IMDb > Air Force One (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Air Force One

Air Force One More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 40: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Cheesy, shallow "patriotic" action

Author: tatamata1 from Macedonia
8 July 2007

Unless you like unrealistic action movies where brain needs to be turned off - don't even bother watching this one. Bullets are flying around, planes are exploding, people are fighting in the opened cargo area on 30,000 feet...

The flag is waving in every scene. Every. Even if it is not visible, it is there somewhere - in a dialog, in an American missile destroying a MIG, in the way the president orders everyone else to leave the doomed plane before himself... people are jumping to take the bullet for the president, even pilots placing their fighters to take the missile for the AF1 (oh, gosh, that was something)!

It is extremely unrealistic, but hey - it's an action movie. That's the only reason I gave it two instead of one star - I guess it has all the elements an action movie is expected to have.

So to summarize - this movie has a clear distinction between the good and the bad guys, ridiculous plot, cheesy music, the kind of patriotism and propaganda that makes you laugh... It is so shallow that it makes your brain hurt.

Vote Harrison Ford for President!

Author: emasterslake from United States
1 January 2007

I didn't see this one till Spring 2006. But after seeing it, I consider it a classic action pack film.

It's been 3 weeks since the U.S. troops captured a communist general of the former Soviet Union. President Jim Marshall of the U.S. went to visit Moscow Russia for his speech on his view of terrorism and the prevention of another Cold War. After an applause from the Russians, the President was guided to his private air craft, "Air Force One".

The plane itself is one of a kind for the Nation's greatest leader. With highly advance additions and access to D.C. can make it an alternate control on the nation.

Jim Marshall is looking forward to getting back to Washington along with his Family who came with him on the trip. After take off, all seem peaceful on the plane. Until a group of terrorists hijacked the plane. With an outbreak of terror and panic. The hijackers hold all the passengers as hostages and took control of the aircraft as they demand that the president will give the Russian government permission to free their general. But the president isn't going to give up with out a fight.

It's action, thrilling, and breathe taking all in one plane. I liked the way this film was made, designed, and believable. Harrison Ford gave a great performance as the President. Having him as the Nation's leader would be awesome, especially when he has a better way of dealing terrorists than George W. Bush does. Gary Oldman was also great as the lead of the terrorists, he should get a round of applause for portraying as an S.O.B.

The special effects are super for only being 9 years old. And it's a highly recommended movie for all the die-hard Ford fans.

Tense action thriller features a magnetic and heroic President

Author: roghache from Canada
6 June 2006

While not particularly believable, this is certainly an entertaining and suspenseful action thriller. The improbable tale revolves around the fictional U.S. President Marshall who is returning via Air Force One to the States after giving a speech in Moscow. After Russian hijackers seize the plane, they threaten to execute one hostage every half hour until their demands are met for release of a Russian terrorist, General Raddack. They believe the President himself has left the plane on an escape pod. However, he has stayed behind, hiding and employing various tactics to rescue his wife and daughter who are still aboard. A former soldier himself and Medal of Honour winner from the Vietnam War, he proves himself an adversary to be reckoned with.

For me, this movie is all about two factors. First its setting aboard the Presidential jet Air Force One naturally engrosses the viewer. Everyone is captivated by the details of the Presidential airplane and the horrific prospect of a hijacking.

Second, the magnetic Harrison Ford is perfect in the role of President Marshall, a compelling figure who is outraged at the seizure of his plane. This devoted family man is faced with the wrenching choice of giving in to terrorist demands or endangering the lives of his wife and daughter. He refuses to compromise but proves himself willing to undergo any risks involved in order to protect his family. Other stars include Gary Odman as the head Russian terrorist and Glenn Close as the Vice President.

This exciting movie features suitably dramatic and patriotic musical scoring by the wonderfully talented late Jerry Goldsmith. My only complaints are the considerable violence as well as some profanity. However, it certainly has non stop action and tense drama to keep you on the edge of your seat. There are truly evil villains but also a compelling hero who's dedicated to both his country and his family. Overall this movie is simply a lot of fun to watch.

It's fun and isn't that kind of the point?

Author: hall895 from New Jersey
16 June 2005

OK, if you're looking for something like The Godfather or Citizen Kane you've probably come to the wrong place. But you knew that going in. Air Force One is what it is, a typical big-budget Hollywood action thriller where the plot (such as it is) gets put on the back burner while a bunch of people get shot and a lot of things get blown up. This is not meant to be thought-provoking serious cinema. It's meant to be fun and in that it succeeds.

As the movie begins President James Marshall, played by Harrison Ford, is flying home from Russia where he has just given a speech outlining America's policy of not negotiating with terrorists. And, oh sweet irony, his plane is immediately hijacked by terrorists. The hijackers, whose leader is played by the wonderfully sinister Gary Oldman, are Russians angling for the release of a political prisoner. So now President Marshall's no-negotiations policy will be put to the test. Does he stand firm or give in to the terrorists' demands to save himself and his family? Oh yes, his family. Because we simply must have a terrified wife and child on board to ratchet up the drama, no? Anyhow while other politicians (including Vice President...Glenn Close? Hey look, a female Vice President, aren't we progressive say the filmmakers) consider giving in to the terrorists' demands, President Marshall takes matters into his own hands. While he might be getting a little old for this, Ford is a reliable action hero and he does what he does best. And Oldman is a worthy foil for him although his over the top accent gets a little tiresome. Putting the accent aside, Oldman does an otherwise perfect job of playing the villain. Such a role could be quite clichéd but he pulls it off brilliantly. But it's really Ford's movie and he is up to the task. Air Force One is not meant to be taken all that seriously. Just sit back, enjoy the action, appreciate the fine performances of the two leads and this one will be worth your while.

Good enough

Author: Idocamstuf from Greenville, NY
10 March 2003

This is one of those movies that is nothing original or anything, but its easy enough to sit through. Harrison Ford is still in top form here as the butt-kicking president. Some great action sequences are the key element to this film's success which makes up for the rather dumb script and unoriginal story. I think this is the best action thriller Ford has had since Frantic(1988). Nice supporting performance by Glenn Close as the vice president as well. Overall not a bad night at the movies. *** out of *****.

Did the budget run out?

Author: peter wheeldon from Nottingham, England
24 September 2002

Having read through a few comments on this movie, I'm amazed that there are no comments on the final scene. Without wishing to spoil the film for anyone who has not seen it yet, it involves possibly the worst CGI I have ever seen. The movie preceding it was a bland piece of candyfloss, but that finale really was a "sit up in disbelief" moment. My first thought was that it was an outtake from the Resident Evil" on the Playstation!

Just watch the movie

Author: sheanazar from Louisiana
2 July 2002

This is a very entertaining movie. For the begining to the end. The acting was superb. Also, they had real life russian actors. Not some cheesey actors, trying to be russian. This is one of the best movies for gary oldman, glenn close, and harrison ford. Bar none. Whoever says people in action movies can't act, need to watch this movie. This movie is electrifying.

Good for the American spirit

Author: tyddylee from Taipei, Taiwan
13 February 2002

While I have watched this video film for not countable times, I have again today. It was not only a dramatic show in the air or of Harrison Ford himself. I think it best illustrates the braveness of the mankind, and what a great leader of a great nation should be.

And I also agree with what the President (played by Ford) has said in the movie. Terrorism has always been nightmare to the world peace. We all know that there might be some mistreatment from the core powers to the periphery countries, but terror should never been a way to counter the mistreatment. We have to stand straight and say no to those who might be interested to stir terrorist behavior.

One of the greatest "junk" movies ever made!

Author: nalobcram from USA
29 December 2001

Of course "AF1" has more plot holes than a Jerry Bruckheimer film, but watching this movie back in 1997 was one of the biggest cinema joys in recent years! "AF1" is a MUST for all Ford fans, as well as fans of action. Wolf Petersen is one of my favorite directors, he makes this movie 'take off' and really 'fly' with excitement. I also should say, Gary Oldman is probably the greatest working film actor today who has never been nominated for an Oscar, (as far as I know). I'm not saying "AF1" is 'Oscar material' but I'd rather watch this than something like "The Last Emperor". "AF1" may go down in my book as Harrison Ford's last great action role, so what if it's unbelievable?

Final rating: 8/10 "Almost a classic. It has it's flaws but is an otherwise very memorable film."

Its a movie.

Author: Daniel J Taylor (dan_pacino@hotmail.com) from Napier, New Zealand
2 November 2001

Air Force One was the movie in which two of my favourite actors, Gary Oldman (The Contender) and Harrison Ford (Star Wars), got to duke it out.

Many people seem to bash this movie as it is 'too unrealistic' or 'not deep enough'. Lighten up, this is supposed to be a light hearted action thriller, not another Shawshank Redemption. My only problem is with Glen Close, she sucks. For its entertainment value and the fact it had Gary Oldman in it I would give it 8 out of 10.