Air Force One (1997) Poster

(1997)

Fun to watch, if you do not make a big deal out of technical accuracy.
Randall Cameron19 June 2005
Very entertaining action, once you get past the "believability" problems, i.e., terrorists getting on the plane at all, the plane having an on-board armory, Secret Service agents' inability to shoot accurately, etc.

Acting is good enough that you care about the characters.

As others have noted, the CGI aerial sequences sometimes have the aircraft moving in unnatural or impossible ways, and this is visually jarring. (After the touch-and-go, Air Force One turns a 180 almost like a helicopter) I gave it a 7 out of 10 - not brilliant, but makes for an entertaining evening.
34 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A good action-adventure film with great special effects…
Nazi_Fighter_David11 May 2008
Marshall is the kind of President referred to a change in the U.S. foreign policy… He took a great risk when he stated that America will no longer tolerate any terrorist government… His policy is soon put in practice when he boards his plane on his way home…

Once is in the sky, 'Air Force One' is hijacked and currently controlled by Russian radicals who ask for the release of their leader or they'll execute a prisoner every half hour…

Harrison Ford is the action hero making his way through the plane taking out few terrorists, managing to free several hostages, trying to get to his wife and daughter who are prisoners on board…

Gary Oldman almost steals the show as the head terrorist Ivan Korshunov who takes over the president's plane…

Beautifully directed by Wolfgang Petersen who controls the action with his usual extreme intelligence, building the challenge with captivating, tense sequences from every compartment of the huge aircraft to the White House contingent in Washington…
55 out of 81 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It is what it is......fun
Alvsy0077 March 2005
Nonstop action, thrilling suspense, dark humor, and a brilliant concept, this flag waving over the top action adventure was a good two hours in 1997.

The story: Enroute back to the States from Russia, Russian Nationals hijack the President's plane and hold him and his family (as well as most of his staff) hostage aboard Air Force One in order to release a Rouge General captured earlier.

Harrison Ford from his first minute to his last looks comfortable in his Presidential role. That's to say, Ford appears, acts and just plain feels like he should be President. (Come one who saw this movie and wanted him to run). Gary Oldman's performance as the main villain (Ivan) should be up there with the likes of Alan Rickman's Hans from Die Hard and John Malkovich's Leary-Booth-Carney from In the Line of Fire (coincidentally directed by Wolfgang Peterson as well). Glenn Close pulls of the Vice President role with smirks and spunk.

Stars aside I think the supporting cast should get an equal if not harder pat on the back. These guys…and girls…. really made the movie. They're the ones that brought the chuckles and caused gasps. Wendy Crewson (The Good Son) nailed her role with more grace than a first lady has actually shown in the last recallable years. Paul Guilfoyle ("CSI", The Negotiator), was the kind gentle, "best buddy", chief-of-staff, who brought a small smile to your face every time he is on-screen. Xander Berkeley ("24", Terminator 2), plays the chilling secret service agent Gibbs. The lovable William H. Macy plays the good-mannered Air Force Officer who puts himself in harm's way for the President more time than the Secret Service agents do. He just doesn't get enough screen time toward the beginning. And Dean Stockwell will have you cussing under your breath as the power-hungry Secretary of Defense. And it seems that Wolfgang Peterson watched every great Action/Military movie of the past 3 years and hired all those "briefing room generals". For this I applaud him. As for the terrorist, they rival those of Die hard. Cold, stone-faced, funny, smooth, and just plain hateable, they did their job.

The bulk of the movie takes place aboard the Air Force One no kidding eh?). And boy do you believe it. The production designer (Williams Sandell) obviously paid attention to detail, mimicking the real Presidential Aircraft. Small, claustrophobic and believable.

Andrew W. Marlowe's script gets it job done as well. Nothing award winning. It's everything you would expect given the story it has to tell. Couple times it will make you cringe, but again, look what it needs to accomplish.

The late Jerry Goldsmith's score for this movie is a hands down classic. Only having two weeks to score the film after Peterson rejected Randy Newman's work, Goldsmith with the help of Joel Mcneely composed one of the most bombastic, riveting, emotional, suspenseful, and patriotic scores I've heard come out of the film world. It works perfectly with the movie.

A few times your mind is going to be stretch you may have to resort to the "It's just a movie" mindset. Overall its fun. Not a bad way to spend 2 hours. Harrison Ford for President.
54 out of 82 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Holy Cremoly!
phiggins4 September 2006
Air Force One features Harrison Ford, Glenn Close, Gary Oldman, Dean Stockewell, and William H. Macy. A dream cast! In the freshest, friskiest, funniest, laugh-out-loudest comedy of the year! Cheer as President Harrison Ford takes on the baddies all by himself – "Right now, he's our only hope". Hiss as Dean Stockwell tries to get Glenn Close to sign away power and "take down Air Force One". Will she sign? Like hell! Sigh with relief when the fax machine stalls, stalls a little longer, and then… just when we'd given up hope… stalls a little longer, and then works! Clap like a whacked-out space cadet on class-a drugs when the fax lady parachutes to safety. Scratch your head a little when you realise that the big plot device of the bad guys having a guy on the inside is of no interest or use whatsoever. Ponder for a long time just why Gary Oldman's character doesn't just shoot the wife and the kid, for crying out loud. Marvel at the advances in special effects technology that can make a plane crash in a big budget movie look like a plane crash in a primitive video game. Thrills! Spills! Drama! Action! Utter, utter, crap!
64 out of 100 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
America, fock yeah
Christian Heynk7 September 2007
Now I admired the director Wolfgang Petersen after seeing DAS BOOT. This was a flick where I thought: Can't get any better. Of course, at the time, people obviously considered Hollywood a smart career move, but if we now take a look at Petersen's Hollywood films, I really think he should have stayed in Germany. Sure, he wouldn't have the money that he's having at his disposal now, but remember: DAS BOOT had a rather infinitesimal budget and nevertheless managed to thrill, enlighten and entertain millions of viewers. Now, what do we have: A German director who directs patriotic and nationalistic filth that invites the average American Joe to believe in the moral and military superiority of his own country. A movie that doesn't really discuss the topics at hand and divides the cast into good and evil with no shades of grey at all. There's one scene where Gary Oldman as the terrorist aboard the plane says to the president's daughter: Do you think your father is a better man because he's wearing a tie and a suit and because he uses smart bombs? I found this scene to be very interesting, however, in the film it is not dwelt upon. Instead we get Harrison Ford playing the father and leader of clean, wholesome politically America and being politically correct and charming and funny and whatnot. What's the moral of this film: God bless America and no place else.
44 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It doesn't get much worse than this
photobyalan5 April 2006
**Warning** Possible Spoilers **

I gave this a 1 because IMDb wouldn't let me give it a zero.

I also must admit that I watched only 30 minutes of this piece of garbage. The hijacking of the President's aircraft by terrorists posing as Russian media was difficult to believe. That six people would be able to carry off such a feat, given the number of secret service agents that travel with the president, is highly unlikely. That hundreds of rounds from automatic weapons and large-caliber handguns could be fired on board an aircraft without affecting any critical systems is debatable. That terrorists could blow the cockpit door open, using some sort of plastic explosive, detonating it by firing a pistol at it (hitting it on the first shot, no less!), yet not injure the pilots or cause any damage to the flight deck is astonishing. When they managed to take control of the plane during landing, perform several off-road maneuvers with the plane that would make a Jeep proud, then get a Boeing 747 airborne again without benefit of a runway, that's when I went Popeye and decided I'd had all I could stand and I could stand no more.

I can suspend my disbelief as well as the next guy, but this was just asking too much.

I won't even go into the cheesy script and listless acting. Shameful.
68 out of 114 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Air Farce Number One
villard12 February 2006
This movie is intriguing in that it actually presages some of the terrorism realized in the tragedy of 9/11.

That said, the film is mortally flawed with stupid and ridiculous contrivances that make is more of a comic book yarn than having the sophistication of, say, a Tom Clancy novel.

High on the "oh come on get real!" factor:

1. Any White House PressSecretary would be far too astute to let a self-describe TV journalist on Air Force One (AF1). The very first thing they would do is check the reporter's credentials and publication/broadcast record.

2. The spectacle of a 747 jumbo jet careering through an airport on an aborted landing is simply light-years beyond absurd.

3. Why would AF1 have a stash of enough assault rifles to take over a small country? And, with all the gunplay in the passenger cabin there's not one bullet hole in the fuselage?

4. I have it on good authority that Air Force One does have countermeasures, but putting the president in an escape pod – though fundamental to the plot – it just inane. That's the *last* thing you would do with the U.S. President at 30,000 ft.

5. Equally ridiculous is the idea that AF1 conveniently has more parachutes onboard than the Titanic had life preservers. Just as silly is the image of Washington bureaucrats easily jumping off the plane at 15,000 ft.

6. I've been inside an open, stripped-down 747 airframe, there isn't nearly as much room as shown on the cargo deck. There certainly isn't room for a cargo deck vending machine?!

I could go on and on, but this film is another example of filmmakers believing that movies goers are gullible enough to swallow any tall tale for the sake of lots of action shots and melodrama. If you've gonna concoct an action drama tale like this, at least have one foot in reality and plausibility, or otherwise call it "science fiction."
68 out of 115 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Beyond All Belief
graestella24 April 2013
Tried again to watch this dross again on the TV last night. Failed again. I stood twenty minutes this time, until the bullshit meter went off the clock. The ridiculous SEAL team battle at the beginning where the baddies were all bad shots was laughable. Then the assault on the 747 with rifles firing on full auto was utterly ridiculous. It would have taken only one of these rounds to have punctured the pressure hull, yet none did.

Why did some rooms on the plane seem to be huge offices on dry land and nothing like plane compartments ? To get past the obvious security checks simply have a platoons worth of M16s already on the plane for them to use. Surely a dumb move by the Secret Service, an even dumber move by the scriptwriters. Why did Ford and Oldman waste their time on this? Had a big bill just come in from the IRS ?
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
When Harrison Ford is President, All Hell Breaks Loose
gavin694216 October 2006
Harrison Ford plays a president who refuses to negotiate with terrorists. But after one terrorist (Gary Oldman) hijacks the Air Force One and the president's wife and daughter, maybe he will have to rethink his position.

Allegedly, Kevin Costner was supposed to be playing the president. Boy am I glad he was too busy making "The Postman" for this movie. Not only did he make a great Postman, but he would have made a horrible president. When you want drama, you call Costner. When you want action, you call Bruce Willis. When you want the perfect blend of drama and action, you call Harrison Ford (think "The Fugitive", for example... don't think "Star Wars").

Ford is great as a diplomat, but equally as good with a gun and in a fight. But the real star of this is Gary Oldman, who plays an evil and soulless terrorist determined to get his old general freed from prison. Oldman plays it like he means it, killing mercilessly while still appearing cold and calculated rather than insane. The writer even had the decency to have Oldman deliver lines condemning the president for bombing villages while being against terror.

Glenn Close and Dean Stockwell made great supporting stars, and even William H. Macy seemed a little less flamboyant than usual in his role as a military man.

This film is especially interesting in the context of our current president, George W. Bush. Bush has also gone on record many times for not negotiating with terrorists and takes a hardline approach similar to Harrison Ford. What would Bush do if terrorists hijacked his plane or kidnapped his family? Even giving me that visual image made this film worth the viewing.
35 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good Solid Fun
mjw23054 February 2006
An Action movie is made to entertain, and should always be taken at face value. With this in mind Air Force One hits the mark, despite some minor flaws it still delivers tension, drama and action in abundance.

The cast is strong and full of believable characters, the story is compelling and the traditional dose of sentiment is added sparingly and to good effect. Harrison Ford and Gary Oldman both put in solid performances and they are well supported by the likes of Glenn Close and Wendy Crewson.

Overall Air Force One is an safe bet for the average movie fan and should entertain most, without ever really excelling.

50 out of 89 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great adventure
bat-53 August 1999
Air Force One is one great ride. What makes it work so well is the conviction that Harrison Ford and Gary Oldman bring to their roles. You can see in each actor's eyes that they stand behind what they believe in. Gary Oldman makes a perfect villian and a very complex one at that. He is not just an average, run of the mill madman. He has a family, he is someone's son and those facts make him that much more real. Harrison Ford is great as the president. He's strong, quick witted, and will do anything he can to save his family and staff from the hijackers. A good ride that will keep you on the edge of your seat for two hours, just as long as you don't ask any questions.
60 out of 109 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Air Head One.
Python Hyena8 August 2015
Air Force One (1997): Dir: Wolfgang Peterson / Cast: Harrison Ford, Gary Oldman, Glenn Close, Wendy Crewson, Dean Stockwell: At long last Harrison Ford plays the President and he believes in a country of moral fiber. Boy, does he have high hopes. Terrorist attack Air Force One and it is believed that the President escaped by pod but he refuses to leave without his family. This means that he will take on the enemy at their own game until reaching a stupid beyond stupid climax that has the President duke it out with the head terrorist. Give me a break and a bloody Tylenol to help digest the crap this film dished out! Are the makers of this film that totally ignorant or do they just lack a sense of reality? I was waiting for Wolfgang Peterson to emerge the President in tights and a cape from a phone booth. This is one of the dumbest ideas of the year, and despite Gary Oldman's efforts as the villain, the role is still predictable. That means that the President will eat his spinach and grow super powers and kick his ass. Glenn Close does her best as Vice-President but fails to make us believe that she actually gives a sh*t. Is that not the phony agenda of this bullshit? Wendy Crewson as the First lady is as flat as an A cup bra. The film is an example of overspending and good actors who should have been cast in a better film. Film's purpose is to create the biggest Americanized peep show. Score: 1 / 10
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Breathtaking compendium of clichés
Robert J. Maxwell11 February 2006
"The plane is damaged, one of his engines is out, and he's leaking fuel. How can he make it?" Something like that anyway. The clichés came so thick and fast I couldn't remember them all. I couldn't even GRASP them all quickly enough, piled as they were, one atop the other, like a pile of Leggos.

I don't really think it's necessary to bother with the script except to say a rogue group of Russians hijacks Air Force One, is overcome by the President of the United States, and most of the good guys are saved and all of the bad guys perish, usually in some colorful fashion.

Wolfgang Petersen made a gripping movie with "Das Boot." It was a long flick of mostly quiet moments, a leisurely examination of life aboard a U-Boat, punctuated with shocking moments of action. In "Air Force One" Petersen's talents have been -- dare I say "hijacked" by Hollywood? There is no leisurely examination of anything. There is neither leisure nor examination. All the parts that might bore a twelve-year-old weaned on Call of Duty have been cut out of the script and nothing is left but one recycled action scene after another, some of them already parodied in "Airplane", backed up by a booming score.

Here's an indication of how the movie was assembled, the kind of thought that went into it. When it was released there appeared an article in the NY Times written by an actor (whose name I now forget) playing one of the characters (whose name I don't know) in innocent conversation with Harrison Ford as the President, when shots are heard from elsewhere in Air Force One as the takeover starts.

As the actor described the first run-through, at the sound of the gunshots, he rose to his feet and sauntered over to the window to find out what was up. He was told he'd have to jump to his feet and run to the door. "Why?" he asked. "The Secret Service is aboard, there are security agents all over. Nobody could possibly be expecting an armed attack. A normal reaction would be to try to find out what the noise was." He was told by the director that everyone in the scene would immediately recognize the gunshots for exactly what they were. Ford, a seasoned veteran of such attacks, told the actor tiredly, "They're gunshots, period." Why waste three or four flaccid seconds having the actor stroll to the door? That kind of dedication and efficiency is in evidence throughout "Air Force One." Bang, bang, whoosh, zap. The President, by the way, is practically superhuman. He speaks Russian albeit with a gloopi American accent. He cuts his bound wrists free and immediately disarms and kills two or three of his captors. I lost count. Well, okay, he was a CMH winner. But then how did he learn to fly a jumbo jet? Never mind.

A more interesting question is how did they pick the villains? Kazakhistan rebels? A rogue group of Russians? This is rather retro stuff because absolutely nobody watching the movie knows or cares about Kazakhistan or its internal affairs. The simple fact is that viewers will see and hear the heavies speaking Russian and that will be enough for them. (I forget when "Crimson Tide" was released, using the same ploy. It's the Russkies again alright, only a splinter group.) The faces of American fighter pilots are illuminated by a comforting pale off-white light, while their opposite numbers are as green as algae. To top it off, the Russian Premier looks like Jonathan Winters coming down from battery acid while our President looks exactly like Harrison Ford. And if you STILL don't get the point, the Kazakhhomaniac rebels sing a rousing version of "Die Internazionale." Nowadays, of course, nine years later, they'd all be speaking Arabic.

The movie offers some fascinating tidbits in addition to its knuckle-whitening suspense. The set representing the interior of Air Force One, for instance. It's full of nooks and crannies and it seems about the size of the Dixie Hotel. Functional furniture, but comfortable and expensive. Soundproof, bulletproof, insulated against an atomic blast. A staff of well-trained servants who know when to leave the master alone to ponder weighty questions about the world's future. (In all these respects it rather resembles my place.) It also has a steam pipe, which the list of clichés calls for, just as in those factories or warehouses in which the final shootout takes place in other action movies. The steam pipe is shot up and people in pursuit of each other wisp their way through the mist. What is that steam pipe doing there? Have we been mistaken all these years about how jet engines work? Are modern airplanes really powered by the same plants that made the Stanley Steamer roll on its merry way? I half expected Ford to stumble across the gigantic elastic band that spun the engine blandes. What makes it finally so preposterous is the notion that this or any other country could organize itself with such alacrity and efficiency in the face of an unexpected emergency of these proportions.

When the president finally contacts the situation room and asks who has taken over Air Force One, the reply is, "A group of Russian ultra-nationalists." This is nothing more than cashing in on ancient hatreds for a buck. And we pay for that self satisfaction on the world stage, by damaging the image of America abroad. How about a Russian movie in which a group of murdering thugs tries to kidnap Vladimir Putin and they are called "American ultra-nationalists"? How would we respond?

As propaganda it is retrograde and execrable crap. As a movie, it's just another "Airport 97" with the president and his family aboard.
13 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
How comes W.Petersen ended up by doing...this?
Lachesis29 September 1999
What happened? After Das Boot, after Outbreak...in brief after those two quite good movies, Wolfgang Petersen does Air Force 1! How could such a ludicrous, pompous, deliberately over-stuffed with fake patriotism, weak and annoying film be made by such a usually good director? Of course, we all make mistakes, but mistakes as vapid and yet as expensive as that? Another thing that I don't understand is how comes actors like Harrison Ford, Gary Oldman and Glenn Close could agree to play in that "masterpiece"? Oldman does a terrific job, as usual. At least his character doesn't look dumb, shallow and dull. Wait, wasn't he supposed to be the absolute bad guy? Then how comes he's so sympathetic? Perhaps because all the others are so irritating. Harrison Ford plays...his usual self without the sense of humor.

As one of the users so accurately put it, this movie insults our intelligence. To avoid at all costs (or see it for Oldman's performance).
14 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Brilliant comedy, crappiest action movie
orion34-111 October 2002
The times of the cold war have gone a long time ago, so why chew on this subject in the very end of the 20th century? Some people seem to be unaware of this fact. What surprises us is that among these people are actors that are famous and respected in the whole world, and also that this horrible movie has eaten so much money and it's being sold as an action movie. This movie is the reincarnation of Rocky III (& alike movies from the cold war era) idea, where Rocky (Stallone) was chasing enemy tanks on a horse :)

Harrison Ford is a good actor, but they forgot to warn him that this movie is a joke, and he took it too seriously - which makes him look ridiculous. (Maybe it would have been a good idea to invite Eddie Murphy instead?). It's understood that some Americans would like to see Indiana Jones (or Swarzenegger, or Stallone) as their president :) Even though Gary Oldman is known for playing bad guys, this time he did a bad job - he has nothing in common with Russians. Sorry Gary, we know you have very good brains and lots of decent offers, guess your agent didn't read the script carefully and when you realized how bad it was, there was no turning back.....

We laughed our asses off hearing those presumably Russian characters and trying to understand what they were saying. Actually the only Russian actor who spoke perfect Russian (he said two words!) was killed in the very beginning :) Big mistake :) And during the rest of the movie we were reading the English translation being unable to get through horrible American accents of the "Russians".

President Petrov is as funny as if the American president was called John Smith :)

From our Russian point of view, it's a surprise that this movie wasn't prohibited here in Russia. Well, looks like our country has more freedom and sense of humour :) We are happy that we watched this movie on the TV and didn't spend a single ruble on buying or renting it (just lost 2 hours of our time), otherwise we would have been sorry. Actually we don't really regret spending our time, it's been a long time since we laughed that much on a movie that wasn't meant to be a comedy :)

P.S. No offense meant towards America and Americans, we've read other people's comments and it's obvious that most of them share our point of view. Friendship forever :)

Oleg & Olga, Moscow, former USSR
54 out of 107 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
High Tension, Action, Heroism & PC
ccthemovieman-12 December 2005
A very clichéd but interesting film with a two-fisted President of the United States (Harrison Ford) literally taking on terrorism himself on board his jet, Air Force One. Believable? Of course not, but it's an story that hooks you in and keeps you involved all the way. It could have been trimmed down, to be sure, but the better-than-average action scenes help make up for that. While not blatant, the film did have it's typical Hollywood Liberal slant with political correctness abounding....so be aware of that. It borders on reverse sexism and racism and there is a fair share of profanity in here if you are concerned about that.

The sound on the DVD is tremendous with some excellent rear speaker action. It would be great demo model for anyone's surround sound system. It adds measurably to the enjoyment of the film. If you like action and a lot of tension, this film has it. It's one of those movies that wears you out by the end of it!
39 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Will the real president please stand up?
departed0714 May 2008
I know what you're thinking, "What the hell is he saying?" It's true that we've had so many biographies about presidents in which some of the movies told about historic incidents, why not have a fictional president that could kick ass and take names? Harrison Ford is the man for the job.

"Air Force One" is a thriller that involves Russian terrorist Ivan Korshunov (Gary Oldman) and his gang of criminals hijacking the first plane along with the president's wife and child and his staff. Meanwhile, President James Marshall (Harrison Ford) is hiding after an attack on the ship where he must reunite with his family before they end up victims to Ivan's plan if the president doesn't release a Russian prisoner who happens to be a general and a terrorist.

The film itself is a nail bitter thriller with an all star cast as Ford and Oldman play their usual good guy/villain roles with Glenn Close, Wendy Crewson, Xander Berkerly and William H. Macy in supporting roles. If there was such thing where Harrison Ford had a nomination for president, I would vote.
11 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Air Force One, 1st among the crappiest crap
franbelgar12 August 2002
I have seen good movies, mediocre movies and bad movies. I have seen very bad European "arty" movies and very good U.S. ones despite being a little bit of a mass market product. But Air Force One is a movie that breaks all records of low quality and standards.

What really puzzles me is why on earth respectable, decent actors agree to play such idiotic characters in unbelievable stupid and over-budgeted productions. Of course I didn't expect to find an award-winning movie with such a gringo topic, but I did expect to have good acting with a fairly decent story, nothing fantastic but at least worthy of spending two hours watching. This was not the case.

Ok, most of Hollywood movies go somewhere along these lines: democracy defenders and Beacons of the World (i.e. The U.S.)suffer some kind of attack by some crazy, fanatic, and perverted representative of the forces of Evil (i.e. anyone but the U.S.); although the good ones are outnumbered, outwitted and cornered by the evil ones, they always find a way to overcome the crisis and win. In summary any of George Bush's pot dreams. But, aside from the inherent comedy involved in such ideas, why spend valuable resources such as production money and top actor's salary if just a simple action hero and (good) digital special effects would do?

Poor story, poor acting, non-existent continuity or factual veracity in a single movie cannot be accidental. There must be a hidden significance, a conspiracy. Bring in Mulder and Scully, fast!

The only thing that made me happy after watching this piece of truly American chedar was that I didn't pay to watch it at the cinema, but only spent the equivalent of less than USD2.00 for the second-hand VCD, though I still think I spent too much. Can I have a refund?
15 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
awful
maximuss-569-22670130 October 2009
Normally, people do their registration and first comment on IMDb to praise some great film they really liked and felt a need to share their impressions. Regrettably, I had to do opposite.

This evening I tried to watch this "movie", but what the heck... I really don't understand you guys, who give it seven or more stars. I probably didn't get the point of this film?? It is full of clichés, full of flaws and often I felt just embarrassed. President of the US fights professional killers and outsmart them all alone... ha ha. I have to admit that I was not able to watch this till the end.

Maybe I wasn't in the mood for that kind of movie. But it is definitely not for someone who wants to use his brain. Sorry.
20 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Very nice action flick!
MovieAddict201619 August 2002
Although it is very unrealistic, AIR FORCE ONE is just pure, 100% fun at the movies. Anyone who takes this serious has a problem. It's not meant to be, it's just supposed to be an entertaining, fun, action packed thrill ride. Action haters beware! The acting was great-as usual with any Harrison Ford film- the directing was good, and it's like I said before, just good plain fun! So take my advice, see Air Force One, and don't take it too seriously. Just have fun watching it! 3.5/5 stars!

JOHN ULMER
23 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Exciting! Exciting! Exciting!
jhaggardjr20 May 2000
"Air Force One" is an action picture so full of excitement that it had me on the edge of my seat when I first saw it on the big screen back in 1997. This movie is one heck of a ride. Harrison Ford gives one of the best performances of his career as one U.S. President not to mess with. There are also terrific performances turned in by Glenn Close as the Vice President who deals with the terrorist's demands, and Gary Oldman in a scary piece of acting as the lead terrorist. The other actors in the movie do a good job also. In addition to the performances, there are two other big elements that make "Air Force One" a great movie: the special effects and action scenes; and the presence of the plane itself. The action scenes are some of the best I've ever seen. And when we first see the plane from the inside, it looks as if were on a tour of the actual Air Force One itself and it's fascinating. Suspenseful, thrilling, and just downright exciting, "Air Force One" is a definite must-see.

**** (out of four)
22 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good actors, bad movie...(spolers)
Morfeus Ivanovich3 August 2004
Five things we learn after watching this movie: 1.All Russians are either terrorists or cowards. 2.MP5, MP5K, M4 and Sig Sauer PRO are superior wonders of Western weaponary, which need no reloading ever. 3.When 6 Russian fighters attack Air Force One only one of them will fire at a time.(Courtesy towards enemy anti-missle system, I guess:)) 4.In air combat, Russian pilots never maneuver, even when targeted, guess, there is no chance to escape superior American missiles, so they don't bother anyway. 5.When a terrorist fires a gun, the bullet is stopped by body armor. When President fires the same gun, bullets go through armor like a knife through butter. 2/10 for casting Oldman.
15 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wretched, inane, infantile, moronic excuse for a film
xtonybueno6 June 2000
Those are probably the nicest words I can use to describe this steaming pile of excrement posing (badly) as a movie. Ludicrous and insulting to the intelligence in almost every scene, I might be able to forgive this if it were done in a campy, "just for laughs" style, but this is ridiculous!

Harrison Ford was once one of my favorite actors, but after this debacle I will never again have the respect I once held for this thespian. Every performance was completely over the top and subsequently unconvincing. The physics and logistical plot holes were unforgivable. And the utter predictability is the final nail in this movie's coffin. I would have walked out long before the end, but I just had to stay to see if I could see if what I predicted would come true. As soon as it did, I split. That this movie received ANY positive reviews is revealing and sad, and the attitude that the world would end if anything happened to our beloved president frankly makes me embarrassed to be an American. One of the worst movies (if not THE worst) I have ever had the misfortune of seeing.
13 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hollywood Trash - This Movie Should Be Outlawed
daveisit7 December 2000
Wow! This was bad. This type of movie really puts me through a lot of pain yet somehow I keep hoping that maybe the next one I see will be different or better. The money spent on this absolute trash is amazing, sad, and so disturbing. As for Harrison Ford, he must be a little lost. Presumably he can pick and choose his roles, and either no longer cares or has been lucky to have made a few good choices earlier on in his career.

The couple of interesting facts (although the writers probably made them up) in the movie should have been told to the audience at the start of the movie. This would have enabled us all to go home with the possibility of having a little bit of respect left for the Hollywood Circus.
16 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Good acting
mm-399 June 2001
Ford and Oldman have strong performances, and the script is incredible. Unlike most action movies this film is fresh, and the Russian villains act as believable terrorists. Too bad Ford is not the US President, I would vote for him any day. The director, who did Das Boat, directs this film mechanically, and it is a pleasure to watch the mechanics of this film unravel.
9 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this