IMDb > "The Visitor" (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Visitor"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Visitor" More at IMDbPro »

A very well done show

Author: Pat (agentpat@john-corbett.com) from Boston, MA USA
13 February 1999

"The Visitor" was headed for greatness. It's unfortunate that it was only allowed to grace our television screens for 13 episodes. With such a high profile production team, established writers in the genre and an excellent cast, the show couldn't fail. All of the characters were quite likable, the plot believable (in an unbelievable kind of way), and the production value ranked right up there with any great sci-fi motion picture.

The show unfolded with a mature spin on today's attitudes and mindsets. The long story arc approach was brilliant; it got better and better after each episode. It was this exemplary writing style that brought viewers back each week, not the typical "part 1", "part 2" gimmick of using a hair-raising scene at the end of an episode that some novice writers often employ.

The actors were equally brilliant and entertaining as well. Their focus and enthusiasm toward the show and its message pervaded their performance so much that the viewer could relate and connect with their characters as if they were real people. I guess that's what it's all about, isn't it?

Anyway, it would be nice to see more episodes produced someday. The fans all remain hopeful.

A show that should have been allowed to continue

Author: bjwebb3749
20 July 2002

"The Visitor" was a mature, well written science fiction drama in which the writers made the assumption that their target audience was intelligent and could follow the continuing story arc. Unfortunately, TV brass don't seem to believe that intelligence and TV audience have anything in common. So they killed a fantastic science fiction series after 13 episodes. What a shame.

Quality

Author: mikey_editor from Paris
30 March 2001

This is a quality show, from the well-written scripts, to the carefully-chosen cast to the amazing plot line. There are patronizing cheap outs here. Even the things that go unexplained are well-presented so as to enhance believeability. It deserved a longer run (or, at least, a movie).

Make more episodes!

Author: Torbjoern Laundal (bsekker@online.no) from Norway
14 November 1998

Cool series.. John Corbett is a great actor, I first saw him in Northern Exposure.. too bad there are so few episodes of this series..

Combination of "The Fugitive" and "Starman"

Author: kelleyjhr from Sourthern CA
3 February 2013

This show is my all time 2nd favorite TV show ever. 2nd only to the original "Star Trek" which only lasted 3 years, but came back with 5 or 6 spin offs and movies, eventually lasting for almost 4 decades now.

The Visitor was a great combination of "The Fugitive" meets "Starman". The Visitor was nominated for several awards. The writing was great, the character development was great, I am left baffled why it was ever canceled. I loved the conflict between the FBI and the NSA, and the concept that Adam's physiology was corrected, giving back his ability to use the other 90% of his brain, thus enabling him to use telekinesis and telepathy.

Does anyone know if this show was ever produced on DVD. I would love to buy it!

Great show, some new ideas

Author: Doug Payne from Timmins, Canada
18 October 2001

So once again, another good series gets terminated before it really has a chance to prove itself. This occurence is familiar, as it ended after only 13 episodes, like Key West did in 1993. Recall Key West had new ideas also. This series had many good ideas, such as a person who was transported 40 years into the future, and learned much that could help humankind in years to come. The shows main character Adam McArthur reminded others about how there is so much more to the world than meets the eye and your mind is capable of much more than most of us use. Here, in the 21st century, we could use a show like this one with more hope and a positive outlook. Has anyone in network TV considered giving this one another try?

Wow.. Fantastic

Author: (satyren_1999@yahoo.com) from Sweden
24 August 2001

John Corbett (Who I first saw in another series called Northern Frontiers) is marvellous in this series... Empathic,kindhearted yet mysterious like a wandering magician, while being hounded by the government who desperately seeks to get what they think he hides..

Unfortunately only 13 episodes was made of this series,but I like so many fans of this great series hopes that the series will be picked up again, so that we may learn more about the Character Adam McArthur..

He is truly a mystery waiting to be solved, an enigma waiting for an answer..

Wow.. Fantastic

Author: (satyren_1999@yahoo.com) from Sweden
24 August 2001

Adam McArthur..

He is truly a mystery waiting to be solved, an enigma waiting for an answer..

Seems like 13 really is an unlucky number, doesn't it?

Author: Caitlin (MorgaineleFay85@yahoo.com) from Tallahassee, FL
3 August 2001

Prey, Crusade, Visitor: all examples of great shows that have gotten the ax after 13 episodes. It's unfortunate, really, because I've enjoyed watching these shows from taped episodes as well as showings on SciFi. Visitor is a very well written show, although iffy in a few spots. The actors did a great job, and I hope that they film either a few more eps or maybe a TV movie to tie loose ends.

Make more episodes

Author: cathyc from Boston, MA
1 December 1998

I wish they'd make more episodes, too! I kept hoping he would eventually meet up with his son. I was so bummed when the series was canceled and it seemed like they rushed the final episode because it had been canceled.