Air Force One (1997) Poster

(1997)

401 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Fun to watch, if you do not make a big deal out of technical accuracy.
Randall Cameron19 June 2005
Very entertaining action, once you get past the "believability" problems, i.e., terrorists getting on the plane at all, the plane having an on-board armory, Secret Service agents' inability to shoot accurately, etc.

Acting is good enough that you care about the characters.

As others have noted, the CGI aerial sequences sometimes have the aircraft moving in unnatural or impossible ways, and this is visually jarring. (After the touch-and-go, Air Force One turns a 180 almost like a helicopter) I gave it a 7 out of 10 - not brilliant, but makes for an entertaining evening.
33 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A good action-adventure film with great special effects…
Nazi_Fighter_David11 May 2008
Marshall is the kind of President referred to a change in the U.S. foreign policy… He took a great risk when he stated that America will no longer tolerate any terrorist government… His policy is soon put in practice when he boards his plane on his way home…

Once is in the sky, 'Air Force One' is hijacked and currently controlled by Russian radicals who ask for the release of their leader or they'll execute a prisoner every half hour…

Harrison Ford is the action hero making his way through the plane taking out few terrorists, managing to free several hostages, trying to get to his wife and daughter who are prisoners on board…

Gary Oldman almost steals the show as the head terrorist Ivan Korshunov who takes over the president's plane…

Beautifully directed by Wolfgang Petersen who controls the action with his usual extreme intelligence, building the challenge with captivating, tense sequences from every compartment of the huge aircraft to the White House contingent in Washington…
55 out of 81 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Air Head One.
Python Hyena8 August 2015
Air Force One (1997): Dir: Wolfgang Peterson / Cast: Harrison Ford, Gary Oldman, Glenn Close, Wendy Crewson, Dean Stockwell: At long last Harrison Ford plays the President and he believes in a country of moral fiber. Boy, does he have high hopes. Terrorist attack Air Force One and it is believed that the President escaped by pod but he refuses to leave without his family. This means that he will take on the enemy at their own game until reaching a stupid beyond stupid climax that has the President duke it out with the head terrorist. Give me a break and a bloody Tylenol to help digest the crap this film dished out! Are the makers of this film that totally ignorant or do they just lack a sense of reality? I was waiting for Wolfgang Peterson to emerge the President in tights and a cape from a phone booth. This is one of the dumbest ideas of the year, and despite Gary Oldman's efforts as the villain, the role is still predictable. That means that the President will eat his spinach and grow super powers and kick his ass. Glenn Close does her best as Vice-President but fails to make us believe that she actually gives a sh*t. Is that not the phony agenda of this bullshit? Wendy Crewson as the First lady is as flat as an A cup bra. The film is an example of overspending and good actors who should have been cast in a better film. Film's purpose is to create the biggest Americanized peep show. Score: 1 / 10
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It is what it is......fun
Alvsy0077 March 2005
Nonstop action, thrilling suspense, dark humor, and a brilliant concept, this flag waving over the top action adventure was a good two hours in 1997.

The story: Enroute back to the States from Russia, Russian Nationals hijack the President's plane and hold him and his family (as well as most of his staff) hostage aboard Air Force One in order to release a Rouge General captured earlier.

Harrison Ford from his first minute to his last looks comfortable in his Presidential role. That's to say, Ford appears, acts and just plain feels like he should be President. (Come one who saw this movie and wanted him to run). Gary Oldman's performance as the main villain (Ivan) should be up there with the likes of Alan Rickman's Hans from Die Hard and John Malkovich's Leary-Booth-Carney from In the Line of Fire (coincidentally directed by Wolfgang Peterson as well). Glenn Close pulls of the Vice President role with smirks and spunk.

Stars aside I think the supporting cast should get an equal if not harder pat on the back. These guys…and girls…. really made the movie. They're the ones that brought the chuckles and caused gasps. Wendy Crewson (The Good Son) nailed her role with more grace than a first lady has actually shown in the last recallable years. Paul Guilfoyle ("CSI", The Negotiator), was the kind gentle, "best buddy", chief-of-staff, who brought a small smile to your face every time he is on-screen. Xander Berkeley ("24", Terminator 2), plays the chilling secret service agent Gibbs. The lovable William H. Macy plays the good-mannered Air Force Officer who puts himself in harm's way for the President more time than the Secret Service agents do. He just doesn't get enough screen time toward the beginning. And Dean Stockwell will have you cussing under your breath as the power-hungry Secretary of Defense. And it seems that Wolfgang Peterson watched every great Action/Military movie of the past 3 years and hired all those "briefing room generals". For this I applaud him. As for the terrorist, they rival those of Die hard. Cold, stone-faced, funny, smooth, and just plain hateable, they did their job.

The bulk of the movie takes place aboard the Air Force One no kidding eh?). And boy do you believe it. The production designer (Williams Sandell) obviously paid attention to detail, mimicking the real Presidential Aircraft. Small, claustrophobic and believable.

Andrew W. Marlowe's script gets it job done as well. Nothing award winning. It's everything you would expect given the story it has to tell. Couple times it will make you cringe, but again, look what it needs to accomplish.

The late Jerry Goldsmith's score for this movie is a hands down classic. Only having two weeks to score the film after Peterson rejected Randy Newman's work, Goldsmith with the help of Joel Mcneely composed one of the most bombastic, riveting, emotional, suspenseful, and patriotic scores I've heard come out of the film world. It works perfectly with the movie.

A few times your mind is going to be stretch you may have to resort to the "It's just a movie" mindset. Overall its fun. Not a bad way to spend 2 hours. Harrison Ford for President.
54 out of 82 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Holy Cremoly!
phiggins4 September 2006
Air Force One features Harrison Ford, Glenn Close, Gary Oldman, Dean Stockewell, and William H. Macy. A dream cast! In the freshest, friskiest, funniest, laugh-out-loudest comedy of the year! Cheer as President Harrison Ford takes on the baddies all by himself – "Right now, he's our only hope". Hiss as Dean Stockwell tries to get Glenn Close to sign away power and "take down Air Force One". Will she sign? Like hell! Sigh with relief when the fax machine stalls, stalls a little longer, and then… just when we'd given up hope… stalls a little longer, and then works! Clap like a whacked-out space cadet on class-a drugs when the fax lady parachutes to safety. Scratch your head a little when you realise that the big plot device of the bad guys having a guy on the inside is of no interest or use whatsoever. Ponder for a long time just why Gary Oldman's character doesn't just shoot the wife and the kid, for crying out loud. Marvel at the advances in special effects technology that can make a plane crash in a big budget movie look like a plane crash in a primitive video game. Thrills! Spills! Drama! Action! Utter, utter, crap!
64 out of 100 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
America, fock yeah
Christian Heynk7 September 2007
Now I admired the director Wolfgang Petersen after seeing DAS BOOT. This was a flick where I thought: Can't get any better. Of course, at the time, people obviously considered Hollywood a smart career move, but if we now take a look at Petersen's Hollywood films, I really think he should have stayed in Germany. Sure, he wouldn't have the money that he's having at his disposal now, but remember: DAS BOOT had a rather infinitesimal budget and nevertheless managed to thrill, enlighten and entertain millions of viewers. Now, what do we have: A German director who directs patriotic and nationalistic filth that invites the average American Joe to believe in the moral and military superiority of his own country. A movie that doesn't really discuss the topics at hand and divides the cast into good and evil with no shades of grey at all. There's one scene where Gary Oldman as the terrorist aboard the plane says to the president's daughter: Do you think your father is a better man because he's wearing a tie and a suit and because he uses smart bombs? I found this scene to be very interesting, however, in the film it is not dwelt upon. Instead we get Harrison Ford playing the father and leader of clean, wholesome politically America and being politically correct and charming and funny and whatnot. What's the moral of this film: God bless America and no place else.
43 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It doesn't get much worse than this
photobyalan5 April 2006
**Warning** Possible Spoilers **

I gave this a 1 because IMDb wouldn't let me give it a zero.

I also must admit that I watched only 30 minutes of this piece of garbage. The hijacking of the President's aircraft by terrorists posing as Russian media was difficult to believe. That six people would be able to carry off such a feat, given the number of secret service agents that travel with the president, is highly unlikely. That hundreds of rounds from automatic weapons and large-caliber handguns could be fired on board an aircraft without affecting any critical systems is debatable. That terrorists could blow the cockpit door open, using some sort of plastic explosive, detonating it by firing a pistol at it (hitting it on the first shot, no less!), yet not injure the pilots or cause any damage to the flight deck is astonishing. When they managed to take control of the plane during landing, perform several off-road maneuvers with the plane that would make a Jeep proud, then get a Boeing 747 airborne again without benefit of a runway, that's when I went Popeye and decided I'd had all I could stand and I could stand no more.

I can suspend my disbelief as well as the next guy, but this was just asking too much.

I won't even go into the cheesy script and listless acting. Shameful.
67 out of 113 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Air Farce Number One
villard12 February 2006
This movie is intriguing in that it actually presages some of the terrorism realized in the tragedy of 9/11.

That said, the film is mortally flawed with stupid and ridiculous contrivances that make is more of a comic book yarn than having the sophistication of, say, a Tom Clancy novel.

High on the "oh come on get real!" factor:

1. Any White House PressSecretary would be far too astute to let a self-describe TV journalist on Air Force One (AF1). The very first thing they would do is check the reporter's credentials and publication/broadcast record.

2. The spectacle of a 747 jumbo jet careering through an airport on an aborted landing is simply light-years beyond absurd.

3. Why would AF1 have a stash of enough assault rifles to take over a small country? And, with all the gunplay in the passenger cabin there's not one bullet hole in the fuselage?

4. I have it on good authority that Air Force One does have countermeasures, but putting the president in an escape pod – though fundamental to the plot – it just inane. That's the *last* thing you would do with the U.S. President at 30,000 ft.

5. Equally ridiculous is the idea that AF1 conveniently has more parachutes onboard than the Titanic had life preservers. Just as silly is the image of Washington bureaucrats easily jumping off the plane at 15,000 ft.

6. I've been inside an open, stripped-down 747 airframe, there isn't nearly as much room as shown on the cargo deck. There certainly isn't room for a cargo deck vending machine?!

I could go on and on, but this film is another example of filmmakers believing that movies goers are gullible enough to swallow any tall tale for the sake of lots of action shots and melodrama. If you've gonna concoct an action drama tale like this, at least have one foot in reality and plausibility, or otherwise call it "science fiction."
67 out of 114 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Beyond All Belief
graestella24 April 2013
Tried again to watch this dross again on the TV last night. Failed again. I stood twenty minutes this time, until the bullshit meter went off the clock. The ridiculous SEAL team battle at the beginning where the baddies were all bad shots was laughable. Then the assault on the 747 with rifles firing on full auto was utterly ridiculous. It would have taken only one of these rounds to have punctured the pressure hull, yet none did.

Why did some rooms on the plane seem to be huge offices on dry land and nothing like plane compartments ? To get past the obvious security checks simply have a platoons worth of M16s already on the plane for them to use. Surely a dumb move by the Secret Service, an even dumber move by the scriptwriters. Why did Ford and Oldman waste their time on this? Had a big bill just come in from the IRS ?
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
When Harrison Ford is President, All Hell Breaks Loose
gavin694216 October 2006
Harrison Ford plays a president who refuses to negotiate with terrorists. But after one terrorist (Gary Oldman) hijacks the Air Force One and the president's wife and daughter, maybe he will have to rethink his position.

Allegedly, Kevin Costner was supposed to be playing the president. Boy am I glad he was too busy making "The Postman" for this movie. Not only did he make a great Postman, but he would have made a horrible president. When you want drama, you call Costner. When you want action, you call Bruce Willis. When you want the perfect blend of drama and action, you call Harrison Ford (think "The Fugitive", for example... don't think "Star Wars").

Ford is great as a diplomat, but equally as good with a gun and in a fight. But the real star of this is Gary Oldman, who plays an evil and soulless terrorist determined to get his old general freed from prison. Oldman plays it like he means it, killing mercilessly while still appearing cold and calculated rather than insane. The writer even had the decency to have Oldman deliver lines condemning the president for bombing villages while being against terror.

Glenn Close and Dean Stockwell made great supporting stars, and even William H. Macy seemed a little less flamboyant than usual in his role as a military man.

This film is especially interesting in the context of our current president, George W. Bush. Bush has also gone on record many times for not negotiating with terrorists and takes a hardline approach similar to Harrison Ford. What would Bush do if terrorists hijacked his plane or kidnapped his family? Even giving me that visual image made this film worth the viewing.
35 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this