IMDb > "Veronica's Closet" (1997) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Veronica's Closet" More at IMDbPro »

If this show was a person, it would be called Rodney Dangerfield

Author: The Frisco Kid from San Francisco, California
6 October 2000

This undeservedly-trashed gem might very well be the most underrated sitcom of the past decade. After initial good reviews, the critics unfairly began tearing it apart, and the American public at large - who aren't exactly known for their keen abilities to form their own opinions - promptly followed suit. What the detractors obviously never got was the series' clever satire, something that is sorely missing from that "other" Bright, Kauffman and Crane show (the bafflingly-popular "Friends"). "Veronica's Closet" tore apart the frivolous underwear industry, the phony bigwig designers and the vacuous high-profile fashion models, all with ease. The casting was terrific with Kirstie Alley, Kathy Najimy, Wallace Langham, Daryl Mitchell and even Dan Cortese exhibiting great chemistry and playing well off on one another. The series would hit a bumpy patch in the middle of its run, thanks to NBC's interference, endless cast and producer shuffling, and the unfortunate miscasting of the otherwise talented Ron Silver. Sadly, just as it was beginning to get back on track towards the end, NBC treated it like the unwanted stepchild, yanked it off the schedule for the likes of "God, the Devil & Bob" (which they cancelled a mere three weeks after premiering), and finally junked it before the finale could even air.

Even at its worst, "Veronica's Closet" was far from the worst show on television. But just like Rodney Dangerfield, it never got any respect.

Quite A Good Show

Author: Derrado18 from Australia
28 January 2004

I have watched nearly all of the episodes from all 3 seasons (thank you re-runs on cable) and I have thoroughly enjoyed Veronica's Closet. I bet most of the people who deem it "crappy" are people who have never watched it, and are affixiated on reality television. But I guess everybody's entitled to an opinion. Anyway, Kirstie Alley, Kathy Najimy and the rest of the cast shine. At first I hated Season 2: the original opening sequence was dropped, and Ron Silver was added, but now that I watch it, it was just as quality as Season 1 and 3 (maybe just a bit less so) Many people just seem so hellbent on picking faults of this show - so what if Kirstie Alley was a little chubby?! Must every actress be pencil-thin, eg Callista Flockhart? So what if her hair changed? Why must you think you can blame this show for being crap just because Alley had blonde streaks? Veronica's Closet is an entertaining, funny show. It may not be a classic like Frasier or Seinfeld, but it deserves better than some of these insulting remarks. And it deserves better than being cancelled by NBC.

Great!

Author: barrysheene from venice, Italy
20 November 2004

I don't know which season is now running here in Italy on Fox satellite TV, but I find it really irresistible. In my opinion it is one of the best sit comedy of this period, full of humor and great intelligence. It makes you smiling even after one bad day. Kristie is very good to joke with herself (for example about getting fat), not so easy for a top actress, and she is funny as she was in "cin cin" ( I don't know the American name, is the sit comedy in a pub with Ted Danson). All the other actors are nearly unknown here in Italy, but they all work well. In my personal opinion it's more funny then "Friends" and I'm sorry to know it's ended.

Super-Funny Show!

Author: dream-warrior2001 from United States
31 December 2004

I have to disagree with everyone who thinks that this show was from the pits of hell. This show was so funny I found myself literally on the floor laughing.

Maybe the show was an oversexed comedy, but what do you expect from a sitcom based loosely on Victoria's Secret? I mean, when you get Kirstie Alley & Kathy Najimy together as a comedy duo, you know it has to be funny is SOME aspect! And, as crude as it may sound, toilet humor really seemed to fit with this show. It was subtle but so obvious making it a winning comedy. My favorite episode is 'Veronica's Perfect Man' in which Ronnie's date is constantly farting and embarrassing her and her co-workers.

If you think this show sucks then go back to watching Nova because you aren't ready for prime time!

Love this show!

Author: Bernardo from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
22 January 2005

It's one of the best shows ever! Dunno why it ended so early.. I was expecting at least a decade of a such funny sitcom! Some worst sitcoms are lasting more than this! That's so unfair.. Kirstie Alley is surprisingly funny as the leading character Veronica, and well, she never gets boring! The leading roles, tend to be boring, but this one no! She's very funny, sweet, crazy and stuff! And etc..! Dunno why this series got so many bad reviews.. It's so funny and so intelligent as Friends, and The Nanny.. Kathy Najimy is also very funny as Olive, and the whole cast! Even Ron Silver, as Alec! I don't laugh for everything, and this series still crack me up every time, some situations there, just make you laugh out and loud. It's really worth a check. I hope they return with this sitcom.. I really miss new episodes.. even tho we watch the old ones, and you never get tired! You still laugh from the same thing over and over again, and it's very rare to this happens nowadays.. It's really disappointed it got cancel.. It should never get cancelled! It was a great idea, and great acted and well, it just should never be cancelled.. I miss V&C :(

Such A Shame...

Author: rezzon8 from England, Yeah.
3 May 2002

OK, I don't know what all you people are talking about. The 3rd season of this sitcom SUCKED.

The first season, on the other hand, was brilliant - it was laugh-out-loud funny (a whole lot better than the boring, repetitive "Friends"), and it satirised the fashion industry and all its air-head models so...beautifully.

I never missed an episode. I would watch each one about 3 times until the following week's episode. But once Hunter came in and took over the company, I felt physically sick. "NO!" I thought. After that, the sitcom got worse and worse, what with the boring Alec Bilson (Ron Silver) and the excruciatingly unfunny 3rd season featuring the great June (one of the redeeming but under-used features of that season). I have not seen those "final-and-previously-unaired" episodes, as I lost interest in the show.

But I wish NBC would just take the show from the first season, before Hunter took over the company, and carry it on from there. Correct the mistakes; forget everything that happened afterwards, don't introduce anybody new (ALWAYS a mistake, in my opinion), keep the great characters of Veronica's dad Pat and ex-husband Bryce, and let "Veronica's Closet" save itself from itself.

Ron Silver killed this under-rated comedy

Author: TelevisionJunkie from Texas
4 February 2001

It's such a shame when networks decide that there's something wrong with their hit shows. "Veronica's Closet" is a perfect example. Instead of trying to keep the chemistry that made the show hysterical in the first season, they decided to tinker with it, cause its untimely death. When they dropped Robert Prosky and brought in Ron Silver to play Ronnie's new boss and love interest, Alec, it seems that they tried to re-create the chemistry Alley had on "Cheers," but Silver is no Ted Danson. I don't even like Ted Danson, but I wouldn't insult him by comparing the two! In the third season, after Alec's airhead bride pushed him into a volcano and took over the company, the show seemed to be getting back to its roots, but thanks to NBC's dumb idea to reschedule it, the series lost its core audience and was prematurely jerked from the airwaves. The final episodes, which didn't air until USA Network got a hold of them, were among the best, but sadly, NBC decided the show was over. . .Thanks so much to the brain-dead exec that cast Silver!

In step with the 30-something white collars and bras

Author: Vedek from Albuquerque, New Mexico
25 March 1999

Veronica's Closet is a sophisticated "sitcom," obviously aimed at the thirtysomething, fortysomething demographics. A lot of its humor is probably too subtle for the x-gen, even the high school graduates. Kirstie Alley and Kathy Najimy are old pros who play off one another with a grace and professionalism that's a joy to watch. Ron Silver was probably brought in to add star quality to the production and he succeeds admirably. His style is definitely "old school suave and debonair." Dan Cortese, Wallace Langham, and Daryl Mitchell provide the thirtysomething flavor, sexy young men who fill three slots: darkly handsome, boy-next-door, and even more darkly sexy. The humor is right on, just what you'd expect in a workplace called Veronica's Closet.

THIS SHOW SUCKS!

Author: Charlie-143 from Roanoke, VA
20 September 1999

This has GOT to be the WORST show I have ever seen! I cannot believe that it is still on. The jokes(?) are stupid, the writing is bad, and it is just plain horrible! They should just take a hint and cancel it! Who watches that crap?

Why so serious?

Author: mmcompact from Czech Republic
3 May 2013

I don't understand how it gets such bad reviews sometimes. I know it's been some time since it was on air. Especially here in Czech republic. I was about 12 or 14, I don't remember shows from abroad used to get here pretty late, and I can't say I didn't love the show. I used to record it on a tape and we would watch it with my older sister eagerly. And I don't remember me not laughing every episode. i admit that in the third season it wasn't as funny and as energetic as the first season but still I wouldn't say it's even remotely bad. Sitcoms are usually getting very predictable after few season because the characters can't live on variations of their peculiar gags forever and there are only few sitcoms that kept somewhat medium quality. However, nobody can take Veronica's closet away from me. It's a hilarious show that can take you through a rainy day.