into something (or nothing else) and wasted talent. You've got to hand it to Mike, he'll do anything for a laugh, but unfortunately most of what he does, won't get one. Every so often, a funny line or situation pops up, such as when Dr. Evil demands a million dollars in international blackmail and his intended victims laugh their heads off, but there are far too few of these, and they're quickly pushed away to make room for some weak sex joke or pun. If only the effort that Mike put into his role of Austin would have gone into a coherent and competent script, there would have been a good movie here. Waste of talent and effort.
Gut-wrenchingly Terrible
Shawn Watson19 June 2001
At 89 minutes long (including end credits) you cannot expect anything more than for us to be robbed in broad daylight. Mike Myers is no great writer that's for damn sure.

Apart from Austin Powers, Wayne Campbell, Axe Murderer and 54 has he ever been in a good movie? No. Wayne's World is hardly a plot driven film. Neither are the Austin Powers movies. Or Axe Murderer. 54 is junk.

He should not be a star. Or a Megastar (which some people think he is). For this film he and Liz Hurley are underground in the Nevada desert. She is wearing this silver two-piece costume. 2 minutes later she is back at the Riviera hotel in a leather costume and another 2 minutes later she's back underground in the Nevada desert (?!).

And another, there is no definitive version of this movie (not that I actually care) and almost every version has numerous added/deleted scenes. Why? All this film is is an excuse to throw up some stupid humor and this is proof of it.

But the worst part is how people STILL TO THIS DAY go "yeah baby" and all that nonsense. Ugh! It makes me so mad. THAT is not comedy and it doesn't deserve to be treated so. When will it ever stop????? Never buy this or watch it. You have been warned.
Ogden Knight27 June 1999
If you are into crude, sophomoric jokes and think that penis-centered humor is your bag, this movie is for you. The music was great, as were the costumes. Beyond that, I just don't see what all the hype was about. Maybe I am just getting prudish in my late 20's...
Worst Comedy Ever!!!!!!!!!
stardragon9782 October 2001
I feel sorry for all you Powers fans out there. There are better comedies out there than this junk. This is one of the few movies that I can actually fall asleep to! If your idea of comedy is toilet jokes and stupid phrases, than this movie is for you. Otherwise avoid this movie!!!!
8 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this