IMDb > The Prophecy II (1998) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Solid sequel

Author: Ivan Ravenous from California
17 May 2000

While not quite equal to the original, I found Prophecy II to be very very good, especially considering it's a sequel. I've read a lot of bad reviews of this film, which I don't understand. It seems so much like the original to me, and the original instantly became one of my favorite movies.

As a bonus (to me anyway) one of my favorite actors, Tom Towles, has a small role.

The scene just before the ending is absolutely breathtaking.

So below standard

Author: Spidey-18 from America
4 October 1999

The Prophecy II was an ok movie but it lacked a certain quality the first had. I mean, the first one was so much better there is no comparison. Christopher Walken comes back to play Gabriel, but that and a few humorous sections were all that was good about this film. The ending was the best part. Too bad you have to watch the whole thing to get to it. If you've seen and liked the first, then I recommend watching this one, but don't have too high of expectations.

Seriously lacking in the original story, but still entertaining

Author: kalel32688 from Bethesda, Maryland, USA
5 March 2004

In this sequel to "The Prophecy", Christopher Walken returns as the renegade Archangel Gabriel, who, after years of torment in Hell, is returned to the earthly plane by Lucifer, who had decided that Hell isn't big enough for the two of them. Again Gabriel seeks to end mankind's reign on Earth, but instead of searching for the perfect evil soul to achieve his ends, Gabriel is now in search of the one thing that can defeat him: a Nephilim, a being born of a human woman and an angel. Los Angeles nurse Valerie Rosales (Jennifer Beales) is the mother of this being, having been impregnated by the angel Danyael (Russell Wong), who now seeks to protect Valerie from Gabriel. As in the first film, Gabriel is (quite hilariously) inept when it comes to modern technology, so he "enlists" the services of Izzy (Britney Murphy), a depressed teenager whom he resurrects after she commits suicide.

"The Prophecy II" was seriously lacking in the story ideas established in the first film. Thomas Daggett, the hero from that film, appears briefly, only to meet a horrible end at the hands of Gabriel. (Sorry for the spoiler, but I personally feel this is a minor plot point.) Yet, the film was still entertaining, even though it might take a while for viewers to piece things together. Christopher Walken is simultaneously quirky and creepy as always, while Jennifer Beals, Russell Wong, Britney Murphy, and Eric Roberts (as the angel Michael) deliver decent performances. While the story lines from the first movie were dismissed in this film, this sequel sort of makes up for that by continuing the Nephilim concept established here in the third installment, "The Prophecy III: The Ascent." All in all, I give "The Prophecy II" a 5 out of 10 on a scale of 1 to 10 in my humble opinion.

The Prophecy II: continuation of a great plot, great supporting characters, and the amazing Christopher Walken....

Author: aperfecttool9 from El Paso, TX
29 November 2002

Last week, I rented The Prophecy, out of nowhere. I am glad I did, because I had been walking past that box on the shelf at the video store for a few years. After viewing that, I had to see the second. So, two nights ago, I rented the second one. I just watched this movie, got on the IMDb, and read all of the user reviews. I must say that I am shocked to see how many people did not like this sequel. To anyone who cannot understand the plot, I ask why? It is so simple! Christopher Walken returns as Gabriel, and once again shows us why he is one of the greatest actors of all time (and one of my personal favorites). The beautiful Brittany Murphy gives an untouchable performance, and her scenes with Walken are definitely ones to see. Russell Wong and Jennifer Beals also give good performances. The dialogue, though penned by another screenwriter, is just as good as the first. When I watched the movie, I had no idea it was another writer - I thought it was the same guy! While I think the first movie was slightly better, this is definitely a worthy sequel. I can't wait to rent part 3!

***** Warning: Spoilers Ahead!!! *****

To all those people who can't understand the plot, maybe you should give the movie another watch. In simplest terms: Gabriel has to stop the birth of a child that will end the second war in Heaven. Is that so hard?

***** E N D S P O I L E R S *****

All in all, you should see this movie - but make sure you see the original Prophecy first!

Oh, man!

Author: Dan (jugg-2) from Seattle, Washington
18 November 1999

This is another example of a sucky sequel to a great movie. I highly recommend The Prophecy, but this movie was a dud from the start. The acting was decent all the way around, but the story line was weak and added nothing to the origional. A 4 out of 10 at best.

Story Is Laughable, But Walken Fun To Watch

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
9 November 2006

This is one of those films I could rip up unmercifully because the Biblical theology is so brutal - no incorrect, so preposterous, outrageous, stupid, etc. - that it an insult to anyone with any knowledge of The Book. For those viewers of this film who don't, who knows what they'll believe. Hopefully, none of the stuff in here. It also makes evil look cool and the worst "angel" - Gabriel (Christopher Walken) is not only evil and cool, but has a great a sense of humor. Gosh, ya gotta love the guy! Well, no surprise Hollywood would do that.

Having said that, though, and for strictly entertainment value and nothing else, the movie isn't half bad! Walken, regardless of his role, is always fun to watch, the story moves fast and it's only 80 minutes long. You could do worse.

Still relies too much on Walken - but a worthy sequel to an underrated first flick.

Author: oneguyrambling from Australia
10 December 2010

To get us started here is a quick recap of the original film:

The Angels in heaven have split into two factions and are at war. One side is envious of the gifts God has bestowed upon humankind and basically wants to wipe out the human race, the other thinks "be cool Mun", and just wants everyone to get along.

In the first film there was an evil soul that could turn the tide of the angelic war if it fell in the wrong hands.

In this film there is also something that might provide a great advantage to either side, in this case it is an unborn child, and this time as we are told early in the piece "the war between angels has come to Earth".

Thomas Daggett, the ex-priest turned cop from the first film has understandably lost the plot and is holed up in a monastery mumbling to himself nonsensically and scribbling down his visions. (He has also changed from Elias Koteas to some other actor.)

This film revolves around a young woman named Valerie (Jennifer Beales), who looks very much like Valerie Madsen from the first film, only if she was a brunette and had longer hair. Anyway in this film Val is driving along minding her own business when she hits a guy. Now I won't say he was a pedestrian because he wasn't walking, he literally "fell from the sky", being a film about angels we can guess where he has come from...

His name is Danyael, and when a distraught Val takes him to the hospital he is friendly enough to mouth "Don't be afraid" as he is wheeled into the emergency room, despite the fact that he should be all types of f*cked up.

Meanwhile Tommy Daggett continues to be crazy with all the visions.

There is a cool "Terminator" scene where someone is seemingly "born" from beneath the Earth's surface, somewhere fiery and dare I say it "hellish"?

Good old Gabriel is back baby!! (At least they had the sense to bring back the best character from the first film, although while filming this Christopher Walken must have missed out on another 4 or 5 crappy films that he would ordinarily have taken. The man seems to have no quality screening mechanism.)

In the next 20 minutes of screen time Danyael makes a miraculous recovery, chats up Val and gets her four months pregnant in 2 days. Now that's potency!

Gabriel also decides to visit Tommy for assistance and without expanding Thomas Daggett plays no further part in this, nor the 4 other sequels!

It turns out that Valerie's unborn child will be the key figure in the angelic war, having been born of woman and angel known as a nephalim. In short Gabriel and Co want to remove it from the picture by any means necessary, and Danyael and Co swear to protect it.

Despite the mounting evidence;

- the recovered car crash victim, - the 4 months in 2 days pregnancy, - dead bodies with no eyes and organs, - a warning from both the mortician who says "this has happened before, get away!", - and a chat with Thomas Daggett's priest who says much the same ... Valerie is still skeptical, until Gabriel shows up and tries to rip the unborn child from her, somewhat against her will I would guess. And the rest of the film is basically a keep-e-off game between Gabriel and Danyael, with Valerie and her belly-bun as the ball.

There is ample opportunity for this film to veer into Highlander cheesy territory, but the reason that it does not is basically the fact that everyone plays it straight... except Walken's Gabriel.

Gabriel hams it up in every Prophecy film he appears in, which is actually a good thing folks. Gabriel openly detests humans, he can sniff and taste them, but can't drive or use a computer. As with the first film he takes a recently deceased re-animated assistant to complete such menial tasks, in this film it is actually Izzy, a recent suicide pact victim who just wants things to be the way they were when she was dead. (I guess she got her wish recently!) Gabriel treats her with disdain, bullies her and orders her around, playing the bad guy card beautifully.

Without Christopher Walken there would have been no Prophecy 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6. I know he wasn't in the last couple, but this series would have died at 1 without his presence. (And I am not even a die-hard Walken fan like some.)

This could have been "Big guys in dark coats speaking formally while reading bible verses perched on a rooftop 2", but that probably didn't fit on the poster.

Thankfully the filmmaker who took the reins from the original had sense to hold true to the tone, rely on the story rather than big stunts and hokey chase sequences, and kept things simple enough to not lose track. The music is similar to the original, which is a good thing, and they also use the effective (but annoying when a 3 year old is asleep in the next room ) technique of hushed dialogue and loud effects and action.

I fully expected The Prophecy 2 to suck when I first watched it, and even recently when I dragged it out again I thought rewatching it would uncover hidden flaws and disappoint. It doesn't.

Final Rating - 7.5 / 10. A case of second verse, much the same as the first, but a worthy sequel to a great film.

pretty decent sequel

Author: disdressed12 from Canada
21 February 2010

while i didn't think this movie was quite as good as the first it was still pretty good.Christopher Walken returns and once again steals the show.his character has some great lines,and provides some laughs as well.Brittany Murphy is good here as well.Jennifer Beals was adequate,although i didn't find her performance outstanding.the movie itself was pretty decent,although it loses momentum a few times and i felt it lagged a bit in spots.and i though the ending was actually very good,though.not something you would normally expect from this type of movie.or at least i wouldn't think so.overall,despite some weak points,-having Christopher Walken,some humorous touches,and good ending elevate this sequel.for me,The Prophecy II is a 7/10

Mediocre Sequel

Author: Bensch from Salzburg, Austria
29 February 2008

I personally liked "The Prophecy" of 1995 a lot. Christopher Walken was, as always, great, and even though the film wasn't flawless, it was a creepy and highly original Horror/Fantasy film that entertained immensely. This inferior 1998 sequel is still worth watching, but mainly due to Walken. Walken is one of the greatest actors around, in my opinion, and he is once again outstanding in the role of the fallen Archangel Gabriel, whom he plays for the second time here. Once again, the war between fallen and loyal Angels is brought to earth. Gabriel returns in order to prevent the birth of a child, namely the child of the angel Danyael (Russel Wong) and the human woman Valerie (Jennifer Beals). This child could once be the determining factor of the celestial war... As I said above, Christopher Walken is once again excellent as Gabriel. Besides Gabriel, however, "The Prophecy II" sadly also includes a bunch of terribly annoying characters. The character of Valerie was annoying enough, and Danayel annoyed me even more. The biggest pain in the ass, however was the character of Izzy (played by Brittany Murphy), a suicidal girl who wouldn't shut up. Still, Walken's performance isn't the only redeeming quality of the film. The entire film is quite dreary, and well-shot in dark colors, which contributes a lot to the atmosphere. Gabriel's resurrection scene in the beginning is furthermore quite impressive, and one of the coolest moments in any of the "Prophecy" films. "The Prophecy II" is nevertheless the weakest of the three "Prophecy" films with Walken. Definitely a Christopher Walken one-man-show, entertaining, but nothing beyond that.

Christopher Walken is awesome, the movie just isn't.

Author: Boba_Fett1138 from Groningen, The Netherlands
28 February 2010

I'll give this movie one thing though, I enjoyed watching this one better than the original. It had a more coherent story but thing with it story still was that it just wasn't very good. Not very good is perhaps not the best way to describe it. It's more that it's just very standards stuff all, like we have seen in literally dozens of movies before.

So no "The Prophecy II" does not take any originality prizes but at least the movie was watchable, which is not something I can say about the first movie, from 3 years earlier. Seems like I'm one of the few people who doesn't like the fist movie "The Prophecy", so it was sort of surprised with the fact that I sort of liked watching this sequel and thought that it was an improvement over the first movie.

Even though its an incredibly standard movie there are still some elements in it that make it stand out. The biggest one is Christopher Walken. He really enjoys playing this role, which must be the reason why he also is in the first 3 movies out of the series. I mean, I don't think he got rich from playing in these cheap and straight-to-video movies. He is the foremost and perhaps only reason why the overall movie is still a fun one to watch. He plays his character with lots of passion and dark humor without ever going too over-the-top with it.

There are some other well known actors in this movie as well, such as Russell Wong, Jennifer Beals, Brittany Murphy and Eric Roberts. Never quite understood why these movies always managed to have such a great cast with some big name actors in it.

It certainly also helps that the movie isn't too long. It keeps the pace pleasantly high and luckily there is also plenty of action happening, though it's far from anything too impressive, just as the overall movie is.

Forgettable but a good enough movie and sequel.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]